(Close Window)
Topic: Optical illusion question
I am simply trying to identify by name the following:

Every now and then a picture illusion is produced--even in commercial advertising, in which a flat depiction changes its perceived state when the picture is either slanted, or the viewer changes their vantage to the left or right.

These are sometimes as simple a s sticker, or a DVD cover.

I ask because I was wondering if these had a genre-specific name, and more importantly, if the base material with the "prism-like" quality is obtainable in raw form.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Ron
Figured it out myself. Lenticular Printing.
It's been quite a while since the original post, but I think lovers of optical illusions will find this of interest.

Many will call this religious kitsch. I apologize in advance if it offends anyone. But I think it's the most amazing "optical illusion" based on lenticular printing that I've ever seen.

http://www.changingworld.com/catalog/lenticular-jesus-mary-with-hearts-fire-card-change-from-jesus-mary-each-which-have-hearts-fire-read-more-p-3487.html

I ordered a few of the postcards and they are great. By tilting the cards up and down (rather than left and right) a very detailed painting of Jesus changes into a painting of Mary.

What is even more amazing perhaps is what led me to a Google search for this item in the first place. Back in the 60's and 70's there was a store near The Magic Shop in Norfolk that carried very unique "kitschy" items. One of them was a large painting of Jesus that changed into Mary when you walked past it. The detail in the two images was amazing. I was curious as to whether the lenticular painting was still available, so I did some searching on the web. I didn't find the large painting from the 60's, but eventually I found this item, which I think is identical to the one I remember but scaled down to a very affordable postcard.

BTW, be careful browsing through the other pages at this site. Some of them contain pictures that one might consider risque.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
Yacov Agam is an artist known for his lenticular lens effects. He is quite collectible and still affordable.