(Close Window)
Topic: Get Going on WEAR 2011!
If you are an established escape artist doing regular shows, you are probably performing on Saturday, October 22.

If you are an aspiring escape artist, what better way to draw attention to your work than to participate in the [URL=http://www.ibmring362.org/WEAR2011.html]Worldwide Escape Artist Relay 2011[/URL]?

Please see the [URL=http://www.ibmring362.org/WEAR2011/WEAR2011registration.html]WEAR 2011 Registration Page[/URL] and sign up if you have not yet done so.

I.B.M. Ring 362 has set up its show for three participating escape artists with a poster and press release. Please see the press release for [url=http://www.ibmring362.org/WEAR2011/WEAR2011press.html#hoedown1]Bo-Dean Jimmy-Don Baker's Magic Hoedown & Thrill Show[/URL].

The world needs heroes!
Missing WEARiors:

I noticed on your site (great job btw) that several of our regular WEARiors have not signed up. Anyone know where they are or what they are doing?
Sorry. Running late on registation. I'm in.
I'll be registering this evening! Can't wait to participate!!!
Okay--I'll break silence and become the proverbial 'wet blanket.'

When this whole business began, the goal was to garner GLOBAL publicity, the original 'hook' being a Guinness Book record.

Didn't happen.

We did this three times, garnering a smattering of local write-ups, but not the global attention the event was intended to generate.

We suggested bettering the odds by focusing on some important charity or cause.

That quickly fizzled.

To have the desired effect, the WEAR must grab the attention of the major media chains, focusing on the scale of a global event, not simply local write-ups for a few performers.

We have yet to find an effective 'hook' to make the larger media organizations take notice.

If individual performers want local coverage, they can get it without the WEAR, and probably with greater success, not being tied to a fixed date.

I strongly suspect the low turnout to be based on a sense of irrelevance and apathy on the part of prospective weariers (myself included), a sense of irrelevance and apathy largely shared by the media at large.

Until we find a global 'hook' to grab widespread attention, WEAR is stuck being little more than an escapologists' 'feel good outing.'
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Sep 28, 2011 08:00PM)
Steve, I didn't want to rain on everyone's parade and post on this subject but since you have done that very thing, I will now voice my opinion on this matter. I have been scratching my head lately asking what in the world is this thing about/for anyway???? I tried to talk Steve Santini into doing something for WEAR back a few years ago because it was an exuse to go out and perform and that can't hurt anyone who is looking to perform, draw crowds, get publicity, etc. However, I have found that this event is not what it was first intended (as Steve has stated), we have not gotton any publicity, into the GWBR, or done anything productive. The last minute setting of the date in 2007 screwed my show up horribly and I ended up having to wing a performance for about 3 people with a multi-hour set up and tear down instead of a packed house (indoors) with ability to get some paying gigs from the exposure. There has been problems galore every time I have participated.......venue problems, assistance problems, video problems, you name it. I did a HELL of a lot of work to make the 2007 performance happen and never even got reconized as having been a part of it (managment issues with those running the event). The whole WEAR thing has left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't think I will be going out of my way to participatethis year.
Hi Steve, Glad you brought up the topic, I thought I was the only who thought the whole idea wasn't going any where and didn't meet it's expectations as 'global relay.'
Between the WEAR and youtube, it appear to me to be just for people to be self indulgent and say “look at me”.
It doesn’t do really anything to promote escape as the bulk of the participants don’t have a clue. The message boards are full of people who pass on misinformation to the naive and it really is the blind leading the blind.
It’s rare to see someone post where they are actually performing and giving dates so those close enough may wish to drop in.
It would be far better to get a week of real escape work with an audience than to have three minutes in the back yard with friends and call it good for the business or that one calls themselves an escape artist.
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Sep 29, 2011 03:34AM)
"It�s rare to see someone post where they are actually performing and giving dates so those close enough may wish to drop in. "

If a performer is doing the show for money and he/she is in business to make money then it is not in their best interest to let people who are in the same racket go to their show. I, for one, never liked seeing other magicians at my shows, sizing me up and possibly looking to hone in on my business or steal my ideas and/or routines. Then there is the issue of some "fellow performer" making the all-too-familiar call from the audience, "I CHALLENGE YOU!!!!"

This is a very competitive business, especially for people who live in the same area or at least living in driving distance from one another. No thank you......I do not wish to see any fellow EA's at any of my gigs, paying gigs or not.
Hi Michael, You amused me once again. Oh' how I can see why you would not like another EA at one of your shows.............
What world are you living in with the idea that there is "making the all-too-familiar call from the audience, "I CHALLENGE YOU!!!!"
That type of thinking went out early last century.
To all of our nay-Sayers...

You are either 100% correct or certainly close to it. I have no argument with anything you have said. I will however choose to keep going. Why?
Well, just becasue some thing does not take off right away doesn't mean it wont. We have the disadvantage of happening only once every other year. I am not suggesting more often, I am only pointing out that any of you who have started a business of any kind know you will not be an overnight success. So far we basically have nothing as far as building of momentum. I am still hopeful that one day there could be a global special on TV called WEAR or maybe "The WEARiors".

I also agree that while WEAR has given me great personal success, this is only because I am not a man who makes a living doing magic. to those of you that are professional, you probably gain considerably less than I do over this event.

Still you and I never know when some major theater player or network exec will happen to take notice of our little efforts.
"The definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing the exact same way and expecting a different result."

Without SOLID thought, planning and a VIABLE HOOK to grab widespread media attention, the odds of WEAR 'hitting' by blind repetition are akin to winning the lottery--it could happen, but the odds are astronomically against.
No offense Guys, But Do you really want it to be for something Bigger? Is that not MORE of a "HEY LOOK AT ME" message than just doing it for the fun of it?

I unfortunately wont be entering this year as I have just moved to Thailand recently and am not settled enough to do it this year, But I think it is still a nice thing to do. Entertainers in the same profession, doing what they love to do on the same day. I personally think it is a pulling together of Colleagues. Who CARES if GWR or Ripleys B O N is not interested in covering it. Just because they will rather cover Gross things than a Community of entertainers around the world pulling together to try bring their art back to the spotlight, does not mean we should just give up and not do it.

I cannot Guarantee I can do a Show, But if I can, I will try. Because I support the SPIRIT of Escapes and what it stands for.

Regards
Wolflock
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Sep 30, 2011 04:19AM)
[quote]
On 2011-09-29 08:20, Ian McColl wrote:
Hi Michael, You amused me once again. Oh' how I can see why you would not like another EA at one of your shows.............
What world are you living in with the idea that there is "making the all-too-familiar call from the audience, "I CHALLENGE YOU!!!!"
That type of thinking went out early last century.
[/quote]

Ian, tell that to all the EA's who have done it or have had it done to them in more recent times. The guy who calls himself houdeny has made it his mission to challenge any and all EA's who dare to call themselves EA's to ridiculous contests to force everyone BUT him out of Escapes......he has even, according to one source, came to Steve Baker's house, beat on his door, and challenged him right on the spot. Vienno (spelling-?) got blind-sided by a fellow EA at a place no more than 50 miles from where I am presently sitting and challenged over the fact that he was using a gaffed straitjacket in his show (while he was injured and trying to recover no less)!!!! And don't get me started on Steve Baker and Norm Bigelow! Norm had special cuffs made to trap ****** who would try to publicly challenge him while on stage......I know because I heard all about it first hand AND I was sent a blueprint of the "King Breaker Cuffs" and was asked to create a cut-away model of them (which I did). This field is full of jealous, mean, cynical people who believe they are the only ones who deserve to be in the art. Truth be told, Houdini was kind of the same way but Houdini actually brought this art to life and invented his own thing which was copied over and over again......so I guess we can forgive HH a little bit for his ways. Maybe they do things a little differently down under??? Maybe all the mean EA wannabes are here in the US?
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Sep 30, 2011 04:31AM)
[quote]
On 2011-09-29 11:12, Cliffg37 wrote:
To all of our nay-Sayers...

You are either 100% correct or certainly close to it. I have no argument with anything you have said. I will however choose to keep going. Why?
Well, just becasue some thing does not take off right away doesn't mean it wont."

[/quote]

Cliff, thank you for pointing out that we (the nay-sayers) are 100% correct about this issue......now I don't feel so bad for pointing out some of the flaws. Also, one small thing; you said, "just becasue some thing does not take off right away doesn't mean it wont." TRUE! However, this thing started in 2005.......how long til we know weather it is going to take off or not?

I am sorry if I sound cynical but I am growing very disillusioned with escapology and magic in general. Please don't take anything I have said as a personal attack; it is not meant to be like that. This started out as a great idea but it just kind of went in the crapper in a big hurry, despite a lot of effort to make it into something special.
Don't worry Michael, I am not taking any of this personally. I still say that without any of the original proposed successes, that WEAR favors the non-pro in a big way. For a professional Escape artist, you have your publicity and marketing machine running well and constantly. What ever it is you do to get gigs and pack the house, it must be working. If it never worked, or stopped working, you would no longer be a pro, you would be bankrupt, or finding a new line of work. For a part timer like me, I have no machine running of any kind. I am dependent on the venue of the show to help spread the word. WEAR is a way for me to drop the name "Houdini" (a name everyone knows, and a name that builds excitement) without comparing myself to him. This is good becasue it gets attention without my having to try to fill his shoes. I have a radio spot coming up, that I got only becasue of the event. "Oh, a magician is doing a show" is an uninteresting yawn producer. A world wide event is another story.

I do not expect you, or anyone else, to agree with me. I suppose I could build publicity through creative processes (lying) but I prefer not to do that.

Those are my two cents.
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Oct 1, 2011 03:53AM)
Cliff, just to clear one thing up......I (at the request of so many people) have never quit my day job (tongue-in-cheek)=P. I was a professional, doing up to 12 shows per week at one time while still working in the factory during the weekdays, but in recent years, shows are FEW and FAR between!!! I don't like to do very many freebies or stuff for my own amusement......my time is short and I like to make money if I take my time and effort to perform. However, with the economic collapse in this country, people do not hire magicians like they use to. So, one might consider me a semi-retired, semi-pro who doesn't like to put on a show unless someone is ponying up some dough. =)

Good luck with your show and I wish nothing but the best for you and everyone who decides to participate!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
I don't just think it is the Economy. With TV, Satalite, Internet and all the other things. No one watches live entertainment anymore. We are a Dying Breed.
"people will pay their last nickle to be entertained"
- P.T. Barnum
Live outside shows have kept me for many years,,,,there will always be speckies to see the unusual and sensational.

Regards WEAR,,,it just requires a tag to put it on the map,,,,,ie,,,,if one of you guys died doing a practise escape for WEAR it would give all the rest of us more than ample backing and gain international coverage in a matter of hours.

So those who wish to offer up for this worthy cause,,,,pm me,,,,it can be arranged.

The above although in jest is sadly true >>>>> Had huge press prepared for a stunt in the making last year,,,,on the day I was out staged by a major rape crime which took the front pages from me (Still it had its rewards as I was on page three !!!!).

Ken.
I think that the idea that WEAR was going to get 1) worldwide coverage or 2) world records for everyone was naive.

Let's deal with the record organizations first. I was contacted by Record Holders Republic to take the link off the WEAR 2009 page, because they were tired of getting submissions from people with non-standard or gaffed equipment. They felt that it detracted from their mission of promoting records of real skill. The other record organization (the big one) isn't interested in the most people doing something on the same day scattered all over the world; that was settled long ago.

As for worldwide press, what's the story here? Many escape artists get great press. The stories are variations on the same theme. A performer tells his or her story. He or she was inspired by Houdini. The nature of the escape, whether historical, or dangerous, or record-setting, is detailed. Perhaps there is a charity hook. People buy tickets. The cycle repeats. These are stories about unique individuals. A story about a mass of rugged individuals doing something on the same day is not a story. It is never going to be a story.

So what good is WEAR? If you are doing a show, it is a publicity hook to something larger. That's all. It improves your local or regional coverage.

I have had a lot of fun with WEAR every time. It has been a good thing for me. I am sorry to see people being negative about it, but it doesn't keep me up at night. People who do great shows or other great things are positive people. I guess that some of the successful people who are negative about WEAR are positive about other things, and I hope that those endeavors are going well for them.

For those of you are in, I hope that you are looking forward to October 22 as much as I am!

Yours,

Paul
Hi there everyone,

although I do not consider my self and escape artist I am a full time illusionist and perform several escapes in my show as well as other escapes for publicity thru out the year.

any who- I caught this thread and was intrigued by it. may I offer a thought

I think you are going about this all the wrong way. I understand the idea of getting national exposure for escape artist but in todays world that's just not news.

what is news

hundreds of escape artist showing up in NY time square all being locked up in PINK straight jackets suporting breast cancer awareness and having sponsers for each of the artist escaping thus raising thousands of dollars for a great cause!

now that is news that has a hook and you will be doing a wonderful thing raising the much needed money for this cause. sure it can be any cuase but I think the idea of hundreds of men wearing PINK straight jackets would make for a great photo op and a great news story.

I love performing my routine but how cool would it be to see hundreds of us doing it at the same time in one location. and that my friend is the key getting us all in one location. this makes it easy for the news to cover it, as well as record holder counting people.

just my thoughts - I have few others but after thinking it thru I felt this was the best idea.

this would I think would accomplish what WEAR is trying to do.

sam
Sam,

That would certainly be a good publicity stunt. I can't say what it is that WEAR is trying to do, because different people have different ideas about what that is.

WEAR got started in 2005 with a discussion of a daisy-chain handcuff escape and other kinds of stunts that involved collecting in a single location. That proved not to be feasible, because it wasn't possible to get a large number of people to agree to travel to a single location.

Yours,

Paul
Don't take this the wrong way but then that's their problem!

that then is the issue they are not really dedicated to what they claim then, if my understanding is that they want to gain national publicity then you need to be willing to do what is needed to be done to get the publicity. (think I just created a new tounge twister there) LOL

large number of people get together for many other causes and maybe having a cause would convince more people to be involved and willing to drive to or take the train to a specific location.

I guess it all comes down to the willingness of the participants

sam
Sam,

If individual escape artists are doing well at getting bookings and selling tickets to their shows, why should they invest time and energy to help others?

If an individual escape artist is not yet successful, how can they justify spending time and money to promote the art in general if this is not going to pay off for them?

Yours,

Paul
Not sure I understand your questions

first question - of course they should want to help others!! that's a no brainer and if they don't want to help a great cause well then they suck! if they are too good (or think they are too good) to help others then I don't want their help!

I get my own publicity and book my own shows this is my full time job and yet I always make time each year to volunteer to help certain charities or great causes. its not always whats in it for me! that's the wrong attitude! wheres the servants heart in that attitude.

second question- any and all exposure or networking is a good thing. so they may not be successful yet but this or other events that they participate in would help further their status of moving forward in the biz. when I first started out I did almost any show I could do. many times working with top professionals. wow I learned alot! now I am one of those top professionals! so there is lots of value in spending some of my money and time to help a great cause and hang with some other entertainers and who knows what kind of info they may pick up and learn a few things that will help them. I'm still learning and that is the secret to real success - keep learning from those who have gone on before you!

again not sure of your questions I mean I understand them but not sure why you ask them. is there some kind of lack of comrodery with in the escape artist relm? we should have an attitude how can I help others and not whats in it for me.

sam
[quote]
On 2011-10-07 11:51, Sam Sandler wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way but then that's their problem!

that then is the issue they are not really dedicated to what they claim then, if my understanding is that they want to gain national publicity then you need to be willing to do what is needed to be done to get the publicity. (think I just created a new tounge twister there) LOL

large number of people get together for many other causes and maybe having a cause would convince more people to be involved and willing to drive to or take the train to a specific location.

I guess it all comes down to the willingness of the participants

sam
[/quote]

Why Time Square? Why not another Country? It has nothing to do with dedication. It has to do with others maybe not having the funding, Time, etc. Remember this is a WORLD WIDE Event, not Nation wide event.
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Oct 8, 2011 09:42PM)
[quote]
On 2011-10-08 19:41, Sam Sandler wrote:

is there some kind of lack of comrodery with in the escape artist relm? we should have an attitude how can I help others and not whats in it for me.

sam
[/quote]

Sam, Escapology is a whole different animal than any other branch of magic. A lot of EA's would like to be the ONLY EA and do not want to share their secrets in technique, performance, business practice, etc with anyone. Jealousy is the name of the game in Escapes.
Wolflock- it could be any where you missed the point of the post I fear. I don't care where it is I was merely pointing out one idea that's all.
times square came to mind as it is as they say the center of the universe. all the news stations are right there and it makes it easy to get noticed and from what I understand that is the issue here. trying to get publicity. it could be any where or any country but keep in mind if you have it in utah on a farm or in spain in an unknown city you are less likely to get the publicity you are trying to get. any who have it where ever you can get the most people to show and get the best publicity

Michael- yes I have heard something along those lines before. thanks for filling me in with more details. I will be sure to tread lightly.:) I am illusionist and perform several escapes and well versed in escapes- would not call myself an expert or anything close to that but I understand publicity and being an escape artist myself I offered a thought

take it or leave it I guess. if I can help I am here to do so.

best of luck to all

sam
Escapology doesn’t have that many secrets, the internet has seen to that. Childish minds will say jealousy is the root of all ills between escape artists, it isn’t. Ignorance is the major factor.
When people have studied the art in all areas, performance, mechanics and phycology, it is not jealousy which makes them resist helping people, it’s because they make their living from the study and time they have put in.
Others simply don’t aid in any discussion because in reality they don’t know the answer, the silence is better than exposing themselves by opening their mouth.
For most part, people only learn just enough to get by. Learn a few escapes and do them well. When someone asks them about an escape they don’t know, due to the assumed ‘job description’ ..escape artist can escape most things!!... they will either pretend to know but not say anything, or say the wrong thing to appear to know.
This message board is full of one off, ‘I know! listen to me’ type replies. Some of which probably put more people in danger than save them.
It is fairly common to have a novice say like” I have been booked next week to do a show and I want to do something BIG. Any suggestion? I am thinking of doing a burning rope upside down, never done escapes before can someone help??.....
Out of the woodwork, many will try to assist with many suggestions but those who know will keep quiet and it’s not jealousy it’s just smart.
People who are mature and self confident don’t get or feel the need for jealousy that is for kids in playgrounds.
[quote]
On 2011-10-09 15:39, Ian McColl wrote:
Escapology doesn’t have that many secrets, the internet has seen to that. Childish minds will say jealousy is the root of all ills between escape artists, it isn’t. Ignorance is the major factor.
When people have studied the art in all areas, performance, mechanics and phycology, it is not jealousy which makes them resist helping people, it’s because they make their living from the study and time they have put in.
Others simply don’t aid in any discussion because in reality they don’t know the answer, the silence is better than exposing themselves by opening their mouth.
For most part, people only learn just enough to get by. Learn a few escapes and do them well. When someone asks them about an escape they don’t know, due to the assumed ‘job description’ ..escape artist can escape most things!!... they will either pretend to know but not say anything, or say the wrong thing to appear to know.
This message board is full of one off, ‘I know! listen to me’ type replies. Some of which probably put more people in danger than save them.
It is fairly common to have a novice say like” I have been booked next week to do a show and I want to do something BIG. Any suggestion? I am thinking of doing a burning rope upside down, never done escapes before can someone help??.....
Out of the woodwork, many will try to assist with many suggestions but those who know will keep quiet and it’s not jealousy it’s just smart.
People who are mature and self confident don’t get or feel the need for jealousy that is for kids in playgrounds.
[/quote]
:applause:
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Oct 9, 2011 04:20PM)
Ian, you are somewhat right in what you have said. "It is fairly common to have a novice say like� I have been booked next week to do a show and I want to do something BIG. Any suggestion? I am thinking of doing a burning rope upside down, never done escapes before can someone help??..... " This is a common place here on the boards.

"Escapology doesn�t have that many secrets, the internet has seen to that. " This is also correct. Any layman who has visited Cannon's Great Escapes website (unrestricted public access) could find out secrets by seeing all the gimmicked escape equipment for sale over there......many items made by some guy in Australia. ;) And lets not forget our little friend, Youtube......plenty of exposure there too.

However, jealousy IS a very real thing in this art and if you do not believe that, then you are very naive. I have been on the inside of this art for quite sometime and have had close friendships with several of the big shots in the game. I have spend untold hours on the phone with these guys hearing all their personal stories about their feuds with other contemporaries, their jealous rants about how this guy stole this from their act and did it on TV and that guy took this idea when it was in its infancy after they talked about it at a social event, or this guy made a public challenge to me and declared himself the winner by default, or this guy was challenged to do my escape and refused but told everyone that it never happened, and on and on and on. I will not mention names or specific details because even though I no longer speak to any of these guys, I still respect their privacy.

In my opinion, my mind is not childish for addressing the jealousy issue, I think other people (like Ian) just have a different opinion because they live way out in BFE and do not do escapes on a regular basis (if at all) anymore. Just my two cents.
I have been a classroom teacher for the last 20 years of my life. If you ask a teacher to share a lesson or activity that they have made, the standard answer is "of course" and they are very eager to help you out. At least me, and most teachers I know. Here comes the problem. Working from another teacher's material is all but impossible. They wrote it for themselves, and it suits their style.

I am going to suggest the same is true of escape artists. Micheal, if you taught me an escape that you do and have great success with, I will bet it would flop when I tried it. Even if you taught me your successful patter that went with it, unless I made it my own, it would never work for me. For this reason, and that I am an honest man, you would have nothing to fear from me being in your audience. Worse, some people might try to steal your stuff, and find that without the move you perfected, it does not work. This would be especially true of the magician who is just dieing to add an escape to his act. This could have terminal results depending on what the escape is.

as you said, my two cents.
Dear Amusing Mike,
I think you need to rethink your definition of jealousy. As I have been involved in the art and made many things for many performers for near on 30 years. I have also been in discussion with them. I know some people have had their act stolen and concepts used in TV shows without their consent.
This is unethical practice but has nothing to do with jealousy.
jealous = resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.
I think "egocentric rivalry" would be a tad more accurate.
Oh typo, sorry Michael.
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Oct 9, 2011 11:44PM)
"Amusing Mike"???

"Oh typo, sorry Michael."

Ian, you call me childish? You are 10 years older them me and it looks like YOU are the one who needs to grow up.
Never called you childish. (please re-read) I inferred being jealous is childish. Why is it that everytime I post here and try to respond to anything you say, I get a spray of your venom.

Ian
I have done and still do escapes for a job.....thats it. Its a job, not a way of life, no fame and sometimes no money but its a job.

The true secrets to keeping this job are found from doing it, not pretending, not from being jealous, not from theft from others and I could not teach anyone a way of life which entertainment demands this job to be !

An escapologist who mixes his content with magic defeats the name escapologist.

Its not the gimms the gaffs or anything that's on offer in the shops through dealers or anything else which will give you the secrets of escapology,you cant pick up anything other than BS or methods off YouTube,,,the internet is a great source of info and also breeds self promotioned idiots bull**itters and lies, so take it for what it is.

To be an escapologist you require %05 skill %25 balls %25 knowledge %50 drive and luck. Yes I know that's %105 all added up but the extra %5 is what gives you the edge.

If any one wanted to steal my act, my wife, my kids they would be welcome to cos I know it would only be a very short time before they would be paying me to take them all back.

Ken.
One of the great things about the conventions was that I was able to meet many people and spend time with them and it really helped me to see that I needed to mellow out myself and not take some things too seriously. The conventions also showed people willingly sharing information and I think that like magic not everything you see can work for you, it takes a sound understanding of your own personality and show image to select material.
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Oct 10, 2011 12:07PM)
[quote]
On 2011-10-10 01:18, Ian McColl wrote:
Never called you childish. (please re-read) I inferred being jealous is childish. Why is it that everytime I post here and try to respond to anything you say, I get a spray of your venom.

Ian
[/quote]

Ian, after I stated, "Escapology is a whole different animal than any other branch of magic. A lot of EA's would like to be the ONLY EA and do not want to share their secrets in technique, performance, business practice, etc with anyone. Jealousy is the name of the game in Escapes." you stated that "Childish minds will say jealousy is the root of all ills between escape artists, it isn�t. Ignorance is the major factor." I guess I took what you were saying wrong???
Hi Amazing Michael, I have emailed you in regard to your catalogue(?) and some locksmithing info. I don't know if you email is current (above) mindhunter42@

Hope to hear from you soon.

Ian
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Oct 12, 2011 03:53AM)
Ian, sometimes I see e-mails with your name on them come through my junk box. You usually have nothing productive to say so I don't bother to read them. Sorry.

I don't have a catalog, I just build things and people buy them. Sometimes I get orders from people saying, "I need cuffs that will do this or locks that will do that......can you help me???".....like the request I just got from a big shot magician this week. I made him a couple of customized antique gimmicked padlocks from genuine antique padlocks (a little different than the ones I usually make). He will have the locks in hand in less time than it use to take the Cannons to simply fill an order for locks that are already made up and sitting in their warehouse. The price for these locks are a lot less than Cannons would have charged too......but to be fair, I do all the work myself, I don't have a lot of expensive machinery, and I don't have to share the profit or deal with super high shipping costs to get the products here from half way across the world and then ship them to the buyer. I just do this stuff in my spare time for my own pleasure, the money I get doesn't even come close to paying for the time spent making the stuff......I enjoy helping people in this art with my talents.

In an unrelated note, this discussion is about WEAR, not about me, Ian, tricked locks, handcuffs, or anything else........lets get this back on topic please. The WEAR event will happen on the 22nd and after it does, we can all move on to more important things.
Hi Michael, that's great, now when I send people to you will they use the mindhunter email address?

Ian
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Oct 12, 2011 07:56PM)
Ian, thank you for thinking of me but I don't think you will need to send people my way......most of your former customers have already found me.
Excellent Michael. Glad to see you have have found an outlet for your factory employment skills.
(Interesting that you won't reply codially to my private emails but are happy to take shots at me in a public forum)
You are the all round American hero, what a hell of a guy!
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Oct 13, 2011 04:41AM)
Okay, once again, lets talk about WEAR, not about me.

Ian, I could not post what I wanted to, instead, I am going to PM you with it.
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Oct 13, 2011 04:49AM)
Ian, I was not able to PM you, so I sent it through e-mail. I am trying to keep things civil on the open forum. =)
Hi Michael, good man, I look forward to getting it.
PS how was your son's graduation? has it happen yet??

Ian
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Michael (Oct 13, 2011 07:19PM)
My youngest son's high school graduation? Yes, it already happened. My middle son also just graduated from college this past September. Why do you ask?
Soooo...how about this WEAR event, just a few more days!!!