(Close Window)
Topic: Crystal Vanish by Stephane Jardonnet and Olya Ovtenieva
Message: Posted by: Stephane Jardonnet (Nov 10, 2011 06:49AM)
Hi,

It's been sitting on my desk for the past 3 years, so I finally decided to record the video this afternoon.

The Gimmick : A pull device

The Challenge :

1/ Being able to show as cleanly as possible both sides of the hands totally empty before performing

2/ Sleeves are rolled

3/ Vanishing any objects, not only from the magician's hand, but also from the spectator's hand
4/ Being able to retrieve the object also very cleanly directly from your pocket.

Here is the first video :
http://youtu.be/Y5gEewdaWTE

Please, note that this is a pull device, and therefore, you are not supposed to repeat the trick twice in a row, because the second time, the spectator will be much more careful, and could eventually see the gimmick.

However, I can guarantee you that the trick work like a charm when you perform it for the first time, and it fools badly.

Also, the smaller the object, the easier of course.

More to come within the next day (More videos, more information)

I hope you'll like it :)

Sincerely,
Stephane Jardonnet.
Very nice!
I like it stephane.
kinda reminds me of the gecko though.
todd
Message: Posted by: Stephane Jardonnet (Nov 11, 2011 12:12AM)
Hi Todd,

You are right ! Gecko is a pull device. Raven is a pull device. The universal pull device is a pull device. No matter what type of pull you use, it will always be what it is : a pull device.

When I started magic, the raven was not existing, nor the gecko. I was using the universal pull to vanish a few objects from my hand, having to hold the device in my hand and trying to keep it natural.

Then the raven showed up. Great amelioration. Then the Gecko showed up : Even better.

Well, in this version, you can show both sides of your hand empty in a natural way, then perform the pull, sleeve rolled, even in the hand of the spectators, using an invisible pull, to perform a crystal clean vanish :)
I like it. Very nice that oyu can show both sides of your hands before and after the vanish. Nice job Stephane!
When is the release date?!
Wasn't that already released a while ago?
Ha stephane
I know with the raven you can show both sides
of your hands to be empty.does it work
in a different way?
todd
Those videos look edited. They jump at certain times. If I am wrong then you have created a device that looks like real magic.

This is nothing like the Gecko or Raven. Bowers, you obviously don't have either of those devices. Raven cannot show hands that clean and Gecko, well, just forget it. Very cramped hand positions.

If the videos are not edited during the vanish, it is seriously fantastic.
James
[quote]
On 2011-11-11 20:47, Xiqual wrote:
Those videos look edited. They jump at certain times. If I am wrong then you have created a device that looks like real magic.

This is nothing like the Gecko or Raven. Bowers, you obviously don't have either of those devices. Raven cannot show hands that clean and Gecko, well, just forget it. Very cramped hand positions.

If the videos are not edited during the vanish, it is seriously fantastic.
James
[/quote]

Confucius said: If pully hit your privates no good pully... ;)
Noise has got to be an issue with most of those larger items. It does look very impressive.
Looks like it might have potential but the over the shoulder camera shots of pulls in action are completely redundant-Better off with an honest front on view of what the spec would see.

Luke
[quote]
On 2011-11-12 08:54, LukeB wrote:
Looks like it might have potential but the over the shoulder camera shots of pulls in action are completely redundant-Better off with an honest front on view of what the spec would see.

Luke
[/quote]

I like to see that as well and in a medium shot not that close to the hand
Xiqual
evidently you don't have the raven.
because I can show front and back of the
hand in a natural way.but some [ maybe you ] I guess
might not be able too.
Message: Posted by: Stephane Jardonnet (Nov 13, 2011 04:16AM)
Hi James,

The video is not edited in any way. If it looks bumpy, it may come from Youtube maybe ?

As per the views, I have 4 different views on 6 effects :
- Top view for the deck vanish (By the way, the deck is brand new and full of cards)
- Spectator's view for the coin and the lighter. As you can see, nothing falls on the floor
- Side view for the jumbo coin and remote control
- Almost my view for the can

Now, just as per ANY pull device, it is not surround free. It has angles. I do not want too many people on my left, because it is harder not to flash in that angle. (I am right handed) I do not want anybody under me neither, because people will understand how it works. But in front of me, or anywhere on my right, it works just fine :)
The vanishes in the demo are not edited but when he pulls the ring
out of the pocket there is a jump.

For me would be relevant how easy the item can be retrieved, reproduced, detached from the
device.

Remember: If you make it vanish you also have to bring it back.
That's the hardest part...the prestige. ;)
Stephane
when will this be for sale.
and what will be the price of this product.
todd
Message: Posted by: Stephane Jardonnet (Nov 13, 2011 07:39PM)
Ok,

I have update the websites. You can find it on my personnal website, and since this is a co-production with Arteco Productions, it is also on their website :

http://www.jardonnet.com/crystal-vanish-by-stephane-jardonnet-and-olya-avtenieva.html
http://www.artecoproductions.com/crystal-vanish-by-stephane-jardonnet-and-olya-avtenieva.html

Here is the second video. I am considering doing it again, because I had to edit the retrieving from the pocket, therefore, I am not 100 % satisfied with that. Even though, it works exactly as you see, I know some of you will have doubts. The problem with me being in front of the camera is that I do not see what needs to be shot again. Beside, it was shot with only 1 cam, so I do not have the camera 2 as a back up if the camera 1 shot is bad...

What's interesting in this video though is that the sound is not edited in any way. You can hear the pull device in action. The device being very small, the object being small too, it is almost silent !

http://youtu.be/hdUT2G-5BuA
Stephane,

the video is clearly edited as you said and yes, I, for my part, have doubts because I have seen and bought so many awesome looking devices and tricks by 'unfortunately' solely judging them by a video performance. Once received they turned out to be trash. So yes, I am careful nowadays in what I invest my money in. Don't you agree?

So far I only own one effect of yours which is Signed & Sealed. The method is nothing new and revolutionary BUT I like your new discovery of how to seal the deck which resolved a crucial problem compared to other methods...
I think you are ethical but I have to see more of you...

As a professional you should know that even a ten year old catches that edit and for me it is clearly a turn off because it should not be there if the retrieval is 100% kosher.

Awaiting your new video....

respectfully,

Jan
LOL! I have all these:
Raven
Gecko
Asp
Universal pull
Dragon
Vernet holdout
Three Jack Miller holdouts
Black widow
python pull

You cannot show your hand as clean with the Raven. It still looks different than totally empty hands.

No edits? Wow, nice, how much and when?
James

[quote]
On 2011-11-13 01:08, bowers wrote:
Xiqual
evidently you don't have the raven.
because I can show front and back of the
hand in a natural way.but some [ maybe you ] I guess
might not be able too.
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: Stephane Jardonnet (Nov 13, 2011 10:09PM)
Hi Jan,

Thank you for the feedback on signed and sealed :)

As of today, I am behind a little less than 50 magic tricks. The one I sold the most being the Kaps on fire wallet, where the idea was to be able to show a regular wallet after burning it on fire. Some of the less popular probably being the burning credit card effect, or deckscape.

Technically, I always try to improve tricks to make them more practical. Crystal vanish is not a new method on how to retrieve the object that vanished.
I want to be clear on that subject. In the DVD, I explain a few methods that allows you to retrieve it quickly and efficiently in a natural way, but I believe these methods have probably been described elsewhere.

What's important to me in this pull device is the ability to show very clearly both sides of the hands before and after the vanish. This is so clean that it looks like real magic. I am very proud of it :)

Also, the DVD will teach some of the basics on using a pull device, which is also very important if not crucial.

If you buy a pull device, no matter how advanced it is, but do not know how to properly vanish the object, do not know your angles, do not know the timing or body position, you are going to say: whatever. This stuff doesn't work. As in fact, it's not the device that doesn't work, but the performer that doesn't know how to use it.

To me, it is even more important to learn some of the basics along with the purchase of the device. And that's what will come with it.

I will not place myself as a pull expert. I will only share my experience with it, and review the why it could go wrong using the video as a tool, and show some of the techniques I use to make it successful.

Also, I want to clarify another point: it is not self working. One will need at least 6 to 10 hours of practise to master the pull device and obtain an acceptable rate of success.

However, it works, and it works as described in the video demo, without any editing of any kind. I stand behind my product :)
Hi,

would love to see the audience view of these vanishes. they look great.

thanks
mac.
Don't know if it was just me but there seemed to be 1 or 2 flashes in the video ? Doesn't really matter tho as it wasn't from angles where audience would view,looks great overall .I wouldn't mind seeing what it could do showing both hands empty then vanishing an item from the performers own hands.

Luke
I guess it's a cross between Raven and Gecko..A Ravcko! ;)

Top is f....g line with tack instead of m....t and on the end is a gecko type pull. Still not sure though how that can be 100% invisible.

Good idea thou. That's how the Gecko should have been designed in the first place.

Problem with those devices is that you can't re-produce the item which is an important part for me plus
the get ready can't be done infront of the audience.

There is nothing like a good holdout but the decent ones cost a fortune and nowadays can't even be repaired.
Seen this Demo live, and it's as clean as a pull cab get. Showing both sides of your hands prior to the vanish, no suspicious moves, no ridicules finger positions. Clean open and natural. It has my vote for sure!
Is a clothing modification necessary to retrieve the ring from pocket like in the demo?

Thanks,
Mike
Message: Posted by: Stephane Jardonnet (Nov 22, 2011 01:44AM)
Hi Mike,

Yes, to retrieve the object you vanished, you need clothing modification. I explain how to do it in the DVD. It's easy, and take less than a minute. However, you may not want to do it as it alters your jacket forever. The choice is yours.

Sincerely,
Stephane.
[quote]
On 2011-11-22 02:44, Stephane Jardonnet wrote:
Hi Mike,

Yes, to retrieve the object you vanished, you need clothing modification. I explain how to do it in the DVD. It's easy, and take less than a minute. However, you may not want to do it as it alters your jacket forever. The choice is yours.

Sincerely,
Stephane.
[/quote]

Thank you :)

Mike
Stephane When will this be available to us suppliers?
Effects looks good! Not sure I see the difference between your empty hand move and the Raven's "Empty Hand Move". Both look good on video. Is your's different? If the same, in part or whole, are you aware The Raven "Empty Hand Move" is protected intellectual property, covered by two registered copyrights (instructions & Audio/Video filings). Do you credit them or did you contact them for permission? Ditto for the Gecko people for the aspects of your trick that appear to duplicate their methodology and handling?.....again protected by copyrights. Not sure why someone would need this if they already have a Raven & Gecko. I like the bigger item vanishes, but for smaller items, the Raven can't be beat for its visual vanish during a quick wave of the hand.
Message: Posted by: Stephane Jardonnet (Dec 21, 2011 10:12PM)
Hi Chuck, and thank you for asking !

Crystal Vanish does not use the raven Hook-up. It is a pull device, therefore, the only commun part might be 1 foot long : The black pull

I say only one foot, because the raven elastic is probably much longer than that, and in order to use Crystal Vanish, I modified the lengh of the pull to be able to perform with your sleeves rolled and not have to worry about flashing a big large black elastic thread.

But as far as I know, the black pull is also in use in the universal pull device, and was probably described in the Tarbell, and maybe also described in books from the 1800's or even older.

Please, note that I love the Raven. I believe that this was a major improvment in any pull device from the 90's, and I recommend any pull device user that want to vanish a metallic object to use the Raven first. No wonder why David Blaine used it in one of his first TV show.

Best regards,
Stephane.
"Video magic" at its best. Why the cut shot after going into the pocket? Does it take 5 minutes to get it off the pull? A lot of cheating zoom ins with the video, and I know it is tough to show an effect on video without misdirection. But why the cut shot at the pocket? That just tells me that you the object is tough to release.
[quote]
On 2011-11-12 08:54, LukeB wrote:

Luke
[/quote]

I thought that is how all audiences watch, they line up beind you and look over the shoulder?
Message: Posted by: Stephane Jardonnet (Dec 23, 2011 02:57PM)
Hi Sirbrad,

The reason why the video is edited while retrieving the ring from the pocket, is because I inadvertantly dropped it on the floor. It looks good for the Xmas outtakes, but for the video, I could have done better.

Now, I did not record 25 times the same trick in order to get a good one, but only 3 times, with only 1 camera. I would have had 2 camera, it would have been easier to edit. I kept that video so you can hear the sound of the object vanishing.

However, the point isn't there. When you receive the trick, you also receive a DVD that explains how to use a pull device, the basic techniques, the commun mistakes to avoid and so much more.

If you would have seen the DVD, you would not make that comment, because you can clearly understand how easy it is to retrieve any object from the pocket. As a matter of fact, I do 3 or 4 more demo inside the DVD, which each one were made on the first take...

Also, I cover in the DVD the angles of viewing, and I show a few front view on how to perform while facing a spectator. In the DVD, you will see the bad way to do it, and the good way to do it. The bad way : you flash the entire trick. The good way, the object vanishes :)

I believe that the gimmick improves any device on the market, and I think that the most important thing while having a DVD to explain how to do the trick, should also explain the basic techniques on how to use a pull device. Therefore, the object you vanish does not end up on the floor, it does not make a crazy noise while vanishing, and your angles are covered !

Sincerely,
Stephane.
This looks quite good and it sounds like Stephane has put a lot of thought into the DVD, but I agree with the others that I'd like to see an unedited video from the spectators' viewpoint. I'd really love to hear a review from those who've purchased it already. Was much jacket modification needed? Can it be done with a vest? Can the (assumed) hook up to the hand be done one-handed? Can it be reset in the open?

- Frank
OK guys- I got this and have to say what Stephane is reporting is true. OK, what you get is all the material needed to construct your device and the DVD. First, the construction of the device is very simple. Now- I know some feel that when you purchase something- everything should come completed and set-up. I also understand that there are those of us who do not like arts & crafts and to make/build things. I am one of them. Though, I see why Stephane did this- it's a pull device that has to be customized to your size and honestly, the set-up may take 10 minutes at most. Stephane gives very good instructions throughout the process. Though, as I previously mentioned- it is not a knuckle-buster set up. As for the device- I like it and will use it. Why do I like it? First, if you follow Stephanes instructions on using the device, nothing should break. Though, since you construct everything, if anything should break, you will know how to fix it. And the only thing that could break can be found and purchased easily. As for the clothing modification to retrieve the object, this is not difficult and you will still be able to use your coat/pocket normally. Again, Stepane gives very good instructions on the DVD to accomplish this. Though again, this is not difficult at all. When vanishing larger objects, Stephane explains on the DVD what other modification you should do to prevent exposure. This is not hard to do. I posed a question to him about what he suggests on the DVD to use and if you want to continue to perform other tricks. I was worried that this would be exposed to the spectators. Stephane replied and suggested another accessory to use in place of what he suggested on the dvd which would not be noticed and still accomplish the task. He told me where to get a good one and at a good price.

My favorite feature of the Crystal Vanish is how you truly can have your sleeves rolled up and show the front and back of both hands before the vanish without exposing anything! I am assuming that is why it was called The CRYSTAL vanish. This is a true statement and can be accomplished. As far as angles- Stephane covers and explains positioning of your body in full detail. He explains when the device might be exposed and obviously what is the best positioning to be in when performing it. I think the angles are pretty good with this. There is really only one bad angle, and even at this angle depending on how close the specs are to you- you may get away with it.

The retrieval of the object once vanished will not take 5 minutes as someone previously posted. You can reach directly into your pocket and remove it fairly smoothly.

All in all- my first impressions for this are good. I want to test it out in the real world and give it the wife test and then I will post again.

Happy Vanishing!

RNK
Stephane blew me away with his presentation of Crystal Vanish at a private event. As a past creator of my own PD "The Dragon" this is the cleanest vanish of any PD out period! His sleeves rolled, fingers splayed open, no suspicious moves, no awkward hand movements, both sides of each hand clean, and then bam an exremely silent instant vanish, and then a clean retrieval.

Other pulls on the market are now simply obsolete, I give credit to Stephane for solving what all of them have tried to accomplish. An effective and clean vanish. Clearly, it's different then anything else out there we can see that in the presentation with both sides of the hand in a natural position empty and clean. It's no wonder other types of this device are quivering in there creative shoes, as PD's stand this is a crystal clear choice.
1. Is it possible using this gimmick along with Pure Smoke gimmick. I would like to create magical moment with smoke rather than "fast vanish". But I don't know wheter these two gimmick can be worn at the same time or not?

2. Is it something like "Gecko" or totally different?

3. and is it possible that we can show both hands "empty" to more than 3 person in a group or do we have to show it on "one on one" person?

Hope someone could answer my questions.
Message: Posted by: Stephane Jardonnet (Jan 12, 2012 04:53PM)
Hi,

1/ I do not have Pure smoke, so it is hard for me to tell you if you can combine both items at the same time. However, I like the idea :)

2/ I do not want to compare Gecko, vs, Raven, vs Crystal Vanish. Each ones have their plus and minus. All of them are pull device though, so this is what they have in commun.

3/ Yes, you can show your hands empty while being surrounded.

Sincerely,
Stephane.
With the growing popularity of this device I picked up several dozen for a promo this week. Learn how you can get this awesome effect Crystal Vanish free this week only by visiting my blog.
Is this a one on one effect? How well will it work with an audinece watching sitting and the performer standing as muost shows go.

or is it designed for one on one , small groups like when strolling?
Is Stephane around these days? I didn't get a resposne from email or PM and am having some problems with the gimmick / technique.

@Powermagic, you should be able to do it with small groups, though there can be angle issues on one side, just like any other pull.

- Frank
OK. I'm sold! You can get it now, here:

http://www.nexusmagicstore.com/crystal-vanish-stephane-jardonnet.html

Now...waiting for payday! :)

Doug
[quote]
On 2012-01-24 16:24, Frank L. wrote:
Is Stephane around these days? I didn't get a resposne from email or PM and am having some problems with the gimmick / technique.

@Powermagic, you should be able to do it with small groups, though there can be angle issues on one side, just like any other pull.

- Frank
[/quote]

Agree- you definatley can do this with a group, just have to be concerned with the one side. And Stephane goes over this is good detail on the DVD.

RNK
@FrankL PM Stephane. . . I'm sure he will answer you he has been very helpful with me in the past. Or PM me I can assist I have one it's a little tricky to set-up the first time, but do it once and you are all set. He explains the set up and use really well in the DVD so if you haven't watched that then definately pop that bad boy in. It's detailed....
Stephane did get back to me and mentioned he's going to try to release a little extra information to address my (hook-up) question. He didn't say exactly how he'd post it, but it'd be for people who bought the product already. I presume he'll make a page on his site password protected or something.

- Frank
[quote]
On 2012-01-25 09:58, RNK wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-01-24 16:24, Frank L. wrote:

- Frank
[/quote]

Agree- you definatley can do this with a group, just have to be concerned with the one side. And Stephane goes over this is good detail on the DVD.

RNK
[/quote]

@Frank - Stephane will help you out he is good that way.

@RNK Your right really only one angle to watch for. I'm super impressed with this technique and hook-up. As far as pulls go, this is worth every penny.
Could anyone please comment on how quick/easy the 'get ready' is?
Thanks
Very quick and easy.

RNK
Thanks RNK, that's good to know.
Hi may I know as a beginner with using such devices, is it suitable to get this crystal vanish? does anyone who has similar devices such as raven, gecko able to advise? Thanks!
This looks really good Stephane.

Can Crystal Vanish be used as a clean-up device for T&R or Bill Changes? Can it be used to invisibly and cleanly switch one object for another?

Regards,

Laurence.
If you are a beginner- this would be fine. It's very easy to work. Any first timer would be able to do this and it would look great.

RNK
Hi, may I know if there are any clothing requirements for this effect? can it be done just wearing a long sleeve shirt over a tshirt instead of wearing a blazer?
[quote]
On 2012-02-23 01:14, setsuna83 wrote:
Hi, may I know if there are any clothing requirements for this effect? can it be done just wearing a long sleeve shirt over a tshirt instead of wearing a blazer?
[/quote]

No.. You have to wear some type of blazer/jacket. Though, you could wear just a long sleeve shirt unbuttoned over another shirt. Though, you wouldn't be able to retrieve the object if you do it that way. Well, actually you could but it would require a little more misdirection.

Best,
RNK
The method for showing your hands was already developed with the Raven.
Looks nice though.
?? You are unable to show your hands both sides with the raven (after hook up) as you can with Crystal Vanish.
[quote]
On 2012-02-23 15:00, PRINCE wrote:
?? You are unable to show your hands both sides with the raven (after hook up) as you can with Crystal Vanish.
[/quote]

I thought the same thing. Overall, this is much better than the Raven. Of course depends on what you are using it for, but I feel in general - the CV is a much better choice.
[quote]
On 2012-02-23 15:00, PRINCE wrote:
[/quote]

Yes you are able too. There is a rotation maneuver taught, I believe on the DVD, that allows you to show your hands front and back.

This video shows a couple different ways, though not the most subtly executed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py9qc_nFLEY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I own a Raven and have used it for many years. And I will continue to use it. The hook up on CV was originally developed for The Dragon and is a far superior hookup for overall control. Which allows for a much natural means of showing both sides of your hands even with rolled sleeves while hooked up. That's the clear difference, and why CV stands alone.

Also, you can perform this with a Vest or over shirt. Though with the over shirt best to vanish your own items for retrieval reasons.
Message: Posted by: Stephane Jardonnet (Mar 15, 2012 10:49PM)
Hi Laurence,

Yes, you can use CV for a switch or a T&R. The only technical issue IMO is to load CV while holding performing another trick in the mean time. It is easier to arrive with the CV gimmick ready to perform, rather than trying to load it in the middle of another performance.
I will make a new video, free to watch, to propose answers on how to do that. I will probably post that video by this summer though.
Is this actually available?
Yes, Stephane posted links on the first page of this thread.
Thanks Gene!
Message: Posted by: Stephane Jardonnet (Apr 17, 2012 08:14PM)
Actually, I made a small gimmick with a very short DVD to be able to load Crystal Vanish at any time in your performance.

The gimmick will stay in place during your act, ready to perform.

As soon as you want to load yourself, without looking at it, and in a fraction of seconds, you can be loaded and ready to do CV.

More information here :
http://www.artecoproductions.com/crystal-vanish-holder-by-stephane-jardonnet.html
http://www.jardonnet.com/crystal-vanish-holder-by-stephane-jardonnet1.html
Will this be carried by Murphy's so U.S. shops get it?
Message: Posted by: Stephane Jardonnet (Apr 17, 2012 09:19PM)
No, however, it will be carried by Fun Inc, so that the US shop can get it :)