(Close Window)
Topic: Indonesian Magicians gave The Masked Magician a TV Special! I dunno what to say...
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Dec 7, 2011 02:58PM)
This deserves a topic all its own.

Watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k4tTYnGWV0&feature=related

Wow, them Indonesians Magicians must really love that Valentino/Masked Magician to give him a TV Special like that...

I just don't get it... :no:

FOX giving him TV Shows is just life, but Magicians giving him a standing ovation? WTF?
Message: Posted by: Ray Pierce (Dec 7, 2011 05:11PM)
Wow... How lame do you have to be to screw up a tear apart vanish? It's not just that he did it totally wrong and exposed the gaff (which is not a great surprise) he also had apparently rehearsed the effect so little that when it came time for the specific move, he seemed confused and apparently forgot how to do the trick. Evidently he's had people doing everything for him so long he lost even the simplest of magical skills.

Now, back to the real question which is how does he get a special? There are many magicians that just don't have the ability to work in this country as their negative reputation precedes them. Their only option is to keep going to countries where they're not known and don't have a negative track record already in place. They will frequently burn out that market and then go on to a new country. Eventually they keep looking for foreign markets until they find somewhere they can be a star without any competition.

I'm sure Val just kept looking until he found the place that would accept him... What else can he do?
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Dec 7, 2011 05:46PM)
[quote]
On 2011-12-07 18:11, Ray Pierce wrote:

Now, back to the real question which is how does he get a special? There are many magicians that just don't have the ability to work in this country as their negative reputation precedes them. Their only option is to keep going to countries where they're not known and don't have a negative track record already in place. They will frequently burn out that market and then go on to a new country. Eventually they keep looking for foreign markets until they find somewhere they can be a star without any competition.

[/quote]

Here's my issue Ray...

He IS known by Magicians in Indonesia as The Masked Magician!

That is what is so baffling, not that Valentino is an arse, but WTF were the Indonesian Magicians thinking?
Message: Posted by: longhaired1 (Dec 7, 2011 10:57PM)
That was excruciating. By the way, there is no way that was a legit standing ovation. The ovaters couldn't have looked less enthusiastic. I don't know the premise of the show, but why the presumption that the audience was a group of magicians? They looked like they were there for the free air conditioning more than anything else.
Message: Posted by: Ray Pierce (Dec 8, 2011 05:12AM)
[quote]
On 2011-12-07 18:46, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Here's my issue Ray...

He IS known by Magicians in Indonesia as The Masked Magician!

That is what is so baffling, not that Valentino is an arse, but WTF were the Indonesian Magicians thinking?
[/quote]

This just goes to show the power of "celebrity"! As an example, after O.J. Simpson was convicted in civil court of murdering two people, he was still asked for his autograph when he would go out to eat in public. To me, it's the same situation with Val. People are just that desperate to be around someone they perceive as "famous".
Message: Posted by: Ken Northridge (Dec 8, 2011 05:26AM)
Yes, but OJ has not been asked for any autographs lately, and if Val continues to put on performances like this, neither will he.
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Dec 9, 2011 01:22PM)
[quote]
On 2011-12-07 23:57, longhaired1 wrote:
That was excruciating. By the way, there is no way that was a legit standing ovation. The ovaters couldn't have looked less enthusiastic. I don't know the premise of the show, but why the presumption that the audience was a group of magicians? They looked like they were there for the free air conditioning more than anything else.
[/quote]

I actually know some of them.

And those on the stage as well.

I'm from Malaysia, not Indonesia btw...
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Dec 9, 2011 01:23PM)
[quote]
On 2011-12-08 06:12, Ray Pierce wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-12-07 18:46, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Here's my issue Ray...

He IS known by Magicians in Indonesia as The Masked Magician!

That is what is so baffling, not that Valentino is an arse, but WTF were the Indonesian Magicians thinking?
[/quote]

This just goes to show the power of "celebrity"! As an example, after O.J. Simpson was convicted in civil court of murdering two people, he was still asked for his autograph when he would go out to eat in public. To me, it's the same situation with Val. People are just that desperate to be around someone they perceive as "famous".
[/quote]

But to the extent of giving him a TV Show?

Wow... :no:
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Dec 27, 2011 07:51AM)
Not many enraged by this?

Wow... :no:

Fame and Fortune. That's all there is to this I guess... :(
Message: Posted by: Ray Pierce (Dec 29, 2011 01:07AM)
Yes, we can certainly be enraged but to what end? I work 16 hours a day and have to choose my battles very carefully, Val is simply not worth the effort.
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Dec 29, 2011 02:00AM)
[quote]
On 2011-12-29 02:07, Ray Pierce wrote:
Yes, we can certainly be enraged but to what end? I work 16 hours a day and have to choose my battles very carefully, Val is simply not worth the effort.
[/quote]

Understood completely. However, in this case, Valentino is not the problem. HE HAS BEEN A LOST CAUSE YEARS AGO.

It is these Indonesian Magicians promoting him that I see as a huge problem.

It is one thing for the public to support Valentino, but a group within us? WTF?

I say we ask them why they did this formally, through IBM.

I'D LOVE TO HEAR THEIR ANSWER.
Message: Posted by: RickVancouver (Dec 31, 2011 05:06AM)
I did like when the second "magician" walked out, revealed the dove on the assistant's back, then did the switch for the rubber dove and then folded it up. Could have some comedy potential if it was done better.

Rick
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Jan 5, 2012 05:12AM)
[quote]
On 2011-12-31 06:06, RickVancouver wrote:
I did like when the second "magician" walked out, revealed the dove on the assistant's back, then did the switch for the rubber dove and then folded it up. Could have some comedy potential if it was done better.

Rick
[/quote]

If you're trying to be positive, thanks...

If not...

You missed the whole point of this thread. :(