(Close Window)
Topic: Tango Ultimate Reel
Anyone know about this? Just received a YouTube link from WMS. Might be pretty nice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFa2_zMZW18&feature=uploademail

Here's the pitch.

Throughout the years top quality reels have been expensive and difficult, if not impossible, to obtain. Marcelo Insua a.k.a Mr. Tango has worked for years to examine the best attributes of past reels and combine those with brand new ideas and technology to bring you one of the best reels ever created to the magic market. The Tango Ultimate Reel, designed for working professionals, is high quality, affordable, dependable and designed for quick and easy adjustment or replacement of the thread. Never again will you have to get rid of your reel because the thread was cut and it will take only minutes to be fixed. T.U.R. was conceived as a reel to be used for many years.

The Tango Ultimate Reel comes with a DVD that explains how to quickly and easily take apart the reel to replace the thread as well as instructions for visual and very commercial routines that you can perform in close up, parlor or stage magic.

Tango is a name associated with the highest quality craftsmanship, so if you are looking for a precision tooled, high quality, dependable yet affordable reel, you want the Tango Ultimate Reel (T.U.R.)

Cheers!
Sammy
I am interested in this as well. it is listed at $89.00 at Murphy's for pre order but there is no release date

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=48220

Thanks
I would also like to know when this comes out
Anything on this yet?
Smoothness, speed, sound, strength, etc.?
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Locking?
Hello friends,

The reel was introduced 10 days ago, but we only send a few quantity to Murphys, in the next weeks you will see the product at the magic stores
Mr. Tango,
First, to be honest, I feel that in the past the quality of Tango products was really lacking and I think others would agree. However, I've noticed a strong effort to get the train back on track. I appreciate those efforts and now I wouldn't hesitate to purchase your products as long as I have enough information on them before buying.

More to the point, I'm glad you've decided to put this reel on the market, but it is a substantial amount to spend on a reel and I do have questions just like Slyhand's above post:

Smoothness, speed, sound, strength, etc.? especially in comparison to reels produced in the past? Please comment on these points.

Thanks,
Dave
I have used a Kirkendall Reel and now the Tango Reel. The Tango Reel is very smooth, fast, quiet and strong.

It is larger than the Kirkendall, lacks a finger clip and is black rather than flesh colored but I don't count either as a problem.

It is decidedly easier to change thread on the Tango as opposed to the Kirkendall. Having said all this, I like and use both reels.

Andre
I only have inexpensive reels to compare this against, which could no be repaired. But so far I am impressed.
It is larger that I expected but as Andre pointed out not a big deal, It was pretty easy to take apart and put together back again. It is also quiet.
The companion DVD talks about the reel having two O rings, one that can be used as a break, but mine only came with one. DVD offers a few uses and some tips.

Carlos
Could someone post the diameter of the reel and also how long the thread can extend from the reel. I've been using the Kirkendall for many years for the Serpent Silk. The silk I have is 30". As such I need a certain length of line to be able to have the silk hang down properly after the knot has been tied.

Cheers,
Chris
Diameter 1.5 "

Length 45"

Chappelly
I personally have never had any quality problems with the Tango products that I have purchased. I am looking forward to seeing this new reel on the market. I ordered june tonight and will give it a workout when it comes. My go-to reels have always been P&L.
I received my reel yesterday. I am VERY impressed with the thinking that has gone into the design and manufacturing process. It is quality all the way. The DVD offers great instruction in taking the reel apart, servicing it, changing the thread and changing the tension takeup speed. There is even a way it can function as a locking reel. I have ordered a diamond cut 36" silk to use with it to do the vanishing knot and the penetration effect. If you are in the market for a fine reel - you might give this one a look.
[quote]
On 2012-01-13 10:20, rhettbryson wrote:
I received my reel yesterday. I am VERY impressed with the thinking that has gone into the design and manufacturing process. It is quality all the way. The DVD offers great instruction in taking the reel apart, servicing it, changing the thread and changing the tension takeup speed. There is even a way it can function as a locking reel. I have ordered a diamond cut 36" silk to use with it to do the vanishing knot and the penetration effect. If you are in the market for a fine reel - you might give this one a look.
[/quote]

Let us know how it works wih the silk.
Friends I just can say that I worked one year to design the reel I hope you like it
Hello All:

To those who have purchased and experimented with this reel, would it be possible to alter it from it's condition upon arrival to make it a slow-takeup locking reel? By this I mean I'd like the speed of the reel to be SLOW (odd, I know), and have the extended thread lock in place based on a pressure system (So I could depress the button to initiate the takeup).

Also, if the reel were altered in this way, would its slow and locking characteristics hold for multiple uses? If I were to take up all the thread and then pull it back out, would the following takeup be the same speed and have the same locking ability?

Thanks for your help, guys!

Evan
Anyone else have this and would like to comment on it?
I have it and love it.

It works perfectly for silk through mic stand and I have given it quite a workout since I received it.

Still works fine.

Andre above has summed it up well.

Chappelly
Thanks. I ordered this and will post a review after testing it.
[quote]
On 2011-12-28 12:08, Andre Hagen wrote:
I have used a Kirkendall Reel and now the Tango Reel. The Tango Reel is very smooth, fast, quiet and strong.

It is larger than the Kirkendall, lacks a finger clip and is black rather than flesh colored but I don't count either as a problem.

It is decidedly easier to change thread on the Tango as opposed to the Kirkendall. Having said all this, I like and use both reels.

Andre
[/quote]

I don't like finger clips, I removed mine from the kirkendall, I had. If I do go with one these, that's just one less thing for me to do.
I also was the proud owner of a Kirkendall, I've bought many since, and they just don't measure up for one reason or other. So, I am very happy for this release! Silk Thru Mic Stand was my main use for the reel.

Doug
I have spent some time with the reel and DVD and am pleased. The DVD spends time going through the complete operations of the reel including taking the reel apart and putting it back together. Once you have viewed the DVD you can be confident in the workings and repair/adjustment of the reel if it ever needs any work. The instruction of the effects is clear and concise. A well thought out product which should provide some very strong magic. I have not yet had an opportunity to perform with this utility device but am looking forward to doing so in the near future.
I wish it were faster for Dougini's reason.
I just recently got the Tango Ultimate Reel. For the Silk Thru Microphone it seems a little slow. I wonder if others who have it have felt the same.
If you shorten the string would it make it fast to perform the STM?
Am curious how others have felt about it. thank you.
Steve,

I donít have this particular reel, but with every reel I have used a shorter line length is always faster in retracting. It's a known trade-off with any reel: you can lengthen the line but you get slower retrieval. Shorten the line and it gets quicker. I donít know if the Tango reel's line length can be easily changed by the user, but if it is then you can experiment to find the best balance between line length and retraction speed.

Jim
Thanks Jim,
That was what I was thinking but this is my first reel. With the Tango he provides a DVD in which he goes to great length in showing how to take it apart and replace the line if necessary. So as you said find that right balance with length and retraction speed.
It isn't the [b][i]LENGTH[/b][/i] of the line, it's the [b][i]TENSION.[/b][/i]

Of course, making the tension stronger will shorten the line length a bit...:)
Ya know, I was wondering if a couple of paper discs made from a playing card, and lubed with Hoppe's Gun Oil would make a difference? My Kirk' was set up with those. Just a thought...
Hey chappelly, what is on the end of the line?How are you attaching your silk,and have you a vid showing stms .
thanks Jon.
I have been working on stms with a lighter leash,it seems to work fine but is way to noisy,a tango reel might be the go.
hrer it is with the lighter leash.
http://youtu.be/rFvsTGSsfdA
Hi Jon,there is a stopper and an o ring for the silk to be knotted onto.I haven't got a vid.

The Tango works very smoothly. There is a slight bit of noise but I have used it close up with a ring from a linking ring set.No problem.

Chappelly
Thanks.
My Tango reel came in the mail today Yeh Haaa!
Along with my Extractor gold and a new Ultimate dancing cane.
Life is good
There's DVD'S TO WATCH AND PRACTICE AFOOT.
Great . Let's know what you think of the reel.
No complainst about this reel,it's great and I love the thumb brake.
Ordered one... I've had almost every reel made... will see how this compares.
Am interested to see what you think Pete.

This is first real reel that I have had.

The others have been El Cheapos.

I reckon this one is great.

Chappelly
I have Todd Lassen reel from few years ago. It is a real treasure. He doesn't make them anymore (at least I don't think he does) and it is such a pitty because it is an ULTIMATE REEL IMHO. I purchased Tango and it ok but it is like nght and day in comperison with Lassen's. However, price is like night and day when you compare both (Lassen being of course a lot more expensive). Just my two cents!
Mine snapped last night while working a concert . Embarrassing!!!!!
I envy you. Anything Lassen is golden. Tango's reel is the best reel I have owned, Quick,quiet and therubber wheel part is a brilliant idea.
I love mine.
James

[quote]
On 2012-12-22 03:14, aceofspades71 wrote:
I have Todd Lassen reel from few years ago. It is a real treasure. He doesn't make them anymore (at least I don't think he does) and it is such a pitty because it is an ULTIMATE REEL IMHO. I purchased Tango and it ok but it is like nght and day in comperison with Lassen's. However, price is like night and day when you compare both (Lassen being of course a lot more expensive). Just my two cents!
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2012-04-09 01:05, J-Mac wrote:
Steve,

I donít have this particular reel, but with every reel I have used a shorter line length is always faster in retracting. It's a known trade-off with any reel: you can lengthen the line but you get slower retrieval. Shorten the line and it gets quicker. I donít know if the Tango reel's line length can be easily changed by the user, but if it is then you can experiment to find the best balance between line length and retraction speed.

Jim
[/quote]

I have the same feeling! The tension is strong but it is a little slow. I haven't use it silk (18") thru mic or arm, because the tension is to strong. I have to say the swedisch reel is better. You feel no tension and its really fast.
I use my TUR for stealing and that works good for me. I have now idea how can make it practical for the 'mic'
[quote]
On 2012-04-17 18:45, Dougini wrote:
Ya know, I was wondering if a couple of paper discs made from a playing card, and lubed with Hoppe's Gun Oil would make a difference? My Kirk' was set up with those. Just a thought...
[/quote]

To Dougini,

I use my Kirkendall for Silk through mic too, but it was way too slow. Evidently, the spring is very weak, I replaced it with a 1 dollar-Reel-Spring, which already made it a good amount faster. I removed the felt and replaced it with a playingcardmaterial, and changed the line to fishingline. Its much faster now, but if I want to use a good length of silk, its still not fast/strong enough. Did you find a solution ?
Another thing, I own a ringfly revolution. And that reel is a beauty. Its very strong, fast, and silent. For Silk through mic its perfect...i just happen to have a big Key in which it is build in, so its hard to conceal in the hand. But I havent seen a better reel in this pricerange todate.
I have this also..
the reel comes in one color, which is black. the thread (fishing line) is also black. It has a stopper (thumb brake) in the middle
the instruction is very clear (mr.tango covers all the details on how to repair the reel, replacing the thread etc...)

I feel this is the most important thing, not all reel can be repaired if broken. And this one is very easy to repair.

The speed is awesome.

The reel is as big as an eisenhower dollar (approx).

if you are performing "silk thru microphone stand", find a chromed microphone stand.

one little thing though, Mr tango should've supply more of the "O" ring.

over all it is very good!! 9/10
Can somebody please tell me what you receive within the package?
Just the DVD and the reel? No spare O-Rings at all?
The package comes with a DVD and the reel. There are no other spare parts included.
[quote]On Aug 8, 2013, rynku wrote:
I have this also..
the reel comes in one color, which is black. the thread (fishing line) is also black. It has a stopper (thumb brake) in the middle
the instruction is very clear (mr.tango covers all the details on how to repair the reel, replacing the thread etc...)

I feel this is the most important thing, not all reel can be repaired if broken. And this one is very easy to repair.

The speed is awesome.

The reel is as big as an eisenhower dollar (approx).

if you are performing "silk thru microphone stand", find a chromed microphone stand.

one little thing though, Mr tango should've supply more of the "O" ring.

over all it is very good!! 9/10 [/quote]

I had been pondering over whether to invest on this or not . Now with more and more reviews my temptations grew ...
Just to mention, Mr Tango demos the reel on his Penguin Live lecture, so you can get a pretty good idea of it there too. The lecture is full of excellent stuff, good value in my opinion.

Larry
I've bought a T.U.R. last week. Unfortunately a small part of the spring broke when I was replacing the thread the 1st time (my fault, Marcelo covers this on the dvd).
However, I was still able to repair it and it works like a charm again. Question I have is; what if the spring should be seriously damaged? Are there springs avalaible? Since the T.U.R. is quite "modular" and easy to open it should be easy to replace it yourself.
If your reel is slow, check the stuff in the bottom part. If there's to much of it this wil slow down the reel.
I'm interested in the product. But I want a reel that makes no noise, and is fast. More important is the noise issue. My RFR for instance does not make noise and is fast when it retracts. Thanks in advance for any information.
Interested in this reel too, just hesitant with the price but suspect I will be buying (there doesn't seem to be much competition)
[quote]On Jul 24, 2012, Pete Biro wrote:
Ordered one... I've had almost every reel made... will see how this compares. [/quote]

So how did you like it, Pete? Thank you.
I just bought the TUR from Marcelo at his lecture last Friday. This is my first reel so I can't compare with the others but I have seen many in performances..
From my limited experience, I am very happy with it and I am currently practicing silk through mic stand so I can be as smooth as Marcelo.

The only thing I am not happy with is the video.
The instructions themselves are fine but it's an online Vimeo video and it's not that reliable on a mobile device such as an iPad. I can't download it and I can only watch it while Vimeo and Bar Magico is in business. These things change,
I prefer having video instructions on my hard drive or on a DVD.
Does anyone know if a DVD or download is available. I can prove ownership if necessary.
Or Is there a way to download from Vimeo.

Thanks,
I use the brass jumbo reel for all the effects shown in these videos, and I am very happy with the price, quietness and size of the reel. Their getting harder to find! Madhatter magic has the best price I could find! And great people to deal with! No better value for the money! This one to pricey for me! I also designed a reel for long applications similar to a Kennedy reel but with a button and it's one solid piece it's so quite you have to hold it to your ear to hear it! Great for dollar bill snatching, and silk around pole! I carry 2 at all times in a double mini phone pouch attached to my belt! One with a dollar note. The other with a silk! Keep it Reel! lol..