(Close Window)
Topic: Paperballs Over the Head
Does anyone do this "Paperballs Over the Head" trick ? If so..
(1) How did you practice it or did you just go out and 'take your best shot' ?
(2) What tips have you picked up in the process of performing it ?

Thanks, - Nicodemus
1. I just went out, and it was a BIG success the first time. Honestly it "flies over people's heads". I probably did it a bunch and they never caught on, it is VERY disarming. They might even think you are dropping or throwing them, but they never look behind themselves.

2. Don't do it where they will here it hit the floor!!! Other than that just wait for an offbeat and do it!
MacGyver: How many rounds or times did you do the toss effect ? And did you end by using a very large ball for the last toss ?
yes i did, I don't rememeber but it was a lot, mostly based on the reactions of both who I am doing it for and who is watching....You need to do the big ball right before the person your doing it for is about to give up, and after the rest of the audience has gotten a GREAT laugh out of the routine since they see it all.

Just watch your audience carefully and you should be able to judge when to stop and how big you should make your last ball.
Love it!

It's one effect you really can't practice...it's a "feel" kind of thing.

Just do it. On the off beat? Probably the best way to describe it. Sort of a distraction just for a second, when they make eye contact, and then, just for a second, they blink, look down, WHAM...gotcha...

Have someone standing behind them, ready to catch, and you can use a dinner plate, glass tumbler (hold your hands so the glass is blocked from view...), in fact, I did a kitten once, and it was GREAT! Tell the audience not to let the victim in on it for about a year...I tell ya, when that kitten "dissolved away" right in front of her eyes, her expression was priceless...a live animal... :wow:

Doug
This subject is dear to my heart.

When I was drafted into the Army (Korea) I was in basic training and heavy into doing a lot of magic to keep myself from going crazy (It also literally saved my life twice)!!!

Anyway, our Company was on break just outside our barracks, when the Drill Sargeant comes over and says, "I hear you are a magician. Fool me."

Yikes.

OK, so we are on the steps leading into the barracks, not real high, if you know the standard design it is maybe 4-5 steps to a small landing. A perfect "stage" as the troops, about 100 of them are all standing there looking up at us.

I didn't have anything with me when he hit me with the challenge, but there was an EMPTY COKE BOTTLE on the landing.

I picked it up... did some fiddling with it and then used the Paper Balls Over the Head vanish throwing it far and into the crowd so someone would catch it.

He grabbed my sleeves, etc. the usual and was totally NAILED... to the DELIGHT of the 100 or so watching.

Only drawback, I seemed to have had more sessions peeling pototoes the next few weeks than anyone else.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :band:

Oh, how did magic save my life?

The first time a guy went nuts on the rifle range and aimed a loaded rifle at me and was going to shoot me.

A crowd circled us... I was terrified, but started to talk and asked if he had a match. (I have no idea why I said that). He said no... but another guy tossed me a book of matches.

I took one out and did a terrible old gag with a match where you split the end and form a "Y" then hold the split ends like a SKOOTER, then I raised one leg and pretended I was riding a skooter.

The guy was so out of it he was watching me do this silly bit, dropped his guard and a coupld of guys jumped him and took his rifle.

He was later sent to a mental hospital and discharged.

The other time was when they were about to ship all of us out to fight in Korea.

I had been doing a lot of shows at the Officer's Club, and the officers in charge knew me... and when a request for a couple of guys to be shipped to Germany, one of the Captains (who I had gotten to know) called me in and said I was going to Europe instead of Korea.

:pepper: :cucumber: :carrot: :bubbly: :carrot: :coolspot:
You can put a couple pre-prepared balls in your jacket, sleeve, pocket to further disarm the spectator. So you can alternate between it disappearing and reappearing.

I also use a roll of toilet paper because it's funny and it also quite convenient.

I think Scott Guinn also uses TP.

The person sits in a chair and becomes the TP holder..

"Hold out your fingers like this"

I always ask... "Are you a 'this-a-way' kind of guy or a 'that-a-way' kind of guy (as in comes off over the roll or under the roll).

The whole toilet paper thing is just too amusing to pass up.

frank
I've done this in bars quite a bit using the cocktail napkins. First using one napkin rolled into a ball, then a couple more, until you end up with a big ball. I did it in a bar in Thailand once and the bar girl actually felt and closely inspected my hands after the napkin ball disapeared as if she expected to find slits in the palm of my hands that the balls were being hid in. One of the really great impromtu tricks.
Check out Tony Clark's video on the subject.
You can also read Slydini's version called 'Flight of the Paper Balls' in "The Annotated Magic of Slydini" by Lewis Ganson.

Might save you a lot of trial and error.
Hey Pete - you sound like you've lived a litte!

I agree with Frank Starsini's idea of mixing in some pocketed balls and also using stuff like sponge-ball style retention vanishes and false takes/puts. Otherwise some smart specs will get to wondering where the balls are going - if you are strong performer and keep it rolling and if it's a more formal setting where the spec is pressured to act accordingly this is no worries but in a social situation people are apt to look around a bit. Leading them down a false path early on can extend the hilarity a fair bit.
The best presentation by far that I've ever seen for this is the one that Bob Sheets and Steve Spill created (with input from John Kennedy) and performed for years when they were a team. The balls vanished and reappeared, and they had so many funny lines that it was one of the most entertaining routines they performed, if not the most magical.

Larry D.
Historically the effect seems to have started with Harry Blackstone (SR.) and one of his assistants, George Johnstone used it in his club act.

Slydini saw Johnstone do it and asked if it was OK for him to use it. But didn't ask for permission to publish it... however, what Slydini came up with is quite different "technically" than what was done before.

I tend to do it more like the original.

Just thought of a funny thing...

I was working in a hotel suite in Indianapolis, doing it on A.J. Foyt... and I was vanishing stuff off the dinner table... and THROWING them over his head and OUT AN OPEN WINDOW...

I hope they landed harmlessly in the bushes below.

I was tossing out Bread Rolls to start and wound up throwing small coffee cups out the window!

Another time, impromptu, I was just doing dinner rolls, and noted a couple of waiters standing to the rear of the "sucker" watching, and I just threw them far enough so they caught 'em... and played along.

It is one of the greatest all-time effects for a fun group.

:banana: :pepper: :band: :banana: :carrot:
Although I have 'read' the Slydini routine and have seen the Tony Clark video it just comes down to stepping out and "doing it" for the first few dozen times.

Thank for the input gentlemen.
It DOES come down to "just doing it" BUT it does require that you learn what to do and how to do it, not just watching someone do it and then try to copy them. There are many subtelties involved in doing this correctly or you will wind up slaughtering the routine. I have seen so many just ruin it that it makes me cringe anytime I see someone trying to do it.

The Best of Slydini and More teaches it quite well with all the photos but it still does not do it justice without seeing it performed well. In any event, PLEASE learn the subtelties involved and understand the psychology ofr it including the changing of methods during the routine in order to do this the justice that it deserves. It is not just as simple as throwing it over the head, it is about a full routine that demonstrates how misdirection is so powerful.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
There is quite a bit more to this than "just doing it...". Having taken many lessons from Slydini, and concentrating on this routine for a long time, I can tell you that Tony had a specific routine, that his misdirection was very well thought out, that there was a mix of "over-the-head" vanishes and other vanishes, that there was always more than one ball involved.

This is NOT "jazz magic", and treating it as if it is will serve you poorly. Tonys' directions regarding eye contact, the specific release point for the tosses, the control of the spectator AND the audience, all these points were quite detailed. The written descriptions are useful adjuncts to a personal lesson, and , barring that possibility, the next best thing.

Please, don't think you are getting all you can out of this trick if you are "just doing it...", because I can assure you from long experience - you're not!

Best, PSC
Would you consider the Tony Clark video adequete to supply the subtelties ? Believe me I in no way want to damage a great routine without prep time but at the same time how can you get prepared without actually "doing it" ? It does not strike me as something to practiced in the mirror.

Sort of a catch 22.
Tourist Boat to China, everyone supposed to offer something for entertainment. Wife offers me. I practice Cards Up the Sleeve, switch to 11 card trick, in the end too anxious to do either and wanting something more visible. Did the Paper Balls for first time ever. AFter third ball, told Spect, "Here's what I reallly do" and show her old egg bag stunt) how I put it nder left arm after pretending to put it in hand. I repeat using the toss, ask her where it is, she points to left arm, I pick up arm--she lets out a shriek, a geninely flabbbergasted shriek ! of surprise. GREAT ENDING!
And after the ship exploded and sank, the Parrot floats up to you and says, "How did you do that?" :banana:
Those are some great storys Pete! Thanks for sharing them with us.

My funniest experience with this trick is when I did it at a bowling ally with a bowling ball. A magician friend of mine was with me. The bowling ball flew over the guys head and my friend caught it. The timing is a little different. It was more of a clap vanish (Clapped my had and the ball was gone).
This of course blew him away (To even my surprise). I then produced it from his jacket by opening it at the side and grabbing the ball from my friend behind him.

I'm just glad I haven't seen the guy since because he'd probably ask me to do it again. Not likely to go over so well the second time.

Ron Jaxon
A great place for this is at a bar, because you can use crumpled napkins, and even if the spectator looks behind them, the napkins are hidden behind the bar!!!! :clownjuggling:
Greg Wilson's routine with paper napkins from On the Spot videos is a fun impromptu version and shows how strongly it plays.

He doesn't even try to explain the routine - just says 'you can see how it is done'.

By contrast Slydini's description in the Magic of Slydini ( I haven't got the annotated version.... yet) is detailed. However the routine only came to life for me when I finally got to see Slydini perform on an old tape of his appearance on the Dick Cavet show.

Cheers,
Shafique
I'm rather surprised that nobody has yet mentioned Steve Bedwell's routine "In Over Your Head": a combination of "paper balls" and cut-and-restored-rope. I saw him perform it at the Magic Castle and it's hilarious. He had been advised to leave it out of his Castle routine because people would steal it. Please look up his booklet of the same title and buy it; you'll be very happy you did and Steve will get the compensation he deserves.

If you know the routine, you'll appreciate the best patter line, delivered after the "assistent" is given a handful of rope clippings to toss over his shoulder: "Some people call this superstition; I call it 'concealing the evidence'."
I learned paper balls over the head from another performer who has performed it for years. I am always looking to improve it though.
Has anyone seen the Tony Clark video, and if so, how would you compare it to the Slydini write up......

thanks for your input.

- dave s.
[quote]
On 2003-09-20 13:26, S2000magician wrote:
I'm rather surprised that nobody has yet mentioned Steve Bedwell's routine "In Over Your Head"...
[/quote]

I have one word for that routine...BRILLIANT!
I was only able to do it once. I was talking to my wife about seeing Blackstone Jr. doing something and said; "Here, you're going to see what I'm doing because I'm not as good as Blackstone." and did the vanish with a napkin.

She was stunned, she had [no] idea where the napkin went!

But I've never had the nerve to do it in a public setting.
:pout:
:rotf: ya... this is an amazing brillant and fun effect to do with a fun crowd. But throwing coffee cups??? LOL.... hmm... no sound?? <grin>....

Hmm, what are some other effects like this that really gets fun crowds involved?
Alex,
I have and perform Powers Of Darkness by Mike Caveney. It is done with large coat hangers, of all things. The audience is in on the effect, but the volunteer has no idea how it's happening. It has the advantage of not being able to be tried by the audience when they get home. I like it quite a lot. But like PBOTH it takes good audience/volunteer management. Check it out.

Bob
Is this effect in "MagiComedy"?
This effect is very funny, I like when Copperfield do it with the eggs, the funny face of the girl kills me

luis
In The Best of Syldini... and More he starts with the selection of the spectator. I know that the first time I performed the effect it was just based on having seen Slydini's performance on Dick Cavett. (This was in the days before VCRs so I only saw it once.) When I performed it I completely fooled my helper. In later performances I did not have as much success. I know now that it was because my first helper fit the Slydini profile to a T.

Call it beginners luck.
I use ropes over the head almost every weekend. I've expanded on the original routine a bit. However, one thing that I've learned about any "over the head" routine, is that you can not do this with any children at all watching. If this is in my set for a show and I notice any children in the audience, I immediately switch to something else. No matter what kind of warning I give, the kids just can't keep it to themselves.
Does anybody worry about not treat the spectator as a victim ? If everybody is laughing of him during the routine, wouldn't it became embarassed ?
What could be a good end to change this situation ?
To answer your first question, I've quite careful about who I choose to do this effect. You're right about the treatment of the victim.

Careful body language before during and after the effect can add greatly to how your "assistant" feels he/she was treated.

I often do everything I can before they sit down to assure them that they have "nothing to worry about", etc.

Afterwards, I'm pat their shoulder, shake their hand, ask for a round of applause.

You are very right to be careful and considerate.

I'm too lazy to answer the second question. It too is a good one. I just need to get back to work.

Frank
I have the Tony Clark video and really like the trick and get great reactions performing It. I just wonder what you guys do as a follow up IF the spectator look behind his schoulder before you are finish? In my routine I have some gags to cover but I know Tony Clark mention a silk "sucker" routine he does with the spectator. But he does not go into detail on this trick on the dvd, has anyone seen It?
Has anyone seen Tony Clarks sucker silk routine if the spectator look behind his schoulder?

What do you guys do if the look behind the schoulder?
Gregory Wilson does a wild version using anything he can get his hands on to throw over their heads!
Good question. What would you do? What comes to mind?
I was at a party one time and a famous race driver, A.J. Foyt, was sitting in front of an open window (4th floor of a hotel) and I tossed all kinds of stuff over his head and out the window!

Another time, in the Army a Sergeant ORDERED me to fool him. We were on the little porch of the barracks and about 100 guys were standing watching. Ther was a coke bottle handy and I just tossed it over his head into the crowd.

He was baffled and P'd off. Next day I spent on KP peeling potatoes.. But it was worth it.
Message: Posted by: Christian Illusionist (Jan 26, 2008 08:23PM)
Is there any versions on the market or available in print that incorporate a finale?

It's easy to get that plane in the air, but once it's flown around for a while, how do you land it successfully?

It's one of the chief reasons I think Copperfield's version is so good using the chicken as the kicker.
Somewhere there is a video clip of Armando Lucero doing it and he has an amazing routine with a killer finish. And you thought he just did coin matrix.
Armando Luceros routine is great and his spectator management are great, he will not have a chanse to look over his schoulder! Saw him preform this at FISM in Stockholm 2006.

But still what do you do if they take a peek over there schoulder or someone in the audience yells out where the paper balls go?
Here's a question.............what do you do when afer you have invited a spectator to sit to perform paper balls and find that the spectator has either seen the trick before or by some means already know's how it is done? Does anyone have an out for this?
That's my question to!

I think first of all, If the spectator looks behind his schoulder, thank him for beeing very observant and invite him to help you with the "real" magic trick. Now what would that be?

With my performing style I am looking for another type of "sucker effekt".
If you want to go to the trouble. Design a pull that will take a wad of paper.
You then say... "AHA... you know the old fashioned way... but now watch HOW I REALLY DO IT." And do a complete vanish with the pull.
I think the standard vernet pull would take care of that for you. It's got teeth.
That's a nice idea :)
Slydini's books are an excellent source of learning this effect. He covers subtle points that are usually overlooked. If you can see him perform it (various sources) you will see that he has very definite control and management of the assistant. That being said, I have done this for a quite a while, as have the others here posting tips, and I would venture to say that ALL of us have been burned at one time or another. I feel it is truly part of the learning process. (It can be a fun and humorous part of the learning process as well, if you understand that) It is also where you definitely appreciate what everyone is saying when they tell you "Itís not just throwing the balls over their head." Itís a continual learning and development of the routine process. I still learn things performing this because each time you do it you pick up stuff. I still get burned occasionally, very occasionally, but none the less it happens. Some have seen it, some are tipped from the crowd and sometimes Iím just OVERLOOKING one of those subtle things that make the effect great. So go learn the effect and just start doing it. If you get burned, do torn and restored napkin, sucker finish or strait up. You do have a bunch of napkins there, might as well use them.
I might add that when I do this routine,I like to do it for the guy who's sitting down.
I believe that it is one of the very best vanishes to use for the person who youare using.
I don't care about the audience and their laughs-I do it for the guy who is sitting their.
Too many people do it as an easy comedy trick IMO.
On the subject of Paper Balls Over the Head, check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIgZs21yBOs

It's a video of Earl "Presto" Johnson performing the effect. He uses sponge balls and is absolutely HILARIOUS!!! The video itself is old, but you can still get the gist of the performance. Great stuff, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
That's so Great, I loved the performance :)

Thank you for posting fanwun
Great version.
I was at a casino a couple days ago and heard the word 'trick'. I asked who knew a trick and the casino shift manager said he knew only one that he 'invented'. He proceded to do a balls over head on the cashier using napkins and he thought it was the funniest thing that she didn't notice. I talked to him later and told him it was a classic routine and it made him happy as a clam in fresh mud.
One of the best versions I've ever seen. Nice twist on this classic:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=J33uCtGQnSk&mode=related&search=david Copperfield
I don't know if it is original with him, but Jim Rainho starts the routine by saying he has a test to see what occupation someone is best qualified for, then he asks for a volunteer. He knows that if they are up to the pretext that they will likely be a good subject for the effect. After a bunch of nonsense he looks things up in a book and declares that he knows exactly what the person should do. He then asks them to stick out their index fingers and then to point them inward, ie towards each other. He then reaches into his bag, removes a roll of toilet paper, and places them on the fingers. Pulling the paper from the roll he does a fairly standard routine.

It went over great with the audience.
Coperfield with Kenner and a 'cue'd' helper is a great routine. (how she did the look under arms and pull on his trouser top had to be rehearsed... but so what.)
Marty,

Supposedly that GAG belongs to Tony Clark and it is taught on his paper balls over the head video.

Corey
Is it just me, or is DC MUCH funnier and more charming in the old clips?
He is still funny and charming, the rest of us are just older and more bitter.
Message: Posted by: Christian Illusionist (Feb 8, 2008 12:57AM)
[quote]
On 2008-02-05 20:13, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
One of the best versions I've ever seen. Nice twist on this classic:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=J33uCtGQnSk&mode=related&search=david Copperfield
[/quote]

That's what I'm talking about!

There is a definite finale to that and it makes sense with the overall routine.

I've been thinking for months trying to find something that would have the same finale in context with the overall effect like that, but so far nothing has come to mind.
[quote]
On 2008-02-08 01:57, Christian Illusionist wrote:

I've been thinking for months trying to find something that would have the same finale in context with the overall effect like that, but so far nothing has come to mind.
[/quote]

What is the theme of your show? Your ideas should come from that. If you don't have a theme for your show, now's a good time to get one of those too :)
Dad do this for his Mum and she was always amazed by it no matter how many times he did it. He did it with solid objects too, both his parents were deaf and mute so they could never hear the object landing behind them.
The first person I saw do this was Tony Clark. He does an exellent job I would suggest his dvd for anyone thinging about doing it
A lot of people have said some terrific things about Slydini's original creation, Tony Clarks rendition and several other's terrific versions of this effect. One that no one seems to mention is Earl "Presto" Johnson's version. His, IMHO, is one of the most practical versions, as it works for close up, stand-up, and street. Luckily, a video of one of his performances of this effect was captured and preserved on YouTube for our viewing pleasure:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CIgZs21yBOs

Enjoy....
It was cool but I know how he did it.
[quote]
On 2008-02-13 19:01, Godhandz wrote:
A lot of people have said some terrific things about Slydini's original creation, Tony Clarks rendition and several other's terrific versions of this effect. One that no one seems to mention is Earl "Presto" Johnson's version. His, IMHO, is one of the most practical versions, as it works for close up, stand-up, and street. Luckily, a video of one of his performances of this effect was captured and preserved on YouTube for our viewing pleasure:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CIgZs21yBOs

Enjoy....
[/quote]

Thanks Eric, that's a real gem!
Hi Frank, I see you get around on the forum. :)

Well, I have to say I enjoyed that. I do the paper balls over the head myself and I was impressed with his version. What I liked was the way he stressed that everyone else would see how it was done. When I do it, I mention it briefly, but I don't think I stress it enough before I get into it. I think it is funnier if you really explain it at the beginning.

I have been using it as an opener to egg bag. I start by saying that I need to establish how technical my sleight of hand is going to have to be to fool the volunteer, and the punch line is that I'm not going to have to try very hard.

I think I might use sponge balls now actually and keep going for larger balls.

Anyway, thanks for the clip Eric.
"Little red rubber balls."
That is what I use.
"Little red rubber balls."
After over the head, I ask the audience if they would like to see what it looks like.
Over the heads of the audience with the help of a TT.
Also have done it with toilet paper with the spec being a human paper holder. Then the ball over the head of the audience.
Have also used Kleenex Boxes (proof that there IS a God.)
Peace,
Parson
Just to give you some idea as to what size object you can get away with: Bob Elliott (my friend/mentor) was a close friend of Slydini. Bob threw an entire wastepaper basket over Al Roker's head on the Today Show and didn't get caught!

Tony Clark is coming to San Diego tomorrow night. Bob and I will both be there!

jeff in san diego
http://www.medicine-in-motion.com