(Close Window)
Topic: Math genius (IQ=185) living on canned mackerel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2035804/A-life-doesnt-add-The-Cambridge-maths-genius-recluse-living-tinned-mackerel.html
Well, you know how those high IQ people are.
The craziest people I've met have all been mathematicians. I've also seen / met Conway a number of times, as he works with some people I know. (The two sentences preceding this one are separate and unrelated, don't go mixing and confusing them.)
"A study published last year found that out of 210 gifted children whose progress was followed into later life, only 3 per cent went on to fulfil their early potential"

Interesting.
But there's only a 10 percent chance of that.
I like canned mackerel.
Where do you go trolling for that?
I was considered a "gifted" child. I was found to be reading at a third grade level in the first grade so in their wisdom the Powers That Be decided I needed to be "skipped" a grade and was put straight into second grade (Because I was a November baby, I was ineligible for kindergarten.)

It was a total disaster. I was completely unprepared for the stress of second grade, or third grade the next year or fourth grade the year after that. I was an emotional wreck and a holey terror in the school. After fourth grade, they decided to hold me back a year so I could catch up emotionally with everyone, but the damage was still done.

In high school, they discovered I was reading at a college level, but they didn't do anything about it.

Today, I'm a Wal*Mart cashier and doing magic on weekends in the park and a local college street. So I guess you can say I failed to live up to whatever my potential could have been.

I've often thought, if I were ever to write my memoirs (not that they'd be worth reading) I would title them "Memories of a Professional Failure."
[quote]
On 2011-09-12 00:45, ed rhodes wrote:
I was considered a "gifted" child. I was found to be reading at a third grade level in the first grade so in their wisdom the Powers That Be decided I needed to be "skipped" a grade and was put straight into second grade (Because I was a November baby, I was ineligible for kindergarten.)

It was a total disaster. I was completely unprepared for the stress of second grade, or third grade the next year or fourth grade the year after that. I was an emotional wreck and a holey terror in the school. After fourth grade, they decided to hold me back a year so I could catch up emotionally with everyone, but the damage was still done.

In high school, they discovered I was reading at a college level, but they didn't do anything about it.

Today, I'm a Wal*Mart cashier and doing magic on weekends in the park and a local college street. So I guess you can say I failed to live up to whatever my potential could have been.

I've often thought, if I were ever to write my memoirs (not that they'd be worth reading) I would title them "Memories of a Professional Failure."
[/quote]

I had the opposite problem. My Mom has a note I wrote in Kindergarten that says "Today we learned 'B,' as in Big Deal." I tested at a college reading level in 2nd grade. However, I was bored in class and didn't pay much attention. I still got straight A's but I was a little bit of a class clown. This led to my being diagnosed ADD and put into a special ed class, which is when I started skipping school and getting D's. Let me repeat, I had straight A's in a regular class and went to D's when they put me in special ed. Over the next few years I had issues with more incompetent administrators than I can count, one of whom told me I'd never graduate HS. It wasn't until HS that they finally tried putting me into the advanced classes and I got straight A's again. Graduated early and at the head of my class.
Still had trouble trusting authority though, thanks to all the problems.
Now that I've worked those out, I'm finally back in college and an honors student again.
So that vice principal (Sherry something, I think) at Libby Middle School who said I'd never graduate HS can Hilton my Hiltoning Hilton.
That goes for Mr. Billington too.
And I am Hilton sure gonna' get a good enough paying job that my kids won't have to go through the crap I did.
Its no good knowing a lot.
You have to know more than everyone.
[quote]
On 2011-09-12 00:45, ed rhodes wrote:

[/quote]

LOL
If you had lived on a can of mackerel you would be rich with all that money you would saved in rent or mortgage payments.
[quote]
On 2011-09-12 09:31, tommy wrote:
If you had lived on a can of mackerel you would be rich with all that money you would saved in rent or mortgage payments.
[/quote]

Chancellor Morton, I presume?
[quote]
On 2011-09-12 02:25, tommy wrote:
Its no good knowing a lot.
You have to know more than everyone.
[/quote]

It's not enough knowing more than everyone if you can't conform. Knowing more just makes you stick out more.
I took an IQ test as a child. My parents didn't tell me the result, apart from saying it was "up there." Also was diagnosed with ADD and took both "special ed" and "gifted" courses simultaneously. I was also bullied mercilessly for being different.

Critter's right- the smartest thing a smart kid can learn is to never tell anyone how smart they are.
I've known a magician or two who lived liked that, but they didn't own their own homes.
Fish is brain food. Maybe we should all be living on canned mackerel.
Yeah, as a former mathematician, I can unequivocally say: mathematicians are weird. It's not even the brilliant ones.

As a math major in college, I would sometimes sit in on friends' economics or business classes from time to time. I remember being struck at how strange it was in the five minutes before class. Everyone would file in, wearing "normal" clothes, all with short hair, nobody standing out. They all read the paper -- whether it was the LA Times, the Wall Street Journal, or the student paper. The chit-chat was about nothing at all... what they did last night, what they're going to do tonight, etc. Normal stuff. It was so different from the math and physics courses I was used to.

I could fill up the board with stories about the strange ways mathematicians related, the strange things we cared about, or the strange logic by which we lived life. Just one little example, which isn't even all that out there. But it shows an interesting point on a progression:

I was taking a class in fancy geometry. It was raining very hard that day, and the professor shows up a little late and soaking wet. He says, "Sorry I am late. Today, I was given a geometry problem by God. The problem was to find a path from my office to this classroom minimizing the line integral of the rain's vector field. I... [bowing his head, speaking solemnly] I... couldn't solve it."

I was never really sure if this was just his joking way of remarking how much it was raining, or something... else. I mean, sometimes when mathematicians or physicists refer to God in a technical context, they mean "the universe" or "nature" or something like that. (E.g., "God does not play dice...") In that context, his statement makes perfect sense. Geeky, to be sure, but nothing too crazy.

On the other hand, there was no smile, chuckle, or other social cue to help smooth the literal statement over. So for all I know, he really did think God personally gave him a geometry problem.

It's easy to imagine how you have a guy who's really interested in geometry at age, say, 20. He focusses on geometry to the exclusion of all else until he's, say, 40 (roughly the age of this professor at the time he made the statement) and really sees the universe as geometry. And then by age 60, he's mailing bags of his own excrement to colleagues and showing up naked to their houses to use the bath.
So *this* is where all the gifted geniuses on the Café hang out!
[quote]
On 2011-09-12 10:44, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Critter's right- the smartest thing a smart kid can learn is to never tell anyone how smart they are.
[/quote]

No one really knows how smart I am... :P
[quote]
On 2011-09-13 02:31, MobilityBundle wrote:

Just one little example, which isn't even all that out there. But it shows an interesting point on a progression:

I was taking a class in fancy geometry. It was raining very hard that day, and the professor shows up a little late and soaking wet. He says, "Sorry I am late. Today, I was given a geometry problem by God. The problem was to find a path from my office to this classroom minimizing the line integral of the rain's vector field. I... [bowing his head, speaking solemnly] I... couldn't solve it."

I was never really sure if this was just his joking way of remarking how much it was raining, or something... else. I mean, sometimes when mathematicians or physicists refer to God in a technical context, they mean "the universe" or "nature" or something like that. (E.g., "God does not play dice...") In that context, his statement makes perfect sense. Geeky, to be sure, but nothing too crazy.

On the other hand, there was no smile, chuckle, or other social cue to help smooth the literal statement over. So for all I know, he really did think God personally gave him a geometry problem.
[/quote]
One of the most famous mathematicians of the last century or so, Paul Erdős, famously spoke of "The Book". This is "an imaginary book in which God had written down the best and most elegant proofs for mathematical theorems". Every hard-core mathematician I've ever met seems to know of this. My guess would be that your prof was making some sort of allusion to it.
http://www.highiqsociety.org/ has 12,631 members.
Looks like there are some smart people out there...
[quote]
On 2011-09-13 15:38, Kjellstrom wrote:
[/quote]

There are nearly 7 billion people on the planet. Seems to be that about 70 million people are smarter than 99% of us ;)

John
One of the guys who worked for me at the bank call center once tried to tell me a task was beneath him because his IQ was so high. I just said "Yeah, there sure are a lot of geniuses working at this call center."
[quote]
On 2011-09-13 15:38, Kjellstrom wrote:
[/quote]

Top 5% for a high IQ society? That's like one of those 6-feet-and-under basketball leagues.