(Close Window)
Topic: Instant Patina!
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Oct 14, 2011 12:40PM)
Instant patina.... really?

I know that some of you love your cups nice and shiney (Donnie!) and some love a nice patina, well Bruce has written a wonderful article that will quickly and easily allow you to create the later, instantly!

Bruce's results are wonderful and use something you probably already have in your kitchen! Bruce kindly wrote up part 1 and is going into more depth in part 2.

Thank you Bruce!
http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Instant-Patina-Part-1.html

Bri
I've been waiting for this one. thanks Bruce & Bri.
Great findings, thanks, Bruce and Brian.

Francis
Tragic
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Oct 14, 2011 04:14PM)
Thanks guys! I thought that might by your response Donnie! It's only fair to mention that no cups were harmed during the process!
:rotf:
Donnie... Just walk away... walk away... LOL.
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Oct 14, 2011 05:15PM)
You know Donnie, you could look at it this way... Bruce is SEALING in the shine and protecting it, safely underneath that patina....
Donnie I won’t include photos of the chrome Cups with a patina.
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Oct 24, 2011 06:46AM)
Bruce kindly sent me part 2 of his great article! It's up on the site now for those who have been waiting (and if Donnie wants to torture himself some more..)

Thank you Bruce!

Bri
Congrats! I think you already won "the weirdest thing I've read on the internet this week" award, and it is only Monday!

The winning quote: "The best thing I have found so far that gives a somewhat faster than normal result (all things being relative), is to sleep with the Cups between my pajama shirt and stomach."

Bri and Bruce... you guys are great. Thanks for your contributions...

-Lee
I think this is called "the kangaroo method."
Yes... I warned in part one, things would be a little weird. I want to be clear... it is scientific! No way a fetish... LOL.

Bruce
Bruce, you are truly the Jane Goodall of goblets!

-Lee
That is Doctor Bruce to you sir... LOL
"Nothing comes between me and my Sherwoods."
Bill... I missed your “Kangaroo Method,” comment... funny.

Dr. Bruce
They look great. I've got the Magic inc cups that I've had for probably 35 years - naturally patina'd..but if I ever get new cups, I'll probably use this method.....
I think I'm going to need part 2 because part 1 has less than desirable results. The cups are "blotchy".
Domino... Don’t give up; try giving them a wipe down with the denatured alcohol and try again. After wards give them a good rise with warm water and handle them or try the under your shirt method, this should even out the blotchiness.

If you can PM me some photos to look at. It took me several tries to get repeatable results.

Good luck,
Bruce
Here is another interesting technique:
Bake the polished copper cups in your conventional kitchen oven at 500 °F until the desired patina is achieved. These cups were baked for about 30 minutes. (Actually placed them directly on the rack and allowed the oven to heat up to operating temperature with the cups inside, so the total length of time in the oven was about 45 minutes.) The cups have a variety of colors in them - reds, green and golds. I noticed that when the oven had just reached 500° the cups were a wild looking red. I should have taken them out and taken a picture at that time. Then they turned a silver looking hue after about 15 minutes at 500°, and after 30 minutes at 500°, this was what came out:
[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/ddecae/bakedcopper.jpg[/img]

Copper will not melt until temperatures reach 1084.62 °C, 1984.32 °F. Neodymium will be ruined at 500° so don't try this on Combo Cups.

Note: No cups were harmed in the production of this photograph and all copper was restored to a brilliant shine after the test.
Very nice Donnie. Thanks.

Francis
Thanks Donnie... Something new my wife will think is weird when I fire up the oven... LOL.

Bruce
Perhaps Donnie should apologise in advance to Mrs Smith.
Kids, it's not Dad's fault there was no dinner.
Tom... the question will be, why do my Cups smell like fish sticks... LOL.

Bruce
Good tip, Donnie. Thanks. I may give it a try.
Thank you Donnie AND Bruce. A very entertaining thread! :)
Afinemesh... I am glad that you found us entertaining; then I did my job...LOL. Cup Fever effects us all in different ways.

Bruce
Very entertaining thread. On on of my sets of cups, I actually put a lacquer clear coat over the patina to protect it. Not only does it make the cups appear more shiny, my hands don't smell "metallic" after use. Plus, I can't accidentally wipe the patina away. The nice thing about lacquer (as opposed to the "magipoxy" once applied by the original Rings and Things) is that, should you change your mind, it is very easy to remove with lacquer thinner.

I use nitrocellulose guitar lacquer, which is also applied to fine brass instruments to keep them from tarnishing.

Regards,
Jonathan Schweid, M.D.
President, JESmagic
I have never considered applying lacquer to a Cup with a patina; however I have had great luck using wax. That way I can control the luster and it too can be easily removed.

Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce,
Good idea with the wax. I have some good quality carnuba wax that I'll try. The lacquer is nice too because it "melts" into the patina and you can't see, but gives that "candy coat" shine. It too is easily removed with lacquer thinner, which will not remove the patina.

I also bought some bronzing solution and have been experimenting with it to get a nice patina. You can use this solution to tarnish the cups, but in general I find it blackens the cups if you apply too much. That said, it comes up with some very nice colors. The cool thing is that you can always just buff it off with your buffer, or copper polish. I have used Donnie's baking method too. It works quite well.
Jonathan... I too have found that carnuba wax works well, I have also had great luck with “Renaissance Wax, “recommended by others. One day I might try the oven and lacquer methods.

It is amazing the different hues of color that appear as Cups are used or forced to turn. For a while I was on a shiny Cup path, but now I really like my Cups penny brown. Brass must be kept shiny... though I remember a set of brass Johnson Cups that Franck posted a photo of, they looked pretty cool too.

Thanks,
Bruce