(Close Window)
Topic: Well, wish me luck here
"It's a Sunday, it's a good day, my stuff is ready and there's a bus in 20 minutes going to the park"

"Hit it!"

(With apologies to Jake and Elwood)
"Break a Wand."
Let us know how it went.
I wish you luck! Many full hats to you! Let us know how it goes.
Have a good one Ed. Im sure you will.
James
Thanks guys, "many full hats" doesn't really happen here but I did do about $40.
Which for Providence (and me) is pretty good.
Nice crowds, got a lot of really good kids (which means their parents were happy to fork over some bills for making their children happy) one lady even gave me a $10!

Got a Friday off coming up, will try some more.
Hello Ed.

You sound pleased you made $40, good for you ;) How many hours did you put in to recieve $40? What effects did you perform?

You sound like you're comfortable entertaining children which is great, do you do balloon modelling when you busk?

Best.

Neil.

[quote]
On 2011-07-18 05:38, ed rhodes wrote:
Thanks guys, "many full hats" doesn't really happen here but I did do about $40.
Which for Providence (and me) is pretty good.
Nice crowds, got a lot of really good kids (which means their parents were happy to fork over some bills for making their children happy) one lady even gave me a $10!

Got a Friday off coming up, will try some more.
[/quote]
No. I don't do balloon modeling. We already have a balloon person at the playground, she was a little surprised to see me. She must be new.
Yes, when there were times when I made $4, making $40 is pretty decent.
I might have made more, but the playground emptied out fairly early and everyone went up to the pow-wow up the hill.
(No, I did not crash the pow-wow.)
Worked a pow wow once as a drummer.
It was great. They paid me with moose meat.
How is moose meat?
Awesome as long as it's cured properly. Long grain compared to steak and lots of flavor. Not tough at all.
This came from northern Maine. The Indians really know how to do it right.
Years ago, I was in a place in Alaska where there was only moose and caribou all winter. Not nearly as good.
Don't care it I ever see another caribou sausage.
Ed:
If I remember from other posts, local laws prohibit you from actively soliciting tips...so you made $40 without hat lines?

Personally I think that's pretty impressive.
Ed:
If I remember from other posts, local laws prohibit you from actively soliciting tips...so you made $40 without hat lines?

Personally I think that's pretty impressive.
I love Ed's line. It makes me chuckle every time I read it on here. But maybe that is because where I am from cow tipping is quite a popular past time. :D
Thanks. There's also the fact that I do a doorway style show (I think that's the term) as opposed to a half circle show. I usually have a crowd of about 12 people at best (usually less on Thayer Street) And I'm not in a place yet where I can get that "crowd of 12 or less" together every 15 minutes or so. (I'm certain one of those DVDs mentioned above would help that, and maybe I can consider one or more of them after October.)

Given my level of expertise and the restrictions I've accepted... I think I do pretty well.
Keep at it Mr Rhodes...perhaps you will become better each time out my personal guarantee or your complete money back!

What is Rhode Island like anyway? No seriously?
Yours in magia,
Rey-Rey (r2) for short
[quote]
On 2011-07-30 23:17, Bobert wrote:
I love Ed's line. It makes me chuckle every time I read it on here. But maybe that is because where I am from cow tipping is quite a popular past time. :D
[/quote]

So how much do cows make? :goof:
LOL. Probably more than me!!! bahahahaha...There is another popular game known as cowpie bingo....I'll let you figure that one out. lol.
*sigh* It's supposed to start raining tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon and rain all night and all day Monday.
I don't care about Monday, I'll be inside at Wal*mart, but I'd really like to have gone out tomorrow.
There was a Waterfire tonight, I would have liked to throw something together, but I'd just worked an eight hour shift on my feet, (The last hour and a half, unloading a truck!) and was too dead tired to do anything but go home.

I know, a [i]real[/i] busker would have sucked it up and worked the crowd.
It's best not to go out when you are just not feeling it. Your groups will notice. You were spot on to trust your instincts and rest up or suffer burnout like so many of us have. You are a real busker if you are actually doing it when you are able guy!
R2
Thank you, D.
Hey Ed -

I'm from just north of Boston, but I went to school down in Providence, and I'm back there every now and then. Keep us posted on when you're planning on going out, and I'd love to run into you on the streets!!

Evan
If it's a nice Sunday, I'm usually at the Roger Williams Park Carosel Village from about noon to 4:00
After that, I head out to Thayer St. by the Pizza Place next door to the cinema.
Looks like it's going to be good this weekend.
The park was a disappointment, good crowds but the playground emptied out very early (possibly because of the gathering clouds and building wind). I didn't go to Thayer St. for the same reasons (I knew it was going to start raining any minute) Actually it waited a few hours but I [i]know[/i] if I'd gone, it would have started right away! (I am God's personal comedy relief!)
[i]AND[/i] I've just heard that Hurricane Irene is going to hit the country this week, they are expecting it to push a large mass of moisture ahead of it which should affect the New England area bringing a great deal of rain on... wait for it... SUNDAY!
Oh wait, it doesn't matter because I'm working this Sunday... NEXT weekend I have off, maybe it'll be better.
Persistence pays off Ed. Persistence. You're doing it already and as you continue, you will carry on succeeding.
I'm in a car with a friend & colleague, from Brisbane to Adelaide after a lackluster week, and then rain.

What may to some not be a $$ lot but any amount is more than you had to begin with.

Thanks for sharing

James James
Thank you Jimmy Jimmy!

That's pretty much my take on it. I don't believe I'm ready to take on Boston or New York, but I make a few bucks (between $10 and $40) I think I would make more if I persevered more and hopefully I'll do some of that next week.

Thanks for your support everybody, even the ones who chastise me for being "satisfied" with $40 hats!
[quote]
On 2011-08-22 12:21, ed rhodes wrote:
[i]AND[/i] I've just heard that Hurricane Irene is going to hit the country this week, they are expecting it to push a large mass of moisture ahead of it which should affect the New England area bringing a great deal of rain on... wait for it... SUNDAY!
[/quote]

Yeah that's too bad; though today was pretty nice. It's one of those weekends where one
hoped they saved for the rainy day or have to try to make it inside...
[quote]
On 2011-07-28 18:18, bluedragon wrote:
Hello Ed.
You sound pleased you made $40, good for you ;) How many hours did you put in to recieve $40? What effects did you perform?
You sound like you're comfortable entertaining children which is great, do you do balloon modelling when you busk?
Best.
Neil.
[/quote]

Neil, I didn't answer all of your question. Noon to about six not counting travel time to Roger Williams Park and then travel time to Thayer Street after things seemed to "cool down" at the playground.

What do I do? My own cut and restored rope routine, card trick, cups and balls and Shanghai Shackle. I might throw in an Egg Bag or 20th Century Silk depending on how the crowd is going.

After surviving Irene, it looks like this Saturday will be good, Sunday is "iffy" with possible rain, but not really certain. I don't work until 1:00 pm Friday, so if I work up the nerve, I might put together a few things that don't need a table and go see what's happening at the Farmer's Market in Kennedy Plaza for about an hour or so (they open at 11:00 and I have to catch a 12:30 bus if I'm to get to work on time.)