(Close Window)
Topic: Cigarette magic
I'm looking for material outside what is on YOUTUBE...Im looking for real material on cig magic. can anyone give me heads up on old books on this subject? This is not a dead trick. I want to keep an old one alive.
Tom Mullica's 3-DVD set "Expert Cigarette Magic Made Easy" would be a good place to start.

Mike
Mullica is my inspiration to continue cig magic. I had no idea he had video on cig magic. All I could usally find is tom foolery stuff. I will look further. Thanx for the advice.

still if there are books I would like to know
The best book to get would be Encyclopedia of Cigatette Tricks. by Keith Clark.
The book has 304 pages and covers most everything you want to know.
Another small book is Producing Lighted Cigarettes by Loyd. 21 pages published by Kanter. Also Tarbell has lots of cigarette magic.
Greater Magic also has a section on cigarette magic, as does most of the Slydini material available.

I do not smoke, and therefore, do not perform cigarette magic with cigarettes. Instead, I use small pencils, rolled up paper money and other things of a similar size and shape with which you can do the same effects and routines.
Expert Cigarette Magic, by D. Deveen. Found on the Learned Pig site for one place.

I adapt cigarette magic to the CCK.

Pete
Another thumbs-up for Dev Deveen's excellent booklet. It may have been produced in the 1940's BUT the magic within is still as fresh as a daisy. I've seen a copy for sale only recently on Ebay for peanuts.

The Edward Victor series 'Magic of the hands' (more magic of the hands, further magic of the hands, etc.) also cover some little known cig. sleights.

There is also a 'Ganson Teach-In' that covers Mark Weston's cigarette routine (and some other excellent cigarette ideas). Again, I've seen this booklet on Ebay occasionally and it's well worth checking out.
Tarbell Course In Magic, has some nice cigarettes magic in them.

Greg
Willane's Complete Methods For Miracles.

Marlo in the Linking Ring or try Arcade Dreams.

Although the above mentioned books are also great, Cigarette Magic by Deveen and Producing Lighted Cigarettes by Loyd, none comes close to the wealth of material found in Keith Clarks book.
Mr. X...

There are no cigarette effects in [i]Arcade Dreams[/i].

Brian
There is.
But you're right, thought there were more cig items from Linking ring in there...not the best resource, granted....but you are wrong Brian.
It's part of my cig routine. So in my case it counts.
[quote]
On 2011-11-02 20:51, Mr. X wrote:

But you're right, thought there were more cig items from Linking ring in there...not the best resource, granted....[b]but you are wrong Brian.[/b]
[/quote]

Other than the incidental use of a cigarette to light flash paper in the effect [b]Diminishing Golf Ball[/b], pp. 95-96, please cite another use of cigarettes in this volume.

Brian
No smoking by Jean Luc Bertrand is a cool routine with lighters.

Cigarette thru coat.

David Stone's "Quit Smoking"

Steve Fearsons Floating Cigarette, it's on his dvd and in a set of lecture notes.

Slydidni's torn and restored cigarette
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnid-Tt9ySs&feature=related
http://www.lybrary.com/slydinis-cigarette-magic-p-2206.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET_MKohV0xU
[quote]
On 2011-11-03 15:33, bblumen wrote:
[quote]

But you're right, thought there were more cig items from Linking ring in there...not the best resource, granted....[b]but you are wrong Brian.[/b]
[/quote]

Other than the incidental use of a cigarette to light flash paper in the effect [b]Diminishing Golf Ball[/b], pp. 95-96, please cite another use of cigarettes in this volume.

Brian
[/quote]
Get a life mate.
[quote]
On 2011-11-04 04:47, Mr. X wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-11-03 15:33, bblumen wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Brian
[/quote]
Get a life mate.
[/quote]

You tell me that I am wrong and when I challenge you to prove it, you tell me to get a life?

While searching for that life, I had time to research Marlo's contributions to [i]The Linking Ring[/i].

From January 1955 through February 1981, Marlo had [b]THREE[/b] effects using cigarettes...

Page numbers cited are from the Randy Wakeman bound version:

[b]Diminishing Golf Ball[/b] pp. 25-26
[b]Cigarettes-Cigars-Pipe[/b] pp. 28-31
[b]Cups and Balls[/b] pp. 167-172

Twenty six years of contributions, and only three uses of cigarettes.

Methinks perhaps you need to know your references a bit better.

Brian
Thanks for proving me correct on both counts you deluded little man.
[quote]
On 2011-11-04 15:06, Mr. X wrote:
Thanks for proving me correct on both counts you deluded little man.
[/quote]

What!?

You cite references that only use cigarettes incidentally, (with the exception of [b]Cigars-Cigarettes-Pipe[/b]), and I am deluded?

From my [b]dictionary[/b], (see, I have one)...

[b]A delusion is a false belief held with absolute conviction despite superior evidence.[/b]

I submit that you are the delusional one!

Maybe you need a dictionary!

Where is your evidence to prove me wrong?

Brian
Sorry for the diversion folks. Back to the original question...

See [b]Impromptu Torn and Restored Cigarette[/b], [i]Fechter - The Magic of Eddie Fechter[/i], pp. 131-133. And, also in [i]Magician Nightly - The Magic of Eddie Fechter[/i], pp. 5-9.

See also Tom Mullica's [b]Hank-Foolery[/b], Jon Racherbaumer's [i]At The Table[/i], pp. 180-184.

More to come...

Brian
I already admitted my error in the ammount I thought was in Arcade Dreams.

The use of cigs in some are incidental you say...could these effects be done without cigs? The answer is no..guess you should get your dictionary out again and look up incidental.

So if I found these useful in my cig act, why should I not mention them?

I say your beef is unfounded sir, lets just put it down to you having an off day.

Maybe you are a little constipated? May I suggest plenty of fruit.
Martin Gardner's [i]Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic[/i], pp. 60-79.

Eugene Burger's [b]Second-Hand Smoke[/b], [i]Mastering the Art of Magic[/i], pp. 142-144.

Burger again, [b]Making Cigarettes Disappear[/b], [i]The Performance of Close-Up Magic[/i], pp. 38-47.

Still more to come...

Brian
Yes Tarbell's material has some great stuff in it and also Mullica is a good place to start.
Keith Clark's Celebrated Cigarettes.
I just ordered this from Ellusionist. Haven't got it yet, but it looks pretty cool. There sadly hasn't been a lot of new cigarette effects put out there recently. I know smoking has fallen out of favor, but they are such organic props to work with, I've found "I'm trying to quit" demonstrations still go over really well. Got high hopes for this one. I'll review it once it comes in.

http://www.ellusionist.com/smoked-by-christopher-dearman.html
Why oooooo WHY has a routine to be new or recent.
Learn the classics and what is published already and you've material for many years.
[quote]
On 2013-12-20 13:15, john wills wrote:
Why oooooo WHY has a routine to be new or recent.
Learn the classics and what is published already and you've material for many years.
[/quote]

Already learned the classics - love'em! Just like to see new effects & concepts to play with with organic materials such as cigarettes. The disappearance of a full pack of cigarettes from inside the pack in Smoked looks pretty cool & I'm hoping to add it to some of the classics to make a longer routine. I'll let you know what I think once I get it. :)