(Close Window)
Topic: Can we use Disney Characters?
I found a large Mickey and Minnie Mouse stuff character doll at a flea market. I did purchase them wanting to use for ventriloquism. I will have to cut out the back to remove the right amount of stuffing so my hand will be able to move the mouth. Is it legal to use Disney Characters?
I'm no lawyer but my gut feel is: No.
Disney keeps a stable of lawyers for just such an occasion...
Well look at the good part. If they catch me, I will go to prison. I will be able to practice so much in prison, I will leave a professional. [url=http://www.sherv.net/laughter-emoticon-755.html][img]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/laughter.gif[/img][/url]
If you buy the Mickey Mouse vent figure...you can use it.

It's sold as a vent puppet so you can use it as one... :)
It is not sold as a vent figure. But I want to make it into one.
And in prison you'll get three square meals a day, health care and the chance to further your education....could be a win-win situation!
[quote]
On 2011-12-08 11:26, Dynamike wrote:
[/quote]

I don't think it's allowed...

Why not buy Mickey or Minnie vent figures/puppets?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Disney-35-MINNIE-MOUSE-Puppet-Ventriloquist-SUPER-RARE-/330651353538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfc5b41c2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VENTRILOQUIST-MICKEY-MOUSE-DOLL-AND-PUPPET-/220900809532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336eb6db3c
[quote]
On 2011-12-08 11:34, Wanlu wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Disney-35-MINNIE-MOUSE-Puppet-Ventriloquist-SUPER-RARE-/330651353538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfc5b41c2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VENTRILOQUIST-MICKEY-MOUSE-DOLL-AND-PUPPET-/220900809532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336eb6db3c
[/quote]
Even owning these authorized Disney puppets will not give you the rights to use them in a show (especially a paying gig..). They are for home use/enjoyment only...
[quote]
On 2011-12-08 11:29, Pasquale wrote:
And in prison you'll get three square meals a day, health care and the chance to further your education....could be a win-win situation!
[/quote]

Yeah, and you might have some large, angry dude practicing vent on you with his hand up your.....well never mind.
[quote]
On 2011-12-08 11:56, Bob Baker wrote:
Yeah, and you might have some large, angry dude practicing vent on you with his hand up your.....well never mind.
[/quote]
[url=http://www.sherv.net/laughing-emoticon-151.html][img]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif[/img][/url]
As Peanut says to Jeff Dunham - "you would not do well in jail, can you imagine it..........COME HERE PUPPET BOY.......MAKE YOUR DADDY TALK"
[quote]
On 2011-12-08 11:42, Pasquale wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-12-08 11:34, Wanlu wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Even owning these authorized Disney puppets will not give you the rights to use them in a show (especially a paying gig..). They are for home use/enjoyment only...
[/quote]

Sad
I don't know if it's sad, they're just protecting their creation, we all know how quickly people will steal other's ideas.
The Disney characters are off limits. So is Barney. A pity - you could put together a great kiddies tribute show using puppets and vent.
What I meant by "sad" is the fact that they sell vent puppets that you cant use in a vent act... If I have one, Ill use it! Sue me! :)

Why sell Mickey Mouse shoes that no one can use outside one's home? ;)
The shoe thing is kind of comparing apples to oranges, but that aside, as far as using the Mickey vent doll in an act - I'm not sure the statement that you could not use them in a vent act and that they are only for home use is correct. Unless they came with something specific stating that they were only for home use and/or the buyer signed something stating they would only use them for home use, I don't believe Disney could prevent such usage. That is what they were created for, as opposed to a stuff toy that was not created for that purpose and someone is thinking about converting into a puppet.
And it's probably a moot point as I doubt too many people would be using any vent doll, including a Mickey Mouse one, in a professional vent act.
Shoes are meant to be used on the streets and vent puppets should be used in vent acts ;)

Anyway, I have no plans in buying and using a Mickey vent figure, Im just saying its sad...
Makes me wonder... will the Jeff Dunham figures be allowed to use in vent acts or for home use only? :)
[quote]
On 2011-12-08 22:21, Wanlu wrote:
What I meant by "sad" is the fact that they sell vent puppets that you cant use in a vent act... If I have one, Ill use it! Sue me! :)

Why sell Mickey Mouse shoes that no one can use outside one's home? ;)
[/quote]
As far as I understand, Walt Disney will only come in to sue you when you use their images/property for [b]PROFIT[/b].

They don't care if you print out Mickey Mouse invitation cards & banners for your private party, or print Mickey Mouse for your Sunday school illustration, or produce your own Mickey Mouse shoes for your own fashion.

But, the moment you [b]sell[/b] the services or products with their stuff, they will look for you.

As for Mickey mouse shoes that you have, it's either that the manufacturer paid for the rights to produce these shoes, or they are "Made In China". :)
[quote]
On 2011-12-08 23:59, Wanlu wrote:
Makes me wonder... will the Jeff Dunham figures be allowed to use in vent acts or for home use only? :)
[/quote]
There's going to be Jeff Dunham figures?
I must have missed something somewhere.
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Dec 9, 2011 08:55AM)
Dave,

You had to have been at ConVENTion this year. Jeff took most of his time as a speaker to tell about the development of his new Little Jeffie charactor. This was the driving force behind his purchase of a 3D printer. The object is to put a simple figure into the hands of the next generation of vents for about $100.00. It will be stick control with (I believe I'm correct) mouth only movement. In effect the next generation of "Charlie". If I have missed any important details, maybe Mark, Tom or Donald can fill in the gaps for you.

Steve

http://www.thedummyshoppe.com/blog
If you print out party invitations with Disney characters, and they catch you, they will stop you...unless they are Disney characters licensed through Disney and sold to you to use as party invitations.

If you use a Disney puppet in a local show they won't sue you because they won't know.
If you become famous (even in just your community) as "Irving Phonbone and his puppet Mickey Mouse," and they find out, you will receive a letter.

If you start printing T-shirts featuring you, Irving Phonebone, and your puppet Mickey Mouse, and enough of 'em get on the market, they will sue you.

This is one of the main reasons Terry Fator changed many of his main figures, though he kept their names. He could go only so far with images he did not create.

Seriously, I know this stuff. I have copyrights. I've paid lawyers. Honest.

-Philip
[quote]
On 2011-12-09 10:29, Servante wrote:
If you print out party invitations with Disney characters, and they catch you, they will stop you...unless they are Disney characters licensed through Disney and sold to you to use as party invitations.

If you use a Disney puppet in a local show they won't sue you because they won't know.
If you become famous (even in just your community) as "Irving Phonbone and his puppet Mickey Mouse," and they find out, you will receive a letter.

If you start printing T-shirts featuring you, Irving Phonebone, and your puppet Mickey Mouse, and enough of 'em get on the market, they will sue you.

This is one of the main reasons Terry Fator changed many of his main figures, though he kept their names. He could go only so far with images he did not create.

Seriously, I know this stuff. I have copyrights. I've paid lawyers. Honest.

-Philip
[/quote]
That's pretty clear. To me I simplify it as private vs profit.
Dynamike,

My personal opinion is I don't think Disney will sue you if you use a Mickey vent figure as long as you bought it as a vent figure and not a converted stuffed doll... Of course, please don't take my word for it. :)

On another personal opinion, I think it is better to create your own character...so why bother using a Mickey figure in your act, why not develop your own character? :)
As for the invitations... We do that all the time here in Manila. We print invitations with Disney chracters for use in private/personal parties. Its not like printing them and selling them in stores. There are licensed invitations sold in stores but if you want to make some for your private party, there are available templates in the internet. :)

Again, just my personal opinion.

1870 is my zip code in case they plan to send me a letter... :)
[quote]
On 2011-12-09 09:55, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Dave,
You had to have been at ConVENTion this year. Jeff took most of his time as a speaker to tell about the development of his new Little Jeffie charactor. This was the driving force behind his purchase of a 3D printer. The object is to put a simple figure into the hands of the next generation of vents for about $100.00. It will be stick control with (I believe I'm correct) mouth only movement. In effect the next generation of "Charlie". If I have missed any important details, maybe Mark, Tom or Donald can fill in the gaps for you.
Steve
[/quote]
Sounds like a modern Simon Sez.
Thanks guys.
I have worked with a Minnie type character. She was another entertainer.
I did Disney parodies (comedic license)

As far as prison, I have worked as a counselor in a maximum security and minimum security prison. (and have done vent work there) Having a captive audience does have it's benefits.(drum sound here) It is better when you can leave at the end of the day.

Harris
still 2 old to know it all