(Close Window)
Topic: Russian kids frickin' insane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mf5nOPazfU

Warning--Title not suitable for work.
That really IS insane! Dear lord, I was getting vertigo just watching it.
That has sent me into the horrors.
Can you say "kiss the building"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zxxM9EYQzY
I started another thread about badassess. Maybe this one belongs in the dumbass collection.

Yikes!

John
I only have an ipod, but he probably has better frequency response.
David Blaine fans... :ohyes:
Like inside the soulless concrete bunkers that passed as “housing” in Marxist-Leninist Soviet society...perhaps fuelled by the politics of despair.

Sad.
[quote]
On 2011-10-15 18:04, panlives wrote:
Like inside the soulless concrete bunkers that passed as “housing” in Marxist-Leninist Soviet society...perhaps fuelled by the politics of despair.

Sad.
[/quote]
Despair? Sad? It might be stupid, but they look happy and seem to be celebrating life to me.

Here's the follow-up (?) video, which shows the bungee cord and hook-up in more detail.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/russian-roof-bungee-jump-part-2/1jrs9uzt9?cpkey=b73ce01a-56f2-449a-9bd9-ee02feda04d9%7C%7C%7C%7C

And here's a story about the original video:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/popwrap/mindless_minute_russian_roulette_wvZvmm50WSFMwNoAq5y40H
Indeed, the devil-may-care death-defying exuberance of Russian culture antedates the XXth century.
[quote]
On 2011-10-15 18:04, panlives wrote:

Sad.
[/quote]
Umm they've been living in a capitalist wonderland for over a decade.
A decade is nothing. There's LOTS of leftovers from old systems, old mindsets and culture (not just 'Soviet'). I've been working in that area of the world for 14 years.
[quote]
On 2011-10-15 19:01, balducci wrote:
Despair? Sad? It might be stupid, but they look happy and seem to be celebrating life to me.
[/quote]

You need to look a lot deeper.
Lets get all philosophical, and analyze the despair experienced by the soviet culture on a young mind. Or we can think of it as average teenagers from anywhere trying to have a good time. If I were 16 years old, and trying to impress my girl friend I don't know what kind of foolish instant decisions I would make.

Lighten up
It's the Russian "scenery" that makes the whole thing moody and weird from the start.
AH BALONEY
It looks like ordinary kids from anywhere trying to have fun.
Why? We're talking about a legitimate, and interesting subject. Who needs to lighten up, and why? Why does that bug you? Maybe you've been away from this section of the Café for too long! But then, I'm sure that if you were 16 and trying to impress your girl, one of the first things to come to your mind would be to fling her off a building! :)
So the remnants and memories of old systems (including the 'Soviet'), old mindsets and culture are what drive kids in Russia to bungee jump. (A popular activity among many youth in many Western countries, it should be noted.) (By the way, I don't know how old the people in the video are, but my guess is that they would be older than 16 ... more than likely young adults to have access to, and rig, the bungee gear set-up they have.)

I'm with Al ... people are over-analyzing.

I'd love to hear the explanation for why the guys behind 'Jackass' from MTV do what they do (or did) (including Ryan Dunn's alcohol fueled, high speed crash (and death) last summer). Do we blame soulless capitalism?
If you are going to go only from this video and a J***** video (sorry, that word got the Café censor!) and come to conclusions you know nothing about, go ahead. Balducci, the bungee video simply reminded me of a lot of truths that you have not encountered. You want to confine things to bungee jumping - I'm trying to go beyond just that.

Are you saying cultures and mindsets do NOT cause people in certain cultures to be more fatalistic, take more risks, etc....?

There is no over-analyzing - the video (in my case) brought to mind real things that go deeper.
Chessmann
I believe that you have made a valid observation. I have been away from this forum for a long time, and it was the anal retentives that drove me away, so I gotta get back to my real life, and it is making the little kiddies laugh.

Balducci
When I was 24 years old me and my ex wife drove to Woodstock, so I do understand a little bit about crazy youth.
No offense meant, Al. Sorry if I sounded snippy. I'm kind of in a bad mood.

Let me be clear, the video just reminded me of some truths about how things are over there. I'm not saying we over here don't do stupid things, believe me! Again, I've been working in that area of the world for a long time. I've seen a lot. But I don't feel like typing much more. Don't agree? Ok.
[quote]
On 2011-10-15 22:44, Al Angello wrote:
AH BALONEY
It looks like ordinary kids from anywhere trying to have fun.
[/quote]

Baloney that Russia looks creepy and depressing in the video? Well that's, like, your opinion, man.
[quote]
On 2011-10-15 23:19, critter wrote:

Baloney that Russia looks creepy and depressing in the video? Well that's, like, your opinion, man.
[/quote]
I suppose so, but IMHO no more than around many other apartment building complexes (let along abandoned ones) in the U.S. and Canada in remote areas, in the dead of winter.

Chessman, FWIW, I was talking about the bungee jumping video in the original post. Nothing more, nothing less.
I'd like "Page-one thread twists that nobody in his right mind could have predicted" for $400 please, Alex.
[quote]
On 2011-10-15 23:50, balducci wrote:
I suppose so, but IMHO no more than around many other apartment building complexes (let along abandoned ones) in the U.S. and Canada in remote areas, in the dead of winter.
[/quote]

Perhaps some day you will get to visit that area of the world. Should you do so, keep the sentence above in mind. I think you will find it interesting.

[quote]
Chessman, FWIW, I was talking about the bungee jumping video in the original post. Nothing more, nothing less.
[/quote]

I gotcha. Two people can see the same thing, and it can bring very different things to our minds. Again, sorry for my mood.
I think Tosh pointed out the same thing about Russia looking depressing when they played this clip on his show. I don't think he was trying to be deep.
[quote]
On 2011-10-15 23:54, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I'd like "Page-one thread twists that nobody in his right mind could have predicted" for $400 please, Alex.
[/quote]

Now that's funny :) because its true.
More vignettes of Russian life. Definitely not Chekhov.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKlgX2KzzOk&feature=player_embedded#!