(Close Window)
Topic: Garrett Thomas Stand Up Monte
Guys we now have the trailer and pre order available on our site for Garretts BRILLIANT routine Stand Up Money. This is one of Garretts workers and its fantastic. Its all there, shot well and well produced. ITS REALLY GOOD

Pre-sale is at

http://www.kozmomagic.com

Koz
I really liked this, hope to read some more reviews soon.
Wizard producst reviews.

by the way I was there when Jeff McBride approched Garrett and told him it was the best Monte routine EVER. This is a real world killer effect

I stake my reputation on this product
I have seen Garrett perform this tons and tons of times. It's excellent!
Kozmo, you don't have to stake you reputation. If in the position to do so I'd order anything and everything you put out. Garrett Thomas was excellent on your restaurant DVD and I would have no doubt that he is on this as well. If it says Kozmo Magic that is good enough for me.
Are you left clean at the end?
Yes... theres no need to hand cards out.... they are cards? Plus in the routine you show the fronts and back over and over...
Ordered, look forward to it!
Kozmo, I ordered but that answere to equivoque sounds like a dodge. I would say not to answer the question or answer directly can the cards in play (in the hands) at the end of the routine be handed for examination?
Garret is easily one of the best magicians I have ever seen before in my life so I am positive this will be just as great as the many other great creations from GT.
How does this differ from Martin Lewis' Queenie from his book Martin's Miracles?
[quote]
On 2011-08-05 18:50, Woodfield wrote:
How does this differ from Martin Lewis' Queenie from his book Martin's Miracles?
[/quote]
Reminds me of Rene Lavand's version in some ways.
This is now in stock and will be hitting the magic stores at the end of the month

This is KILLER! its classic that you will do forever. Really GOOD!
Sorry in stock only site even though it says presage it's in stock
Will it be shipping soon? (The pre - orders) :D
Lol, let me try that again.

Its now available via my site http://www.kozmomagic.com and all pre-orders are shipped! Its no longer a pre-sale. Magic stores should get this end of the month.
[quote]
On 2011-08-12 08:54, Kozmo wrote:

Its now available via my site http://www.kozmomagic.com and all pre-orders are shipped! Its no longer a pre-sale. Magic stores should get this end of the month.
[/quote]

Sorry mate :)

Cool! :)

Kyle
This is a wonderful effect...I have used this in every walk around/table hopping venue with a slight modification in handling that replaces the need to put cards in a pocket. It has fried even knowledgable magicians let alone(and more importantly)countless spectators.
I ordered this last Saturday and paid via Pay Pal. Can anyone give me a clue about when I should expect to receive this? Emails to Kozmo have remained unanswered. Did anyone else who ordered from him receive any kind of confirmation of their order?
Wow!
This is a terrific trick. I was unaware that it had previously been released in print but I certainly appreciate the video. It is a real worker. It is modular, does not need a table and uses easy to replace gaffs. If you have seen the video you know it is combination wild card/monte effect. I cannot claim to have seen every monte trick and every wild card presentation but I have seen quite a few. I do not know that I have seen anything as magical as this except for Tommy Wonder’s wild card which is of course exquisite. I think this will appear to a wide range of performer. Highly recommended.
Agreed, this is excellent. Although not hard, I have been practicing this relentlessly for a week or so now. I have a gig sunday week at which I hope to try this.
This has passed the wife test - Garrett is right to compare certain phases with the sponge balls (in the spec's hands reactions). The video is very useful for showing the pacing of the handling.
Charlie
Does the dvd cover stuff not in the print version?
This is an outstanding effect. Garrett's teaching on the DVD is very clear and easy to follow. Very Highly recommended. One of the best purchases in a very long time.
Where is this in print? And why is it $30 on Koz's site, but $15 everywhere else I see it?
The new version is on dvd with a new ending. The old version was [maybe still is] at Penguin and MJM.
Maybe it is just me but I found the written instructions to be VERY confusing.
A perfect example a where video can be useful. I think this would be a difficult routine to teach in print
The teaching is outstanding; very clear and concise. It is a great step by step instruction to the routine. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, best purchase in a long time!
The written instructions were VERY confusing to me also. Cant wait to get the DVD.
This is SO great!
Great teaching and a brilliant trick.

Got it down to a decent level already, just gotta keep practising!

Pros -

Commercial trick
Reset is easy
So visual
Great teaching
Long DVD

Cons -
Only one trick
Quite expensive

9/10
Best purchase for a while!

Kyle
I agree with those who found the earlier release through Danny Archer difficult to follow re. the written instructions. Those ordering the latest release are fortunate to have GT take you through the routine on DVD.
Frankly, I am a bit bummed it has bee released again to such fanfare. I have had it for a number of years and quite surprised how few in the magic community had heard or seen it before. However,those of you who purchase and perfrom it will have made one of the best mAGIC PURCHASE IN YEARS.
Everyday of the year 3 new items are released to the magic community. Most are pieces that you will never do, not real world. This effect you will do.
It's that simple. With all those releases how can you pickngood from bad. This is good. It's a worker.
THIS IS SO GOOD!
I have tested it on some laymen and they went NUTS!

Kyle
[quote]
On 2011-08-12 08:54, Kozmo wrote:

[/quote]

Is shipping included?
Shippings included
No relationship to Kozmo or Garrett but I have to post again. So many mediocre tricks seem to generate pages of posts. I lot of people say this but the selfish part of me really hopes this does not became widely exposed. Still Garrett and Kozmo deserve the success here. Garrett has a very cerebral approach to magic and some of his slight of hand accomplishments are beyond the reach of the average worker but not this. Again what makes it so strong for a real worker.
1. Packet trick requires little pocket space
2. Modular. As Garrett does, you can play around with 1 or 2 cards at the beginning until you have the attention of enough of your crowd. Then there is a powerful piece of magic with the first transposition. You could stop there if the food comes (or whatever) and you would still have delivered. If you have the time and the attention you can continue to a strong climax.
3. Easy to replace gaffs. Card gaffs get dirty, bent, etc. I don't care how careful you are. I believe a standard Wild Card set has enough gaffs to make at least 2, possibly 3 sets of Monte cards (plus cards from a regular deck).
The only "problem" is that a trick like this successfully incorporates several themes and may replace one or more tricks that were already in your repertoire. I love it.
I have always been a fan of Monte effects. Some of my past favorites have been Monte 3.0 & Temptation by Gordon Bean, and several different variations on Skinner's Ultimate 3-Card Monte. I received Garrett's Stand-up Monte last week and I am in love. Garrett's routine is now my go to Monte effect!

~ Nathan
It blows that I bought it a couple of months ago and there was no DVD at that time then he comes out with a DVD and if I want that I have to purchase it all over again.

Can anyone review the DVD
Can anyone advise on the skill level or sleight-ability needed to perform this?
It's more memorization work of what goes where. At first it's a bit confusing to learn because I was always wondering about the condition of what is where.

It's pretty darn simple though, I'd say if I would rate it a 1-10 and 10 being the hardest skill-wise I would give this a 3.
I would say the skill level is for a knowledgable beginner, at least for one move. Other than that, the demo video didn't show the actual routine, but mainly the reactions of spectators. This left me wondering, so I Googled it and found full demos of it elsewhere, and it confirmed what I had thought it was. The moves and gimmick were so obvious to me in the demos, even though one handling was at a good rapid pace. Maybe to the layman, it would play different - after all, magicians are always looking for that something other.
[quote]
On 2011-09-09 14:25, dannydaniels wrote:
magicians are always looking for that something other.
[/quote]
That's about right.

The move is supposed to cause suspicion in the routine because of how it's presented.
I agree with Blindside785's assessment of skill level required. The moves are very straightforward and well taught if you are not familiar with them already. The challenge is to become fluent with the sequence of the routine, which just takes a some thought and practice. In my opinion, this is a high impact, very visual effect that requires minimum pocket spaces and is immediately reset. Garrett and Kozmo have done a great job with this effect, strongly recommended!
The physical skill required on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 1. However, there is timing invovled. Not misdirection, but a pace that allows the trick to look magical. That is why the DVD is valuable and and this might be hard to appreciate for some in written instructions. This is a great piece of magic. It is possible a full demo was not posted because repeated viewings might allow a magician to reverse engineer the trick. In this case I think that is fair as no questionable claims about the trick are made in the as copy (the audience "sees" this but what actually happens is vastly different). It is a trick you will have to purchase on the strength of the creator and the posts of people whose opinion you trust. I really only post about tricks I like but that is becuase I think 90% or more of what is offered and hawked on these boards it terrible and unfortunatly many of the positive posts come from friends or other creators supporting each other's work. This is an extremely entertaining practical piece of magic for lay people.
This is printed in Mandolin Backs, correct?
It is in Mandolin backs but it is easy to switch to using any brand you want.
Hmmm. I'll try this out, since everyone is raving about how great it is. But after watching the DVD, I have a hard time believing that people won't catch on to what's going on. It's so discrepant that it's hard to believe this really flies. But I'll work it up and try it nonetheless, out of faith in Mr. Thomas.
I never do this an if asked to take it down I will but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ964vnlql0
The pace of the trick and the mixing of Monte with Wild Card is what makes it work.
Garrett Thomas is one of the best magicians in the old and this effect will go down as a classic, it's that good. Everywhere Garrett does this it just kills...buy itnor don't buy it, it's up to you but this just KILLS!
I remember when this first came out. I loved it then and like it even more now. As everyone has said, the old written instructions were a bit confusing but the DVD included in the updated version is miles ahead and makes learning this GREAT routine very simple. I appreciate advanced sleight of hand but the simplicity and direct nature of this effect is what draws me to it. And it has some incredibly visual sequences and a lot of entertainment value for the audience. To me it combines the completely fair look of Mike Skinner's version (with even more openness as the gaffs are different) and the punch ending of Color Monte. Exceptional magic that you will use. Highly recommended.

Jonathan Brown
I love this trick! It is tons of fun without making the spectator the "victim". GT discusses the discrepant things on the DVD and explains why they work. I like his style of teaching and he seems like the kind of guy I'd have a beer with.
[quote]
On 2011-09-18 20:18, Xcath1 wrote:
I never do this an if asked to take it down I will but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ964vnlql0
[/quote]

Nice work Xcath1!
Thanks puggo
Good job Xcath1!

This is a definite worker and fun to do.
Good job Xcath!
I will be uploading a performance soon :)

Kyle
Thanks Kyle and Jazzy, look forward to seeing others
Great job, I enjoyed the spectator's responses. I have also been performing this recently and found that pacing is critical with this routine. Thanks for posting your video, it was great.
I don't post a lot but Stand Up Monte is now one of my favorite tricks to perform. Its gotten great reactions and the magic happens so quickly in the spectators hands. I Highly recommended this trick
My order is in direct with Kozmo! Ordered 10 days ago so lets hope international post gets here soon!!

For anyone who thinks there is a discrepancy let me tell you this:

When I first saw the routine performed for the Wizard product review in Blackpool I was blown away! I thought it looked impossible. Garrett's timing was perfect and he kept everything moving along at just the right pace. I was fooled! From seeing demos and adverts for this routine cropping up I then realized what the discrepancy is and I slapped myself. I can't wait for this to arrive, I know what I am getting but I am looking forward to learning the whole routine. Presented right this is a brilliant effect and the moves are simple and well motivated.

Come on Mr Post-man!!
I'm waiting on this to show up in my mailbox. Garrett has delivered some great effects in the past.
Let me know if you have any issues with your order

kHz
Kozmo,

Just received my order for the extra cards, thanks for the fast shipping.
No worries.....
A great lecture from Garret at the L.A.D.s convention in Birmingham (UK) yesterday. He went through the routine & moves in some detail. I purchased it along with a lot of other people! Looks very good. Basically 2 simple moves. The hard bit however, is to build and sequence the 2 moves into a full routine. Superb as an opener in my opinion as it can involve as few or as many people you wish.
Did anyone else order this from world magic shop and get a free copy of the Lady Traveller. Mine did not include the gimmick needed, is this why they gave them away, id rather they just put them in the bin than send me their rubbish
[quote]
On 2011-10-08 05:45, Up_in_smoke wrote:
Did anyone else order this from world magic shop and get a free copy of the Lady Traveller. Mine did not include the gimmick needed, is this why they gave them away, id rather they just put them in the bin than send me their rubbish
[/quote]

My free copy of the Lady Travels came with the gimmicked cards in a small envelope inside the DVD cover. It must have been an error.
Mine also came with gimmicks!
:)
many thanks btw!

[quote]
On 2011-10-09 06:42, Jesus Marimba wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-10-08 05:45, Up_in_smoke wrote:
[/quote]

My free copy of the Lady Travels came with the gimmicked cards in a small envelope inside the DVD cover. It must have been an error.
[/quote]
Can anyone tell me a way to keep the monte cards slick and clean? I am finding that color seems to come off on to other cards and it makes it more difficult to work with them. Thank you.
Judge, let me know what I can do to help you

kHz
I'm a mentalist and rarely I see s close up effect that I feel an urge to write something about. This monte is the best version out there right now. for 30 years it was Skinner's and now it's Thomas's. This guy really understands magic, and I can't wait for him to turn to mentalism.. ;)

Nimrod , Israel
Buy this buy this but this!!!
I m not into card tricks really (i don't like carrying a deck around with me) but this is awesome!!
Technically its not difficult to do, but the memorising the routine and order takes some time. But I have done it for friends and they go wild. I m sure Magicians will suspect/know whats going on but laymen really don't!!!!
Man, maybe it's just me, but I am not a really big fan of Stand Up Monte. The same discrepant move over and over and over and over again only to be broken up by another discrepant move. Yeah, I'm a magician, but to have that same exact move repeated over and over again is just asking for trouble. To me anyways, I think there are better 3CM routines. I like the original Color Monte and Sheets take on the Killer Kitson Miracle.

IMHO, your mileage will certainly vary...
[quote]
On 2011-11-01 19:19, Kaliix wrote:
Man, maybe it's just me, but I am not a really big fan of Stand Up Monte. The same discrepant move over and over and over and over again only to be broken up by another discrepant move. Yeah, I'm a magician, but to have that same exact move repeated over and over again is just asking for trouble. To me anyways, I think there are better 3CM routines. I like the original Color Monte and Sheets take on the Killer Kitson Miracle.

IMHO, your mileage will certainly vary...
[/quote]

Interesting - cool to have another view.
I have this and IMO it flies by spectators.
A brilliant routine IMO :)

Kyle
Will try this soon in my bar magic gigs.
I really like this, but $30 seems kind of pricey for a monte...I'm guessing you are really paying for the 90 minute DVD, am I right?
It's we well done DVD. Definitely a different style of Monte than Skinners. By design it's performed much quicker whereas Skinners (as done by Bill Malone, Michael Ammar and others) is intentionally done really slowly. Skinner's effect doesn't involve going into your pocket either. But Garret's version is a bit more in their hands and appears to have more audience interaction.
BTW - If anyone hasn't seen Bill Malone's performance of this, it's very humorous and worth watching!
[quote]
On 2011-11-03 14:49, dooblehorn wrote:
I really like this, but $30 seems kind of pricey for a monte...I'm guessing you are really paying for the 90 minute DVD, am I right?
[/quote]

It was definitely easier for me to learn this from the DVD. You can get the printed version and probably figure it out. This does not have the six card finale however which I think is really powerful.

Throw the cards fast like they do on the street and it will make your audience go crazy.
[quote]
On 2011-11-03 14:55, MagicallyMe wrote:
BTW - If anyone hasn't seen Bill Malone's performance of this, it's very humorous and worth watching!
[/quote]

Where can I find this? :)
Ha I was just watching Malones Skinner version, it's here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qju5s9IEKow
[quote]
On 2011-11-03 15:14, KyleMacNeill wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-11-03 14:55, MagicallyMe wrote:
[/quote]

Where can I find this? :)
[/quote]

In Bill Malone dvd On the Loose vol.1. The cards are easily avaliable at most magic dealers.
Agreed, I started doing the Skinner version after I saw Bill Malone do it (probably true of a lot of tricks). On the one hand you are only going to do 1"monte" trick in a set, on the other hand I think Stand up Monte is different enough that if you are seeing repeats (professional or amateur) you could do both of these tricks on separate occasions and both would be appreciated. It can be done in the hands and is really as much of quick "wild card" which I always thought too long in its 8 card version as it is a monte. You're a showing people 3 of a kind when you supposedly only started with 1. Obviously no trick is for everyone but this trick suits my style and has been successful for me.
Exactly right.This is really a quick wild card in which Garrett has weaved a monte story around.
Garrett mentions the excellent story Tommy Wonder wrote for his wild card.
Give the cards changing a completely different reason then the one Garrett uses if you like!
Briliant routine. I try this yesterday and got amazing reactions. It's in my A list now.

:)
I just got this yesterday, along with Ontology Project and iContact...I vote Stand Up Monte, and perhaps those other two, my best purchases of 2011, bar none.
I like this monte better than Skinners (I know, heresy!!!!!) In fact, I'm having trouble putting into words just how much I like this monte, it rocks!!! And , yes, I know it's really kind of a combo wild card and monte...
The dvd is definitely the extra cost, and worth it, in my opinion. I really do like Thomas' teaching style, it's a very good DVD.
I have this, I've road tested it, for me it's not a patch on colour monte from a practical performers point of view. I don't understand the hype.
This has been released before in the early 1990's by Keith Bennett of the U.K. He called it 'KickBack Monte'.

Does the DVD credit Keith?
Regarding the optional final phase where the 3 queens change places with the 3 fours

On the dvd, Garrett uses 2 h@lf p@ss@s

I find a simple push thru fist move (what is that called?) works fine and is a lot easier.

BTW used this in a walk around gig today and it killed
[quote]
On 2011-12-30 13:45, Zombie Magic wrote:
This has been released before in the early 1990's by Keith Bennett of the U.K. He called it 'KickBack Monte'.

Does the DVD credit Keith?
[/quote]

A review of Keith's original routine can be found in the October 1992 issue of Magic Menu.

OMG, it's virtually identical!!!

Keith must be fuming right now that the trick of 2011 hasn't credited him in any way.
...interestingly the reviewer in the Magic Menu did NOT recommend the trick for walk-around performance for various reasons and then went on to launch a personal attack on Keith and told him his interpersonal skills needed some improvement! Unsurprisingly the trick did not then become a major success for Keith (as it has for GT).

Maybe, therefore, the thing that makes for a successfully marketed trick is the name behind it and some colleagues or peers who are willing to endorse it.

Food for thought.
Interesting bit of news about the existence of Mr. Bennett's monte routine. You say it is virtually identical. I wonder what part is different? I'm also a bit surprised at this revelation. If true, it means someone did not do their homework. I will be curious to see how this plays out.

I have heard magicians say that it shouldn't matter if you like the trick, only if your audience likes it (see sponge balls). I going to put this to the test as I'm not a fan of this routine but I asked for and received it for Christmas. I'm going to work it up, test it out and see if my audiences like it. If they like it, that should be all that matters.
Kaliix,

I understand what you're saying about the discrepant move, but I really believe you are thinking like a magician. I am not concerned about discrepancies unless they are noticed by my spectators. In fact, one of my favorite packet tricks is Jim Swain's "Capitulating Queens," which also involves a repeated discrepancy that always flies by the spectators.

We as magicians pick up on far more discrepancies than laypeople because we know how things are supposed to look (such as card counts) and we are aware of gaffs they are not. What may be glaringly apparent to you will often be completely invisible to your spectators. This is especially true if the effect is well-routined to direct attention away from the discrepancies (something to which magicians are generally immune). This effect is so routined and in my experience, no one has ever picked up on the discrepancies. Put the work into perfecting Stand Up Monte and I will bet no one ever mentions a discrepancy.

John
I strongly recommend this trick, awesome
It's very strong, audience love it, who cares what magicians think!?
This certainly seems interesting, but it has a steep price for a monte effect. It looks great, though. I was wondering how this compares with a color monte effect. I currently do a color monte with 3 playing cards that has served well for many many years. I am skeptical to throw $30 at another monte effect.
Seriously, I agree $30 seems to much, but in fact it is well worth it. I do not think you will be disappointed.
You're buying a well thought out and road-tested routine. Color Monte is a great trick, but this one has a different feel and, more importantly for me, has a lot of spectator involvement. Unlike Color Monte, the magic happens in their hands. That's why I think it is superior in most walk around situations. I rank this in my top 10 walk around tricks of all time, and it is one I will do the rest of my life. So $30 is a bargain for me. But only you know your needs. If you feel your current repertoire fits you perfectly or that this effect wouldn't be right for you, then you should pass on it.
LumberJohn, Thank you for that. I had not quite considered how HUGE it was that it happens in the specs hand. I suppose I trap myself by thinking like a magician, dang it. I think I am going to give it a whirl this month. I am thinking that it will be very useful to have in a close up set.
I agree with Lumberjohn and others an absolute worker.
This is an excellent use of thirty bucks. The routine won't let you down.
[quote]
On 2012-01-08 01:26, Andrew Zuber wrote:
This is an excellent use of thirty bucks. The routine won't let you down.
[/quote]
Or buy the original by Keith Bennett for a third of the price.
Or just watch the demo video and save yourself $30. Is this for real? Come on folks, the method and moves are obvious to anyone who has spent even a small amount of time around cards. Not that it isn't a nice effect. But for $30 I would expect to see 50 more tricks wrapped inside a nice book.
BillMcCloskey, many people aren't familiar with the work of Dr. Krenzel, Treveor Lewis and Harry Lorayne. This would be eye popping magic ( it is ) to them. Most magic released is bought by people new to magic ( or that are easily fooled as myself ).

Clarke
[quote]
On 2012-01-11 18:18, BillMcCloskey wrote:
Or just watch the demo video and save yourself $30. Is this for real? Come on folks, the method and moves are obvious to anyone who has spent even a small amount of time around cards. Not that it isn't a nice effect.
[/quote]
Indeed...
[quote]
On 2012-01-11 18:18, BillMcCloskey wrote:
Or just watch the demo video and save yourself $30. Is this for real? Come on folks, the method and moves are obvious to anyone who has spent even a small amount of time around cards.
[/quote]

Yes, just watch performance videos for all the effects you like, crib the presentations, and then reverse engineer the methods without paying the creators. Good thinking.
My thoughts exactly, LumberJohn. But the other mistake is that just because you watch a video and "think" you know all of the presentation and moves, a lot of times people who just copy demos miss out on important psychologic tips and subtleties which are explained in a product. Not to mention outs and alternate handlings.
Lumber, there was nothing in the presentation that I particularly liked. If I was to add this effect I certainly wouldn't do it as presented. The method is as old as the hills. so for me ancient method + bad presentation = zero worth.

BTW, if you can find the "creator" I'd be happy to pay them, although I think he's been dead for about 100 years. What this says more to me is the sad state of magic where people no longer are familiar with the literature because they don't read books.
Cameron has it spot on. I am working my way through it this month. Maybe next month tweak the performance, but I think it is NOT about what is new, but it is $30 to sit down with GT and learn a very polished and road tested routine.

Tony
My biggest problem with the effect is that there is no justification for putting the card back in your pocket. (or removing them from your pocket either). It just screams gaff and switch. The whole purpose of a 3 card monte routine is that all the cards remain in plain sight at all times. If you were really doing this, the card wouldn't go back in the pocket, it would be thrown on the table. It is a fatal flaw in my opinion.

Personally if I'm going to spend $30 on a monte routine I'd buy Daryl Does the Full Monte. A lot more value for the money and you are actually doing a real 3 card monte routine. It may take more practice, but it is a lot more satisfying.
By the way, for those interested, the basic effect (and method) was published by Gregory Wilson in his 2-Card Monte, Plus routine which can be found Harry Lorayne's Best of Friends Vol III page 502.
[quote]
On 2012-01-14 10:12, BillMcCloskey wrote:
By the way, for those interested, the basic effect (and method) was published by Gregory Wilson in his 2-Card Monte, Plus routine which can be found Harry Lorayne's Best of Friends Vol III page 502.
[/quote]
I think you'll find Keith Bennett's routine pre-dates this. If you're going to start referencing sources please be more thorough with your research.
I wonder why producers and artists don't like to show the entire routines in trailers? Na I don't really wonder. If you see it and then go out and use it, it's stealing someone's work, period! It's no different than seeing it live and then going out and doing it. So the question is, are you one of those guys? AMEN right?
I have to disagree, This trick has always gone down well when I've performed it. If you pace it right then nobody even thinks about the cards going in the pocket. Also cards going into the pocket are motivated throughout the routine
Here's where you can buy Keith's (near identical) original routine. It's 1/2 the price of SUM.

http://www.zauberzentrale.de/shop/Sparte+Kartenzauberei/Kickback+Monte+v.+Keith+Bennet.html
Well...to each his own. This routine has been getting great reactions in my strolling gigs. Seriously underestimated the crowd reactions this would get. I love carrying this on me everyday...so much so, that I just received two more card sets from Garrett. Now I have a set in my close-up case, work briefcase and a set to carry in my jacket pocket everyday.

And to say there is no justification for a card going back to your pocket, one has to assume you didn't watch the full performance. But hey...it is what it is.
The main problem I have with Stand Up Monte is that every morning when I get dressed, I want to find a shirt with a pocket. That way I can carry this with me!

I am NOT much of a card guy, and will never be. To me this routine has brought such great reactions that I don't want to leave home without it.

I think that for a guy like me the visual teaching is a must. Kozmo did a great job of producing this DVD.

Cheers!
Sammy
[quote]
[/quote]

I haven't seen Garrett Thomas's but I understand it can be done in the hands, which is very useful. Queenie needs a table.
-Martin Lewis
This is really a great routine.

my four best tricks right now in no particular order are:

stand up monte
invisible deck
chop cup
quantum bender

that's my A list material. I've got a lot of tricks, and most don't make the cut... but this is one of my go to effects.

I pretty much use garrett's routine... but I've made a few small changes. for example, when the last card changes at the end, I use a double lift. just so that it's not the same move over and over again.

but I've had mostly great reactions from this trick. the only time I get bad reactions is from the type of person who really doesn't enjoy magic and just tries to figure out your tricks. so when I ask where the money card is, they just guess the opposite of what they should be guessing... but that's pretty rare.

there have been two times now where the spectator has sworn that the card literally changed in their hand. they'll say "i even snuck a peak underneath the card before you put it in my hand, and it was the card, and then it changed in my hand".
[quote]
On 2012-09-13 20:20, Magikraft wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I haven't seen Garrett Thomas's but I understand it can be done in the hands, which is very useful. Queenie needs a table.
-Martin Lewis
[/quote]

Yes it can most certainly be done in the hands. It really is a great routine which kills! You just have to be careful of 'grabby' spectators
with this one. It is visually very powerful. I highly recommend it for walk around.
This is an awesome walk around trick - I now do it all the time - I used to use Killer kitson miracle but have replaced it with this, I'll still use KKM occasionally becasue I love the routine - but Stand up monte is now not just a go to monte/wildcard effect for me but a go to routine. I use it every where. I have the orignal version with the wrtieen instructions - took some time to work it out from those but worth the effort.

I need to get some new cards for this - but might just buy the dvd as well as I'd like to see whats on it and any extra touchs that I might be able to pick up on. Well done Kozmo fro bring this out.

As to anyone worrying about the dicrepencies I can tell you first hand not a problem - even if they do suspect anything - they are blown away by the end and the strcuture of the routine deals with it in my opinion. If you perform for real people regulalry - its a great effect.
I agree, excellent effect, one of most successful walk arounds
In response to the "inconsistancy" of turning two face up cards face down and one is still face up. I have done this routine many times and have never been challanged on this. Often times you can add a little distraction at the same time by turning the third card over and back in the other hand.

In response to disliking "putting a card in and out of your pocket" - if done in your pants pocket then I agree, but when done from your breast shirt pocket it is more natural and note that Garrett gives you good covering patter such as "there are 3 cards and you only have two eyes so let's remove one card just to make it fair" and "I cheat by using a fourth card". The proof of the pudding is in the eating and this routine "eats" very well.

I bought the S.M. routine several years ago and the original instructions were a little fuzzy to me at one point about the left hand card and placement, but I was able to figure out what was needed. The technical skill level needed is lower than Color Monte. The difficult part is just remembering what to do next, but after a while it just flows kinda like rub-a-dub-dub.

Next to sponge ball routines I like Garrett's Standup Monte routine the best of any closeup routine I do. I believe this is definitely superior to color monte (even though C.M. is very good) because the cards are handled much more openly and no DL's are involved in S.M. The fact that a card changes in the spectator's hand is impressive. There are many times when the spectator believes very strongly that a card is one thing and it is immediately shown to be otherwise.

I like Standup Monte better than "Wild Card" because at the end of W.C. the spectators often believe that there is some kind of "TV Magic Cards" involved to change that many cards whereas with Standup Monte the thought in the back of their mind is that you the magician are really good. Don't get me wrong, W.C. is a great effect, but S.M. makes YOU the star. Another neat thing about the S.M. routine is that at the end you are automatically reset.

I have done S.M. for a waiter who got so excited he ran and got other waiters to come and see it and then they got the manager who came and saw me do the routine and he gave me a free meal. It is a very, very powerful routine in the eyes of the spectator. For high school age and up you will be hard pressed to find a better short closeup card routine. It is a reputation enhancer. For young males who play poker they envision you as a super card shark. This routine will (in my opinion) put you on the same level (in the eyes of laymen) as the best card magicians in the world.

Note that you are getting many strong effects during your presentation and not just a big kicker effect at the end. I think that $30 is cheap for perhaps the best packet routine ever. The price is insignificant.
Chakkan and I are happy and proud to present you the 4th footage of the French equivalent of WMS reviews ! On the menu of this "item special" : - Stand Up Monte - Garret Thomas - Triple Coincidence - Card Shark - The No Way Bottle Production - Iñaki Zabaletta VERNET - Phantom Knife - Richard Osterlind Have fun ! C&C http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xONxRXrratU
This routine absolutely kills. I have just started doing it and the reactions are great!
I had the privilege of learning this from the master himself (or some of the subtleties anyways — I do have the DVD). The DVD is incredibly thorough, although there are one or two subtleties Garrett uses but doesn't entirely touch upon that I've found extremely important in disguising the discrepancies. They have to do with the angle of the card after the WC move.

All in all, this effect is so incredibly brilliant! It is a go to effect for me, after Invisible Deck and my rubber band set (which contains a lot of things that I do sort of interchangeably as a fluid routine). And I also really don't understand why people have problem with the pocketing. It is extremely well explained by the patter. IMO, everything in SM is better explained than most effects out there!

Pros:
-Great in many stages
-Resets instantly for walkaround
-Well taught, well shot
-Almost entirely in the hands
-feels COMPLETELY impossible!

Cons:
-You have to have really top-notch audience management. A grabby spectator can throw off the routine
-Takes some time to memorize the order, since at each stage the cards look the same in your hands
***Teaching tip from Garrett was to never practice an individual stage out of context when learning the routine

Overall, I'd say 9.5/10! Fantastic routine!!!!

P.S. I know I'm a newer member here, and so feel free to disregard this if you like. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents for those that were looking for reviews :D

-Sam Korn
Love the demo for this, procrastinated too long. Expecting delivery tomorrow. Thanks for encouraging post Sam.
Any thoughts out there on the NEW 2019 WORKSHOP that now comes with Stand Up Monte? Has anything changed?
[quote]On Feb 2, 2020, magic.99 wrote:
Any thoughts out there on the NEW 2019 WORKSHOP that now comes with Stand Up Monte? Has anything changed? [/quote]

I assume this is what you're talking about?

http://www.kozmomagic.com/product/stand-up-monte-expansion-pack/
I have been doing many versions of 3 card monte for my entire magical career. I bought this when it was new (the version with written instructions) never got it so I gave it to a friend. I bought it again with the DVD and still just couldn't get it for some reason. I would have to believe that it seems over explained rather than missing anything. I also bought the "Expansion Pack" to see if it would help. Unfortunately, It did not (and I do realize it stated before buying you should have the first down). What I am saying here is that it is totally a "ME Problem". Something is stopping me subconsciously from learning this - and it really should not be hard. In fact, It should be rather easy which is what hurts my brain a little to think about it.

Does anyone else have a problem like this with this effect (or any other effect that just stumps you no matter how hard you go at it)?
I have both the Standard and Expansion DVD's, and also have the "ME Problem". About once a year, I study and practice this for about a week, get the beats of provided routine down and then never get around to performing it (in fact, I was just thinking of starting to practice this again soon). I think my problem is I'm so focused on getting the provided routine down, that if I miss a step I get thrown off for the remainder of the routine. Big reason I bought the expansion pack is for Garrett's pointers for a simpler set-up and what to do if you get lost.

As for the "new 2019 workshop", I wonder if this is the additional video Penguin Magic recently added? I briefly watched it the other day, and it has pointers like breaking the 1,2,3 beat of the routine, and how to casually show the backs of the cards vs overselling the backs.
[quote]On Feb 3, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I have been doing many versions of 3 card monte for my entire magical career. I bought this when it was new (the version with written instructions) never got it so I gave it to a friend. I bought it again with the DVD and still just couldn't get it for some reason. I would have to believe that it seems over explained rather than missing anything. I also bought the "Expansion Pack" to see if it would help. Unfortunately, It did not (and I do realize it stated before buying you should have the first down). What I am saying here is that it is totally a "ME Problem". Something is stopping me subconsciously from learning this - and it really should not be hard. In fact, It should be rather easy which is what hurts my brain a little to think about it.

Does anyone else have a problem like this with this effect (or any other effect that just stumps you no matter how hard you go at it)? [/quote]

You're not alone big chief, I've been down a similar journey, and have both the written version and DVD version sitting in my drawer of shame. Like you say, this shouldn't be difficult - and I've learned far more complicated routines, however I have some sort of mental blockage with this too. I was just thinking the other day that I should give it another go (probably my 5th or 6th attempt at learning). Maybe I will do after the Blackpool convention when I'm all enthused and excited to learn new things.
Not in any way happy that others are having similar problems, but I am happy I am not alone here. If Garrett should read this, plsase do not take it as a problem you created or that I feel you have total fault. I am only guessing that the conceived "over explaining" led to the "me problem" when trying to get it down. I really like the routine and wish I could pull it off.
[quote]On Feb 2, 2020, ekins wrote:
Any thoughts out there on the NEW 2019 WORKSHOP that now comes with Stand Up Monte? Has anything changed? [/quote]

http://www.kozmomagic.com/product/stand-up-monte-expansion-pack/ [/quote]
no, they mean this https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2547 The Expansion pack does not teach the Stand Up Monte routine, It just gives further ideas with the gaffs.

Back to the orignal 2020 question, does anyone know how much more there is in the newer video? Maybe a workshop was filmed at a MAXX event?
[quote]On Feb 18, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
[quote]On Feb 2, 2020, ekins wrote:

http://www.kozmomagic.com/product/stand-up-monte-expansion-pack/ [/quote]
no, they mean this https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2547 The Expansion pack does not teach the Stand Up Monte routine, It just gives further ideas with the gaffs.

Back to the orignal 2020 question, does anyone know how much more there is in the newer video? Maybe a workshop was filmed at a MAXX event? [/quote]

I posted this earlier. I think the "New workshop video" is the additional video Penguin Magic recently added to the original product in your "My Penguin" section(if you purchased the DVD via Penguin)? I briefly watched it the other day, and it has pointers like breaking the 1,2,3 beat of the routine, and how to casually show the backs of the cards vs overselling the backs.
Unfortunately, (rather fortunately), Mine was given to me by a friend so it is not in my Penguin Library. I had the old written version for years and never "got it" so he gave me his DVD and cards because he never quite got it either. I did purchase the expansion set from penguin though.

The bad part is, I really love this routine, the idea, the gaffs... My brain just freezes for some reason when I try to work it out.
[quote]On Feb 18, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
The bad part is, I really love this routine, the idea, the gaffs... My brain just freezes for some reason when I try to work it out. [/quote]

Same here. When I practice this, I work off of a bullet list I fine tune over time instead of the DVD's. It helps but I just don't practice it enough to be comfortable to actually perform it.
How long is the 2019 workshop edition part? (20 mins, an hour, 3 mins?...) also, is it in-depth enough to justify re-buying it from Penguin?
8 minutes. Personally, not enough to warrant a re-purchase if you already have the standard and expansion DVDs.
I agree, thanks.
Coronavirus closed down restaurants, bars, movie theaters, social life, and company mandated working from home, looks like it's time to relearn Stand Up Monte (again).
[quote]On Mar 16, 2020, trickyat86 wrote:
Coronavirus closed down restaurants, bars, movie theaters, social life, and company mandated working from home, looks like it's time to relearn Stand Up Monte (again). [/quote]

Funny you say that... I just started to relearn it again on Sunday (Garret Thomas Version) :-)
[quote]On May 12, 2020, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
Coronavirus closed down restaurants, bars, movie theaters, social life, and company mandated working from home, looks like it's time to relearn Stand Up Monte (again). [/quote]

Funny you say that... I just started to relearn it again on Sunday (Garret Thomas Version) :-) [/quote]
You mean the Keith Bennett (of the UK) trick that was stolen by Garrett Thomas; yet marketed as 'his version'?
This tricks works awesome on Zoom and social media, recommended!
[quote]On Jun 25, 2020, Merc Man wrote:
[quote]On May 12, 2020, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:

Funny you say that... I just started to relearn it again on Sunday (Garret Thomas Version) :-) [/quote]
You mean the Keith Bennett (of the UK) trick that was stolen by Garrett Thomas; yet marketed as 'his version'? [/quote]
Tru dat.

Poor Keith never received due credit.