(Close Window)
Topic: Female Hypnotists and Mentalists
Hypnosis for the many years it's been around has been dominated by men. So who are the best female hypnotists and mentalists?
One of the best - Pat Collins, the Hip Hypnotist.
Surely Pat Collins must be dead by now? If she is alive she must be about bloody ninety or even 100. I bet she isn't that "hip" any more.
Hip replacement Hypnotist doesn't have the same ring to it either
[quote]
On 2011-07-27 03:24, Zerububle wrote:
Hip replacement Hypnotist doesn't have the same ring to it either
[/quote]
Ouch!

James, are you still working on your pre-talk product?
Pat Collins—The Hip Hypnotist

Here are notes on Miss Pat Collins from Maelene Collins­Grenat whom I believe could actually be Pat Collins daughter:

"Pat Collins did her performance in the early 60's at clubs until she opened her own club on the Sunset strip at the corner of Sunset and Doheny next to Gil Turners Liquor store, where she did her show and also held self­ hypnosis classes.

Then in the early 80 she closed the club and moved to Reno, NV and performed at the MGM and in Tahoe. She only did a brief appearance in Las Vegas about 1981.

She appeared on almost every talk show you can think of from late 60's through the 70's. Pat played her self in “Divorce American Style,” “The Lucy Show,” and in an episode of the “Bill Dana Show.”

She played a caricature called Babs Ivar in an episode of the “Honey West Show.” Pat was also on an episode of TV's famed show "What’s My Line" and the TV show called "No Time for Sergeants."

She became ill and in her 60's and decided to stop performing when she moved back to southern California. Pat Collins passed in 1997."

http://tinyurl.com/4ac3lj
Then again there is "Bonnie !@#$%", Steve Daly's drag queen hypnotist character. About as entertaining as you'd expect. Or perhaps not.
[quote]
On 2011-07-26 20:35, Mark Lewis wrote:
Surely Pat Collins must be dead by now? If she is alive she must be about bloody ninety or even 100. I bet she isn't that "hip" any more.
[/quote]

Hip to the elderly.
I saw Pat Collins in Reno in '84 or '85. Really great act. Funny as hell.
Pat Collins had a class act.I have never seen even a clip of her doing any skit that would be considered exploiting people and their trust. Too many performers do. I think they have a big problem with their egos and play to the worse in their audience. BTW: Bonnie B., aka Steve Daly does a good show, stopping just short of crude. When not in drag he performs weekly in Vegas.
But, what do I know. I've only been doing this for 36 years.
Kellie Karl is a good hypnotist from L.A also you could also consider Wendi Friesen.

Regards
Dr Rob.
I saw Pat at the Celebrity Club. She got out of real potential problem so seamlessly that passed unnoticed. A real pro.
Pat did real hypnotherapy for many local clinics, and never charged anyone.
A decade or so before Pat Collins was Joan Brandon. born 1914 or so.

Went from headlining vaude as a magician and switched to hyp about 1954. Worked fairs, arenas, home shows, etc., for 2 to 3 thousand at a time. See our startup website on her, JoanBrandon.com Had a TV show for a short time, wrote books on hyp, as well as a popular news stand one put out by Faucett.

Dick Brookz & Dorothy Dietrich
Christina Kaya, Canada
I have a Pat Collins story that I would love to tell.
I grew up in Reno. On my parents second date my dad took my mom to the MGM to see Pat Collins. My mom says it was the funniest show she has ever been to. She was touched because Pat was talking about how she volunteered at the hospital doing hypnosis and teaching self hypnosis to the kids with cancer. She helped them with visualizing their super heros battling the bad guys in their bodies.
My mom came from an alcoholic family and her first husband was also an alcoholic. There was a two drink minimum at the show. When they went to leave my dad left a full drink as my mom tried to pound hers down. She looked at him baffled and told my dad he paid for it and he has to drink it. My dad told her "Exactly. I paid for it, and I can leave it if I want to." He taught my mom that day that she didn't have to drink just becausse it was there. It was her first experience with a person that didn't "need" to drink. As they went to leave, my mom noticed that my dad didn't tip the waitress (she was a waitress at Circus Circus at the time). She yelled at him and made him tip her the same amount he spent on drinks. My mom says that that was the day she taught my dad to tip and my dad taught my mom that she didn't have to tip (a drink). I grew up with parents that didn't drink and parents that tip very, very well... And it all started with Pat Collins. :)
Great story!
Thank you :)
Angela Funovits is another good mentalist/hypnotist, she also placed second in the show Phenomenon on NBC.
I was unaware of her performing hypnosis. Her performances weren't that great on that show, but she was good for viewers. Even she in post-show interview consistently talked about her disappointment in her performances.
When did she get into hypnosis Akil?

Isn't she a medical doctor now?
I am not sure exactly when she started but she recently did a performance for Ideacity that used some hypnosis elements. Mind you it wasn't strictly hypnosis but it did incorporate some elements.
[quote]
On 2012-05-22 20:05, Mindpro wrote:
Her performances weren't that great on that show, but she was good for viewers.
[/quote]

I agree, they may not have been the best but at least her performances were entertaining enough, to say the least.
[quote]
On 2012-05-24 08:46, Akil wrote:
I am not sure exactly when she started but she recently did a performance for Ideacity that used some hypnosis elements. Mind you it wasn't strictly hypnosis but it did incorporate some elements.
[/quote]

Hypnosis elements? What is that exactly?

I am not ranting at you Akil per se, but this is just starting to get out of control. It is terrible when sales pitches start to creep into our lexicon.

Either you are a hypnotist or not. The idea that someone uses "elements" is absurd. I know it is the sales pitch that often mentalists use. It has been happening for a long time because of the comparison to the hypnosis show so they say they "encorporate elements" and in reality do nothing more than force a card. They use more "elements" of card cheat demonstrations than hypnosis!

Then you have the people selling tricks who make claims that they encorporate elements, and therefore mentalists use it in their sales pitch. Cool. I don't care how anyone sells their show, or what they tell their audience, but lets not start using the terms ourselves as if there is some sort of validity to them ok?
Well I apologize for the misunderstanding, maybe I was a bit too vague, what I meant was that her performance was not centered around hypnosis but she did hypnotize a member of the audience during the show.
You see this is exactly what I mean in the "Mass Hypnosis" thread downstairs. People will see this fake hypnosis and think it's real. As far as I know she is not a hypnotist and as far as my basic research shows, she has never claimed to be. I'm almost sure Akil is a youngster, that doesn't really have an understanding of what hypnosis is. What he thinks or believes she did in "hypnotizing a member of the audience during the show" was in reality not at all hypnosis, but as I'm referring to in the other thread, a magician pretending to use hypnosis when in reality it's simply just a fake facade for the deception. The problem is Akil and the audience will be led to believe it's the real thing.
I am by no means an expert on hypnosis so I am not surprised to hear you say that Mindpro, if I was wrong for thinking that she did hypnotize someone then I do apologize. I simply did not know that's what she did wasn't hypnosis. I simply stated what I thought is what based off of information I have gleaned for myself. Clearly I need to educate myself further on what hypnosis is and is not. Again, my mistake.
No problem, I was just pointing out in another thread that magicians too often use hypnosis as a cover or theme for a magic trick and yet pass it off as hypnosis when in reality they are doing nothing close to hypnosis and have little knowledge or education on hypnosis. The problem I have is to those who do not know the difference (viewers/audiences), they actually believe that it was in fact hypnosis, and then that becomes their belief of what they think hypnosis is. Please understand I was not picking on your or discrediting you in any way, just pointing out that this is much more of a common occurance than most realize. Unfortunately magicians/mentalists are some of the worst offenders, as they have no concern about the improper light and perspective they are carelessly putting on hypnosis. (they could just as effectively use Influence or other mental possibilities as them theme without doing such discredit to another profession) It is a lack of professional respect.

Just so you understand, you responded just as she wanted you to. Unfortunately that is part of the bigger problem. As another poster Sean stated in the thread downstairs, he thought a hypnotist could essentially make anyone do anything. This all perpetuates the misperceptions and credibility of hypnosis.

If a stage hypnotist went on stage and used magic as a theme for an routine, yet portrayed in in an improper light or perspective, the entire magic community would be screaming foul play, exposure, hang him!
Would you classify the technique being used as NLP or would you say that it is something different entirely?
NLP has nothing to do with magic. again it used to dress effects. I think you asrereally talking about effects that depend upon suggestion to work. They aren't NLP they just use suggestion are highly unreliable and you would be much better using more guaranteed methods to achieve similar results.
NLP s not hypnosis. Two differnt things, but could use together.
I think Akil might be referring to this performance of Angela http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGn42dBiiPw

David Sena
Brenda Kaye is a female hypnotist-mainly works cruises (NCL)