(Close Window)
Topic: "Floating" table with table cloth......
Hello,

I have recently seen the same trick performed with an almost identical table. I saw Nick Norton do it in Idahpo as well as Stephane Vanel in Las Vegas.

The trick I believe is similar to a UFO or Spider-Pen trick, when they put a table cloth on a small table (similar to an end table), place an item on top of the table cloth, and then just holding the corners of the table cloth they make the table appear to float all around the room.

My question is, since I have seen it twice in the last 2 months, it most be a somewhat common trick. Does anyone know where I can learn how to do this trick and/or purchase any gimmicks involved? Part of me thinks it might be a Jeff McBride trick...
For those worried about revealing "secrets" I know the concept of the trick. To try to prove this without revealing details I will say what I need to learn and know most are how to use the table cloth properly and if there is somewhere to purchase one...
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Aug 13, 2011 01:18AM)
There are very poorly made rip-offs, that would be dishonest to purchase.

Then there is the original version with several different models available.

It is not easy to learn or do well, so the table really looks like it's levitating.

http://www.losander.me/epages/62364720.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62364720/Categories/Floating_Table
Proper handling of the losander (or even a rip-off), even when you "know the concept," is beautiful to behold.

-Philip
I just purchased a table from Losander at the SAM convention. It really looks amazing and is well made. Check out the Losander for more on the table. It does take some practice to make it look good.
Servante said right. Like anything in the market now days you get what you pay for. We hear this everyday. I have seen some copies blow away an audience. To their sense of vision they don't know if their facing an owens or a john doe remake. As whole,any effect that is placed in the proper rehearsed hands can create a bomb.
The costs of magic has gone out of hand,but for whom. To each his own. If you want a ferrari be prepared to pay for it,but it will last a lifetime.
I own a Losander Table and I have seen and examined some of the cheap rip offs. I am thankful that I purchased the original. The quality and the look is amazing and I don't have to worry about being labeled as a RIP OF MAGICIAN when I perform. It's not only about making money but also about building a reputation. Buy your props from the creators or their authorized dealers and you can be proud of what you own. It will also have a better resale value if you ever need to sell the product.
In reference to prices.. it is to give you a more exclusive product, something that not every magician owns and performs in every show. (remember people want entertainers that are unique). People who sell products at cheap prices just flood the market with that product in order to make money. This creates what we call cookie cutter magicians.
Wow! Thanks so much for the info... So I understand the concept of "knock-offs" being a rip-off to the magician, but it also sounds like they are of inferior quality. Is the $500 Losander pretty crappy as well? I mean it is 1/4 or 1/5 the price of the others!
I currently own the beginer table that is the one that is $500 and NO its not crappy it works just like the others.

the only difference is that it does not look as beefy as the others but I never had any one come up to me and say that my table does not look good they only ask how I made it float.

I PMd you as I am currently selling my table.

Losander sells the best tables hands down!

sam
Losander was kind enough to personally deliver it to me when I was performing at a resort near El Paso. LUNA was still expecting child. He and Luna both guarantee the craftsmanship and offer tuneUp after normal wear and tear. You kind of belong to a special group upon your purchase.
ENJOY,
Always go with the original.

Good Times,

D
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Aug 19, 2011 11:38PM)
Caught up with Losander at Magic Live in Vegas.
He's got some beautiful stuff going there!

For instance the anti-gravity table boxes as antique or music box with key.

And a new book with huge variations of styles, so you can mix and match special finish tops, centers, and legs to customize a table like no one else in the world.

He's the man! Nobody, nobody can offer the selection, quality, and value of the originals

Walt
I just saw the video for Losander's Trinity Floating Table. It has the look that I like and it's sturdier than his other tables.
Did you guys actually read the original post, or are you just excited to talk about Losander's tables?? ;)

[quote]
On 2011-08-13 01:30, djswas wrote:

[b]The trick I believe is similar to a UFO or Spider-Pen trick[/b], when they put a table cloth on a small table (similar to an end table), place an item on top of the table cloth, and then just holding the corners of the table cloth they make the table appear to float all around the room.

[/quote]
[quote]
On 2011-08-13 01:30, djswas wrote:
The trick I believe is similar to a UFO or Spider-Pen trick, when they put a table cloth on a small table (similar to an end table), place an item on top of the table cloth, and then just holding the corners of the table cloth they make the table appear to float all around the room.
[/quote]

I have some IT laying around I don't use. Let me know if you want some. I also have a bag of used flash paper I don't need.
I agree Losander's tables are the best to look at and he performs it brilliantly, but for those of us who cant afford several hundred dollars we have to make do with a cheap knock off.
[quote]On Jan 5, 2019, garyogden1957 wrote:
I agree Losander's tables are the best to look at and he performs it brilliantly, but for those of us who cant afford several hundred dollars we have to make do with a cheap knock off. [/quote]

That's a fallacy garyogden1957: performing a floating table routine in the Losander style is not compulsory. There is no need to copy, If you can't afford a Losander's floating table, you can simply perform a different effect.

Nobody is forcing you to buy an unethical cheap knock off, if you decide to go that way is just because you don't respect intellectual property.
[quote]On Jan 5, 2019, Sorcerer wrote:
[quote]On Jan 5, 2019, garyogden1957 wrote:
I agree Losander's tables are the best to look at and he performs it brilliantly, but for those of us who cant afford several hundred dollars we have to make do with a cheap knock off. [/quote]

That's a fallacy garyogden1957: performing a floating table routine in the Losander style is not compulsory. There is no need to copy, If you can't afford a Losander's floating table, you can simply perform a different effect.

Nobody is forcing you to buy an unethical cheap knock off, if you decide to go that way is just because you don't respect intellectual property. [/quote]

I never said it was compulsory? I don't respect intellectual property? I don't want to perform a different effect I want to do the table routine ok?
Garyogden1957, if you "want to do the table routine" (you forget the importance of calling it properly: "the LOSANDER'S table routine") and you respect intellectual properly, you should do it with a Losander table, as Dirk Losander has clearly asked countless times http://www.losander.me/epages/62364720.mobile/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62364720/Categories/Floating_Table&Locale=en_US

If you can't afford it, just go to a different effect. There is no justification to steal what you can't afford.
Stop talking absolute rubbish! If I wish to do a table routine I will use whatever I can afford ok?
Respect the creators. Http://www.losander.me/epages/62364720.mobile/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62364720/Categories/Copy&Locale=en_US
You seem to be under the illusion (sic) that Losander invented the floating table effect when in fact he invented the "Losander" table effect ok?

It might not be possible, at this late date, to identify the originator of the "floating table," or more correctly (in the contemporaneous vernacular) the "table levitation." It's safe to say, though, that it originated with the resurgence of the movement -- inspired by the Fox sisters -- to communicate with ghosts, which came, of course, to be known as Spiritualism.

Eusapia Palladino was, without question, the queen of the table rappers and levitators, and it may well be she who "invented" the technique. There are numerous accounts of her having performed the phenomena in both magic and early psychic research literature. The first account of her lifting a table mentioned in print was, I believe, in 1888.

The first account of a magician duplicating the feat I've encountered is described in Burlingame's " Leaves From Conjurers' Scrap Books," published in 1891. In a chapter entitled " Second-Site Artists ," Burlingame writes: "An exceedingly clever performer in the anti-spiritualist line, is Prof. Marvelle. He has displayed a great deal of genius in his tricks and apparatus, which has not been confined to magic alone... He excels in anti-spiritualist work, such as rope-tying, slate-writing, materialization, table lifting [emphasis mine] and mind-reading..."

Hope this helps.

Greg Edmonds
Official Historian, Psychic Entertainers Association (I knew I'd be able to use that title somewhere :p )

The end
Losander has not been the first levitating a table, but his method and routine have raised the effect to a different level.
If you don't think so, then why do you name it as "a cheap knock off"?
[quote]On Jan 5, 2019, Sorcerer wrote:
Losander has not been the first levitating a table, but his method and routine have raised the effect to a different level.
If you don't think so, then why do you name it as "a cheap knock off"? [/quote]

For your information if you would take a second to read I never said Losanders was a knock off version, I said for those of us who can't afford the Losander table we would have to make do with a cheaper inferior version. Hope this puts and end to this. Understood?
I certainly understand your point from the beginning. You pretend that there are people who are forced to copy the other's ideas because they can't afford paying for them. If that "cheaper inferior versions" are not a copy from Losander's that would be OK. But you admit the cheaper versions are a knock off of Losander's. If something is a "knock off" is because there is an "original" that has been copied. Copying without permission is not respecting intellectual property. There are many ways of earning a living without copying.
I am not interested in intellectual property I leave that to lawyers. How many hundreds of tricks out there are blatant copies of someone elses work?
I had noticed that you don't mind intellectual property.

I totally agree with you, unfortunately hundreds of tricks are blatant copies without permission of someone else's work. That's something sad that hurts the creative minds which could come with new ideas and effects, this drags down the advancement of this art.
If someone copies Losander's table, gimmick and routine and sells it cheaper, is that OK? No it is NOT. If I see a routine of some magic trick on YouTube that is a commercially made prop, and I KNOW how it works, but cannot afford it, is it OK to make it MYSELF and perform? NO it is NOT! I can NEVER afford a proper Losander Table. I will NEVER perform it. Simple as that. I know how to do several versions of the Floating Table, several of which are ungimmicked. Not sure, but I THINK they are Public Domain. Or at least in Tarbell...

Doug
I saw a note on Losander's site ([url]http://www.losander.me/epages/62364720.mobile/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62364720/Products/%22Losander%27s%20Original%22[/url]):
[quote]This Model can be traded in later to upgrade to a better model without loosing the original investment. Just trade it in and receive the full amount as a discount on a upper model.[/quote]
So I inquired if he resold the old tables, and he replied that he sells refurbished Original tables for $500. Seems like a pretty good deal!
Well said, Dougini, that's exactly the point, there are no excuses.

You're right too, Link774. In the specific case of Losander he even provides facilities for doing things right.
I cannot stand it when people use "I'm broke..." for an excuse to steal. Chuck Leach and I had a conversation about people ripping off The Raven. Charlie Justice and I talked about Prohibition. Axel Hecklau has had his stuff lifted. The attitude "I can d@mn-well do what I WANT, now go AWAY, there's a good fellow..." does not fly with me. He IS right, he could change the table, routine and gimmick and it would not be ripping off Losander. It's the COMBINATION of Losander's ideas TOGETHER that are at stake here.

The words "too soon" ring true here...

Doug
[quote]On Aug 13, 2011, donrodrigo wrote:
Servante said right. Like anything in the market now days you get what you pay for. We hear this everyday. I have seen some copies blow away an audience. To their sense of vision they don't know if their facing an owens or a john doe remake. As whole,any effect that is placed in the proper rehearsed hands can create a bomb.
The costs of magic has gone out of hand,but for whom. To each his own. If you want a ferrari be prepared to pay for it,but it will last a lifetime. [/quote]

The cheapest Ferrari as of September 2019 is around 210k. For just less than 80k You can buy a top of the line Corvette which is faster, cheaper to maintain, gets better gas mileage, and actually has an air conditioner that will let you be comfortable while driving. Hell, for less than 45k you can buy a Camaro that outperforms a Ferrari. Plus, you can put your brood in the backseat.

Losander's stuff is made in China no matter what his site says. We all know what Zombie means. It's not even close to being new.
By the way, Losander sells a DVD with the explanation on how this is done. Which would let the purchaser build their own table, or have a skilled woodworker build one. I'm not knocking Losander. He sells a high quality product, the instructions, and guarantees the product. Twelve hundred dollars may seem high, but the materials alone cost 500 dollars. Plus you need the tools and skill to manufacture.
Go for Losander - it is worth it! Save the money for such a table - it will pay itself back quickly.
; )
The cheap comes out expensive!!!
So I went for the original ...
Still waiting for the delivery after almost four months!
Threads like this always make wonder whether the original poster is more interested in the magic or in the prop itself.

Just sayin'.
Losander's stuff is made in China" Really?? He told me they were "hand made" in Germany. So what's the truth??
Losander's tables are made in Germany by Losander's father