(Close Window)
Topic: New iPhone App, "Email Wizard", Released!
Hello Cafť members! I'm very exciting to tell you about the release of my new magic app from iPhoneMagicApps.com: "Email Wizard." This is an awesome new idea with TONS of possibilities. Here are just a few examples of what you will be able to do:

Effect #1: You send an email to a spectator and tell her that you included an image. You have her verify the email showed up in her inbox but instruct her not to open it yet. Imagine that you then have the spectator select a card from a deck, at which point you perform your favorite card routine. Afterwards, almost as an afterthought, you say "oh, go ahead and open that email now." Upon doing so, the spectator will see an image of the magician holding the chosen card.

Another effect: You ask her if she has a phone which she can receive an email on. She says yes, so you send her an email and explain that you included an image. She looks at her inbox and indeed sees that she has received an email with an attachment. You then hand the spectator a blank pad of paper and a sharpie. You ask her to concentrate on you first, and then her phone, and then to write down any number up to four digits long (zero to 9,999). Once she is satisfied, you hold up the number she wrote down for all to see, and then you ask her to open her email. Upon doing so, she will see a photo of a pad of paper with the same number written on it.

Lets take it even further: You send an email to spectator and ask her to verify she received it, but once again not to open it yet. You offer her a deck of cards and she makes a free choice. You then hand her a sharpie and ask her to draw an image, or a symbol, or word, or a number really big across the front. You then have her put the phone aside and perform the ambitious card routine. After a few phases of your routine, the spectator has probably forgotten all about that email which you sent before the card was even selected. After you are done with your routine, as you walk away, you say "oh, go ahead and look at that email now." When she does, she will see a photo of her selected card, with the same doodle drawn across it!

These are just a few examples of what you will be able to do with the Email Wizard app. You can load in over 10,000 images to use as your predictions. They can be images of anything, and you are limited only by your creativity. In addition to your pre-loaded images, there is also a "nailwriter" mode that opens up an infinite number of possibilities.

Wouldn't it be great if you could perform any of the above examples and truly never touch your phone after the email is sent? Well, it's possible, and we call it "Confederate Mode." If you have a friend who has his own iPhone with a copy of the app you can do some truly amazing things. Think about that for a secondÖ your magician friend, with his own phone (and thus camera), can choose the image the spectator will see when she opens the email.

Some more facts about the app:
- The spectator gets a real email from your personal email address (You can include your contact details at the bottom of the email if you like!).
- A great app to perform over the phone.
- This is a "stealth" app, meaning the spectator will never know, or even suspect, that an app (other than Apple's Mail) was involved.
- The app does include a couple hundred images (including a deck of cards), however these are just to give you some ideas. It will be up to you to come up with a set of images and a routine to use.
- You can quit the app and come back later to finish the performance (even days later). This means that you can combine it with other magic apps.
- This is a slightly complex app (There are many customizable settings to learn about). In my opinion, this is not a purchase & perform immediately type app and will take some preparation. There are detailed instructions and almost a half hour of HD video tutorials (which can be viewed from your home computer as well).
- Can be repeated instantly. In fact if you have a group of people you can send an email prediction to each person and have a different image appear in their individual inboxes.

Limitations:
- At some point after you send the email you will need to pick your phone back up and give the screen a tap or two. Your images can be arranged in a couple different ways, and so depending on which album you want to access it may take just one tap or maybe five taps. The app can give you some help to give you an "excuse" to pick your phone back up if you like. It will only take you a second and the screen can be in view while you do it. Of course you also have "Confederate Mode!"
- This will not work on every brand of phone your spectator might have. Different phones, different email programs, and also user settings will vary the way images are displayed. On some phones the spectator will have to tap a "download image" button after they open the email. I have found that Blackberries never seem to work, they don't seem to like displaying images. So far that is the only phone I have come across that does not work at all.
- Although this could be a standalone trick, it is best if you integrate it with your current magic routine (for example your ambitious card routine).
- Both you and your spectator will need an internet connection.

The initial price for this app is $15.99, but it will go up after a few iTunes ratings and reviews roll in. I truly believe this will become one of your favorite magic apps and I am confident you will think it is a good value. I am very open to ideas and suggestions for improvements or additions. If you have a feature request, just shoot me an email and I'll see if it is something I can make happen!

This app has been heavily tested (thanks beta testers!), but as with any new app I suspect there may be an issue or two that we all missed. If you come across anything just let me know and I'll get it fixed ASAP.

Let me know if you have any questions about what you can or can't do with the app!

James

james@howdyoudothat.com
HOLY CRAP!! I just tried out the "Confederate Mode" and it rocks!!! You wanna talk about blowing people away!...WOW!
Have been playing around with this app now for four hours solid.....have read all the instructions and watched all the videos, and for the life of me I can not get any image to show in the email....not even an error message if the email is opened too soon. Also have tried the support link on itunes, and get a message that says not found on server!! NOT IMPRESSED AT THE MOMENT!!!
Rasp, shoot me an email at james@howdyoudothat.com, we'll get to the bottom of it
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Sep 25, 2011 07:08PM)
Iíve been using this for several months now, I actually perform this every single day and I honestly have to say itís the best app on the market! I helped test it out and saw how it evolved from one very good idea into the most powerful tool on my iPhone. James didnít ask me to write this review and without knowing me, he asked me to help him test out some apps after seeing me post some thoughts on other apps a while back, so Iím just giving my honest opinion.

I have almost every single app thatís become available for our special purposes and have found very few that I actually use. Out of the few that I use, I can only think of one other app that I actually use in formal situations. While Email Wizard is an app, I really see it as more of a Swiss Army Knife, with so many different uses. At its current price, some will say itís an expensive app. I actually wish it was priced much higher or not available at the iTunes store. I stand by my love for this app and can assure you that thereís no hype.

This isnít one of those apps that you just show to a few of your friends and hope they donít get suspicious about the phone. There is NO heat on the phone! Read that again. Many apps are very cleverly designed to look like your phoneís normal functions, yet still make your phone a crucial part of the process. With this app, youíre just sending an e-mail, after all you canít log into their account and mess with their phone or computer since you never touch it, and this is subtly implied without even having to say it. You can even be on the phone or Skype! The iPhone doesnít need to be seen.

Like I mentioned in the previous paragraph, you can even use this at a huge stage show. In most of my shows, I have a projector running a Keynote or Prezi slide show as my background to make things look even better. I strictly perform as a Mentalist and storytelling is very important to me, so I use the projector as a key factor of my visual media for my mind reading and mind control moments. Now, imagine having a computer connected to a projector and inviting a spectator onstage, one who doesnít mind checking their Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo/Work or Home Mail etc. in front of everyone. Send the photo of your prediction and have them check and show everyone their inbox to prove that you have sent your prediction. Theyíre now free to name anything they want out loud and youíll be spot on (or as close as you want to pretend to be), very cleanly, no suspicious moves. This can very easily be achieved for a strong closer and a very nice digital souvenir for your spectator.

Any downside? I personally have no problems or see any down sides with this concept. Some phones arenít very good for displaying images, but thatís easily taken care of. Some might also wonder if there are certain types of people who may catch on to the methodology. The answer is, yes, and I know how to easily avoid them and perform this very successfully, so thatís not something to worry about. Iíve blown away magicians, mentalists and tons of laypeople with this. I have my own thoughts on how to avoid any problems, so if youíve purchased this app, private message me and show me that you have E-mail Wizard, Iíll share my private thoughts on this since I donít want to expose anything. If anyone complains about this app on this thread, I can only imagine how wrong theyíre using it and welcome those people if they do show up, to write me.

Every single subtlety was thought out very well, youíll be impressed with the amount of thinking that went into this. Do check out the instructions, videos and tips very carefully so you can perform this successfully.

James is also very quick to reply to any questions or problems you run into. I actually never found a single bug and have a 100% success rate with this. Pick your spectators well, create your own outs and variations and youíll be blowing peopleís minds in person, at shows, over the phone, Skype and e-mail; this is exactly what Iíve been doing and thank James and his team for coming up with this.
Thanks for the review!

I also wanted to highlight a bit more the "Confederate Mode," which is my favorite part of the app. It allows somebody else to do all the dirty work while you just concentrate on your routine. There are endless possibilities when somebody else, who nobody is paying attention to, can control the image that the spectator will see when the email is opened.

Confederate Mode also works if you want to send multiple emails to a group. For example, you if you have a group of three people, you can explain that you are going to send each of them a prediction, so you fire off the emails using the Email Wizard app. You then put your phone down, hand the group a deck of cards, and turn your back. You instruct each person to choose a card. All the while your buddy is lurking in the background looking over their shoulders. Nobody is looking at this guy, he's not the magician, and so nobody notices him tap his phone a few times. The spectators can then open their emails, at the same time, and they will each see a photo of their chosen card! Confederate Mode works with the nailwriter too!
Good luck with it James. Sounds good. :)
Hi James
I bought your app "Email Wizard" yesterday...and first I want to say: Many thanks for this appsolutely fantastic Tool
The only negative thing about the app is in my opinion the price... because its to cheap.....!!!
In a week after more testing I will write a complete review here on the Cafť

Thanks

Minderx

ps: Hope you can understand what I wrote because English is not my native language
I don't have this yet and don't know the method. Would this App be able to work with "The Tube"? Meaning the link to the video prediction could be an e-mail that you sent?

Jeff
No, for right now you can only send photo prediction emails. Youtube links is something that might be possible, I'd have to give some thought to how to make it work. But, just images for now.
Ok Thank you.

Jeff
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Oct 3, 2011 02:02PM)
You can certainly take pictures of you holding a sign with a YouTube URL and send that as a prediction, it would work perfectly.
[quote]
On 2011-09-23 21:00, rasp wrote:
Have been playing around with this app now for four hours solid.....have read all the instructions and watched all the videos, and for the life of me I can not get any image to show in the email....not even an error message if the email is opened too soon. Also have tried the support link on itunes, and get a message that says not found on server!! NOT IMPRESSED AT THE MOMENT!!!
[/quote]

I bought this a few hours ago and have all the same problems as rasp.
No matter what I do I can't get it to work.

I've sent you guys an email. Any help would be greatly appreciated please.
Hey David. I emailed you the fix, it's a setting in your iPhone's main setting controls for Mail. You should be good to go.

James
This is a great app and easily worth the price. I did have an issue and sent James an email (this was probably a month ago) and he was very quick to respond and got me all sorted out. Your imagination really is the limit with this app.
I used it to correctly predict the score of the Super Bowl. I sent a photo of me holding my prediction to several people in a single email hours beforehand. It's a great app!
This is easily the best and most versatile app I've ever used. In this day and age of technology almost everyone has access to mobile email and thanks to this baby I no longer need to pack my wallet with multiple outs for so many effects. This thing is truly a wonderful tool and easily worth the money!
Is this going to be available for android?
No sorry, no plans for android. Promaming costs are much higher than the iPhone.
I have not been able to find a working link to this anywhere, could someone please provide me with a link. Its not even coming up in a search for email wizard. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks
Actually it's not available at the moment, sorry. I'm partnering up with someone. Im not sure when it will be re-released.
I await, thanks
My favourite app,very organic,tons of possibilities,I use it with Mental Killer.Awesome combo!!!!
Great .. get me all excited about this trick and then pull the rug out from under me at the bottom of this thread. hehe I hope you rerelease soon.
I have this app, very good but it's suddenly not working anymore. I hadn't used it in a while so maybe
I've forgotton something and I@m now doing it wrong, but I don't think so. It all works up to the last
and most important step. Anyone else had any problems?
Hey Ethan, it's nothing you're doing wrong, the app no longer functions. I just sent you an email with more info.
Could I also get that email with "more information" about the $15 app that no longer works. It seems that all that is required is to maintain the server, as it was when it was initially sold, with lots of fanfare and no indication it would stop working pending a three-month, and counting, attempt to "partner." What, apart from refunds could the "more information" usefully provide? Having bought the app - which has not worked for longer than it did work - I would be curious to receive that same email with more information referenced above. Send to: rebyrnes@post.harvard.edu.
The app was turned off on Sept 14th. An app update was sent out 2 months ago that, once downloaded, would display a pop up message upon launch directing the user to a website that has info about the end of service and the refund process. If you didn't get the update you would not have seen that pop up message, but that's really the only way I have of getting a message out to users. Of course if you have questions or problems you could always email me directly through the help page on the app. I'll email you the webpage now.
It was sold to David Copperfield, and seems more likely to be stockpiled with other tricks, patents, and copyrights than to be re-issued. Not exactly prime intellectual property rights; but he seems to gain satisfaction from alone possessing something only a handful of magicians want, anyway, and filing lawsuits against infringers who use confetti snow.
Hi R.E. Byrnes,

David Copperfield has not stockpiled Email Wizard.

He is using the app every night at his show at the MGM in Las Vegas.

His use of a magic app, really validates how powerful a magic app can be.

I have a LOT of voicemail recordings of professional magicians that use my app on stage . . . where many members of the audience are calling the "psychic" all at the same time.

It's really neat for me to see these events happen. A ton of calls come in for a particular card, and in the voicemail message you can hear the magician on stage and the audience applauding.

cheers,
Greg Rostami
I can't say that I blame the OP in selling the rights to this, at all. I am sure he made a lot more money selling the rights to it than he would get selling to us. I am not sure what sucks more, never being able to purchase this app or having purchased this app, becoming reliant on it, and then having it pulled from your grasp. Actually, I would probably be pretty ticked if I bought an effect and then later having it sold off to someone else and no longer being able to use it, refund or not.
Just saw the sister thread discussing the discontinuation. I would have loved to have seen this effect in action.
Has no one made a copy of this app yet??
I know Copperfield wouldn't be too happy, but the rest of us would!
So sad to no longer be able to use the best magic app I've ever seen.
Can't blame Copperfield for buying it, I'd have done the same in his shoes.
Can't blame James for selling it. I'd have done the same.
But come on coders .. get copying it ! :)
[quote]
On 2012-09-28 12:36, James Mattox wrote:
The app was turned off on Sept 14th. An app update was sent out 2 months ago that, once downloaded, would display a pop up message upon launch directing the user to a website that has info about the end of service and the refund process. If you didn't get the update you would not have seen that pop up message, but that's really the only way I have of getting a message out to users. Of course if you have questions or problems you could always email me directly through the help page on the app. I'll email you the webpage now.
[/quote]

After several emails to one James Mattox to get a refund on the discontinued Email Wizard magic app, I never received my refund via an iTunes gift card that he promised. He said he kept contacting Apple to issue the refund, but I never heard a thing. Sounded like I was getting the run-around from him. This was a few months ago. Luckily, I paid for the app with my credit card. They launched an investigation and I just was notified last week that I was refunded the purchase price of $15.99 on my credit card.

Great customer service, James Mattox! Good luck in your future business endeavors. You're going to need it.
Ugh. I've issued hundreds of refunds without any problems. The magic Cafť is not tech support, I don't know who you are so I cant do angthing about it.. Nobody ever emailed me to say they didn't get it so I don't have a clue who you are. In fact I've emailed people to remind them to claim their refund! But if you got a refund from Apple that's great. A direct refund from me would have been more $$$
James has been nothing but obliging in his communication and appologies and answered any questions about what happened and no-one can really blame
him for his actions.Any pm I sent him about this app was answered within the hour.He refunded my account almost immediately. I just hope we get something even
better from him shortly...
I second that... Never have had any issue with Customer Service from James.