(Close Window)
Topic: Aftershave
We've never done this topic. I checked. We've done almost everything else under the sun. But not aftershave.

Use it? What? Something old and traditional, like Old Spice? Something exotic and imported, like Pitralon? Something non-alcoholic? Something feminine? Do you follow it with cologne? What?

We've done shaving, but not aftershave. It's a missing link in our discussion of everything.

I myself want to change. Normally I don't use anything at all. If my face feels irritated I use a teeny-tiny amount of moisturizer. If I feel the need for some "sting", I use a cheap bay rum.

I rarely used cologne, but when I do it's just a drop or two of 4711, which is marketed as a woman's eau de cologne but smells to me like one of those paper-packaged towelettes they give you to wipe your hands with after eating ribs. Smells clean. I like to smell clean. The only cologne I used to wear with any regularity was Dunhill. But I still have an unfinished bottle, twenty years on.

So, weigh in, folks.
I love Old Spice- brings back my dad getting ready for work and other neat memories. Plus, it is a great smell, the cologne lasts all day, and it is relatively cheap. I do have a woman who buys me a continual supply of Opium for Men- very exotic. Don't know if any of this helps get you laid, but it is fun to think it might...
Although I love the smells of good perfumes, perfume doesn't agree with my skin. I can't even use perfumed soap without coming out red blotches. I have a few that put cloths more or less and I liked that film “Perfume”.
I used Nivea aftershave balm, then I ran out...I probably should restock. I thought about getting Old Spice, then a girl who works in my office said, "Wow, someone put too much cheap aftershave on today. It smells like Old Spice out there!" So I didn't, so I could pretend to be cool.

But I'm not that cool, I still use Old Spice deodorant. Have we done a deodorant thread? Sorry for hijacking this one.

Aftershave is for sissies. So are razors and shaving cream. I use spit and my Bowie knife!
No "aftershave" here, but do use use Proactiv to keep my skin clear and I'd guess that the Step 2 "toner" is kinda the same? Stings a bit after shaving but feels cleeeean.
Old Spice classic.
I alternate between trying to dress somewhat put-together and dressing like a slovenly grad student, on a roughly five year cycle. Even when I'm at the zenith of my dressing put-together stage, I still can't get in the habit of using aftershave with any regularity. When I do, I use a relatively fancy Bulgari aftershave that I got in a cologne/deodorant/aftershave set. But that tiny bottle has lasted me more than five years, and I don't think I'm even halfway through.

It smells nice and feels fine. But a few hours after shaving, I can't really notice a difference. Or, perhaps more importantly, neither can my wife.
When I graduated from High School I got a ton of the stuff as graduation gifts from many of my parents friends and co-workers. Obviously they failed to look at the graduation picture that came enclosed in the announcement as it showed me sporting a full beard. I eventually just threw the stuff out as I had no use for it.
I don't use aftershave, but when I do get a straight razor shave they splash on something along with some skin cream (Noxema I think). My schedule doesn't allow me the time to get the barber treatment too often but it is a luxury that I allow myself when time provides.
I use Hugo aftershave and cologne.
I don't use aftershave, but on some occasions, I'll use cologne. I always got a kick out of Grandpa on "The Lost Boys" splashing on Windex before a hot date.
I hate perfume smells. Old Spice is okay. Bay Rum is okay. The rare occasions that I have used aftershave it has been Old Spice.
I don't use it too often. I tried using Old Spice once but if I remember correctly my skin reacted to it like Tommy described so I don't use that at all. Colognes I will use once in a blue moon. But I don't douse myself in it like so many people do. You aren't supposed to know someone was in a room 20 mins after they have left because their cologne is still hanging in the air. Those that put too much on you have to wonder if they don't take showers or baths often so they have to try and make themselves not stand out by smelling bad.
Most times, skin reactions to products like this are due to the complex organic chemicals in the fragrances. Some of the newer Old Spice fragrances irritate my skin, so I just stick to the classic.
Most of the time it has to do with their sense of smell. They keep putting it on until they smell it. The Kuwaiti women have a tendency to go heavy with their perfumes at times. It lingers for a long time in the elevator.
Since I needed to buy a few drug store items, I got curious and checked out the aftershaves in the local drug store. They had Old Spice in a couple of different sizes. That stuff must be international. But to be honest, I can't remember what it smells like. Should have bought some, I suppose. Actually, now that I think about it, why didn't I? Just a few bucks for nostalgia's sake.

In general, here in Göttingen people don't dress up or wear a lot of perfume. It's a college town, with a college town's dress down mentality. Professors wear tweed, but no one is running around in Armani suits, if you know what I mean. Don't know how it is elsewhere in Germany.

Now I'm a bit obsessed. Why didn't I buy the cheapest bottle of Old Spice, just to remember how it smells? Maybe I'd like it. Maybe the OOMA would like it.
I'm with you Payne. Throughout high school in the early 60's I was sent home many a times to shave off a goatee, stash,sideburns, or full beard I would sneak by with for a week or two. After high school I went straight to work on a full out beard. I remember one birthday gathering at my family's home with friends as well, and I received about 7 bottles of aftershave. No, I didn't take the hint. I just wondered why so many people just wasted money on thoughtless "gifts"?

I bought an antique vent figure once belonging to Max Terhune and the headstick was so imbedded with cologne I had to use a wood scraper to take it down about 3/32" all around to get rid of it. Whoever used it before me must have been one sick puppy to have to think he was so cool to reek so.
While you're at it buy a pipe and some tobacco. Between the Old Spice and the pipe, you'll bring back memories of the old men of your youth. Can you whistle? That would add to the mood.

John
Straight alcohol. Feel the burn!
Remember the old Skin Bracer commercials?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEtcHdDyEvo&feature=related

Thanks! I needed that!
Marlin, I've used Wild Turkey in a pinch.

But I don't think the girls were particularly impressed.
I do have a few nice pipes, but have not smoked them for a couple of years. I think about using them every now and then. Some of my old tinned perique is probably aging very nicely.
[quote]
On 2011-10-25 14:15, stoneunhinged wrote:
Marlin, I've used Wild Turkey in a pinch.
[/quote]

Now that's manly.

Trivia time! What great harmonica player (and world class whistler) whistled the Old Spice song in the old TV commercials?
STOP WITH THE PIPES ALREADY!

(Jeff smoked a pipe for over twenty years, and has been tobacco free for...hm...four years this November. Don't go talking about aged perique. He might get an urge. Especially right now. Why is Jeff talking about himself in the third person, though?)
Critter don't know why Jeff is talking about Jeff's self in the third person.

How about that scene in Lost Boys where Chuck Testa used Windex as aftershave for his date with the widow?
A bottle of Aqua Velva and a Tampa Jewel Cigar brings back memories of my Grandpa.
My Grampa smoked Pall Mall reds. Non-filter.
I was recently trying to remember which product had the commercial "Thanks, I needed that!" Skin Bracer. "Those skin tighteners and chin chillers..."

My dad used Bay Rum for a lot of years. I always liked the smell.
I believe that Bay Rum is the gold standard of manly aftershaves.
Here's how to make your own:
http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/21/diy-bay-rum-aftershave/

I also consider Old Spice to be a close relative of Bay Rum.
[quote]
On 2011-10-25 14:40, critter wrote:

How about that scene in Lost Boys where Chuck Testa used Windex as aftershave for his date with the widow?
[/quote]

How about that post where this was already mentioned?

[quote]
On 2011-10-25 12:03, Michael Baker wrote:
I don't use aftershave, but on some occasions, I'll use cologne. [b]I always got a kick out of Grandpa on "The Lost Boys" splashing on Windex before a hot date.[/b]
[/quote]

RIF

Brian
[quote]
On 2011-10-25 15:22, bblumen wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-10-25 14:40, critter wrote:

[/quote]

How about that post where this was already mentioned?

[quote]
On 2011-10-25 12:03, Michael Baker wrote:
I don't use aftershave, but on some occasions, I'll use cologne. [b]I always got a kick out of Grandpa on "The Lost Boys" splashing on Windex before a hot date.[/b]
[/quote]

RIF

Brian
[/quote]

Interesting... I never saw Chuck Testa's name mentioned in that post. Must be in the fine print.

It is touching how you 'have it in for me' though. Following me around looking for posts of mine to troll on. Thank you for the compliment. I am glad that I am so important to someone I know nothing about. Everybody, I have my own cyber-stalker!

As for my part, notice how I've been leaving you alone the last few days?
It's been very nice.
Any one ever use peanut butter for shaving cream?
[quote]
On 2011-10-25 15:37, Marlin1894 wrote:
Any one ever use peanut butter for shaving cream?
[/quote]

No.
Barry Goldwater did.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream".- Barry Goldwater
Regular or crunchy?
You guys must hang with a different crowd of women then I do.
When I was in College, I worked in the men's department of JL Hudson store in the Detroit area.
In addition to selling shirts and ties, we also sold aftershave and cologne. One thing I always remember
was the number of customers who would ask what the most expensive cologne was and buy it, without
ever sampling it. It was a brand called Poco Rabanne. Smelled horrible. To each is own.
[quote]
On 2011-10-25 15:25, critter wrote:

Interesting... I never saw Chuck Testa's name mentioned in that post. Must be in the fine print.

[/quote]

Sorry, I don't get the Chuck Testa relevance?

Brian
Are you honestly asking or is this a trap to try and lure me back into your fight?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLq2-uZd5LY][img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_b3RtlJNXDaw/SxhQT0y2QlI/AAAAAAAAAGA/vYCrqw6DpvA/s320/sex+panther+cologne.jpg[/img][/url]
[img]http://sypulse.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/gas.png[/img]