(Close Window)
Topic: Interesting Figure
Here is a figure that may interest someone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ventriloquist-figure-dummy-puppet-doll-Barry-/230684666495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b5e0aa7f
It is interesting for a conversion figure, at least it's not the same old just redone doll with a framed body and headstick.
Impressive for a conversion figure. Interesting project too, I guess. Maybe we need to get into conversion figures...

Gary
I remember thinking it could be fun to do some conversions, add some material to re-sculpt the face a little, that's probably why I had gathered so many vent dolls at one point, the only thing I always things about with conversion figures is that they are such small figures.
I think that's another advantage of the Mike Brose parts. You can change them and the price is good. Unfortunately most people don't go to the trouble of doing it, but I have seen some really nice ones that you never would have known they came from a kit. And you end up with a full size figure!

Gary
Yes, there is nothing wrong with the look of the stock Brose kit faces, but I had really expected, back when he came out with them, to see a lot more people doing something a little different with them, but it turned out, not too many were doing anything different.
I've seen a few... most recently a Mortimer looking figure done from the Fred head. Must have taken some use of the Dremel around the eyes and addition of Magic Sculp, but looked really good. There was a drunk figure a few years back that they had actually modified the hands as well and even created a cigar for it to hold. Lots could be done if someone took the time... so far I've taken 3 years! LOL!

Gary
Yes, the possibilities are there, like the old plastic wood Anderson heads, although the Brose heads are definitely more ready to use "as is", but I think a lot of people missed out on the possibilities of doing more with the Brose heads.
Especially people that ike to take eisting figures and modify them, I really would have thought they would jump on the kits and modify those for a different look.
I've got a Brose through Rappold. JUST as I was getting into buying more figures (Louie had served me for a few decades), I saw it at the price I could afford on ebay and bought it. I liked the look of it...and THEN learned all the lore about how many are out there. Rappold did a good job on him, though, and he's my standard "cheeky boy," named Huckleberry Hannigan. Considering the market I'm in, I'm not likely to run into another Brose. Meanwhile, I've done considerable work on a Lovik living mouth to make her entirely different--slot-jaw, ball and socket neck, lots of reworking on the physiognomy and repainting (Sylvia Perkins). I'm thinking of adding a monocle to my new Chuck Jackson figure (If I can figure out how to do it without doing any damage to the work itself. Dan Willinger had an idea for me about that), redressing him and making him British. But I've also got the Hartz figure (Louie Freenie) which I've rewigged...and a Medici figure from Buenos Aires, repainted and rewigged (Cooter Mudge)...also Niblet, a Selbert "Tater" figure, and a Wanlu soft duck (which I may rename "Lucky Duck." Dunno yet)...these last two exactly as they came to me and too lovely to touch. If I had it to do over again, I might have done some work on the Brose/Rappold, but he looks good, anyway...and I do have two or three virgin Brose heads down in the basement, just in case.
-Philip
There's a Brose-Rappold on ebay now, ends today and is pretty low right now, but it looks like it needs repair work.
Dave, whats the link?
Here it is Buzz, better hurry though. It runs out in a few minutes.

http://tinyurl.com/43t5n3k
Do we have a winner in the house?
$233 not bad for one of Glen's creations :)
Sorry I didn't see your post Buzz, I turned in early - hopefully Mr. Pitts posting it got to you in time.
The final 233. is a lot cheaper than one of his figures usually sell for, even with needing repair, it's a good price.
If you go to the link Mr Pitts posted above you will find on the top of the page another figure for sale , a Steve Barry conversion doll. Current bid is $676.00 !?!
It is amazing, isn't it?
Of course his original description may have helped get it that high, he listed it as a carved figure, but if anyone looks at the questions below, that is addressed and corrected (though he should have gone in and revised the description so it's plain to the bidders).
There is an excellent figure on Ebay right now for sale with an UNKNOWN MAKER. The bid is starting around $600 and hasn't had any action yet. From the looks of that figure, someone is going to get a super deal. Sure looks like a quality figure to me but I can't identify the maker!
CaptKirk The one you are refering to is a Lovik.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
Yes, there's really no mistaking a Lovik. If someone does end up getting that for the opening price, I think they are going to be getting a good deal, unfortunately, it will not be me.
Speaking of interesting figures, here's another one that popped up last night. Probably a toy, it's only 30" and they say the eyes move but you can see they only roll downwards to give a blinking or closed eye effect, but I've never seen one before;
http://tinyurl.com/4xul7gy

Then there is this one I've not seen before, obviously not a Danny O'Day as listed, and it's just a vent doll, but aside from the string out the back of the neck to move the mouth, it also has a battery operated voice box. I assume as it said stuff, you're supposed to move the mouth;
http://tinyurl.com/649nppj
Lovick, carved basswood or cast?
If you're asking, Donald, Loviks are cast.

-Philip
Most all Lovik's are cast, but not all.
My first pro vent figure was a carved basswood figure I ordered from the then "Maher Workshop", run at that time by Lovik, but then the carved Loviks look different than the standard Lovik-look that most are used to seeing and familiar with.

But in regard to the one on ebay - the original price of 1600., and the what looks to be leather winkers/blinkers almost makes one think it could be carved. Although you can't go by the price, we all know some ask way too much for figures, and some pay too much for figures.
I cannot recall, if after he went to the new, what I call, "standard Lovik-look", if he still did any carved figures. Too bad they didn't post a picture of the neck and headstick, that could maybe tell a lot.
And of course, it's always possible that it is not a Lovik but something someone made that looks very similar - after all, it's a goof figure, so many of them look near alike.
Seems that Lovik continued basswood figures for a long time, but they were special limited edition figures. Most were molded and then a few per year were carved. I don't have any of the old Maher catalogs around here presently, but remember the inside cover of the catalog showed what was being carved that year.

Gary
So it is possible it's carved, but we'll never know unless the seller posted more pics that can give us a better clue.
I used to have a lot of the old Maher catalogs sitting around, but I remember I cleaned out a lot of them some time ago.
[quote]
On 2011-10-26 10:20, blueshawk1 wrote:
Speaking of interesting figures, here's another one that popped up last night. Probably a toy, it's only 30" and they say the eyes move but you can see they only roll downwards to give a blinking or closed eye effect, but I've never seen one before;
http://tinyurl.com/4xul7gy

[/quote]

This figure is being sold by someone in Mexico, do you think the figure speaks english?
Maybe with a slight accent.

I guess I didn't realize that some of the old Loviks were carved. I've got one, and she's cast in hard latex. She's the one I've been altering off and on for over a year now in my spare time. Almost done. Actually WAS done once, but decided to add ball-and-socket neck. Don't care for the drop-through.

-Philip
As we've talked about before, I have a similar Lovik from that period with the flat drop through neck. I actually like it. The ball and socket never meant much to me anyway because I always lift the head for animation - not that I mind a ball and socket, just that I'm just as happy with the flat drop through style of these figures.
I send the seller a message several days ago, asking for a pix of the control stick, no answer yet.
If he ever responds, be sure to post them here so we can see.
[quote]
On 2011-10-25 15:41, manal wrote:
If you go to the link Mr Pitts posted above you will find on the top of the page another figure for sale , a Steve Barry conversion doll. Current bid is $676.00 !?!
[/quote]
One of the bidders backed out, it's down to 475. now, still way overpriced for a conversion figure.

[quote]
On 2011-10-27 12:29, creativemac wrote:
I send the seller a message several days ago, asking for a pix of the control stick, no answer yet.
[/quote]
Looking at the close-up of the mouth for another thread, I'm 99% certain it's a molded figure.
[quote]
On 2011-10-27 19:45, blueshawk1 wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-10-25 15:41, manal wrote:
[/quote]
One of the bidders backed out, it's down to 475. now, still way overpriced for a conversion figure.[/quote]
It went back up to 675. at the end, I feel sorry for whoever "won" it.
Caveat emptor, "Let the buyer beware".

Most important thing you can do for yourself BEFORE, buying ANYTHING, is EDUCATE yourself. Know what it is you're buying, know the market, know the TRUE value of what is being offered vs. QUALITY products.

I have several Selbergs which I paid, $725, $755 and $625. I will admit, the one for $625 DID NEED WORK. Cost of that work from Clinton, $125. I have a Hartz, I paid $725 for. Got several Tim Cowles, figures which I paid less than $700 for.

I too, feel sorry for the people paying good money for these figures, but it not my place to tell them so. With the internet, and so many forums, it's easy to find good information. I do like the work of some of the figures being sold, I just wouldn't pay the prices, the figures are being sold for.
Heard from the seller. Here are pixs of the Lovik that is presently on eBay.

[img]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/8040/img3758a.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3110/img3757o.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9553/img3756t.jpg[/img]
Thank you for posting the pictures Donald. Looks like a "fancier" model, but I still think it's molded from looking at the other pictures.

P.S. Only two more posts to go and I won't be "special" any more. :)
There is no question that this particular figure is from a casting. I have owned 2 of them myself. Identical in every respect.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
And the Lovik finally got it's first bid (not me).