(Close Window)
Topic: When you first started out, what were your first 5-10, "beginner" tricks that you purchased?
I've been searching everywhere on this forum for the right place to post this question. I hope this area is suitable. If not it can be put in its proper place, I guess.

My top first 10 bought tricks were:
Nickles to Dimes (a very magical effect for me),

T.T. with silk

A matchbox being placed on a penny only to penetrate into the matchbox with a dime now under the matchbox.

A really nice $30 Adam's magic set, with a plastic penetration frame, vase floating on a rope (Prayer Vase), (the vase was a ceramic material and not plastic either), Siberian chain escape, disappearing drawer box, a plastic multiplying coin tray, some trick with two film-like canisters and a dice, sponge rabbits, a couple of paddle effects, and egg and vase trick, a plastic screw-type bill tube, and a couple of other things I can't think of at the present moment. (I count this as one purchase.)

Hot Rod

Professor's Nightmare

Mental Photography Deck

Scotch and Soda

A plastic version of Solid Brass Phantom Block Mystery

Coin Con (actually was my very, very first trick I got from a trade from my younger brother.)
Well anyway maybe that's more than 10 but I counted the magic set as one. I just thought this might be a good thread to look back at our first magical purchases the tricks that got us where we are today, and tricks we perhaps still use to this day, (I know I still do a couple from that list). I'm curious as to what other members here started out as their first bought tricks. I can't wait to here from you all.

Ed, (Eddini)
:) :bluebikes: :handcuffs:
Disappearing Penny, Nickles to Dimes, Svengali Deck, all of Marshall's magic sets, cups and balls.
Nickels to Dimes
Svengali Deck
Color Vision
Spooky Spots
Color Changing Knives :goodluck:
Mental Photography
Scotch/Soda
Coin Squeeze
ID
Svengali Deck
Color Monte
Copper/Silver Coin
Die Through Mirror
Skinner's Ultimate Monte
Super Sight by Magicmakers

My favorites being Super Sight and Mental Photography at the time because they can be instantly repeated.

All the best,
DaveM
As a 12-year-old kid:[list][*]TT and Silk (stayed on good with a ball of tape on my thumb)
[*]Scotch and Soda (turning coin magic on its ear)
[*]Dime and Penny (take it again)
[*]Stripper Deck (I was going to make my mark with this)
[*]Svengali (nice way to drop all the same cards)
[*]Small 50's era magic set (second-hand, and missing the instructions and important parts)[/list]Seven years ago as an adult starting fresh...DOH!:[list][*]TT and Silk
[*]scotch and Soda
[*]Dime and Penny
[*]Stripper Deck
[*]Svengali[/list]
I had the Marshall Brodein set at first with all the usuals. I then got some magic sets with like three tricks from the dollar store when I used to go to Florida. Then I started buying single tricks. I still have all of them but they are in my drawer of old tricks that I don't use but I will never give them away because I know they were my starting ground for my favorite hobby and occupation today. Some of the tricks I can think of now are as follows:[list=1][*]Chinese Sticks
[*]Zig Zag Card
[*]Color Changing Rope
[*]Nickels to Dimes
[*]Some King Tut trick where you put him in a tomb but then the spectator couldn't
[*]All the Marshall trick decks
[*]The thing with two compartments where you have a cube and it disappears from the box and you move the thing side to side and you act like you're moving the cube from one compartment to the other
[*]All the MagicWorks tricks
[*]Buddha Money Mystery
[*]The Imp Bottle, what a classic
[*]Future Fungus
[*]Coin Con
[*]Multiplying Coin Tray
[*]Sponge Ball to Square
[*]Lollipop Trick
[*]Adams brand Lota Cup
[*]Trick where their coin is in nest of boxes
[*]Svengali deck
[*]Cheek to Cheek deck
[*]Floating Bill[/list]Sorry I listed so many, haha.

Sincerely,
TJ
I was very interested in sleight of hand from the beginning, but I did buy a few "beginner tricks" when I first started:[list][*]Invisible deck
[*]Stripper deck
[*]Sponge Ball to Square
[*]Svengali deck
[*]Ball and Vase
[*]Floating Match (a match floats over a card)[/list]And I still use a few of these things (I've even been toying with the Ball and Vase lately.)
The First 10 Tricks that I purchased were:[list][*]Svengali Deck
[*]Scotch and Soda
[*]Steel Tube and Ball
[*]Nickels to Dimes
[*]TT and Silk
[*]Pen Thru Dollar
[*]Stripper Deck
[*]Rising Card Deck
[*]Hopping Halves
[*]Floating Match[/list]It's funny how I was 11 when I bought this stuff, and now that I'm 19 I still use the coin stuff. I think it's interesting that we bought all this stuff and practiced the routine we were given and the more we advanced we start to make our own routines and effects. (If that makes any sense.) :lol:

-Bill
I got into Magic at the age of 10 (1961):[list=1][*]Cups and Balls (the plastic cups with pom-poms)
[*]A paddle (liked it so much I went back and bought several other paddles)
[*]Svengali Deck
[*]Mental Photography Deck
[*]Sucker Die Box (made better than most I see today)
[*]Stripper Deck
[*]Hocus-Pocus Magic Set (Christmas present)
[*]Wand Through Balloon
[*]Crazy Cube
[*]Color Changing Silk[/list]Also checked out every book on magic that I could find in the school and public libraries. Those days were truly magical and while writing this list, I can sense some of the feelings that I had in those days of my youthful past. Thanks for this thread.

Iven :patty:
Snappers
Cups and Balls
Color Vision
Ball and Vase
Svengali Deck
Magic Rattle Bars
Multiplying Balls
Double Impact, broke then lost this one and still looking for it...

:stuckinbag:
Thinking back, my first trip to a magic shop I got:

A TT and dye tube and a couple of silks
An Invisible Deck
[i]Royal Road to Card Magic[/i]
And "Color Deception Brass" chips - not sure why I bought this, as it was expensive and way too "proppy" but it looked so pretty when the pitchman did it. I guess I couldn't resist.
Svengali Deck, TT with Silk, some routines from sleightofhandmagic.com (Oil and Water, Ace Assembly, King's and 4's, pocket interchange, Mystery Card) Raven Two Card Monte with a gaffed card.
My first trick was Metamorphosis... just kidding.

The old rabbit in the hat paddle
A marked deck
Finger chopper
Drum tube...that really dates me!
Milk Pitcher
Invisible Deck
Sponge Balls

As you can see there was no theme. ;)
Wow! Invisible Decks?!?! Skinner Monte?!?!? What magic dealer was selling these tricks to five-year-olds?!!

For me it was the Silk to Egg from my local novelty shop.
Good question Nicholas, I think that I started with the Svengali Deck, a TT and Silk, the Rabbit in the Hat Paddle, and an Adam's Magic Set.

I was out of magic for sometime and when I got back into magic (in my twenties) Scotch and Soda, sponge balls, Super Sight, Disk Escape and lots of books and videos!
:goodluck:
I bought my first magic tricks from a vendor at a fair, I got Nickels to Dimes, Professor's Nightmare, Hyrum the Haunted Handkerchief, Penetrating Coin, and the Svengali Deck.
Wow! You brought me back a few years!

At 15, I visited the Flosso-Hornmann magic shop in NYC, and a little round man with half-glasses (as I remember), sold me my first magic trick, the cups & balls. That old dusty shop looked like a magic junkyard, and I spent more than an hour watching him and his assistant (his son, I think) demonstrate the most astounding things!

I still have those cups & balls, plus:

Vampire Block (the original)
Nickels to Dimes
Steel Ball & Tube
Coin in Nest of Boxes
Chinese Sticks
Multiplying Billiard Balls (wooden, from Germany)
Jack Miller's Hold-Out
An original Rice's Palmo Ball (dye tube)
An original set of Goshman sponge balls

That's what started me off, so many years ago. All of the above are stored in a special place that I look through from time to time.

Thanks all! You brought me back to "that place", a simpler time, when life wasn't so complicated... I think we all need to "go there" from time to time.

Good for the soul...

Thanks!
Doug
My dad showed me the first trick I can remember and it was the one that catapulted my interest. It is commonly referred to as Find the Hole. A coin penetrates a square of rubber that has been held in place by a rubber band around the mouth of a glass. Awesome trick and still one of my favorites. I always remember my dad's excitement in showing me how this worked.

Marshall Brodein's TV Magic Kit was probably my next magical exposure. My dad also started taking me to the M&M Magic Emporium in Forest Park, GA, where I spent untold amounts of his hard earned money. :o)
Cup and Balls
Scotch and Soda
Dime and Penny
Color Monte
Svengali deck
The first effect I bought was a U.F. Grant Rope and Bottle Suspension. I bought it when I was five years old, which was 41 years ago, and I still have it!!!

Other early effects I bought include Penny Block, Coin Fan, Wonder Clock (which is back on the market now after being off the market for a very long time), and Blinkety Blank (a card effect).

It's amazing that I can remember all of this stuff, particularly in light of the fact that I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning!

Regards, Larry D.
Actually, my older brother used to do magic at my birthday parties when I was really young, so I have some 20-year-old classics.

I used to use the crystal tube (self-tying silks)

Chinese Linking Rings (never very good at these as a child)

Some others I can't remember. One of MY first tricks was Zone Infinity, where a solid key goes through a spectator's borrowed quarter. Very neat.

I also used the Floating Match Trick and a stiff rope that turns into a silk. Oh yeah, and I bought all four JawDroppers tapes. I think that the Haunted Bill (self-folding dollar) is such a great effect!!
The most early effects when I start my teen years:

Svengali Deck
Stripper Deck
Mental Photography Deck
Cups and balls
Sponge balls
[list=1][*]Adams Coin Penetration
[*]Adams Die Cipher
[*]Needle Through Arm
[*]Dime and Penny
[*]TT
[*]Svengali Deck
[*]Arm Chopper
[*]Various videos[/list]Wow, that's a strange list!!
Here are mine:

Nickels to Dimes
Dime and Penny
Crazy Cube
Dice Bomb
Plastic Cups and Balls
And my very, very first Magic trick...Ball and Vase!
[list][*]Vanish a silk with TT
[*]I don't know the name in USA: a plastic box with two dice, and can guess the result before shaking them
[*]Svengali Deck
[*]Disappearing Pen
[*]Stripper Deck[/list]
Message: Posted by: pasteboardforbrains (Sep 28, 2003 03:32PM)
I've always been pretty much a sleight guy, but I did buy Floating Bill, Run-away Joker, ID, and Svengali relatively earlier.
[list=1][*]Dime Thru Rubber Sheet
[*]Sponge Rabbits
[*]Svengali Deck
[*]Mental Photo Deck
[*]Hot Rod
[*]Cups and Balls (never really got it down)
[*]Hopping Halves
[*]Sponge Balls
[*]TT
[*]Changing Color Silk[/list]And these are still some of the best tricks I own. The classics never lose their value.
I had always loved magic but never had the money to try it out. I would have to blame Vegas for catching me with opportunity to get started. I got Pen Through Bill and S&S while I was there. I played with S&S the entire plane flight home. My wife from that plane flight knew that she was going to be my practice partner forever.
My first ever magic prop was an appearing cane that a magician left in the auditorium after the show. I was told I could have the confetti and streamers and found the cane in one of the piles.

My first purchases were:
Svengali Deck
Deland's Automatic Deck
Coin Penetration Box
Double-headed Quarter
Flash paper
Sadly, it was a TT. Got it in a novelty store. I say sadly, because I don't think this should be sold there.

But, most kids see how funny it looks (they're usually very dark in color) and don't bother with it. So, when you use one, they don't suspect it because we shade it so well.
Wow what great stuff people, thanks, Ed, (Eddini). :) :bluebikes: :handcuffs:
I remember coveting the Marshall Brodien magic sets that several of my friends had. I would play with them for hours. When I was 12 (kind of old for this kind of stuff wasn't I?) I begged my mother for the "Deluxe" magic set from the Sears catalog. It was really cool! The cardboard box it came in was printed to look like an old wooden chest. I can't remember everything it had in it but here's a partial list:[list][*]5" set of Linking Rings
[*]Color Vision Cube
[*]Penetration Frame
[*]Marked Deck
[*]Drawer Box
[*]Genii Bottle (the kind with a rope that stays in)
[*]Little Brown Jug (lotta bowl)
[*]Siberian Chain Escape[/list]If you watch my video clip of me performing Metamorphosis you will see the Siberian Chain escape that came in that original magic set.

I wish I had kept the rest of the set, but I pretty much played it out. My mother likes to tell the story of how she almost bought me the cheaper set, but changed her mind at the last minute. She says she never saw anyone get so many hours out of a Christmas toy before or since.
I was immediately drawn to packet tricks. Princess, Aces to Kings, Switcheroo, that kind of stuff. I now have a wallet full of packet card tricks, but as I get better, the less I use them, preferring to stick with an ungaffed pack of bikes. The first thing I bought was a very cheap stripper deck. It blew me away! Now I look and laugh at that! I also got a TT early on and I could go anywhere with out making something small disappear! I was such a dork back then. And by "back then" I mean a year ago! Ugh.
:bikes:
A couple of other first time tricks I bought were...[list=1][*]A six dollar set of ungimmicked handcuffs for escapes (the cheap ones).[*]This trick with two tubes one fitting inside the other. You then line up the holes on each tube and thread a steel bar through the two tubes. You then hit the top of the tubes and the smaller tube (the inner most tube) falls free from the steel bar. (Brass Tube Release I think it's called but mine was made out of plastic, but works the same way).
[*]Tony Hassini's [i]Party Magic[/i] video.
[*]A cardtoon deck I got for Christmas.
[*]The "Coin Thru Bottle" trick, that I got for Christmas. Actually I got Cardtoon, Coin in Bottle, and Scotch and Soda all on the same christmas.[/list]Any other first purchase things that people have got here?

Ed, (Eddini). :) :bluebikes: :handcuffs:
[quote]
On 2003-09-30 00:22, Scott Ocheltree wrote:
I remember coveting the Marshall Brodien magic sets that several of my friends had. I would play with them for hours. When I was 12 (kind of old for this kind of stuff wasn't I?)
[/quote]
Wow Scott, I started off with the same guy at the same age. I had the magic set with the rice bowl.
Hi, I got introduced into magic when I was eight years old and was wandering around in a bookshop when I saw this counter set up by a magician and spent the money my mum gave me for books on a Svengali Deck...hee hee :)

My next few purchases were: Stripper Deck, Flap Monte and a small coin holder which has a false slot.

eric :)
The Cups and Balls (plastic)
Svengali Deck
Color Changing Silks
:cups:
I grew up 80 miles from the nearest magic store. So my new tricks were few. I think I first learned tricks from a Popular Mechanics book on magic. I had a Nest of Boxes for coins, Dimes to Nickels, and Multiplying Golf Balls when I was about 12 but I don't remember where I got them. I got a magic kit for Christmas one year. My first trick was a variation of slip force that I've never seen in print that my uncle taught me and still fools them. I remember getting in trouble for cutting a notch in the lining of a handkerchief so I could insert a match for one trick. Best I can do. Tom
My first things that I purchased were:
Stripper Deck and booklet
Sponge Balls
Stealth Pen
Royal Road to Card magic

All good choices, still use the sponge balls, stealth pen and the RRTCM is a good reference book, too.
My klutz book had a thumb tip and silk.

And this great piece for coin through it. (I wish my piece hadn't worn out.)

So that's two.
Plus...

Kamillion Koins
ID
Stripper Deck
Quarter Bite
A Twonie / Centavo and some centavos
Okito Box (Loonie size)
Sponge bunnies !!!
Mouth Coils

Lots of books and pamphlets of course.

Cheers - El Lamo
My parents bought me the Blackstone Magic Set back in around 1982. I was pretty young at the time. I don't remember what in particular drew me to ask for it. Some of my favorites from that:

* Rope and Vase
* Ball and Vase

Later, they bought me some really great little Fisher-Price magic tricks:

* Card Box
* Glass of Milk to Candy/Disappearing Water

A few magic sets, a few trips to the magic shop, and many orders from Abbott's Magic catalogue later, and it was all uphill from there.
As a kid I bought the usual cheapo magic sets with paddles, gaffed matchboxes etc., the sort of stuff it's fun to play with but hard to make impressive (for an 8 year old with a practice-allergy).

Starting out again recently and taking things a bit more seriously.

Svengali Deck
Invisible Deck
TT (still haven't found one I'm really confident with though!)

But while it's not a "trick" as such my best purchase so far has been Royal Road to Card Magic.
Hocus Pocus magic set
Draw Box
Cups and Balls(plastic)
After this I bought card tricks like Svengali deck,and knowing this priciple I was blown away by seeing Mental Photography.
The Bat
thumb tip
Andre
ajcombri@telkomsa.net
1)Coloring Book
2)Production/Mirror Box
3)12, 12" Silks
4)Thumb Tip
5)Sponge Balls
6)50' of Rope
7)Mark Wilsons Book Complete Course in Magic
8)Tarbell 1
Message: Posted by: Vanished Zauberer (Dec 14, 2003 11:09AM)
First off I got a

Svengali deck
TT and Silk
Coin through latex (find the hole?)
Linking Rings
Bitten Loony

that's about the very very first things I got. I've been learning/doing/perfecting card tricks for a long, long time...
First bought trick was a plastic nail through coin box from Burger King-I didn't buy anything for a long time after that. Let's see-skip ahead 10 years, when I got lost driving home and found a magic shop, and bought nickels to dimes, slush powder, and the Mark Wilson Book. The book lead to Scotch and Soda, Expanded Shell, and a quarter slide. Somewhere in those return trips I got another nickels to dimes (Where did that first ring ever go?) Stripper deck (still have and use b/c I just can't let those worn out cards go), and my color die box which I still keep in my backpack.

I also want to add that I'll bet most of us could do a great show with half of any one of the lists posted here.
Hahahaha....this post is great.

Ummm...svengalli, nickels to dimes, hyrum (glorpy), color vision, ball & vase, change bag, and the color changing rope!

Peace
Pete
Wow, cool thread.
well here it goes.........

"easy card tricks" red book.
a pack of taloon playing cards
then more taloon cards
then bikes off a mate from work.
then a Svengali deck.
then a deck with a hole in and some ribbon..(cool).
TT
then some more TTs (all mine get trash quickly)
indian thread reel
expert card technique
expert at the card table
royal road.

and it goes on and on and on.................
and I have only been it for 8 months...
help.
Invisible Deck
Insurance Policy
Three Card Monte
Sponge Balls
Multiplying spnge balls
Ball And Tube
Appearing Candle
Thumb Tip
Art of Card Manipulation videos
Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights
I started with a
-steel ball and tube
-cups and balls
-hot rod
-svengali deck
-magic coloring book

The hot rod is still one of my favorites.
TT
Hot Rod
Color Monte
Invisible Deck
Scotch & Soda
Cardtoon

...only use the color monte today

Cheers!
Wow thanks guys, and gals for keeping this topic alive. I also love see the variety of people's beginners tricks out of everyone here. YOU ALL ROCK ON!!!...lol. Ed, (Eddini).

How about any escape items as some of your first tricks? I got the Siberian Chain Escape, in that Magic Set I mentioned originally. Ed, (Eddini).
I, too, bought a really cheap siberian chain escape and a set of those handcuffs from Wal-Mart. You know the kind I mean! *wink wink* They're cheesey, but they helped me get truly bitten by the escape bug.
Deland's Marked and Stripper Deck
Plastic set of Cups & Balls
Popcorn Box (I thought it was a cheap version of Soft Soap)
Plastic Paddles (rabbits & circle to square version)
Snapper
BWind
10 packs of cards.. :)

And by now I have bought:

- 2 sponge balls
- 5 2-euro coins (they did only cost 10 euro!)
- a TT
- a whole lot of rubber bands from my mom's work
- a hindu thread reel (also from my mom ;) )
- matches
- even more packs of cards. and I made myself an invisible deck.

So far. But I'll concentrate on cards in the beginning :)
When I started out I was eight years old and I read magic books. I built my first magic show out of coffie cans and cardboard tubes...

The first magic shop I went to was Magic Inc. It was close to Oak Lawn where I grew up. But not that close.

The first real trick in my show was my Dads old Die box that I earned the right to use when I turned 13 and was doing birthday parties on a regular basis.

I still have and use that old die box.

The other store trick was an adams penatration frame. The other tricks were things like the misers dream and the cut and restore rope.

My cups and balls were just three plastic cups and I did not do loads in those days.

Not a funny show but a happy show...

Glenn Bishop
I cant remember the initial 10 but I do remember the first trick I bought at a magic shop was scotch and soda

I cant believe I was such a dork I carried that thing around all the time...come to think of it those were the days when I used to load up my pockets with cards. packet tricks, coin tricks, tt and hanky, rubber bands, etc...

my pockets were bulging...

heh now I just walk around with a single deck and some coins lol
Here are my first 10 or 11 that I ever bought myself.

plastic cups and balls
cut and restored silk in paper tube (actually TT)
salt vanish (actually clear pill bottle instead of TT)
finger chopper
Buddah papers
glass suspension (Adams)
smoke from fingertips (Adams)
clippo
Cat's Eye (marble escapes from plastic box)
Rice Bowls
Delilah the Disillusioned Duck

Nicholas
My very first magic purchase was a used book at a bookstore! I was 12, it cost a big $1.50 (no sales tax in those days!), and it was Bruce Elliott’s “Classic Secrets of Magic”.

From it, I made an Egg Bag (I actually sewed it myself with my dear Sainted Mother’s guidance) and prepared (blew) a dozen eggs. From it I gimmicked a spool of thread (provided by that same sweet and supportive mother), and bought a couple of packets of razor blades for the Razor Blade trick (yes my parents allowed this, my father dulled the blades for me with a file and when I did the trick for him it boggled his mind! He loved it! But times were different and people smoked, ate red meat, and used real butter on white bread!).

I also bought several Corn Cob pipes (less than a quarter each in those days and NO ONE thought anything of an 12-year-old kid buying four corncob pipes! Times were truly different!) and the necessary “stuff” for the Corn Cob Pipes trick.

My first store bought magic prop was a Die Box.

I toured with a carnival for an entire summer season (with my Uncle who ran a “flat show”) performing, for pay, with just those props. Razor Blades, Corncob Pipes, and Die Box was my inside act. Egg Bag and a Broom Suspension (belonged to the 10-in1 operator) was my “outside” act to gather the tip. I had spent the summer before with my uncle and the operator borrowed me to fill a spot when an alcoholic magician took a hike. I used the props left by that magician and the operator drilled the act into my head. Today it would be considered child abuse and the courts would have taken me away, put my parents and uncle into jail for subjecting me to such an environment, and closed down the Ten-in-One! But it was then, and I got hooked on magic performing instead! Yea!

My second store bought magic trick was Moore’s “Linking Ropes”. Over the next few years I bought miles of thick magicians rope (½ inch, remember when you could get thick magicians rope?) and added “Cut and Restored Rope”, “Rope Through Body” (from an Grant booklet “Nite Club Routines” a Christmas gift from my parents). All added to my feeble repertory.

Don Boles, another carnival magician, and I crossed paths when I was in my late teens (16 I think). He gave me some Rice booklets (The “Keith Clark” acts, “Thru the Die Tube”, “Capers with Colors”, and others, I still have them) and had me buy some scarves to add color to the act.

Don also spent some time to teach me a straightforward Cups and Balls routine (and gave me a set of spun aluminum cups – I still have them) and the Professor Cheer’s Rope routine (had me make the necessary props). He also gave me and old U. F. Grant set of “Chink Cans” they were well used but still serviceable. They were central to his act and he carried several sets.

But most importantly Don gave me some very sharp critique and some excellent performing advice. He showed me how to sell my act to churches and schools so that I could double my money when the carnival hit a town. He was an open, giving, funny and fun man on top of being a very good magician. And could steal a tip away from me in an instant (and did!)!

So what did I buy during my first five or six years in magic? I bought a book, a Die Box, some magician’s rope, and a set of Linking Ropes.

I added a homemade egg bag, a homemade Professor Cheers prop, some corncob pipes, 11 silver dollar coins for a Misers Dream (out of the book!), and some silk scarves (from a five and dime not a magic store).

I was given a set of Cups and Balls, a set of Chink Cans, several great booklets and pamphlets, and some great advice.

I think that I had spent maybe $25.00 to get started and maybe another $50.00 for consumable props over the next five years (but then that is late 50’s and early 60’s dollars!). And I got paid to perform magic!

I think that all of my magic then could be considered “beginners tricks” in terms of the degree of difficulty in learning the methodology of the trick. However, it is not the degree of difficulty in slight, technique, or methodology that makes a trick a beginners trick. It is the level of performance you take it to, i.e., what you do with that trick. Even an automatic, mechanical, box trick can turn into an entertaining miracle in the right hands. And an entertaining miracle is NOT a beginner’s trick!
My first set of props came from a childrens' magic kit called "Learn Magic". It came with a lot of neat stuff like the Professor's Nightmare, Cups & Balls (plastic), etc.

The one thing that I learned from that kit and I still use consistently is the standard English Cut & Restored Rope (That's what they called it!).

As regards my first "professional prop," it was Future Fungus, and Wonder (Milk) Glass. And then there was the Sweet Box. After that things happened too fast... Didn't know in which order the rest of them came in ;-)

As regards books, Harry Baron's Magic for Beginners was among the first prominent books. Followed by "Making Magic" (Edwin A. Dawes & Arthur Setterington) and Henry Hay's "Amateur Magician's Handbook".
My first tricks I can remember buying were

1-Svengali Deck
2-Nickles To Dimes
3-Penetration Frame
4-Dime and Penny
5-Invisable Thread
6-Dove Bag
7-Ink to Goldfish
8-Invisable Deck
9-Chinese Sticks (very very cheap)
10-Slush Powder

Those are about all I remember as being my first tricks, but they are definatly what got me started. Nickles to Dimes seems to be a favorite :)
I started out with cups and balls and a kit. You've got some good choices too though.
I started out when I was small. I got plastic cups and a pom pom ball. It died away and lost intrest. Later in grade school, I ordered a little container where someone would put a dollar in and it would change to water. I also had a case that made cards vanish.

For Christmas I got a magic set but I didn't do much with it.

Just recently I've really gotten interested again, and possibly want to make this a career.

I purchased:

NFW
Stealth Pen
Folding Coin
Raven
Brainwave Deck
Sponge Balls
Sponge Ball DVD
Royal Road to Card Magic
Expert Card Technique
Bobo's Coin Magic
Encyclopedia of Card Tricks
Stealth Pen
Sponge Ball
Michael Skinner's 3 card monte
Ultimonte
Airtight
Presto Printo
Svengali, Stripper, and Invisible Deck
Ricochet
No strings attached
Nickles to Dimes
Half Dollar into a small nest of boxes in my coat.
Linking Rings
Dime & Penny
Svengali Deck
Stripper Deck
The Royal Road to Card Magic
Expert at The Card Table
Half Dollar into a bottle of Coca Cola
Snake silk and reel that untied itself - it made so much noise it could only be used for stage magic. It broke before I could use it, but now with the new noiseledd ITR's it could be resurected, but it seems out of place and magic from the olden days (as my daughter would say).

That was in another life, 40 years ago. Today there is an entirely new magic world available.
Harry Murphy - that's an excellent story, much thanks for sharing it
The first item I bought was a Wil Dexter book which I've still got somewhere and sometimes refer to.
I was also given a small magic set which I still have but no longer use. I'll let my son use it if he shows an interest.
When I returned after a 20 year break I bought the Royal Road to Card Magic,sponge balls and coin unique

John
Gosh, I can't remember.
The first book I bought was Bobo's at Borders book store. Still haven't read the whole thing(lol).
I didn't have much money so I never really bought anything, I always just watched what ever came on TV and would do my darnest to try and figure it out.
My first tricks were Pringle Aces...Chinese Sticks...and a huge Prayer Vase,sold to me by a fine gentelman named Bill Johnson who passed away Saturday.
Great lists!

Some of my first purchases were:

Hot rod
Coil and ring
Invisible deck
Viz escape (Royal Magic)
Stripper deck
Professor's nightmare
Flash dice
Magnetic TT
Cardtoon deck
color monte
Fortunately, when I began my interest in magic I was posed an excellent question by the owner of a now defunct magic shop. Perhaps the owner’s philosophy was the reason the place is no more. You see, when I entered the first time, I was bug-eyed with all the wonders available and wanted to purchase a few of the items but he asked me - “what do you want to do? Do you just want a few tricks to fool your friends or do want to really learn magic?” When I answered that “I really want to learn magic“, he refused to sell me any of the tricks and instead sold me Bill Tarr’s “Now You See It, Now You Don’t” saying that once I learned what was contained and could show him such, he would then sell me the tricks I was interested in. That man changed my life. Unfortunately, it seems there aren't many like him around. I think we know why - bad business if one is depending on the quick sale.

The first 5 non-book magic purchases were the “Sponge Balls“, “Multiplying Sponge Balls”, “Color Monty”, “Hot Rod“ and a “Split O’ Nickel”.
Svengali Deck
Cheap Handcuffs
Cups & Balls
Deland's Automatic Deck
Nickles to Dimes
TT
Stealth Pen
Raven
Invisible Deck
Stripper Deck
De'lite
Complete card magic Vol 1-7(Which covers all my card tricks)
Stealth Pen
Dynamic Coins
Royal Road to Card Magic
3 Ring Circus
NFW
Whose afriad of invisible thread
Sponge Rabbits
Scotch and Soda
TT and silk
Cups and balls
Nickles to Dimes
My first tricks were from a little novelty/magic shop on the boardwalk in Ocean City NJ.

1. Color Vision Box
2. penetration frame
3. cups and balls
4. Svengali deck
5. snake can

one other that just came to bind was Adam's Ball in Vase. I loved that....amazing that no one else has mentioned it here!
I love how similar all of our lists are.

Here's mine:

1. Rope to silk
2. D'lites
3. Disappearing Deck
4. Penny to dime
5. Glorpy Enchanted Silk
Not sure I can remember that far back.....

Hmm, aside from magic sets (I was 4 when I started) I would have to say:

Mirror production box (cardboard)
Finger chopper (I guess I was a sick kid)
Chinese sticks
TT
stripper pack
Mark Wilson's Encyclpedia of Magic
TT and silk
Twisted Sister
"Tree" Card Monte
Sponge Balls
Nickels to dimes was my first trick, but right after that I started getting 20.30 dollar stuff, so They shouldn't really be listed here.
Magic shops back then were scarce here in the Philippines.

As far as I know, I bought books and made my own gimmicks.
My first products as an adult just starting out were:
scotch and soda
nickels to dimes
tt and silk
light flite
Svengali and stripper deck
My very first trick at the age of 13 was T.V. Magic cards, then all the ones mention above.

Maro
I got the whole "Amazing tricks with..." series on VHS along with Scotch and Soda and a Svengali deck. The following week I got Doc Eason's Bar Magic Vol.1 - this was way to advanced for me at that time..

-e-
Message: Posted by: The Person With A Username (May 14, 2006 06:44PM)
On my first few visits to a magic shop, I bought an invisible deck, sponge balls, and nickels to dimes. One day I was at Disneyland with my family, and was pleasantly surprised to find that there was a magic shop there. The demonstrator showed me the linking rings, and I was astounded as I saw the metal pass through metal. My mother bought a set for me, and once I read the secret I was dissapointed at the simplicity. Now, several years later, I use them to close my show. Many of the new tricks I buy are seldom used, and many of the "Begginers" tricks mentioned are my favorite effects.
Scotch and soda, thumb tip, dime and penny, pen thru anything, and hot rod.
Lets see...

Bite out quarter (Don't use anymore)
Pen-through dollar
Scotch and soda
Ciggerate through quarter (Don't use anymore)
Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic (Use almost everyday, even after 5 years of doing magic...)
TT
Sponge balls
Svengali Deck
Paddle coin
stripper deck
Royal Road to Card Magic
I used to go to Morrisey's in Toronto, before I was actually practicing magic, and ask for some cool self-working tricks. Herb Morrissey always sold me something with a m****t that made me happy.

Then I asked for a marked deck and he sold me the Deland.

When I actually started practicing I bought

Invisible Deck
Vanished And Gone
Stars and Hexes (laughed loud and long when I saw my first TT)

Regards
Not counting my early magic sets (Blackstone)...
1. Scotch and soda
2. Svengali
3. Mental photograpy
4. Invisible deck
5. cups and balls
My first magic set was Gilbert's Magic Set Number 2 (circa 1949), which probably would be worth a lot of money had I kept it intact. My recollection is that it had some good tricks but also some that were too difficult for a first grader to appreciate:

(1) Handkerchief pull
(2) Billiard balls (about 3/4 inch, wood with metal shell)
(3) Rice Bowls with plastic bowls and clear plastic gimmick
(4) An optical illusion using red and green cardboard arcs of identical size. (When the green one was displayed above the red one it looked smaller, and when the red one was displayed above the green one, it looked smaller.
(5) Three flesh colored handkerchief balls for which there were no directions. (One had two holes evidentally for the died silks; another had a gut loop for concealing it behind the hand; the third had a single hole as I recall.)
(6) A cardboard flat slide into which another cardboard piece could be placed for a sort of poor man's Sawing the Woman in Half
(7) Several silk handkerchiefs
(8) Several puzzles made of chrome covered wire pieces that could be linked together if one knew the method
(9) A length of rope to use for several tricks in a small 6.5" x 5" pamphlet called Gilberts Knots and Splices
(10)A set of eight 6-inch Linking Rings
(11) Some fake cards that had multiple card images printed on a single card--I don't remember the trick for which these were used.

I still have the pamphlet, Gilbert Knots and Splices, published first in 1920 by Alfred C. Gilbert. It shows dozens of useful, standard knots that are not related much to the art of magic. It also teaches a lot of knots used in magicians' performances, including the Davenport knot used by the brothers Davenport in their demonstration where they are tied up in a spirit box but are able to play musical instruments from inside the closed box. There are a number of hand ties and chair ties from which a magician can escape. The Keller and Excelsior rope ties are explained. The Ten Ichi Thumb Tie is also shown with good illustrations. Finally, Chevalier's Phantom Rope Escape is explained.

Again, the set had a lot of stuff that was useless to me at the time, and it included a lot of items for which there were no directions. I got the impression that there had been a pretty good Gilbert Magic Set Number 1 and that for the follow-up version, the creaters simply cleared out all the stuff left over from their warehouse and called it Gilbert Magic Set Number 2.
I have been in this business now for 24 years and you guys are describing my act to a tee. and this is suppose to be beginners magic.... wow... Maybe I should up- date my routine.
I can't remember the first trick I bought.
I was taught by an old magician.
First tricks were...
appearing handkerchief
Handkerchief pull
Dictionary word test
Vanishing and Appearing eggs(Blew my own)
An egg bag that my mother made for me
Ropes through body
Cut and restored rope
Professor's Nightmare
A Die Box(gift)
Linking Rings (gift)
Arm Chopper (gift)
Instant rope escape

With these bits and a few more, I paid for a college degree.
Most of my book lurning on magic came from the library.

I doubt that many would believe it, but a pretty good living could be made using nothing but Bill Severn's work.

Peace,
Parson
The first things I purchased was:

Royal Road to Card Magic book
2 Decks of bicycle cards
Set of sponge balls

When I learnt some basics I got rice bowls, linking rings and an egg bag
Long time ago now!
Color monte!!
[quote]On 2006-06-03 17:45, MagicB1S wrote:
I have been in this business now for 24 years and you guys are describing my act to a tee. and this is suppose to be beginners magic.... wow... Maybe I should up- date my routine.[/quote]
No, you don't need to update your routine . . . people just need to stop underestimating beginner's magic. When it comes down to it, magic is magic is magic, to an audience. As an entertainer, we entertain using magic of whatever complexity (since the audience ought not know the complexity of the method). Anything more complex is for self-satisfaction. (Not to say that I don't, in my more masochistic moments, work coin tricks with an extra coin palmed or clipped, just for the challenge of it. But then, that's me . . . )

Okay, now to my beginners' tricks:

Nickels to dimes (still a dandy! I'm going to buy a couple more one of these days.)
Big Schtick (a paddle)
the Klutz magic book (had a rope, ring, tt, silk)
cards (I've always worked cards)
coins (likewise . . . )

Other than that, books. I've never used many packaged effects.
The first trick I saw was a silk vanish using a TT

I made a visit to a magic shop and purchased:
Royal Road
Cig Thru Card
Rainbow Suprise.
Message: Posted by: Midwest_Magicians (Jun 17, 2006 12:56AM)
1. Chop Cup (pocket)
2. Rising Cards
3. Svengali
4. Stripper
5. Invisible Deck
6. Scotch & Soda
7. TT with silk
8. Really Rabbits
9. Lite Flite (killer)
10. Cartoon
First thing was my dad purchased Bobo's Book and since then it has progressed to aggravating friends with always losing money....hahaha..That and no one will let me play poker. It's not my fault they keep dealing Royal Flush's to me...hehe
My first exposure to magic was through the TV Show: Mr Wizard. mostly sciency type tricks, that you could do with things around your kitchen, I remember learning the trick where you pick up an ice cube out of a glass of water using a piece of thread.

I also had the Fisher Price magic set, which had some cool things like a flower wand, and a vanishing box.

Then I had a couple little booklets, like the type you could get from the Scholastic book club, like 101 E-Z magic tricks. The tricks were pretty simple. Most of them were only described with a small paragraph.
Vanishing Hankie (TT & Silk)
Cigarette pull (Started in my 20's!)
Scotch and Soda
Royal Road
Svengali deck
Invisible deck
[quote]
On 2006-06-03 17:45, MagicB1S wrote:
I have been in this business now for 24 years and you guys are describing my act to a tee. and this is suppose to be beginners magic.... wow... Maybe I should up- date my routine.

[/quote]

hahaha!
too funny!
If this has been your act for 24 years you must be doing SOMETHING right!

G
Nickles to Dimes.
Dime & Penny.
Coin in Nest of Boxes.
Steel Ball & Tube.
TT & Silk.
Crazy Cube.
Hot Rod.
Svengali Deck.
Color Monte.
Glorpy.

Wax and Flash Paper too.
When I was 10 ( I am 36 now ) my family went to Disneyland in California. I got my first magic set there which included:
A marked stripper deck
Chinese Wands
Chinese Linking Rings
Pencil through the card frame
Dime through the rubber sheet
and various other items I can't seem to recall right now.

Beyond that:
Svengali deck
Nickles to Dimes
Sponge Balls
Hot Rod
Ball Tube
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Magic
Bill Tarr's Now You See it...
Amature Magicians Handbook

All of which I still had and used till about a little over a year ago when flooding from Katrina ruined all of my close-up stuff.

Kevin
The first things I bought in a magic store were:

The key where you could take off a part and link rings to it.
The Tenyo Trick where a little sword penetrates a ring. (great concept!)
Invisible Deck (I never used it though, till I got serious about magic)
A rope trick where you could make knots in the shape of a square or a circle, and then pull these off the rope.

All of them I still have. The Tenyo Trick, I modified a little bit, and still use it sometimes to fool magicians!! Really!!
Hi, My first tricks were,

1. Svengali Deck
2. Stripper deck
3. invisble thread & putty
4. universal pull
5. set of sponge balls
6. 1.5 inch billard balls
7. lighted cigerette pull
8. devils hankerchief
9. Small mirrored production box
10. Thumb tip And silk

The sponge balls must be my favorite though.

Gardini
1. Hummer's Whirling Card
2. Scotch & Soda
3. Greed
4. Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
5. Card College Vol.1
6. Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms
7. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic

+ a few decks of cards and some half dollars
That is all I have now. I believe these will keep me busy for quite a while.
The first trick I remember buying as a kid was the Haunted Hank. I really thought it was a cool trick and then that night my dad pulled off the same effect at the dinner table with his napkin... I was stunned... :)

Kyle
Magic Coin Box.

Still gets a great reaction.
It seems most people begin with relatively the same tricks, myself included
Svengali Deck
Invisible Deck
Nickels to Dimes
Stripper Deck
Sponge Balls
Chinese Sticks
D'Lites
Puncture
The Yot

Still all keep me going, along with some others I have picked up along the way
Jolly
I got a magic kit when I was somewhere between 8 and 10. It had a set of red, yellow, and blue plastic cups and balls, a TT, ropes for the professor's nightmare, some orange and white checkered bags for a version of nest of boxes only with bags and some other stuff I can't remember.

Most of my early tricks were cheap EZ Magic brand stuff that I can't remember. What I can remember is linking rings, spiked coin, finger chopper, hot rods, rice bowls, egg bags and sponge ball. I bought the sponge balls on vacation in Gatlinburg. I remember pushing on the balls thought a window in the box they came in thing they would disappear or something magical would happen.

The two things I have left from when I was a kid are Scotch and Soda and the Flexible Mirror (I saw Doug Henning do the flexible mirror so I spent every dime I had on it.)
Fisher Price Magic set, can now be found various places!!! I just received mine, as it was my first as well!!
1) TT and silk
2) Scotch and Soda
3) Royal Road
4) Sponge Balls
5) Tarbell Vol 1
My first set was an Adams Advanced Magic Set, which was of extremely high quality relative to today's standards. Included:
1)Svengali deck
2)Appearing card frame
3)Hindu Rope Suspension??(with real glass vase and thick, stiff rope)
4)Card Locator (index for stacked deck)
5)Siberion Chain Escape (Good thick links with seamless rings)
6)Chinese Rice Bowls
7)Zip Zip Balls (version of grandmothers necklace type effect)
8)Rubber sheet coin penetration (with real glass shotglass provided)
9)Crazy Cube??? (early mental effect w/dice like die-cipher)
10) Pencil thru buttonhole (Can't remove without secret)
11)Multiplying sponge rabbits
12)Chinese linking rings
13)Gravity defying wand (sand filled)
Clear instruction booklet with several other effects.
I have never seen a set of such quality props and solid effects since!
Well this thread ought never to die, in my opinion.!
With that in mind, here's mine. I haven't bought ten tricks as such but more than ten magic buys already, for sure. I have so many card decks after seeing a local classified selling bicycle blues for 1 pound! I bought them all...120 of them! Anyway, here's the list..
The Royal Road to Card Magic, Pack of goshman sponge balls, cards(!!!), Coin shell,cups and balls set,thumb tips, more cards!
Now looking at getting
Silks,
Rope
Set of coins and expanded shell

There's always something else to try and I want to try as many as possible before I settle on what suits me.
1. Ring & Chain
2. Flash Paper
3. Appearing Wand
4. Cups and Balls
5. Pull for Pen Vanish
6. Bite out Coin
7. Buddha Money Mystery
8. The Imp Bottle
9. Sponge Ball to Square
10. Svengali deck
Coin in bottle
Multiplying bottles
Ultra Mental deck
Hopping Half
TT
Brings back memories. Fun reading this thread,
1. Cups and balls with one being a chop cup
2. TT and silk.
3. Scotch and soda
4. Svengali.
5. Invisible deck
6. Not really magic I suppose, 3 shell game.
7. Hopping half

I carry the TT and silk everywhere.
I learnt card magic from my grandfather so never really “bought” my first beginner tricks - they were all simple stuff with a regular deck of cards. I guess I bought 100 plain decks of cards before I ever bought a shop magic trick! That would have been my first gaff deck (before that I made all my own gimmicks). I still remember my first beginner go-to tricks though. Grandad never taught me the history so I don’t know how to credit them sorry!
1. Classic force and reveal
2. Reversing a spec’s chosen card in the deck by flipping the bottom card and flipping the deck before they return it - I still use this and still don’t know what it’s called!
3. A one-phase ambitious card routine :) (Marlo tilt and shuffle top card to bottom)
4. A simple “triumph” kind of effect where you look like you’re putting some cards face up and some face down but the cards are not really mixed - that one still fools people too!
5. 21 cards
1. Loop pencil trick (not sure if this is the correct name....it’s a loop attached to the pencil that you inert in the button hole of your shirt). More of a puzzle than a trick.
2. Nickels to dimes.
3. Penny to dime
4. Scares magic book
5. TV Magic cards from Marshall Brodien.
Fun times when I was a child trying to impress my siblings. There was 6 of us :)
[quote]On Feb 10, 2019, Greg Kiefer wrote:
1. Loop pencil trick (not sure if this is the correct name....it’s a loop attached to the pencil that you inert in the button hole of your shirt). More of a puzzle than a trick.
2. Nickels to dimes.
3. Penny to dime
4. Scarnes magic book
5. TV Magic cards from Marshall Brodien.
Fun times when I was a child trying to impress my siblings. There was 6 of us :) [/quote]
Obedient Ball
Svengali Deck
Imp Bottle
Thumbtip
Pen Thru Dollar
Stripper Deck
Floating Match
Marked Deck
Interesting that nobody here knew/knows about the book I wrote for rank beginners - THE MAGIC BOOK. I hope that current newbies know to read the good stuff!!