(Close Window)
Topic: The "best" self-working trick
While I often perform sleights and the likes, I've always had a like for self-working tricks, stemmimg back to my first days in magic, when I would use self-workers to stun my friends. What would you say is the best self-working trick out there? My vote would have to go to Ultimate Coincedence by Karl Fulves.
I've always liked the rising card.
Probably all of Bob Hummers, because you can't reverse engineer any of them :)

--Euan
I like:

Do as I Do. (with 2 decks you each pick same card)
Triple Coincidence.
Do as I do (Oz's from penguin involving 2 reversed cards)

I also really love to do this one I have changed a bunch to suit my own style and handling, but it is basically a self working trick where first you find their card by using math, then you find their card by using a little bit of mentalism, then you change the back of their card. Entirely self working.

These tricks are great when you are doing tricks for the "party magician" who knows things like the 21 card trick or the one where you do a single glide and that is the trick.

People like that will usually spot double lifts and the like, and will think they understand your harder tricks(even if they don't) but simple self workers like these ALWAYS fry them because they know its impossible.
Hard to beat Daryl's "Untouched."
my votes go for:

-Harry Lorayne's Poker Deal
-Untouched by Daryl
-Emotional Reaction by Dai Vernon
-Play it Straight Triumph by John Bannon
-Neither Blind or Stupid
-Out of This universe by Harry Lorayne
-Do as I do
-MiraSkill
-etc....

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
[quote]
On 2003-09-01 14:30, MacGyver wrote:
I like:

Do as I do (Oz's from penguin involving 2 reversed cards)
[/quote]
That's actually A Francis Carlyle effect called "The Upside Down Deck" from Scarne on Card Tricks (page 9).

--Euan
Figures, knowing his and pengiuns track record but I had to put it under some name =)
I personally can't stand Do as I Do. The only self working trick I've ever performed was Daryl's untouched.
You, know, I don't think there is a true self working card trick. You have to do something. That something is the difference between a professional and teh uncle that bores everyone at parties.

But, Dan Harlan's self working card trick ( about $10.00 ) comes close. Once set up, the performer can leave the country because the spectator does the handling.

Chris
Juan Tamariz's Blown Away.
Daryl's Untouched, as well as Aaron Fisher's version of Untouched.
Aldo Colombini's Predeckability
Harry Lorayne's Out of This Universe
Gemini Twins from Karl Fulves "More Self-Working Card Tricks".
Totalpackage65, if you haven't read "Scarne On Cards," I recommend you buy it. Throughout the whole book all he teaches is self-working card tricks.
[quote]
On 2003-09-01 19:28, Gregory57 wrote:
Daryl's Untouched, as well as Aaron Fisher's version of Untouched.
[/quote]
Where can I learn Aaron Fisher's version?
[quote]
On 2003-09-02 00:21, Dynamike wrote:
Totalpackage65, if you haven't read "Scarne On Cards," I recommend you buy it. Throughout the whole book all he teaches is self-working card tricks.
[/quote]
It is "Scarne On Card Tricks".

Hideo Kato
[quote]
On 2003-09-01 14:38, Geoff Williams wrote:
Hard to beat Daryl's "Untouched."
[/quote]
What's the effect of "Untouched" and a reference (i.e., book, video) for learning it?
:thanx:

DaveS
I would vote for 'Overkill'
it's in Paul Harris AoA 2.

Markus
Zig Zag Card. Very Very clever gimmick.
"Stop" and "Lazy Man's Card Trick" from Harry Lorayne's "Close Up Card Magic" are very good and basically self-working.
I agree with cgscpa
Without a doubt-
Gemini twins - until recently I had no idea it was in print or what it was called having been shown it by someone - the first card trick I ever learnt. by chance I recently saw it as the first trick in Fulves self-working card tricks.

A trick you learn and can use for the rest of your life with a borrowed shuffled deck.
And incidentally a favourite of Jerry Sadowitz - at least I've seen him perform it twice and amaze people. Jerry may be one of the sleight-of-hand greats but he knows a great and classic self-working effect when he sees one!!

cheers

david 43
I always still love copper and silver
Isn't Gemini Twins the Brother John Hammon effect, using the Gemini Count? Or am I mistaken?
The Gemini Twins version from the Fulves book
More Self-working Card Tricks II.
You can look at amazon.com.
Use the 'look inside' feature and you can read a few pages from the book.

markus
"Stop" by Anneman. I found it in Karl Fulves' Self-Working Card Tricks book about a year or so back and I'm still performing it.
Check out Bob Long's "The world's best card tricks"
Poker Control--out of this world.
Some of the best card tricks that requires no skill at all.
Richard Lyn "Tricky Ricky"
[quote]
On 2003-09-03 00:18, orko60 wrote:
isn't Gemini Twins the Brother John Hammon effect, using the Gemini Count? Or am I mistaken?
[/quote]
They are two different effects. Gemini Twins is selfworking and requires no moves. The Brother John effect (I can't remember the name) uses the Gemini Count and takes some practice to learn.

Courtney
ewokforhire,
Fisher's version of Untouched can be found on his lecture video. I'll have to look at my tape, since I don't remember what it is called, but I believe this is the lecture he performed in the UK. It's probably available through Mr. Fisher's website or through a dealer in the UK. I'll send you a PM with his site and/or the name of the dealer. The name of his effect also escapes me right now, but I'll include this in the PM.
Cliff
I believe the Brother John effect is just called "The Twins" although confusingly because it uses the gemini count several times it is often referred to as "Gemini Twins" as well as the effect in the Fulves book

David
I consider it self working, but Galaxy, the Paul Harris version of Out of This World, is amazing and easy to do. There are no sleights, just some handling and the spectator can shuffle the deck. It's in AOA.

Mike
When considering SW card effects, one need look no further than the work of Phil Goldstein or Simon Aronson. Well, one can always look further...but what a great place to start.
[b]Nonononononono check out[/b] Michael Ammar's [b]Easy to Master Card Miracles Volume 4 I believe.[/b] [b]Check out J.C'S Super Closer[/b]. I saw him perform it in a lecture and he sat down in the audience and had someone else perform the trick for him. It's confusing at first...but wow.
'A Potent Presage' by Jack Carpenter. 'Nuff said.
Ed
I would have to say that astral projection by JAY SANKEY is one of the best ever self working tricks. It is so impossible to the spectator but you only have to show the cards.
My favorite self-working trick is where the spectators handles the cards at all times during the trick. I don't remember the name of it but the magician picks the card. I've gotten great results from it and they'll never figure it out, EVER.
[quote]
On 2003-09-08 08:39, Leon of PrimRose wrote:
My favorite self-working trick is where the spectators handles the cards at all times during the trick. I don't remember the name of it but the magician picks the card. I've gotten great results from it and they'll never figure it out, EVER.
[/quote]
This doesn't sound like magic to me.
It sounds like a puzzle to be solved or a trick or something that might get the compliment... "that's clever".
[b]Marlo's Miracle Routine[/b] ([i]Marlo in Spades[/i], Marlo, p. 13). It's practically self-working and is a real killer.
Cheek to Cheek is a favorite sleight-free trick of mine.
RoatC
Marlo's Miracle Routine requires 2 faro shuffles among other things. Would you call that self working?
Marlo's Marlocato from "..in Spades."
Performing this is such fun. When showing my magi buddies how it worked, they wet themselves with laughter. It has that beautiful "right under your nose" feeling.

Mental poker by F.Garcia is another fun one.
Richhead, please excuse my forgetfulness. Marlo's Miracle Routine also has bottom deals and such. The only moves I could think of, however, were the two Faros. This is probably because I usually omit the Bridge and Rummy hands, as few people for which I perform know the concepts of these games.
I think Overkill and JC Super Closer are the best self working tricks
I know that it is simple, but I do like Gemini Twins.
Peace,
Parson
I have to agree with Parson, Gemni Twins is "The Best" self working card trick.
My favorite "self-working" trick is John Bannon's Timely departure
(from his beatiful book Smoke & Mirrors).
Message: Posted by: Alejandro Peterson (Oct 14, 2005 11:31AM)
Ultimate Fate by Gustaferro is in my opinion the strongest self working effect, in fact one of the strongest effects with a regular deck of cards
MacGyver wrote:

-- I also really love to do this one I have changed a bunch to suit my own style
-- and handling, but it is basically a self working trick where first you find
-- their card by using math, then you find their card by using a little bit of
-- mentalism, then you change the back of their card. Entirely self working.

Hi MacGyver!

I wonder if you're referring to the "Maths-Mind-Magic" routine that I posted on Magic Dan's site (http://members.aol.com/MagicDan/docs/trick_index.html) which I originally found in a 'Magic' article by Jim Sisti? If so, I'd be interested in how you've modified it for your use. By all means PM me on this.

For my own part, I still love the trick - great layman impact - but I tend not to use it for strolling (it's too long), just for 'parlour' magic. Also, I've found that when I've shown magicians, the bit where you clearly and fairly mix the cards just before the 'mind-reading' revelation, really throws them! Great stuff.
Emotional Reaction by Dai Vernon.
Poker Players Picnic from Royal Road to Card Magic. Once you set it up, you don't touch the cards.

On a funny note, I had a friend begged me to show him how the trick was done. I didn't, but he managed to reversed engineered the trick in a dream. He says he woke up screaming with joy.

Miguel Rangel
Bob Solari's "premonition" is a nice self working card trick. A jaw dropper ending.
Probably Untouched by Daryl...
The Eye of Stonehence - Lennart Green is killer
great stuff......
I always get great reaction for this
Another vote for "potent Presage", by jack carpenter
- Overkill P Harris
- Untouched Daryl
- Gemini Twins 5have a look at Hank Lee version Quintuplicate coincidence, which makes it even stronger)
- The Power of Poker J Bannon
... are my favorites self working tricks !

:bikes: :bluebikes: :bikes:
Another shout out for Gemini Twins.
Look at Ackerman and Aronson and Gastufaro for some other version.
What a stonker - there was a marketed version called The Kick which used a blank deck and just 4 face cards - Harry Baron
I have a non self working version that which is just superb - even if I do say so my self - lol
I agree with the special-deck take on Gemini Twins, variously called Quintiplicate coincidence/Stolen Cards/Rainbow deck.
Many of the SW tricks I perform are listed here. However I am starting to become partial to Dead Reckoning (in Dear Mr Fantasy by John Bannon). Here is a brief description:

"Dead Reckoning" is one of the sections worth the price of the book. The routines in this section artfully blend multiple principles one on top of the other yet somehow -- and having spent hours reading this section, I still can't say for sure how exactly some of them work -- the routines are all as straightforward as you could get. "Dead Reckoning", the first trick in this section, explains all the principles and the workings in a simple but completely impossible card location. In effect, the spectator picks a card from a cut-off packet, shuffles the packet, put the deck back together, the deck is cut, and the card's value mentally spelled out by the spectator as the performer deals. Naturally, on the last letter the spectator spells silently, the performer stops dealing, and that last card is the selected card.

(from http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0510mrfantasy.html). Now, this is not a "key card" trick (see http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ftopic6361.php for a more in-depth description of the trick). The most brilliant part of the trick, for me, is that the trick resets itself and you are ready to do it again as soon as you finish.

One note, I have been playing with different methods of "counting" as I have run across some issues with people not spelling correctly and, obviously, not knowing that they are not spelling correctly. Ideas include them writing the card and crossing off letters each time you deal a card (less chance for random mistakes but a little icky), asking for the card and spelling it out (lose some of the effect but no chance of misspelling), and so forth.

Props also need to go out for Dunninger's Delight by Kenton Knepper. VERY SIMPLE yet, properly performed, a real mindblower!

Personally, it all depends on what one means by self-working. Is a single double-undercut or cull mean it is not self-working? What about a cross-cut force? Degrees of Freedom, also from Dear Mr Fantasy, might need to be included in some way as well. I think somebody mentioned Galaxy by Paul Harris (self-working and no prep needed when a new deck is taken straight out of the box), then there is Shuffling Lesson, a great trick also available in the AOA series.

Against All Odds, from Darwin Ortiz (Cardshark, I believe, but I may be wrong) is another self-working trick that can be done immediately upon opening a deck (instead of an envelope, have the spectator choose any card they want, the rest should be easy to follow).

These are just a few that come to my mind. Good luck everybody!

Carlos
[quote]
On 2003-09-30 15:21, Frank Starsini wrote:
[quote]
On 2003-09-08 08:39, Leon of PrimRose wrote:
My favorite self-working trick is where the spestators handles the cards at all times during the trick. I don't remember the name of it but the magician picks the card. I've gotten great results from it and they'll never figure it out, EVER.
[/quote]

This doesn't sound like magic to me.
It sounds like a puzzle to be solved or a trick or something that might get the compliment... "that's clever".

Sounds like this might be UNTOUCHED by Daryl.
Which is a very strong very easy hands off effect.

[/quote]
I realy like the rising card.
You don t even touch the deck and it does it all by itself
Impossible. Larry Jennings.

Sal Piacente's packet trick.

And there is a real gem in Derek Dingle's Complete Works... I'll let you find it.
Shuffle Cut Deal (Sankey)
Impromptu Out of this World (Lorayne or Ammar)
Lazy Man's Card Trick (in Lorayne's Close Up Card Magic)

The Royal Road to Card Magic has some great self-working gems in there. Mountebank Miracle, Gray's Spelling Trick, and several others are really delightful little stunners.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Oct 23, 2005 04:07PM)
Personally, I don't think Gemini Twins is a self working trick. I know no one has said it, but ambitious card isn't a self working trick, as it involves sleights, such as the DL, and Gemini Twins involves a DL, Flustration count, Gemini count. sleights mean it isn't self working IMO, I could be wrong, but I've just asked a friend magician, and he agreed. A layman, can do the 21 card trick, as it is self working, but he wouldnt be able to do Gemini Twins or something.

IMO, Blind luck by Dan Paulus is the Best slef working trick EVER created
Christopher - there are two different card tricks: [i] Gemini Twins [/i] which is published in Karl Fulve's book of self working card tricks (the first trick in Volume 2, I think) and is a true self working trick. The other is Bro. John Hamman's [i] Twins [/i] that uses the sleights you mention including the Gemini Count which is why the two are often confused with each other.

I agree with you that [i] Blind Luck [/i] is a great effect.

I also like [i] Timely Departure [/i] by John Bannon.
Overkill is good - I like Mark Wilson (from his book) Fantastic 4 - because it gets 4 aces into play from a "normal" looking deck (if you don't spread the last 5 cards) in an unusual way

Then I do ace routines

I liked this trick so much I put a Fantastic 4 gaff card in the CAJ DECK of Gaff Cards
Which Daryl DVD is Untouched on ?
I quick google search for daryl untouched came up with this letter from Daryl: http://www.ultimatemagic.com/qa/show.php?guest=Daryl&START=35

[i]A great trick would be "Untouched" from my F. I. S. M. Lecture Notes "Daryl Does Den Haag." These lecture notes sell for $7.00 (U.S.) and they're available from my web site http://www.FoolerDoolers.com[/i]
Dai Vernon's "Royal Marriages" and Simon Aronson's "Point Spread". Spectator does almost all the work.
Re: Blind Luck.If it wasnt for the awkward part where performer puts cards behind his back it would be better.
Although I showed it to another magician friend and he was fooled.....
[quote]
[i]A great trick would be "Untouched" from my F. I. S. M. Lecture Notes "Daryl Does Den Haag." These lecture notes sell for $7.00 (U.S.) and they're available from my web site http://www.FoolerDoolers.com
[/quote]

This can also be found in Magic for Dummies [/i]
'Untouched' is also published in at least two far earlier sources under different names. One by Al Leech and one in a Rufus Steele book.
Fulves Gemini Twins is a great self working trick. Scotty York has a version out using a deck with different backed casino cards which really add to the effect. I bought one at Denny & Lee's a couple of months ago and it's been killing.
Message: Posted by: Alejandro Peterson (Oct 27, 2005 11:55AM)
At this moment nobody second my opimion about Ultimate Fate and I think is one of the most beautifull pieces of card magic, so maybe no one have seen this effect because in my top list including no self working effects? Anybody there known this effect?
Harry H...

With Blind Luck if you want you do not have to put the deck behind your back at the end.

You can just spread the deck on the mat all the way to the last few cards, without exposing the "other card".

Not as clean an ending but believe me when they see the two cards matching this flys right by.
If you would consider Out Of This World, it is a mind blower albeit using one very minor slight, eh not actually a sleight....it does not take any gimmicked cards and the spectator deals the last half of the deck as he chooses. I allow them to make 'mistakes' pointing them out as we go thru the first half and do not correct them.........This blows minds...."How did he correct those mistakes, they were scattered throughout the row?

Good Luck
I just purchased Blind Luck. It certainly is a great effect when considering the effort/impact ratio. I consider this a very strong "self working" effect.

BTW - After watching the video a few times, I figured out the method but felt it worthwhile, and the right thing to do, to buy the DVD. There is a nice other effect, and some Zarro tips, on the DVD.

Mike
Here are the improvements I have made to Blind Luck:

1. I spread the cards before they select a card to prove a "normal deck of cards" without exposing the force card. I just use a tight spread and spread wider toward the end. Just reinforces that the deck is cool.

2. I display and spread the deck again at the end to reinforce the fairness that their card is the only one reserved. I just simply spread the deck on the mat all the way to the last few cards, without exposing the "other card".

3. I still put the deck behind my back at the end to do the clean up so you end absolutely clean.

I'm working on a force so the specs don't have to put it behind their back!
I am not sure if Paul Rosini's "Gamblers Outwitted" is regarded as "Self Working" but it can be very good for such a simple trick. I smoke, so there is always an ash tray about.
Hi guys,

I realy like "Stolen Cards by Lennart Green"

Michael
Check out "Pairs" in Jerry Mentzer's Card Cavalcade II. Great trick but, I'm prejudiced since I came up with it.
SImon Aronson's Shuffle-Bored.

Jack Shalom
I'm surprised how few people have said OOTW. That's my favourite. Then it's the Shuffling Lesson and the valentine's day card trick(soul mates). Until last week even I didn't know how it worked!
If you have a computer with a high speed cable connection, then try Scott Imler's Cyber Card. This is one of the best self-working trick IMO.
[quote]
On 2006-03-18 12:22, landmark wrote:
SImon Aronson's Shuffle-Bored.

Jack Shalom
[/quote]

Check out John Bannon's work on that principle in Dear Mr. Fantasy. Brilliant.
My vote goes to Stonehenge, by Lennart Green
Funny that Poker Player's Picnic in RRTCM is mentioned only once in this thread! It is possible to reverse engineer, but it seems that even clever mathematicians struggle. Also, it might be given a "mental touch" with certain spectators (the ones that belive in horoscopes and angels).

With good presentation, I think it can work nicely from a completely shuffled deck too; just remember the four top cards and predict them at the end.
It's interesting that someone pointed out Lennart Green's self working mechanisms from his 7th volume, and I would concur, agreeing that you could do his self working trick titled "rain man" and "4 aces squared", followed by a colour separation of him while everyone is still gawking at how you did what you did, then doing the "$26,000 bet".
A recent favourite table routine of mine.
Little Bunny's Card Trick
by Bill Goldman

(a variant of "Shuffle-Bored" by Simon Aronson)

This wonderfully charming version gets a HUGE reaction and there aren't any sleights at all.

Geoff
Any of the UnDo Influence effects in Simon Aronson's Try The Impossible book...killer effects. I also vote for untouched and overkill.
Untouched, IIRC, is also available on Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracle series -- volume 4. Lazy Man's Card Trick is also on the same DVD.

Interesting thing about Untouched is that I didn't think it was that strong. It was interesting, but I never thought much of it. Of course, when I've been performing it recently, it's getting knock-out reactions. After the performances, people have been asking me about that "trick where you think of a card and I find it."

And of course Bannon's 'Degrees of Freedom.' This seemed more like a stunt than a trick when I first read it -- but wow, people love it. (Even if I have to sometimes explain what a 'Royal Flush' is.) And I, like others, I suspect, just do the trick occasionally to see it work. It's fascinating.
Yes, Degrees of Freedom is really much stronger than it might read. I normally don't like any effects where you make a bunch of piles with the cards or put them in some kind of a matrix (a la the 21 card trick). But the "origami" or "folding" idea of Degrees of Freedom is really cool, and the ending effect is just brilliant.
I still like "The Fastest Trick in the World" with my own little spin on it, then I go straight into a single deck "Do as I Do".
They where made for each other.
Personally, I like both shuffle cut deal and ditto by Jay Sankey, as well as Unemotional Reaction by Jerry Sadowitz (I've yet to see the Vernon original version) and Derren Brown's extreme mental effort, which is so so so much bang for so little buck.
Giobbbi's Gambler's Dream
Thought I would try to summarize for everyone:

Karl Fulves -Ultimate Coincidence by
Karl Fulves -Gemini Twins from "More Self-Working Card Tricks". (variously called Quintiplicate coincidence/Stolen Cards/Rainbow deck
Karl Fulves' Stop" in Self-Working Card Tricks
Harry Lorayne's Poker Deal –
Harry Lorayne -Out of This universe
Harry Lorayne's Out of This Universe
Harry Lorayne's -"Stop" Close Up Card Magic"
Harry Lorayne's - Impromptu Out of this World (or Ammar)
Harry Lorayne's -Lazy Man's Card Trick (in Close Up Card Magic)
John Bannon's -Play it Straight Triumph
John Bannon's -Dead Reckoning (in Dear Mr Fantasy)
John Bannon's -Timely departure from his book Smoke & Mirrors
John Bannon's- 'Degrees of Freedom
Dai Vernon -Emotional Reaction
Dai Vernon -Emotional Reaction
Dai Vernon's "Royal Marriages"
Royal Road to Card Magic -Poker Players Picnic
Royal Road to Card Magic -Mountebank Miracle-
Royal Road to Card Magic -Gray's Spelling Trick -
Lennart Green -The Eye of Stonehence –
Lennart Green - Stolen Cards
Lennart Green -Stonehenge,
Jay Sankey -astral projection
Jay Sankey -Shuffle Cut Deal
Jay Sankey -shuffle cut deal
Jay Sankey - ditto
Do as I Do.
Do as I do (Oz's penguin involving 2 reversed cards
Triple Coincidence.
Daryl's "Untouched
Neither Blind or Stupid
MiraSkill
Dan Harlan's self working card trick
Daryl's Untouched, (as well as Aaron Fisher's version of Untouched)
Aldo Colombini's Predeckability
J.C'S Super Closer -Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles Volume 4 I believe.
'Overkill' it's in Paul Harris AoA 2
copper and silver
Bob Long's "The world's best card tricks"
Poker Control--out of this world.
Richard Lyn "Tricky Ricky"
Galaxy, the Paul Harris version of Out of This World (AoA)
the work of Phil Goldstein or Simon Aronson
'A Potent Presage' by Jack Carpenter
Cheek to Cheek
Overkill and JC Super Closer
Bob Solari's "premonition
Gustaferro -Ultimate Fate
Kenton Knepper -Delight
Degrees of Freedom, also from Dear Mr Fantasy
Darwin Ortiz -Against All Odds
Larry Jennings -Impossible.
Dan Paulus-Blind luck by
Simon Aronson's "Point Spread"
Simon Aronson's Shuffle-Bored
Scott Imler's Cyber Card.
Little Bunny's Card Trick by Bill Goldman (a variant of "Shuffle-Bored" by Simon Aronson)
"The Fastest Trick in the World"
Jerry Sadowitz -Unemotional Reaction by
Derren Brown's extreme mental effort
Giobbbi's Gambler's Dream

NOTE - Gemini Twins is published in Karl Fulve's book of self working card tricks (the first trick in Volume 2, I think) and is a true self working trick. The other is Bro. John Hamman's Twins that uses the sleights you mention including the Gemini Count which is why the two are often confused with each other.
For those who care - all of the few items of mine listed in the above post are in LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, VOL. 1. Best - HL.
If you like the ACAAN effect, try with:

Tommaso Guglielmi Random ACAAN.

MP
Well .. I believe most of the best have been covered here so I'll post one that hasnt been yet. I consider it to 98% self working. Aaron Fisher's "Search and Destroy" plays extremely well with spectators. After the inital move, which is nothing at all, the spectator does the rest. A fella in the "Search and Destroy" thread talks about how he gets kids at events (weddings) to walk around with him and do the card cuts, which plays huge with the people. This effect really flies under the radar somehow. In my view it should be much more popular than it is .. which is probably a good thing for people like me who perform it. Some other fav's include Sankeys Shuffle Cut Deal and Out of This world!

Jeff
Overkill
Untouched and Overkill get a hefty vote as well
A few have called me to ask why I don't mention my effect 12/21 (in SPECIAL EFFECTS) here, in this thread. Well, okay, I really was a bit sorry that I included it in that book - I still fool the heck out of knowledgeable cardmen with it; laymen go without saying - should have kept it to myself. But...what the hey - and I'll expect the two or three "jealousnicks" that usually do to rant and rave about me "pushing" my own books, although I'm not suggesting to anyone that they BUY the book...I'm mentioning 12/21 here. Do with that information whatever and however you like. Best - Harry L.
Harry. Most of the brilliant card magic we know and use today has come from you. Thus, you've earned your right to promote yourself and your effects.
[quote]
On 2003-09-03 04:01, CLJ wrote:
"Stop" by Anneman. I found it in Karl Fulves' Self-Working Card Tricks book about a year or so back and I'm still performing it.
[/quote]

Amazing how these classics are just so timeless. I perform Annemann's "Magic Vs. Mentalism" and have all of the possible predictions in different pockets with pins. After the performance I end with "thought of card in balloon". For those of you who arnt familiar after the magic vs. mentalism trick and they spell out their chosen card, then the second deck is dealt down to reveal their selection also, I go to the corresponding pocket (of their selection) and pop the balloon that's been in plain sight the whole time, with the prediction flying to the ground.
I don't know how I forgot this one but "An Equalizer Revealment" (Aldo On Trost Vol. 5). Theres a setup but its very very nice.
I don't know that one...could it be a take off on my The Equalizer?
Harry. Im familiar with your Equalizer and its similar in nature. The magi or the spectator select 2 cards, end up riffle shuffling as many times as they like, spread on one side and their first selection is the only odd colored one and spread the other side and their second selection is the only odd-colored one. Very simple and very nice. I'm knee-deep in your material right now. I think Im becoming a kind of Harry Lorayne card addict. Something about your effects that are addictive to perform.
No, what you're describing is NOT my The Equalizer (originally in Trend Setters) - it sounds like a Bro. Hamman routine I published in APOCALYPSE so many years ago, called, Two-Shuffles, Harry. The difference is that after the shuffling, one selection is the only red card in the black-card section, and vice versa. (I think.) Best - Harry.
[quote]
On 2013-04-13 13:54, Harry Lorayne wrote:
No, what you're describing is NOT my The Equalizer (originally in Trend Setters) - it sounds like a Bro. Hamman routine I published in APOCALYPSE so many years ago, called, Two-Shuffles, Harry. The difference is that after the shuffling, one selection is the only red card in the black-card section, and vice versa. (I think.) Best - Harry.
[/quote]

Ahh yes. Correct you are. All I know is that Im going back and forth from your material and the "Aldo On Trost" series and I'm in heaven. I have to impress some people in parliment at a dinner party this subsequent week and Im very excited.
I would also like to throw in here "Deal or Duck poker", "Cards & Dice Prediction" and The M.U.M Miracle .. all of which can be found in the "Aldo on Trost" series as well.
Futher than that
I would vote for the rising card. Spectators won't remember the vast number of card tricks or what happened, but this one really kills.
Recently, after purchasing the rising card deck from Marty (martinismagic.com), I have been blown away by the excellence of this deck.
There is a little pause, it rises slowly, you can immediately pull the card out.

It looks like real magic. Also, Marty offers a lifetime guarantee. For 20 bucks, shipped, you can't go wrong, and I think you can only go right.
This trick is pretty much 99% self working, so you can focus on performance and enjoying the spectators and the magic.
Scott
Lorrayne's "Out Of This Universe" and Sankey's "Back In Time" I think I literally use every single day of my life. In my opinion they're 2 of the best self-workers this world has ever seen.
Back In Time is not a self-worker, unless you consider tricks using a pass (or any other sleight of hand control), a double lift and a slop shuffle to be self-working.
[quote]
On 2013-04-26 09:13, Uli Weigel wrote:
Back In Time is not a self-worker, unless you consider tricks using a pass (or any other sleight of hand control), a double lift and a slop shuffle to be self-working.
[/quote]

Fair enough. Everybody delete "back in time" as a self worker in their brain. Few sleights and a different type of shuffle. So simple and effective that I thought Id include it here for the ppl but guess it was a mistake.
I have always liked Do as I do but I often get the feeling that people don't think it is very impressive. Never worked out why - probably the crappy way I do it!
How about Shufflebored ?
Look up The Equalizer.
Isn't the Equalizer just a variation on Shuffle-Bored?
Equalizers fantastic. "Equalizer Revealment" (Aldo Colombini - Aldo On Trost Series) I use everyday!
I'm partial to "Prior Commitment" by Simon Aronson.
Dai Vernon's Vietnam
[quote]
On Apr 29, 2013, Adam Fraise wrote:
I have always liked Do as I do but I often get the feeling that people don't think it is very impressive. Never worked out why - probably the crappy way I do it!
[/quote]

I like to perform Michael Vincent's Kismet with a borrowed deck. It is a Do as I do trick with just one deck and it gets great reactions. Only basic moves are needed.
[quote]
On Apr 7, 2014, darho wrote:

I like to perform Michael Vincent's Kismet with a borrowed deck. It is a Do as I do trick with just one deck and it gets great reactions. Only basic moves are needed.
[/quote]

Here's my take on "Do as I" with only one deck. I hope ou like!!!

[youtube]S2W_1Gklk7I[/youtube]
Juan Tamariz has really good book about that, called, "Por arte de verbimagia" ("Verbal-Magic") that has a lot of really good "the magician never touch the cards" trick. You give instructions to spectators and magic happens.

Another really good one is Lennart Green's "Fingertip Intuition". I don't remember seeing that being used a lot, and is pure gold. I get crazy reactions with it. Be careful with presentation, you should follow some principles required for that trick. Also, he has a version of what I believe is called "Shuffle Bored", with his "Rosetta Shuffle", genius and messy!

And, I couldn't go without talking about Dani Daortiz.
He calls "self-working" tricks of "semi-automatic". He means that "self-working" tricks in the strict sense do no exist. You should always do some of the "work". Presentation, and maybe some misdirection to.

His "semi-automatic" tricks are awesome. I list some of them that I've tried:
"The mathematical trick"
"The 21 cards trick (for magicians)"
"Collection of Business cards" (Colección de tarjetas de visitas)
A poker deal that the spectator deals the cards (in any way he likes)
"Oil and water in the hands of the spectator"
The book "the card magic of nick trost" which can be found as a l and l download has some great material.

As far as tricks, simon's aronson's undo influence is brilliant--absolutely impossible to reconstruct. Shuffle bored can be very strong, especially if you use a divination presentation (with some memorization involved). Lennart greens the eyes of stonehenge is also super (and impromptu). Your other half by woody aragon is fun.
For those of you who are familiar with my HOTOAC effect, you might be interested that at some point (hopefully soon) I will be releasing HOTOAC II, which I would describe as being about 98% self-working. It is also 100% impromptu, and can use any borrowed deck of cards.
Simon aronson's shuffledbored in try the impossible. Mind blowing.
[quote]On Apr 13, 2014, Ricardo Delgado wrote:
Another really good one is Lennart Green's "Fingertip Intuition".[/quote]

where can I find this one (book/dvd)?
thanks!
I agree with shuffle board by Aronson but John Bannon has about 20 amazing self workers in his book Destination Zero. Every tricks worth study. Four sided triangle and perfect stand out to me.
This is a great self-worker and I have seen it under different names but here is how it goes...give a deck to the spectator to shuffle, they start dealing cards face down to the table and can deal from anywhere. They can deal 1 card at a time or pull out a block of cards from the bottom, middle, etc, and they can stop whenever they want. Then they take the cards they dealt to the table in a mess and deal THAT pile to the table in 2 piles, alternating cards as they deal, mixing them up even more. When finished, there are 2 piles of mixed cards face down on the table, and they get their choice of turning the top card over of either pile. You show them that they could have chosen the other top card, (say the jack of hearts), but they turned over (say the 5 of cluibs). You have had a prediction in an envelope in full view you made before the effect, and you cleanly dump out the prediction you wrote and it's the 5 of clubs. Great self-worker. You can also do this effect a little differently using a D/F card as the prediction, so you dump out only 1 card from the envelope. Or you can write down your prediction.
@nattefrost
Sounds great...where can I find this effect?
Macc- sent you a PM.
I forgot about Lennart Green's "Stolen Cards".....one of my favorite self working effects. A triple kicker ending that never fails to amaze people!
Stolen cards.
My favorite is Geoff Williams' Devastation.
It just seems so impossible...
O Gemini Calling (Gemini Twins but a much stronger easier to follow plot with prediction cards instead of "mate" Cards)
o Simon Aranson's ShuffleBored is just awesome, and a MAGICIAN FOOLER.
o And this may seem really basic but "Follow the Leader" specifically Giobbi's handling seems to have a huge impact on spectators... like WHY?! haha they just go crazy In my experience! Just goes to show what works for spectators and magicians can be very different!

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood
My favorite I use regularly is my effect "Dicewave" which is self-working and seems to get pretty cool reactions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zV_30t4SXg

My favorite one that I learned from when I was younger is still to this day the "Four Bankrollers!" haha
Actually I would have to revise my comment to...

o Michael Vincent's Kismet (Found in his Lecture)
o Simon Aronson's The Trained Deck which is actually a full self working routine (Found in Simply Simon)
o Simon Aronson's Childs Play which is actually not cards but I wanted to mention it cause its a great full routine (also found in Simply Simon)

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood.
I'm a HUGE fan of jeopardy by Paul Green. Super simple to do and it's flawless.
I've been going through Karl Fulves' "Self-Working Card Tricks" and two that I think I will be doing often are "Ultra Coincidence" and "The Controlled Cut". I really like the idea behind "The Controlled Cut" - seems like it could be very versatile (like used as a control).
John Bannon has a new DVD out on this that looks fantastic. Just the Demo trick will likely blow your mind! SO CREATIVE!
My vote goes for "Do as I do."
Easy to do and self working,
for me I would go plenty of stuff on killers by r paul wilson and woodyland by woody aragon.
There is a card trick I liked in Steve Beams Semi Automatic series ( 1 or 2 I think) called Sigh Stebbins. I always liked it, but did not use it much because you had to reset the small stack after every performance. I realised recently that with a small change you can deal the cards face up with the added benefit of there being no reset required. It is a great trick and totally self working. It has a lot of audience participation and lots of opportunities for humour. Also because the stack is quite small and does not contain any of the Aces, you can do loads of other tricks with the ün stacked half and keep Sigh Stebbins for a closer. A great trick.
Lennart Green's "Stolen Cards" very interactive effect, people love it, every time I perform it. It really builds rapport with your audience.
Collusion by John Bannon is really nice.
Stolen Cards by Lennart Green, as well as the classic: out of this world.
Ver nice effect, always amazing reaction.
I really like John Bannon's AK47.
Card In The Card Box- James Swain
[quote]On Dec 31, 2016, SimonCard wrote:
I really like John Bannon's AK47. [/quote]

In what book is AK47 explained? I saw the performance and can think how it is done, but I would like the book. Also, which is his self-working card book?
[quote]On Jan 1, 2017, marc_carrion wrote:
[quote]On Dec 31, 2016, SimonCard wrote:
I really like John Bannon's AK47. [/quote]

In what book is AK47 explained? I saw the performance and can think how it is done, but I would like the book. Also, which is his self-working card book? [/quote]

AK47 is in John Bannon's 'Destination Zero' and 'Mentallissimo'. 'Destination Zero' is his self-working book and it's a very very good book. Mentallissimo is his mental effects book with cards and it won quite a few votes in book of the year thread. hope this helps.
'Destination zero' just got re-printed.
Thanks SimonCard, I just ordered it!
[quote]On Jan 1, 2017, marc_carrion wrote:
Thanks SimonCard, I just ordered it! [/quote]

You're welcome. AK47 is also the reason why I bought these two books.
A Tribute to Dunninger- Swain
My routine, "Unfazed" is one my my favorite self-working tricks. In the video, I use ESP cards, but the routine could just as easily be done with playing cards.

https://www.benblaumentalism.com/unfazed.html
+1 for Play It Straight Triumph by John Bannon. Aboslute fooler, and not a single move required!
Agreed. Play It Straight Triumph is part of my repertoire and has a terrific impact on spectators.
Aldo Colombini have my vote for self-working.

Jumbo Coincidence and Contact Colors are 2 good examples. Comercial, killer and self-working.
Aldo Colombini's Contact Colors is indeed a great effect, although it does require quite a set-up, and some of its phases can be a bit convoluted and lengthy. But it can be mind-blowing if done well, and it's hard to believe that it is self-working.
My best SW tricks:

For FSDIU: Gemini Twins; Pre-prefiguration; Cowboys & Indians; Piano Card Trick
For Set-Up: Overclock; Further than That; Freewilly; Bannon's Triumph
Lennart Green's Stolen Cards and the classic trick where you get the spectator to select 10 cards, tear them in half, shuffle the two face-down torn piles and then use the 'will the cards match' technique to match the torn half cards up up. Apologies, I can't recall the name of the originator/creator.
I can not choose just one.

My favorites are:
Richard Vollmer - Strike a Match
John Hamilton - Eyes of the God
Dai Vernon - Emotional Reaction
Benjamin Earl - Sow by the Lug
Simon Aronson - Self-Control Lie Speller
Paul Gordon - Head To Head Poker
Thom Peterson - The Known
Matthew J. Dowden - Out of this World
Andrew Wimhurst - Cheating at 21
John Carey - An impossible conclusion
Ben Blau - Unfazed
Ben Blau - CRIMSON CLUPEIDAE
Ben Blau - SORT OF THE TRUTH
Cameron Francis - Deceit Treat
Andrew Brown and Atlas Brookings - The Crusade - A Mind Reader's ACAAN
Thank you for this list. Where can the Richard Vollmer and Hamilton effects be found if you don't mind sharing?
Best Wishes.
Boy! You guys have to start reading the good stuff!!
[quote]On Jul 1, 2017, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Boy! You guys have to start reading the good stuff!! [/quote]

What was that a response to?
I have read some of your books Harry and I like them.
With all due respect, I found the comment to be unduly mean and unfounded. Surely, there is a lot in the literature that is totally unknown to most practitioners, but there are also some excellent contemporary specimens. I see no reason to disparage them.
With all due respect, Ben, let me repeat (important to some - not all, obviously - and obviously not to you) - You guys have to start reading the good stuff!
Oh, and by no means do I intend to "disparage" anyone. I see no reason for you to have made that statement.
Harry, it could reasonably be taken by the context in which your statement was made, that the routines listed in the previous post didn't represent "the good stuff" from your vantage point. That's the part that struck me as unduly disparaging. Sorry if I misinterpreted or mischaracterized your intentions. It happens to me almost every day online.
Your apology accepted. And I'm going to have to repeat - from what I see from the majority of posts here - most have not read my books - which are FILLED with impromptu card magic. Now, if I'm wrong - please accept my apologies again - so that we can end this great debate. (And if anyone here would like me to list the books of mine I'm referring to, or where to find them available, just let me know - it'd be my pleasure.)
[quote]On Jul 1, 2017, adiabaticman wrote:
Thank you for this list. Where can the Richard Vollmer and Hamilton effects be found if you don't mind sharing?
Best Wishes. [/quote]

"Richard Vollmer - Strike a Match" can be found in "Impromptu Card Magic Volume 4 DVD by Colombini" and "John Hamilton - Eyes of the God" in (Mike Maxwell - Incredible Self-Working Card Tricks Volume 1"

All the best!
[quote]On Jul 1, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
Harry, it could reasonably be taken by the context in which your statement was made, that the routines listed in the previous post didn't represent "the good stuff" from your vantage point. [/quote]

I'm sorry Harry, but I interpreted it that way too.
Thanks for the sources qualysoft!
Don't blame me for how you "interpret," qualysoft. "You gotta' start reading the good stuff" is a cliché of mine that I've written/posted at various forums for years now. And nobody, until this thread, certainly not those who've been into magic for some time, seemed at all "disturbed" about it.

As a matter of fact - I'm usually thanked for stressing it to/for those for whom it should be stressed. Usually the responses are statement like "absolutely" - "Listen to Harry" - etc.
Harry, I've read some of your books.

So I'd be interested to see a list from you of "the good stuff" in books *other* than your own - which you would recommend or speak positively about? I'd especially be interested to know what contemporary material you'd recommend, i.e. say from the last 10-15 years.
I wrote about this so often, in APOCALYPSE over the twenty years, in forums, and etc. I am very careful about recommending ANYTHING - except my own stuff. Know why? And I speak from long-ago experience - if I recommend anyone else's book/trick, whatever - I immediately receive Lord knows how many screams from others yelling "What about MY book/MY stuff?!" Unfortunately or fortunately I'm in that kind of silly position. Learned my lesson decades ago.

So, sorry, I just won't do any recommendations. So EndersGame, I can/will recommend only my books - which is what I mean when I say "You gotta' start reading the good stuff!" If you, or anyone, don't agree - hey, that's fine, I have no argument with that.
[quote]On Jul 2, 2017, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Don't blame me for how you "interpret," qualysoft... [/quote]

Let's be fair, and admit that both sides bear some responsibility.
Yes, I'll bear responsibility for writing many books containing MUCH, almost all, impromptu card magic, done anywhere, any time, with any deck - which OTHERS all over the world have raved about for decades, starting with my first book - CLOSE-UP CARD MAGIC and all the way to JAW DROPPERS ONE.

I doubt if you'd want me to list all the rave snail mail/emails - that'd take up much too much space. Testimonials like - "No magic writer more gifted than Harry Lorayne. There are too many card gods to count but Mr. Lorayne is Zeus atop Mount Olympus."(Panlives)

Or - "Probably the greatest teacher magic has ever seen! I earn my living performing many of the routines I first learned from many of your books. You have been a constant source of inspiration." (Michael Vincent)

Or - "Harry Lorayne IS card magic." (Chris Kavanagh) Or - "Harry Lorayne has given me, and so many others, the encouragement to learn and progress." (David Regal) I can list hundreds more if you'd like - just to stress those who HAVE "read the good stuff"!!!.

So, yeah, I'll take full (not "some") responsibility for stating - You gotta' start reading the good stuff!!! Trying to be as "fair" as I possibly can, Ben. Hope you're satisfied - but if not, hey - your prerogative.
It's amazing to me that when I'm trying to help I'm forced into these kinds of posts. So, anyway, thanks for "forcing" me.
Just recalled that even here on the forum there are so many like "Harry is a treasure and his input is always appreciated. His books and videos are packed with great stuff.'(MeetMagicMike)

Incidentally, Ben, I'm sure that your items that you plug in this thread (just received a call reminding me of them) are terrific. Good that you let us all know about them.
Nice of you to say, Harry. I don't think there's any ambiguity here about the level of respect that you (a) receive and (b) deserve.

❤️
Thank you, Sir.
I wish I were around and active during the Apocalypse days.
You can still purchase the bound volumes - although I have copies only of Volumes 2 and 4
[quote]On Jul 1, 2017, adiabaticman wrote:
Best Wishes. [/quote]
Vollmer's Strike a Match, a favourite of mine, was published and described by Harry Lorayne in Apocalypse. Ya gotta start reading the good stuff Fellas. ; )

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=431947&forum=206
Thank you magicfish. May I ask which volume of Apocalypse?
Yessir, click the link provided above, my friend.
Aceofjokers- I believe the effect that you were talking about (cut in half cards) on the previous page is called "Jumbo Coincidence".
[quote]On Jul 31, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Yessir, click the link provided above, my friend. [/quote]

Oops, sorry I missed that. Thanks again!
Nick Einhorn 'Magic Time'
[quote]On Jun 28, 2017, AceOfJokers wrote:
Lennart Green's Stolen Cards and the classic trick where you get the spectator to select 10 cards, tear them in half, shuffle the two face-down torn piles and then use the 'will the cards match' technique to match the torn half cards up up. Apologies, I can't recall the name of the originator/creator. [/quote]

I've had and used Stolen Cards for years now and it never fails to kill. Laymen simply can't conceive of the G****i effect making this (and other excellent effects based on the same concept) work. The three part reveal just leaves people amused, then surprised, then absolutely stunned.
Hello Guys I just want to let you know I have just published a penguin live all about easy to do card magic and everything is part of a whole act :) and there you can find my version of Daryl s UNTOUCHED and one of my fauvorite pieces of my one man show DECISIONS 😃 and much more selfworkings 😊

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS 🤗

Have a great day !!!

Nicolas Pierri
Besides his popular "Play It Straight Triumph", which certainly belongs here, which other tricks by [b]John Bannon[/b] should be mentioned as his very best self-workers, and candidates for a list like this?
Not tellin.