(Close Window)
Topic: Grace Thurston's Bio of Howard
I was re-reading Billy McComb's review of _My Magic Husband; The Great Thurston_ by Grace Thurston as printed in the February, 1986 GENII on page 539. Billy ends his review with the statement: "Phil Temple has had the thing well duplicated but I'm sorry to see a rather objectionable photograph of the respected magician on the rear cover." Billy didn't specify what exactly he found objectionable in the photo. I'm looking at the rear cover now and it shows a picture of Thurston seated at a table apparently building a house of cards. The only thing I see in the photo that I feel could be construed as objectionable is Thurston with his foot on what looks to be a leopard skin rug, which the PETA folks might object to. You can see the rear cover photograph at
http://media.photobucket.com/image/%252BThurston%20%20%2522my%20magic%20husband%2522/ufgrantcollectibles/AAAA%20TITLES/MY_MAGIC_HUSBAND/MMHGALLERY2.jpg

Is there something else in the picture that Billy found objectionable?

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
Which Thurston book had Howie giving the five finger salute on the back cover? That was a funny to me.
Perhaps it is the cigar is Thurston's left hand that he found objectionable.
The original softbound edition had a picture of Thurston "thumbing his nose" at the camera. From people I've talked to over the years who knew him (particularly Dorny) Thurston was a fun guy to be around. Very different than the serious master magician image he conveyed on stage.

Read Jim Steinmeyer's Thurston book for the best story of his life.
He sounded like a ****er to be around, except I wouldn't want to have shaken his hand. :)