(Close Window)
Topic: Derren Brown's The Devil's Picturebook
Has anyone seen this tape and if so can you tell me,

1.Has any of this material been covered in his books?
2.Is there other material of a similar nature that is recommended?
I have this video as well as both of his books, and I don't believe that any routines from Pure Effect are on the tape. In my opinion, this is a wonderful tape. My favorite, are his various handlings for a "thought of card" effect, especially the Invisable Deal.
Gregory,

Actually many effects from Pure effect appear on the video tape including those you just mentioned.

Kindest Regards,
George Tait
George,

You're right. It's been awhile since I've looked at the book, so I took it off the shelf and did fine those same routines. Although, I believe Derren includes more variations of his verbal card forces and thought of card routines on the tape. Plus, it's nice to actually see him perform these effects.
Any chance to be out in Dvd format?
I doubt it.

I would expect Derren to further distance himself from the magic community in the future as quite frankly, we are an embarrassment.

We spend a fortune on buying secrets and then spend a ridiculous amount of energy dismissing them as **** because most of the people who access this site are amateurs and don't understand the art of performing.

If Derren has any sense, he won't release any of his real work. And to answer the initial question, Devil's Picturebook contains most of the the main card effects revealed in Pure Effect.
My favorite thing on the tape has nothing to do with mentalism. I laughed out loud when I saw the card under box. Fantastic!
http://www.derrenbrown.co.uk/devil_private.asp
I believe that H&R magic books (who have just re-issued) "Absolute Magic" are negotiating with Derren to release "The Devils Picturebook" in DVD format. This may well be out before Christmas!
it's a good and refreshing video. get it.

WT
Martino, where did you find this info about H&R, I am really interested in the devils picture book... searching for it everywhere, cant seem to find it
It's an excellent tape - particularly the insights into his routining and patter. Get it.
To my mind, Derren is just miles ahead of just about everyone else. He's the one mind reader who actually pays attention to the process of reading minds! I suppose card folks can think of this as a tape of cool card tricks since it is, in some senses, indeed that; but it's so much more. For those interested in mentalism, however, it's a wonderful lesson in making mentalism credible. Even if you have Pure Effect, it's definitely worth getting the tape--you'll giggle with delight at what Derren gets away with.

Jack Shalom
Is it true that no more copies of this are being released? I went to Derren's website and although it was advertised and linked me through to the worldpay secure server, elsewhere on the site it said that no more copies were available. Did it mean no more copies after those available or no more copies were available now. It's just that I don't want to send my money to a dead link. If anybody knows, clarification would be welcome.

Thanks
I ordered the tape, went trough WorldPay payment procedure, which was succesfull... and in a few minutes had an e-mail, that stated the same information.

But further down it read:
"NB: This confirmation email is not an acceptance of your order and you cannot assume that a contract exists between yourself and Derren Brown for the sale of goods or services until Derren Brown specifically confirms it. It is Derren Brown's responsibility to confirm acceptance of your order and for delivery"

Guess I just have to wait and see.
I ordered and recieved my copy (via WorldPay) last month, so there shouldn't be a problem.

-- Frank
The Video is really brilliant.
I really really recommend it.
I normally hate learning from video's, as I prefere to read books, but this video is absolutely top notch.
The content is incredible and he tips some really good secrets on there.
It also goes as a perfect companion to the Pure Effect, as if you didn't understand something in print it is almost certainly taught on the video.
Get it.
Owen
Guess it's worth a try then. Hope you get yours Peo!

Merlin
[quote]
On 2003-11-17 23:30, merlin1979 wrote:
Guess it's worth a try then. Hope you get yours Peo!

Merlin
[/quote]
Still waiting.

Peo
Hi!
I can't but agree how briliant that video is. I bought it as soon as it was released and it's been one of my favorites since then. And yes, as Landmark said this video is much more than a bunch of cool card tricks. Derren Brown's way of presenting mentalism (even with cards) is brilliant and oozes with credibility. I didn't know it was so hard to get, but it's worth the wait.
Best,
Frank L. How long from when you ordered the video was it delivered. I just ordered mine this last weekend. It seems as is noted on the website that they are quite a few weeks out on shipping.

[quote]
On 2003-09-13 06:23, Martino wrote:
I believe that H&R magic books (who have just re-issued) "Absolute Magic" are negotiating with Derren to release "The Devils Picturebook" in DVD format. This may well be out before Christmas!
[/quote]

I contacted H&R Books in regard to this and got this reply:

TJ, our webmaster forwarded this to me. We are discussing this possibility with Derren. As publishers of his two books, PURE EFFECT and ABSOLUTE MAGIC, we do think there is a good chance he will release the video to us to issue in DVD format, but I cannot promise that it will happen... By the time it does, our website will be working again and you'll see mention of it there, as well as in advertising in LINKING RING, MAGIC and GENII...
Thanks for asking.
Richard

Richard Hatch
H & R Magic Books
3839 Liles Lane
Humble TX 77396-4088
As I recall, it only took a couple of weeks to get the video... but I really wasn't keeping track of time.

-- Frank
Ordered my copy 2 weeks ago - no sign yet (nor any confirmation of the order from Derren's site)
Ollason,
That makes a total of 6 weeks :idea:
Did you get payment confirmation from PayPal?
Last I checked the website said something to this effect:
"I know we're slow. Sorry. Don't bother hassling us until 4 weeks after your order."
Mine took a couple of weeks. I expect they're dealing with more orders than they were just lately.
[quote]
On 2003-12-02 04:19, guido wrote:
Ollason,
That makes a total of 6 weeks :idea:
[/quote]

Sorry for the multiple post - not sure how that happened.

Anyway,my copy of the video arrived last night about three weeks after ordering. Well worth the wait - and that judgement is based on one quick viewing of the first 4 routines. Excellent card work clearly explained with the psychological touches you'd expect from DB.
Ollason,

Are you in the USA? Cant find his video material anywheres here. May wait for H n R here in Texas to release the DVD version.

Wayne
Has the DVD been officially confirmed now?
My copy of the video has just arrived - the material I have only watched the first 3 card routine and I am more than happy with this purchase. He is a great teacher and has some great ideas.

It's paid for itself already and I have only seen the first 15 minutes

Cliff
I don't think that the DVD is confirmed. H&R said that it would be advertised in magic media if it goes through. Plus it would be on their website, which is still under some reconstruction.

I've seen the VHS on Ebay a couple of times.
[quote]
On 2003-12-04 21:32, sapolice wrote:
Ollason,

Are you in the USA? Cant find his video material anywheres here. May wait for H n R here in Texas to release the DVD version.

Wayne
[/quote]

Wayne
I'm in the UK and got the video from http://www.derrenbrown.co.uk
Finally got it! Happy dance!

:dancing:
I got mine today too! Just 15 days total from when I bought it! I figured it would be a heck of a lot longer.

:bigdance:

Well.. much to my chagrin my tape is faulty. Has video up until about 30 minutes of the tape and the rest is just audio. BUT... the customer service has been great so far. Got a quick response. They may be mailing out a replacement soon.
I remember my video taking a long-ish time and I am in the UK, so to all those waiting I just thought that this may put you at ease.
[quote]
On 2003-12-09 16:22, TJ Newton wrote:
Well.. much to my chagrin my tape is faulty. Has video up until about 30 minutes of the tape and the rest is just audio. BUT... the customer service has been great so far. Got a quick response. They may be mailing out a replacement soon.
[/quote]

Interestingly my copy was faulty too with two sections audio only and no picture. Likewise respose has been prompt and I've been promised a replacement tape to be sent immediately.
I have seen it...

its simply the best. :bluebikes:
I just haven't heard a confirmation whether or not they are going to send a replacement out. I inadvertantly deleted my order confirmation after I recieved the video. Possibly a lesson learned. I was able to give them information regarding credit card and dates... jut not the actual purchase confirmation number.

:bunny2:
Paul,

I don't know about offcially or not, but I met Derren Brown last weekend and somebody there asked him about the DVD plans and the answer was no, as yet.

Merlin
[quote]
On 2003-12-10 10:12, ollason wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Interestingly my copy was faulty too with two sections audio only and no picture. Likewise respose has been prompt and I've been promised a replacement tape to be sent immediately.
[/quote]

Pleased to say that my replacement copy arrived safely as promised, and is perfect. Very good customer service.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pleased to say that my replacement copy arrived safely as promised, and is perfect. Very good customer service.
[quote]
On 2003-12-15 04:46, ollason wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Last I heard they would be putting one in the mail. Probably mailed this week. Not bad customer service so far. :thumbsup:
JB Magic have copies of the devils picture book either ring or JBtv.com I saw them about a month ago whan I was in the shop
From a mentalists point of view its great...but if you like cards.if not there is not much point in buying it.
good luck.
hmk
Is there a trick on this tape where a card turns into rose petals?
Message: Posted by: david_a_whitehead (Jan 25, 2004 04:22PM)
Yes...zamiel's rose. very similar to his trick zamiel's card in pure effect.
Yes welschwizard, its called "Zamiels Card", what a beautiful effect!

Shahin
The card to rose effect is also described in Absolute Magic.. Not the Zamiels Card portion of it.. just the concept of the card to petals, the evolution and motivation of the idea, and a very nice presentation that frames the card to petals transformation in a meaningful context.
I think I may buy Absolute Magic. I didn't really enjoy pure effect much though. Thanks for the help.
You didn't enjoy Pure Effect? I'm shocked! It's hard to dislike Absolute Magic though, it's a brilliant book.
I loved pure effect, and absolute magic!

If the reason you didn't like pure effect was because you were expecting more effects in it (compared to some other books) then I can understand that. However personally I prefer it when a book only contain well thought out magic, and the author refrains himself from putting extra stuff in there just to fill the book up.

Absolute magic is all about derren's perception of magic, and his thoughts on how you should think about more than just technique and 'patter' to achieve what you ultimately want to in magic. There are no effects in the book, but there are presentation suggestions on numerous effects. So if you're looking for effects, then this probably isn't the book for you!

_______
Ben