(Close Window)
Topic: FYI: No more aluminum cases
Went to Lowe's today to buy another of those aluminum cases. Was informed that they no longer carry them. So if you think you may want one, I guess maybe you should check your local Lowe's ASAP. I'm gonna check Home Depot tomorrow. I know they carry aluminum cases as well, but I liked the ones from Lowe's better because they come with the "picker's foam." I think they are made by Task Force. Hope this helps.
Keep in mind that this may also have been a local decision and not a nation-wide decision. National chains (in any industry) all carry a majority of the same items in all their stores, but often they will also carry things to cater to the needs of their locale that others will not have. I could be wrong in this case, but I just wanted to put that out there.
[quote]
On 2011-08-02 00:00, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
Keep in mind that this may also have been a local decision and not a nation-wide decision. National chains (in any industry) all carry a majority of the same items in all their stores, but often they will also carry things to cater to the needs of their locale that others will not have. I could be wrong in this case, but I just wanted to put that out there.
[/quote]
Nods. I searched their website, hoping to order online, before I posted. I didn't see it there either.
Thanks for the info! It is a shame because those were great.

On the other hand, I have one of the plastic Task Force tool boxes for storing props in and it is great - plenty of room and places to put little objects if/when needed.

Check Harbor Freight for a possible substitute for the aluminum one though.
Harbor Freight had them in two sizes last time I was in their local store.
Harbor Freight has four different types of Aluminum cases. I use all of them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/17-3-4-quarter-inch-x-12-3-4-quarter-inch-x-5-3-4-quarter-inch-aluminum-case-35777.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-x-12-3-4-quarter-inch-x-6-inch-aluminum-case-39196.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-1-2-half-inch-x-7-1-2-half-inch-x-4-1-2-half-inch-aluminum-case-36870.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/17-1-2-half-inch-x-12-1-2-half-inch-x-7-1-2-half-inch-aluminum-tool-case-36871.html
I worked for Lowe's for about 8 years, so I can tell you, that all the decisions for what a store carries is made in North Carolina. If they quit carrying them in a store, they will be going in all of them, however due to the various distribution center locations, size, etc., some stores may carry them longer as their supply could be larger. Now, it could possibly be a model number change, and in a few weeks a new nearly identical case shows up. They did that to them once before, I got all of mine when the old model number was changed and they went on clearance.

Bradley
I'll vouch for the Harbor Freight cases; they're bombproof, cheap (pricewise) and very very flexible.
I have several cases from Harbor Freight. Give them a try.
I have a case from Lowe's and one from Harbor Freight. The Lowe's case is a little heavier, and is made a little better. (IMO) I hate to see the cases discontinued. I hope Harbor Freight will continue offering them for a long, long time.
[quote]
On 2011-08-01 21:11, WhoDeanie wrote:
Went to Lowe's today to buy another of those aluminum cases. Was informed that they no longer carry them. So if you think you may want one, I guess maybe you should check your local Lowe's ASAP. I'm gonna check Home Depot tomorrow. I know they carry aluminum cases as well, but I liked the ones from Lowe's better because they come with the "picker's foam." I think they are made by Task Force. Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Home Depot still has [url=http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/DoubleBellybuster/magicbox.jpg]$19 Plano toolboxes, here's mine with my whole collection in it[/url].
I really like that last case available at harbor freight. I may have to pick one up soon. I have one from Lowe's and love it. One of the best cases I've ever bought.
I saw a beautiful wooden box at the camera store. used and on sale for $39.
Wonderful interior with wooden compartments and doors.

Wow it sure looked 1,000 times better than the aluminum cases that make us all look like nerds.

I almost bought it.
I coulda bought it.
I shoulda bought it.
[quote]
On 2012-03-13 14:55, Frank Starsini wrote:
I saw a beautiful wooden box at the camera store. used and on sale for $39.
Wonderful interior with wooden compartments and doors.

Wow it sure looked 1,000 times better than the aluminum cases that make us all look like nerds.

I almost bought it.
I coulda bought it.
I shoulda bought it.
[/quote]
Have you gone back for it yet?
No. I might. I try to buy as little as possible these days that's magic related.
But it sure looked great.
Agreed. I have never thought that those aluminum cases make good stage furniture. I have one but it is full of wires in my garage.
I just got back from Harbor Freight tools and picked up a larger aluminum case and 2 smaller ones for my cards.

Ihor
There is a great difference in quality of these aluminum cases. I have one I bought from Ritz Camera about 10 years ago, that I paid $65.00 for. Then I saw a similar case at one of the Big Box hardware stores. It cost about $20.00. The rivets came out of the cheap one in about six months. The sides of the cheap one were made of a lower quality wood, covered with a thinner layer of aluminum.

The case from Ritz Camera is still in top shape, and I use it ALL the time.
I agree with Bill. You get what you pay for ( most of the time )