(Close Window)
Topic: Most expensive set of cups?
This is the most expensive set of cups I come across, starting bid is 9000 pds.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9726031

Francis
The provenance of these cups is impressive. If I recall correctly, these cups were featured in one of the Bob Read inserts in the Michael Ammar C&B video set (the one in which he explains the evolution of cup design). Would be the crown jewel in your burgeoning collection, Francis!
Hi Fortasse,

This is way out of my affordability range!
Francis
So you get two partners and each gets one cup... Or you rotated the set monthly. :kermit:
This is just one item in a arge and EXTREMELY important magic auction that is to take place in London on the 8th September. It looks as if the estate of Bob Read is selling off a substantial part of his massive C&B print collection. I just checked out the catalogue on the auction website. Incidentally, buyers will have to pay a whopping 22% premium on top of the hammer price....definitely not for the faint of heart!
I hope the Read Collection of prints has been or is about to be published.
Good question, Pete. After this auction and the likely dispersion of so many prints among so many different people, it will be difficult to put together a compendium of prints for publication if it hasn't been prepped already. I'm sure the estate must still have a great many prints left (unless they were sold off privately already) but the particular prints (and some C&B themed oil paintings) that have been selected for auction on the 8th September represent the best of the best of the Read collection. Indeed, I was struck by how many of these prints and paintings are the same ones that were personally selected by Bob Read for inclusion in the Miracle Factory's 2001 reprint of Clarke's Annals of Conjuring.
Fortasse, can you post a link to the auction catalog?

It will be truly sad if Bob's collection is dispersed without a publication on his collection in the works.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/26133

Todd: Here you go.
Although the provenance of these cups is impressive, much of it is based on supposition. There are unmentioned links in the provenance.

According to one Hofzinser expert, these cups do not match the sketches Hofzinser made in the margin of his notes. Having seen a photocopy of these notes, I can attest to his assertion.

One of the key phrases here is "The cups were apparently comissioned by Hofzinser and made from a special alloy in the 1860's."

The special alloy is nickel silver. It was commonly used for cane and umbrella handles. The cups are probably not plated, as claimed in the listing. According to Fischer, he got them from Georg Heubeck who was a student of Hofzinser. But the connection is quite tenuous. The style of manufacture is not contemporaneous with the 1860's, but probably closer to the 1880's, which was after the death of Hofzinser.

However, Bob thought they belonged to Hofzinser. In any case, they probably belonged to Fischer for a while, probably belonged to Keith Clark for a while, and definitely belonged to Bob Read.
AS far as I know all of Read's images have been digitized and are in the hands of the publisher.
I e-mailed the publisher to let him know that I would not be at Eurocol 4. He says the images are all digitized.
Any additional news on the publication?
So Francis, are you bidding? Wow, it amazes me how the history behind an item raises (or potentially lowers) the price.
Thanks for the heads-up, Bill....sobering indeed. Pretty much kills my interest in them.

Sean
[quote]
On 2011-08-28 23:19, Hassidic Top Hat wrote:
So Francis, are you bidding? Wow, it amazes me how the history behind an item raises (or potentially lowers) the price.
[/quote]
Most certainly not!

Hi Bill and Pete,

What does it mean when we say it's digitalized? Does it mean that they are going to print the images and sell them individually or compile into the book we are waiting for? Thanks

Francis
Bill can give you details, but my info says a book.
Book, please!
Nowadays when a book goes to press, it's different than it was about 25 or 30 years ago. In the old days, it was all done with letterpress. This produced really clean images, but was terribly expensive. These days, almost every book you find is created digitally, submitted as a PDF file, which is read by Quark, Adobe Pagemaker or CS-5 or whatever the press uses. So the photos are ready to be inserted into the text pages.
Bill: Any idea of the status of the Read book?
Would love to know that too.
No. I wish I could tell you something, but I know it isn't ready to print yet. They are working on it. It's a big project!
Apparently, there is a bid for the cups now, wow! I am really curiously how high the price will go.

Francis
The cups sold for 10,000 GBP.
Any idea who got 'em? If all the stuff sells, Pauline should be able to retire in comfort.
I have a feeling that he changed his last name from Kotkin to the name of a famous Dickens character.
Sounds right.
According to Twitter Teller bought them.
Could be.
Who has the Vernon engraved that Jennings' widow sold? (I know Persi has a set).
As an on-looker, this conversation is fascinating.

I am continually amazed by the amount of knowledge that is located on this board. Or perhaps better put, I am amazed by the generosity of folks sharing their knowledge.

Good stuff.

RevJohn
Just gossiping!