(Close Window)
Topic: Will Robots Steal Your Job?
Or is this notion Science Fiction of a past era?
What are you talking about? They already have replaced many jobs. Or are you specifically talking a magician?
"Roboto the Great"
They're already disguising themselves as us.

For example, Mike Michaels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pxFyiWwZTE&feature=related

Be afraid, Be very afraid. :comply:
We're rolling out software internally now that des about 30% of what we normally do, it could theoretically replace us completely. Helping users create their account feels almost like a Twlight Zone episode at times.
[quote]
On 2011-10-20 04:00, Josh Chaikin wrote:
We're rolling out software internally now that des about 30% of what we normally do, it could theoretically replace us completely. Helping users create their account feels almost like a Twlight Zone episode at times.
[/quote]

The Matrix is almost here. :cry:
Near the bottom of this page are three posters used in the background during the game "Portal 2"

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Aperture_Science_Robot_Worker
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 20, 2011 05:43AM)
[quote]
On 2011-10-19 07:29, panlives wrote:
[/quote]

Robots, if you recall the source of the word, refers to people.
Still used that way in slavic language countries.
No
[quote]
On 2011-10-20 06:43, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-10-19 07:29, panlives wrote:
[/quote]

Robots, if you recall the source of the word, refers to people.
[/quote]

Someone pointed out that the "robots" of the play "RUR" were, in science fiction terms, actually androids (ie, artificial human beings) whereas the "droids" of "Star Wars" were clearly what we consider when we think of "robots!"
"1.A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2.A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws."
I always felt Will Smith's character in "I, Robot" should have been told that the robot that saved him and let the little girl drown probably went into an irreversible brain-lock because a) it had to let a human die and b) it had to damage another human in order to save it.
Get with the program
What robot would possibly want my job?
Though I understand there are robots from other planets that will do jobs that Earth robots refuse to do.
[img]http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/frontsquare/e977_robomower.jpg[/img]
http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/e977/
I've done considerable work in the automated production realm.
At the rate automation and AI are advancing, I strongly suspect we will eventually have a technocratic system where machines do the work while we collect stipends and pursue personal research, projects and/or hobbies.
Well, technology made teachers as givers of information obsolete ages ago. You know, back in the days when books were invented.

So teaching is about some kind of human interaction which no robot could ever replace. Unless, of course, they are Nexus-6, which basically [i]are[/i] human, since they don't always know they are not. And--wait, wait...gonna get deep here--perhaps the most profound aspect of humanness is to understand oneself as human. The claim makes it true. Deep, deep movie.

It doesn't matter. Eventually all teaching will be outsourced to India and China anyway, whether I like it or not. And it might happen any day now.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 23, 2011 04:06PM)
[quote]
On 2011-10-23 11:03, critter wrote:
"1.A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2.A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws."
[/quote]

Which, given that people profess to eternal afterlives leaves only one logical course of action.
Aren't you glad Asimov's laws were not put to the test.

Just leave it as "drudge workers" and think of 1-2-3 as part of the Wallmart employee's handbook along with "An employee may not cause the company to lose money". ;)

All labor units get back to watching sports event programming. There will be attentiveness quizzes at the watercooler tomorrow.
[quote]
On 2011-10-23 14:17, landmark wrote:
What robot would possibly want my job?
Though I understand there are robots from other planets that will do jobs that Earth robots refuse to do.
[/quote]

We oughta build a fence to keep em out!
They build all the cars in the us. thy should pay taxes like real people
LOL!
They'd have to figure out what I'm doing first.

Fortunately I am under no such constraint.

-Mary Mowder
One of the many things I enjoyed about the movie "Robocop" was the revelation, towards the end, of why the Chairman of the Company was Chairman of the Company. Although up to that point, he seemed rather dimwitted, he figured out, in an instant, how to enable the RoboCop to circumvent one of the robotic laws that - up until that moment - made it impossible for him to take out the villain.