(Close Window)
Topic: One way back design
Are there any subtle one way back designs out there?

Alex
[url=http://www.searchthemagiccafe.com/results.html?cx=014960069972729874861%3Aixusnja1pdo&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=one+way+backs&sa=Search]One way back discussions...[/url]

Brian
To answer your question ... YES. Most decks are one way, you just have to know where to look. Some are designed to be one way and those are ideal. The Conjuring Arts Research Center just put out a one way deck that's amazing.

D
Hi Alex,

Discussed in past threads, but worth remembering, is “Secret of Palmettos,” by Jeff Busby.

The Texan Palmetto backs are still available in Canada at Bradley Games:

http://fgbradleys.com/fgb-cart/Product.asp?pid=1611&cat=71
[quote]
On 2011-09-29 20:43, Doug McKenzie wrote:
To answer your question ... YES. Most decks are one way, you just have to know where to look. Some are designed to be one way and those are ideal. The Conjuring Arts Research Center just put out a one way deck that's amazing.

D
[/quote]

If you are referring to the CARC "Ask Alexander" decks, I would respectfully suggest they do not qualify as a "subtle" one-way design.

They are as obvious as Bulldog Squeezers.
I thought he was referring to the Erdnaseum Commemorative decks, which if actually a one-way deck would be far more subtle than the Ask Alexander decks.
[url=http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=1580]Bicycle League Back[/url] is subtle, and can be seen from across a room!

Brian
[quote]
On 2011-09-30 10:06, Steven Keyl wrote:
I thought he was referring to the Erdnaseum Commemorative decks, which if actually a one-way deck would be far more subtle than the Ask Alexander decks.
[/quote]

Indeed; and if so, I do apologize for leaping ahead of asking!
The League Backs are indeed subtle yet obvious.
[quote]
On 2011-09-30 10:59, bblumen wrote:
[url=http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=1580]Bicycle League Back[/url] is subtle, and can be seen from across a room!

Brian
[/quote]

Brian is dead on with this suggestion. Annemann LOVED these and for good reason: you have great visibility as Brian notes AND the patter is still BEAUTIFULLY subtle. I picked up a dozen of these at my dealer's recently.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
[quote]
On 2011-09-30 12:15, Vlad_77 wrote:

Brian is dead on with this suggestion. [b]Annemann LOVED these[/b] and for good reason: you have great visibility as Brian notes AND the patter is still BEAUTIFULLY subtle. I picked up a dozen of these at my dealer's recently.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
[/quote]

[b]LIES! LIES! LIES![/b]

Brian
[quote]
On 2011-09-30 07:34, panlives wrote:
[quote]

D
[/quote]

If you are referring to the CARC "Ask Alexander" decks, I would respectfully suggest they do not qualify as a "subtle" one-way design.

[/quote]

The people at Conjuring Arts are much smarter than you think. I respectfully urge you to buy a deck.
I loved the Palmetto Decks, especially with the information in Jeff Busby's old book "The Secrets of the Palmettos." However, I bought a couple dozen of the "Texan" decks from a source in Canada after being assured they were the Palmetto backs. When they arrived, they were not. So, if you are going to buy them, be careful.

I checked out the Link panlives gives us and it shows the box, but not the actual back design. If these are truly the Palmetto design, then I recommend that you pick some up. If you don't have the Busby book, these cards are more than one-way backs. They are edge marked so that if a card is reversed in the deck, you can spot it, and cut right to it from the edge. It's a very deceptive tool since the cards can be shuffled after a card is returned and you can still easily find the card without looking at the faces.

If you are working with these, or plan to, feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to tell you about some of the stuff I do with it.

Dennis Loomis
[quote]
On 2011-09-30 14:40, Doug McKenzie wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

D
[/quote]

[/quote]

The people at Conjuring Arts are much smarter than you think. I respectfully urge you to buy a deck.
[/quote]

My comment was not meant to impugn the reputation of the amazing folks at the Conjuring Arts Research Centre.

I am an Erdnase-level member and have purchased many CARC products, including their cards.

Still, if you are referring to the “Ask Alexander” cards, they have several amazing qualities. Subtlety of one-way design is not one of them.
[quote]
On 2011-10-01 08:39, Dennis Loomis wrote:
I loved the Palmetto Decks, especially with the information in Jeff Busby's old book "The Secrets of the Palmettos." However, I bought a couple dozen of the "Texan" decks from a source in Canada after being assured they were the Palmetto backs. When they arrived, they were not. So, if you are going to buy them, be careful.

I checked out the Link panlives gives us and it shows the box, but not the actual back design. If these are truly the Palmetto design, then I recommend that you pick some up. If you don't have the Busby book, these cards are more than one-way backs. They are edge marked so that if a card is reversed in the deck, you can spot it, and cut right to it from the edge. It's a very deceptive tool since the cards can be shuffled after a card is returned and you can still easily find the card without looking at the faces.

If you are working with these, or plan to, feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to tell you about some of the stuff I do with it.

Dennis Loomis
[/quote]

Hi Dennis,

The box shown in the link I appended is indeed the Texan Palmetto backs.

I buy them retail at Bradley Games in Toronto.

There is another “Texan” deck, which have entirely different backs, here:

http://www.kardwell.com/texan-playing-cards.htm
Voila:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/nauset1964/BlueTexanIISmall.jpg
I'm thrilled to hear that the Palmetto Backs are still available. When I said they were edge marked, I was slightly inaccurate. What makes these impossible for a spectator to spot is that they are BEVEL EDGE MARKED. That means that the mark which appears when one card is reversed in the deck is not visible if you hold the deck squared. If you just slightly bevel the deck, the marks appear.

The Palmetto "all over" back design is, I think, quite beautiful. The cards handle beautifully and faro quite easily.

But the way the cards are cut in the factory greatly affects the marks. Not every deck works the same way as far as the bevel edge marks. But, in his book, "The Secrets of the Palmettos," Jeff Busby explains how you can adjust this with a few minutes work with an Emory Board.

In addition to the Bevel Edge Markings, the Palmettos have clear one-way marks on the top of the card if you want to work with them in the standard manner. There are two different places where you can pick up these marks, both in the upper left hand corner of the cards. If you have a Palmetto Deck, look for one of the Palmetto Leafs that has two distinct white marks next to each other. If you turn the card around, there is only one mark on the other end. There are other one way marks, but if have the Palmettos you can find them yourself with a little searching.

I've only scratched the surface of "The Secrets of the Palmettos." Alas, the Busby book is out of print, but it's possible to find it used.

Dennis Loomis
I don't have the Palmetto Texans.
But since the topic of this thread is One Way Back Design I think it should be mentioned, that the Not-Genuine Texans from Kardwell mentioned by Panlives ( http://www.kardwell.com/texan-playing-cards.htm ) also have one way back design!

I got a pack for free from my magic dealer in Denmark and discovered the nice one-way-feature. The dealer didn't even know hwat I was talking about! The important detail is near the corner (not in the margin) and easily recognizable (only) if you you know exactly where to look.

Unfortunately the cards are a little too sticky and stiff for serious card slights. So I would not recommend them for all round card work. But for self working or tricks depending mainly on the one-way-feature they have a nice old fashioned gambling-style look.

Troels
Trolle,

Nice find.

I had to take a hard look at the other Texan backs.

You are indeed correct.
[quote]
On 2011-09-30 14:40, Doug McKenzie wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

D
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You know...I've been playing with these cards since I got them (I bought them the day they were released) and just discovered one of the secrets last night. I had a good laugh over it. [i]Very[/i] subtle...and it's been staring me in the face this whole time...when I was showing them to a group of magicians a few weeks back, who didn't own the cards, none of them noticed this feature either...bloody brilliant.
Josh, you talk about "Ask Alexander"? The back or the face? :) Jan
The face, of course. :)
O. K., I spotted it straight away, thought about a miss prInt for a moment, then started to laugh... :) Jan
Keep looking ... there's more brilliance to that deck.
I did notice something else on the back with the hatching on some cards. Haven't figured out the significance yet.
Doug is right- the Ask Alexander deck is amazing. There are some very subtle and clever qualities hidden in these cards.
Phoenix decks have a hidden one way back design and faces of the cards also have a very subtle one way design. You can use this one way back to aid you with your memorized deck work to a great advantage.
The cards appear to be a one way back design, but in an obvious way. There is a more subtle one way design that leaves the very obvious one way back design looking mixed up. Even if your audience thought you would be using a one way design, they will see the obvious head one way design & realize the cards aren’t sorted for one way, but the secret one way design is still in play. Interesting the faces and backs don’t align when sorting for one way. Is there a reason for this? Are there any other secrets besides one way that I’m missing?
[b]I.M.Wright[/b] Which deck are you referring to? Ask Alexander, Phoenix or another?
[b]TazBo[/b] I am familiar with all 3 one-way features of the Phoenix decks. Which one-way feature can help with memdeck work? and How? PM if necessary, Thanks.
I love that phoenix cards have built in features. Very nice :)
[quote]On May 21, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
[b]I.M.Wright[/b] Which deck are you referring to? Ask Alexander, Phoenix or another?
[b]TazBo[/b] I am familiar with all 3 one-way features of the Phoenix decks. Which one-way feature can help with memdeck work? and How? PM if necessary, Thanks. [/quote]

PM sent. 👍
Sorry, I was talking about the ask Alexander deck. And I found my answer to the one way faces question. Arrange the cards so the hidden one way is lined up and stack the cards in mnemonica to see why.
[quote]On Sep 29, 2011, Doug McKenzie wrote:

D [/quote]

Every deck of bicycles I've purchased has had a one way back design - and they come with all the cards oriented in the same direction!

I'm quute happy with USPCC's imperfect quality control :)
Tally Ho Fan and Circles have subtle one way designs.
[quote]On May 23, 2018, Yowie_ wrote:
Every deck of bicycles I've purchased has had a one way back design - and they come with all the cards oriented in the same direction!

I'm quite happy with USPCC's imperfect quality control :) [/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm happy to see I am not the only one getting bicycle decks with off-centered backs!!
You have to be lucky to get a decent one these days.
I'm getting a few Phoenix decks to see if there's any difference and to enjoy the embedded one way features...
For my money, there is nothing as good as the Phoenix decks in this way
Two other one-way backs are "Cyclist" and "Angel Back" squeezers.
Phil
Hello, can someone help me with the properties of the Ask alexander deck please, is there any official info on this ? I found easily the one way face deck but wha5 about all the rest ? Please help me ?
Harry Riser describes a subtle technique for modifying a standard Bicycle Deck to a one way back design deck in his book Secrets Of An Escamoteur.