(Close Window)
Topic: Help finding fun magic for bar
I work for a bar and have had the opportunity to do a few tricks behind the bar. In fact, I only really do two or three. I've done some card tricks, as well as some ball tricks and a chop cup routine.

I'm looking for good effects for behind the bar. One I am considering is Fraud by Daniel Garcia. In this illusion, a treasury seal of a dollar bill is apparently pulled in one full movement from one end of the bill to the other.

If anyone has anything that they think works, and involves a stage that can be provided by the bar (in other words the scale of the props or effect) please post.
Jiggernaut by Mark Jenest is perfect for a bar.

Egg bag with a shot surprise load.

Good luck.
Do the floating glass while a drink is being poured into it. On the stage perform Multiplying Bottles. There are ways you can make a champagne bottle appear from underneath a silk.
Invest in this prop if you can find it, which will last forever, and then go out and learn a great chop cup routine:
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/close-up-the-bar-cup-roger-nicot__5952.htm

I also agree that Jiggernaut is a wonderful, affordable, and very do-able trick.

One of my favorite bar effects I found in Joshua Jay's Magic book DVD, where he chalks up his finger like a pool cue, and pretends to shoot an impossible, invisible pool shot into a spectator's chosen, closed fist. Inside her or his fist is a chalk mark.

Oldie but a goodie.
Any good bill switch would be nice.
and maybe a coin matrix.
todd
Anniversary Waltz for those times when you have couples.

Pen/Pencil thru Quarter
Wow, this is great, thanks guys.

Just listening to the suggestions, the bill switch is the most interesting to me. I like that cup, Wizard. It looks affordable and long lasting. Also, that pool cue idea is great.

Alright, thanks, great suggestions and it looks like I'm going to have to start picking up some literature.

~Nick
[quote]
On 2011-11-29 21:06, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Invest in this prop if you can find it, which will last forever, and then go out and learn a great chop cup routine:
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/close-up-the-bar-cup-roger-nicot__5952.htm

I also agree that Jiggernaut is a wonderful, affordable, and very do-able trick.

One of my favorite bar effects I found in Joshua Jay's Magic book DVD, where he chalks up his finger like a pool cue, and pretends to shoot an impossible, invisible pool shot into a spectator's chosen, closed fist. Inside her or his fist is a chalk mark.

Oldie but a goodie.
[/quote]

I second the Roger Nicot Chop Cup.

If Bar Magic is your special thing, you will regret not getting one or more of the Nicot Cups.
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and you can do all kinds of fun stuff with their change.
Eddie Gibson's coin unique could be performed with customer's change...

http://youtu.be/YAu-hSUMGhg?t=13m26s OR http://bcove.me/nms5ouch (skip to 5m 10s)

Just switch the gimmicked coins in and out behind the bar :)

AA
[quote]
On 2011-12-02 16:15, *double-A-magic* wrote:
Eddie Gibson's coin unique could be performed with customer's change...

http://youtu.be/YAu-hSUMGhg?t=13m26s OR http://bcove.me/nms5ouch (skip to 5m 10s)

Just switch the gimmicked coins in and out behind the bar :)

AA
[/quote]

Also this effect can be done by placing both coins under an upturned glass, the glass is swirled and the coins appear to morph together. When you raise the glass one of the coins has completely dissapeared! Rwally impressive visual magic.

May be more suited to a bar environment plus it's a much 'safer' method than the one in the hands!

AA
Jon Tremaine's Superman, it's been my favorite impromptu trick for years. It uses only 3 ball made from foil in cigarette packs. Richard Osterlind's spoon bending routine. There are many good match routines, that will play well in a bar.
Chink-a-chink, cigarette magic, coin magic, Paul Harris' Fizzmaster (impromptu using 2 soda cans), Nightshades...
A bar has so much potential, because of all the "equipment" just lying around.
Jiggernaut, nightshades
Oh and branded
Set yourself up for some reel levitation. Make sure the lighting is right though.
Get yourself a pk ring and perform prohibition
I just picked this up from Mark at the Columbus Magifest today...
http://www.jbtvusa.com/latest-j-b-products/cocktail-bar-cup-by-roger-nicot-562-73-696.php
Un-frickin' believable. Worth every cent.
I do magic at a local winery and Double Deception by Mark Mason has been very strong. Stand Up Monte and Prohibition also seem perfect for the bar setting.
You should definitely check out Doc Eason, who is a very famous "bar magician". Good luck.
I have also worked a lot in a bar, I found that "Michael Maxwell's Incredible magic at the bar "made easy" (Vol 1-5) where great to help find a few tricks with things you often have in a bar. The dvd's are filmed at a "Bar with Michael Maxwell behind the disk, and doing almost surrounded magic. some are gimmick tricks some are impromptu, some cards tricks, and some simply use a salt shaker and a toothpick, ore a bar napkin. so check them out.
Hmmm maybe try looking at the question differently

Help finding fun magic for bar ... or ....

Help finding fun magic

Consider the props you have at hand behind a bar and how can you make them work in a sensible (while amazing and entertaining) fashion

You have money, fluids, fruits, garnishes, olives, onions, bottles, bar rags (sorry I don't know the proper term), credit cards, paper, pen, lighting and depending on where you bartend cigarettes and lighters and more

What can you do with those items? The magic will be organic if you use the items at hand and can seem more natural. Consider the "why" ... hands full? What can you float? and so on .....

Consider just "letting" the first piece of magic happen to draw your patrons in

Does the bar have an interesting history, colorful charters who came in? If not make them up

Introducing a deck of cards would be ok too if you are the "magic" bartender. As stated Anniversary Waltz is a nice effect if you have time and a cute couple (cute can be any age), can I please suggest you ask the couple to write the date on the card as well as signing it? Makes it more memorable/personable

I'm thinking bill to lemon/lime (even if your fruit is cut up already), producing bottles, impromptu cups and balls with shot glasses and olives ... yeah, yeah .. there was a guy who used to come in the bar who showed you that, about distraction and deception ... but you could never catch him ......
(your stories which will be much better than anything I could ever suggest as I am not there, don't know your bar or patrons)

Also look to the great magicians who worked bars Doc Eason, Bob Sheets, Tom Mullica and on and on