(Close Window)
Topic: The real mans wallet.
Hi , I received my the real mans wallet today. The one by Steve Draun. I read the add reviews and it made it sound really good. I mean , it is alright but I don't think its as good as the add makes it out to be? I don't really find the loading system brilliant to be really honest? It can be very hard to load it where it should be as opposed to the middle of the wallet or down either side. What are others opinions on this? Does anyone work it?
I agree, not easy to load the card. I will use as my everyday wallet and maybe for Kolossal Killer.
Yeah, I will most probably use it as my everyday wallet. And if I really want to Maybe use it , I guess I can. If I have the wallet in my back jeans pocket and place the selected card there secretly , I think maybe If I have a spectator shuffle the cards and look at the backs theres enough emphasis on them to load the card manually then? But, I have a good 5 or so Impromptu routines , completely in the hands with no set-up anyway. I guess its nice to have as an option though.
I had ir many years ago when it first came out, it was great, but it did not take long for others to come up with far better designs and better overall quality, but again, for it's day, it was a good workable product.

Dave
We already know that typical ad copy is usually a bit exaggerated.

Also, the Café is famous for people buying 1 thing and writing "This is the BEST" even tho it's the only one they've ever tried.
Everybody loves to "chime in" with irresponsible info to look knowledgeable no matter how little 411 they have on the subject.

You're probably a victim of both.
Let me respectfully disagree. Check out this video, I'm linking two points specifically where a card is loaded into a Real Man's Wallet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=-ik7qzhXOBQ#t=125s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=-ik7qzhXOBQ#t=337s

Whatever you think of the routines, you'll agree that the card [i]can[/i] in fact be loaded quickly, invisibly, and smoothly. So, it's a matter of practice and the right technique, I think. I'm not there yet, by a long shot, but I don't think it's the wallet's fault. I have noticed, however, that actually using it as your everyday wallet makes the loading easier.

It easier to load if you wear your wallet in the front pocket of your pants, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C_BWwVBJHGY#t=312s

Hope this helps!
Luigi
I've used this wallet for a couple of years and I've never had a problem loading the card.
It might just be getting the knack.

John
It's never the arrow...is it?
Message: Posted by: Aaron Smith Magic (Nov 11, 2011 11:37AM)
I've had no serious problems loading it. I use my driver's license as the slide. At first it was awkward going from a Balducci type wallet to the Real Mans, but after a bit it all worked out. If it's taking you a bit, use some misdirection and do it on the offbeat. Cause a card to change in the spectators hands, so while they're reacting to that, load the wallet. After a while of that, you'll get the load down.
I've been using this for quite a few years and have not had any problems loading. I think it's great...I think I said it then and I'll say it, again, now. Mostly, I use a two step procedure (only because for the routine I use, I don't' remove the wallet immediately. After I palm off the signed card (on an offbeat), I load the card just into the top of the slide. When I go to take out the wallet, I push the card the rest of the way down.
That said, if necessary, the wallet can be loaded and removed in one step.
I've stopped considering any other wallet than this.

patrick
Currently I don't actually use a slide, is it far easier with it? If its just a matter of practice loading it into the wallet without that's the route I'd rather go.
I'd definitely use a slide,you'll find it much easier.
[quote]
On 2011-11-10 21:35, ilmungo wrote:
Let me respectfully disagree. Check out this video, I'm linking two points specifically where a card is loaded into a Real Man's Wallet:

Whatever you think of the routines, you'll agree that the card [i]can[/i] in fact be loaded quickly, invisibly, and smoothly. So, it's a matter of practice and the right technique, I think. I'm not there yet, by a long shot, but I don't think it's the wallet's fault. I have noticed, however, that actually using it as your everyday wallet makes the loading easier.

It easier to load if you wear your wallet in the front pocket of your pants, like this:

Hope this helps!
Luigi
[/quote]

Thanks for the links. Great magic. Love his style. Jonathan load the card very fast but I read that he made some modification on the wallet. I will try talk with him about that.
[quote]
On 2011-11-11 15:26, helder wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-11-10 21:35, ilmungo wrote:

Hope this helps!
Luigi
[/quote]

Thanks for the links. Great magic. Love his style. Jonathan load the card very fast but I read that he made some modification on the wallet. I will try talk with him about that.
[/quote]

Yes I remember that as well, that he modified the wallet. I'd be interested regarding the results of your conversation with him. He no longer posts here on the Café. He has an awesome CLassic Pass as well.
The Royal Card to Wallet is cheaper and much easier to load.
I like this wallet. I made an acrylic card that is the right width to stay stuck out but also slide back in. This is easy to load and works great. I like the "no nonsense" aspect of this one.
I'm curious about the people who said that there are other wallets with better loading "technology" and/or better quality: what do you think makes them better?
Luigi
In my opinion, better loading means "no guide necessary, easier to load". as far as I can tell, they're all about the same quality-wise.
Well I'm happy with this now. As opposed to a card in wallet I used it as a signed coin to wallet. Worked well.
Got this a few weeks ago and have switched to using this as my primary wallet. The quality is great and it really looks like a wallet - crazy, no? I have yet to perform with it, but I've been practicing the load and I'm not having any problems with it. If you are looking for a nice everyday wallet that can double as a CTW, I would recommend this.
I had one when Steve first put it out and I really could not get the hang of the load. My main every day go to wallet is the Mesika, and when I'm wearing a jacket, I use the LePaul wallet made by Frank Starsnic.
I have to agree that I've also had trouble with this wallet. Although, as mentioned above, it looks so good that I just use it as my everyday wallet.

As it sits below the pocket line in my jeans, it's hard to load without the using the slide. But the slide tends to fall back in a bit after I've dug it out in prep.

Seeing the excellent video clip above inspires me to give another go...
Just a note ....I have used this wallet for years....It never fails me .....smooth loading easy display ...never questioned......the very best....I have lots of others in the drawer......
Ps talking about the real mans wallet .....thanks ...jimmycccccc
Damian,
Yes, the wallet does fall below the pocket line of the pants; however, I've had all of my left side rear suit pants pockets sewn so it's only about 2/3's the depth they normally would be. Or, just put a deck of cards at the bottom of your pocket and have the wallet sit on top of the card box. this raises the wallet above the pocket opening.
patrick
Check out Mesika's Wallet (card to wallet). I love how easy this is to load and the cover you have to do so. I post the link here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S3560
The Royal is similar but even better than the Mesika.
The problem of having the slide falling back into the wallet is very easy to prevent.

As you prepare the slider by pulling it out, just push it back a tiny bit at a firm angle, the slider then gets stuck between the fabric/leather layers off the wallet.

This doesn't affect the loading, besides try to load it while carrying the wallet in your inner jacket pocket, it works great for me!
Thanks for the tips, Patrick and Houtjes. Good stuff, I'll give it another go.
Aside from the fact the wallet is so practical as your everyday wallet, you have a lovely little clear window that displays things....let's think about that for a moment. If you are handing out a signed card or whatever you load into the wallet, you are left with an empty black background once the item has been removed. Yes, if you made a black slider then it would be 'invisible' however, what about using that space to your advantage in two ways:

1. Use your business cards in the loading section. Have one protruding out at all times for easy loading and
2. When you give out the card/item, you are left with your corporate brand staring them right in their faces.

If you use this as a finisher (and I have many a time) your audience will be desperate to take a card from you.

This idea is not original in the slightest. I just read the booklets from cover to cover. I tend to do this initially then go out and perform it (after mastering the moves in private of course) then refer back to the handling maybe about 2 weeks later. You always find some little 'niggly' detail you forgot about.

Stick with it. It was my first card-to-wallet that I bought. I have bought others and I still take this bad boy out with me on occasion. Great in night club. It doesn't look too 'odd' or too suspicious for the younger generation to carry this around.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.
LMLMagic beat me to it. I was going to say I use my business card as a guide. I make sure the card goes behind my card, so when you open the flap to reveal the card. They first see my business card, and A playing card behind it. At this point my card is covering their signature. So you can build on the suspense a little longer. Plus you can give them your card as well.

Best,
Joe
I was the designer of the Real Mans wallet. It worked fine. The tolerances are tight because that is how Steve wanted it. But mechanically it works fine, Since then I have made a lot of other bill fold type loaders and a few breast pocket types.

The latest is the Badger. It is a breast pocket Mullica/le paul combo. It has been well received.

The purpose of the Real Mans wallet (and ALL of my designs) is to look like a normal ungaffed wallet... NOT a prop.

Hope that helps...

Tony
Any opinions on the O'Connell hip pocket with the same loading idea as his Plus wallets?
I find the real man's wallet is good but the card gets stuck on the farthest plastic Window edge. How do you get around this?
I bought a notepad that had a thick black plastic cover and just cut slides from it for putting in the wallet. This allows me to easily slide the card into the wallet, and the black slide also is hidden when I open the wallet.

In saying that I've stopped using the real mans wallet and have gone back to using the Mesika wallet instead. I like how the card appears folded in the zipper compartment, and its a lot easier for me to load the card directly into the wallet (plus the MC fold is better hidden) only downside is that I ruin a card everything I do the effect but its no big deal, there are still tons of tricks you can do with a deck of around 25+ cards
No real poblems when I have a slide....but I would prefer not to have a slide. For my jacket wallet I use a Jerry O Connell, for jeans the real man's.
I've used the real man's wallet for many years now. I'm actually on my third because I use it as my regular wallet. Whenever I get a new one it is a bit tight pushing in the card, but after a month of use, the card slides in smoothly. I had a number of wallets previous to this one and I've found the real man's wallet to be the most "normal" looking and the easiest to work with. By the way, for those who like to do the mercury fold, the card is super easy to load that way. This wallet gives you the choice. There are very few "props" that have lasted through my years of doing restaurant table hoping magic and corporate strolling; and this is one of the select few.
IF you make a playing card size slide out of clear plastic it works OK. My new one did not come with it.
I don't like the business card idea. I never give out a business card unless I'm ask; and then I have a different method.
I find it really difficult to push the card in one move, the wallet goes deep in the pocket...or the card doesn't go full inside..
If anyone could help me with a pm, or here, I will really appreciate it.
Many thanks.
[quote]On Jul 20, 2015, Juliano wrote:
I find it really difficult to push the card in one move, [b]the wallet goes deep in the pocket[/b]...or the card doesn't go full inside..
[/quote]

Place a wadded handkerchief in the bottom of your pocket.
When I push it in the card is still level with the top of the wallet, its only as I bring it around to the front that my index finger finishes pushing it all the way in
Thanks guys! Iam still working on it.
The Real Man's Wallet is definitely my favorite so far. I thought the load was a little tough at first too but not only with practice is it easier but It also stretches out, making it natural easier. The only complaint I have is how low quality the Leather I. I use I as an every day wallet and within a months time, the wear was apparent on the flap where the leather folds I peels along the edge. However it didn't progressively get too much worse. Just worn around two creases and its kinda held at bay for the past year or so.
I personally think loading the JOL hip wallet is much easier although not as good as the old original but especially easy if its from the back pocket and even if you don't load it fully the hand covers any discrepancies as you remove the wallet so it can still be seen on both sides...plus no slide required.

On a side note does anyone know why Royal magic stop making their version of card to hip wallet ?
[quote]On Aug 6, 2015, warren wrote:

On a side note does anyone know why Royal magic stop making their version of card to hip wallet ? [/quote]

Because it was terrible?
That's just one opinion there are plenty who were big fans of the royal magic wallet lol
That's just one opinion there are plenty who were big fans of the royal magic wallet lol [/quote]

They were big fans because it was cheap.

Try removing an unfolded card from the zippered compartment.

At the very least, the zipper will scratch the edge of the card.
Don't you give the signed card away anyway.......always positive lol
[quote]On Jul 23, 2015, Zephury wrote:
The Real Man's Wallet is definitely my favorite so far.[/quote]

What others have you owned? (just curious)
The real man's wallet does present the problem of 'easy' load due to the size of the wallet and it's height placement, especially in the back pocket. The closed flap, which ultimately contains the transposition/palmed card insert, can be accessed more easily by placing your driver's license in the closed flap - this acts as a perfect slide for the gambler's cop or palm-off. Best to all who live in the realm of entertainment and puzzles.
I personally think loading the JOL hip wallet is much easier although not as good as the old original but especially easy if its from the back pocket and even if you don't load it fully the hand covers any discrepancies as you remove the wallet so it can still be seen on both sides...plus no slide required.

On a side note does anyone know why Royal magic stop making their version of card to hip wallet ? [/quote]

IMHO the JOL is way easier to load than the real man's wallet. Looks more like a normal wallet as well. Part of the problem with a lot of hip wallets is they slide down too deep in the back pocket. The JOL solved that issue. I know the JOL costs more but it is worth it for a speedier load and more normal looking wallet in my opinion.
Paul, which wallet from JOL, as I am not familiar with their products .

Thx. Dave
I was referring to the JOL hip wallet.

http://www.propdog.co.uk/jerry-o-connell-london/jerry-o-connell-hip-wallet
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S7945

Another benefit of this wallet is the card comes out of a zippered compartment not some strange looking flap pocket that you don't see inside a normal man's bifold.
Thanks Paul, your advice and information has always been great over the years I trust it will be this time as well so I went ahead and ordered it just now. Best regards Dave
Can anybody tell me if it lasts very long before starts getting messy? As an everyday wallet it must stand up to more wear and tear so should be designed with this in mind. Iv seen n felt two versions n Draun one does feel cheaper. Can anybody advise rough life span of one?
[quote]On Jun 23, 2019, colin underwood wrote:
Can anybody tell me if it lasts very long before starts getting messy? As an everyday wallet it must stand up to more wear and tear so should be designed with this in mind. Iv seen n felt two versions n Draun one does feel cheaper. Can anybody advise rough life span of one? [/quote]

I use the Draun RMW as my everyday wallet and am on my second one, with each lasting at least couple of years of every day use before looking really tired. I've had a Jol hip/bill fold which was two big and bulky for me and a few Royals which were very good, but definitely worked best with a folded card (a full card can be awkward).
Charlie
[quote]On Jun 23, 2019, colin underwood wrote:
Can anybody tell me if it lasts very long before starts getting messy? As an everyday wallet it must stand up to more wear and tear so should be designed with this in mind. Iv seen n felt two versions n Draun one does feel cheaper. Can anybody advise rough life span of one? [/quote]
Been using mine and carrying it as an everyday since..I think 2011. Works and looks just great.
Mine lasted 5 years of daily use and one washing.