(Close Window)
Topic: Classic Toys
The favorite football teams thread got me to thinking: back when I was growing up in Taiwan, I didn't get to see live football. But my absolute favorite toy of all time was my electric football game. I must have spent hundreds of hours on that thing. My father, a real old-school Texan, taught me that the Cowboys were the Chosen Team (and back in the Landry/Staubach days, he may have been right), but I usually played as the Rams because I liked the uniforms.

I wish I still had that thing. I'd trade in both my banjos to get it back. I can always buy more banjos. But that toy is lost in the midst of time.

Out of curiosity, I just checked to see if you could still buy an electric football game. You can. But apparently they have no license with the NFL, so you can only get generic uniforms--which would kind of spoil a bit of the fun. I haven't checked yet, but you can probably buy the old teams I used to play with, but they probably cost an arm and a leg.

But I'm also interested in other toys that some of you would like to somehow resurrect and play. What are the true classics?

Anyone remember Johnny Astro, for exampl?
I can't think of any toys that I was attached to, but I do miss pulling the heads off of my sisters Barbie dolls and sticking them on the end of pencils. I would surround the impaled head with her teddy bears and tell her they were cannibals.
You can get the football game on Ebay. Go for it!

As for the Barbie dolls, you sounded like a fun brother. If your sister had the Barbie dolls intact today, she would have a nice collection worth some serious money. Probably enough money to pay for therapy for people who need it, if she wanted to. :)
The Fisher Price record player with book and record sets were the best thing that ever happened to me.
Mattel handheld electronic football...Rock'em Sock'em Robots...Lite Brite...
Oh oh oh oh, I forgot that Mattel handheld electronic football. That was wonderful.

Here's a big mistake: five or ten years ago I saw a re-issue of that game at Wal-Mart. Why did I not buy it? Still kicking myself....
I had an old "vibrating field" football game, and had lots of fun with it. Especially using the kicker to kick that little felt (?) ball for field goals. The teams were the Cowboys and Packers.

I liked "Battling Tops".

"Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots" was fun, but I never owned it, played a friend's.

Also had a small race track with cars. A piece of the car went into a groove on the track so you could control the speed. Pretty fun!
My all time favorite was my Lionel electric train set. It had the cattle car with the little rubber cattle that would herd on and off into a little corral (by themselves on a vibrating surface that made them "walk" - a smoke stack on the locomotive that puffed real smoke - lots of little buildings, trees, etc. on a mountainy terrain that my father made with screen and plaster.

The completed set took up half of our attic. I'll never forget the electric smell of the transformer.

Years later, when I came back from the Navy, I found that my mother had given the whole thing away to some neighborhood kids.
[quote]
On 2012-01-23 12:48, mastermindreader wrote:
My all time favorite was my Lionel electric train set.
Years later, when I came back from the Navy, I found that my mother had given the whole thing away to some neighborhood kids.
[/quote]

But I bet they enjoyed your train as much as you did, Bob!

:)
They sure better have! Do you know what those trains are worth today?? LOTS!
Electronic version of Stratego. It was great.
THERE WAS AN ELECTRONIC VERSION OF STRATEGO?!?!

:exclaim:
Definitely had the electric football!! There was one guy on each team that could kick the ball, and at least one guy that did nothing but go around in circles. Ha!!

I had an O-gauge Marx train set. There was another kid in the neighborhood that had O-gauge also (probably Lionel), so we'd combine the sets and make a huge layout.

G.I. Joe was a big thing (the original version). My mom used to make Barbie clothes for school bazaars, so she also started to make things for our G.I. Joes. Anything made of fabric... tents, sleeping bags, clothes, and a ton of burlap sandbags!! It seemed that half the kids in the neighborhood were into G.I. Joe, so we had some epic battles.

I also had "Creepy Crawlers" and "Creeple People" sets. They had metal molds and this various-colored goop stuff that you could bake and make rubber monsters, spiders, and other cool stuff. I was into monsters, so I had a blast with that.

Had a lot of fun with Frisbees and kites, too.

One pretty cool toy my brother and I had was "Bop The Beetle". It had this big frog-looking thing that worked like a spring trap. You take a small bat that came with it and smack these hard plastic things that were supposed to be beetle. They fly up in the air and the object was to get yours to land in the frog's mouth before the other guy did. When it did, the frog would snap shut. The original disappeared long ago, but I found and bought another on Ebay for my son when he was little. He had a blast, but it wasn't as much fun for me crawling around on the floor chasing the beetle. :)

Do magic tricks count in this category? Those made up a large portion of my "toys" back then.
I also miss the Sega Game Gear. It was light years ahead of the Game Boy of the time, and yet never got as popular. I have no idea why.
[quote]
On 2012-01-23 12:27, stoneunhinged wrote:
Oh oh oh oh, I forgot that Mattel handheld electronic football. That was wonderful.
[/quote]

When I was a kid, my Mom and my sister and I took the bus out to Calgary a few times to visit my Grandparents and an Aunt and Cousins who were out there. My cousin, Chris, had a handheld electronic football game and my aunt let Tracey and I take it back to play with while we stayed with our grandparents. I didn't know how to play football then and I still don't know the rules, but let me tell you I got the hang of making that machine sing. One of the most fun games I've played. Tracey got the hang of it, too, if I remember correctly. Football champions! :)

http://youtu.be/YgH9Pn2tq5s

:thumbsup:
[quote]
On 2012-01-23 13:36, Michael Baker wrote:
G.I. Joe was a big thing (the original version). My mom used to make Barbie clothes for school bazaars, so she also started to make things for our G.I. Joes. Anything made of fabric... tents, sleeping bags, clothes, and a ton of burlap sandbags!! It seemed that half the kids in the neighborhood were into G.I. Joe, so we had some epic battles.
[/quote]

Once in elementary school, someone brought a G.I. Joe "with life-like hair" (remember them?) to school.

Some of them decided it would be fun to clip off some of Joe's "life-like" hair and tape it to other areas of his body that would normally have "life-like" hair. Teacher saw it and they got in trouble!
[quote]
On 2012-01-23 12:17, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Mattel handheld electronic football...
[/quote]

Got that for Christmas a couple of years ago. It was purchased at Radio Shack. Apparently, they brought back some of the old-time games. I think I still have it.
THE [i]coolest[/i] action figure [b]ever[/b] was the 6 million dollar man. That thing had so many built in gadgets!
I can't think of any real favorites.

I had a lot of star wars figures, wouldn't mind having those now.

I remember a friend of mine had a huge (it seemed huge anyways, probably would look small now) Voltron robot. I always thought that it always disassembled into the different tigers, but thinking back on it it probably didn't.

I always liked the commercials for the girl toys; easy bake oven, polly pocket, those jewels that unfold into little people.
My favourite toys were all The Masters Of The Universe toys with Castle Greyskull as the showpiece for it all!

I wish I still had them all today!
[quote]
On 2012-01-23 16:35, seadog93 wrote:
I remember a friend of mine had a huge (it seemed huge anyways, probably would look small now) Voltron robot. I always thought that it always disassembled into the different tigers, but thinking back on it it probably didn't.
[/quote]

It did. And it was awesome.
[quote]
On 2012-01-23 16:39, PaulPacific wrote:
My favourite toys were all The Masters Of The Universe toys with Castle Greyskull as the showpiece for it all!

I wish I still had them all today!
[/quote]

I read once that the He-Man figures were originally designed as action figures for the Conan the Barbarian movie. But Conan turned out to be more adult-oriented than they planned so they re-made them into He-Man.
The creator of He-Man denies this.
Growing up playing hockey these table top games were a big thing in my neighborhood.
Myself and my buddies all had one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dspGDtlmuw4

Another favorite toy was my Aurora HO Slot cars. Had a great layout, with banked turns, set up on an old ping pong table.
Loved tinkering with the cars to make them go faster. A couple of my friends also had layouts, so it got pretty
competitive. Boy do I miss that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG_N8qTPmxw&feature=related
My other favorite childhood toys were my Daisy air rifle and my Mattel "Fanner 50" revolver, complete with leather holster and thigh ties.
Bob, now your talking my language. The original Daisy Company was close to where I grew up.

http://daisy.com/history.html
One of my other favorite toys was a home-made bow with home-made arrows.
[quote]
On 2012-01-23 17:31, motown wrote:

Another favorite toy was my Aurora HO Slot cars. Had a great layout, with banked turns, set up on an old ping pong table.
Loved tinkering with the cars to make them go faster. A couple of my friends also had layouts, so it got pretty

[/quote]

There was a toy/hobby store in my town when I was a kid, and they had a huge slot car track in the back room. One day, I was walking past the store and a car came flying out the door, went across in front of me, and crashed in the street. Pretty funny thing to see!
[quote]
On 2012-01-23 18:50, critter wrote:
One of my other favorite toys was a home-made bow with home-made arrows.
[/quote]

YES! INDEED!
[quote]
On 2012-01-23 20:36, Michael Baker wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-01-23 17:31, motown wrote:

[/quote]

There was a toy/hobby store in my town when I was a kid, and they had a huge slot car track in the back room. One day, I was walking past the store and a car came flying out the door, went across in front of me, and crashed in the street. Pretty funny thing to see!
[/quote]There were a few of those slot car places around when I was growing up, but they were the larger scale cars. I think 1/32.
In the mid 60's, my brother and I loved to put together these really detailed models of army tanks and things like that. I can't remember the brand, but you can't get detailing like that anymore. Lots of little parts and pieces that moved, doors opened, turrents moved, etc. Of course, after we put them together, we'd take them outside and have wars where we'd end up setting them on fire and seeing all the army guys melt. I loved putting those models together and looking at the catologs dreaming of new models to buy.
Revell maybe? That was one of the bIg brands I remember.

http://www.revell.com/model-kits/index.html
[quote]
On 2012-01-23 14:21, critter wrote:
I also miss the Sega Game Gear. It was light years ahead of the Game Boy of the time, and yet never got as popular. I have no idea why.
[/quote]

My daughter had one. A fresh charge of batteries lasted about 20 minutes!

I had the Aurora monster models (not toys per se, but I liked them).
I also had a 60s version of an Erector Set. It was made with plastic girders and panels so you could build buildings and towers.
I still have a Sega Game Gear. I used it with an adapter, so the battery problem wasn't a problem. It's a great machine. I think that the reason it wasn't too popular was the size.

Does anyone still have any special toys from their childhood? What happens to them, anyway? Do our moms or dads throw them away?
The land of misfit toys??
My dad-who turns 70 this year-still has his Meccano set (similar to Erector). That was actually my favorite toy as a kid (dad proudly passed it on). That and a HUGE pile of wooden blocks and Legos.
Agree with Stone on the adapter. I just kept my adapter in my backpack and played the games on my lunch break at school. The battery lasted the bus ride home.
Had mine for a few years but unfortunately it was on the floor next to my bed during my apartment fire and was destroyed by the fire hose almost water fluid stuff.
Sega Game Gear isn't old enough to be considered a classic toy unless you're still a kid! :)
027 trains, Green plastic Army men, Lincoln Logs, Erector Set, Purple Schwinn Stingray.

Most of my time was spent out running the riverbanks after Smallies and Trout in the summer and chasing bird dogs after Quail and Roughies during hunting season.

Frank
How about those plastic paratroopers? Fold his plastic parachute up on his back, throw him as high up in the air as you can and watch him drift back down. Also, cap guns! And those styrofoam airplanes- came in packages with directions for assembly. Some of those were very cool and flew great!

Hey- skipping rocks!!!
You just reminded me.....

Estees Rockets..... Now those were fun.
Which reminded me of these:

http://www.samstoybox.com/toys/CapBombs.html

That's where I got the caps for the old cap gun, I think.

The planes:

http://www.littletoyairplanes.com/styrofoamairplanes/images/fullsize/022026.jpg

[url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D99IUA?tag=plumcreemark-20&camp=15309&creative=331477&linkCode=st1&creativeASIN=B001D99IUA&adid=0NW4FXTFVG392P74NSC4&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.littletoyairplanes.com%2Fstyrofoamairplanes%2Fstyrofoamgliderflyback.html] cool planes[/url]

These were a lot of fun, too:

[url=http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=hot+shots+skyflyer&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1600&bih=695&tbm=isch&tbnid=iA6qi1yvpYnaoM:&imgrefurl=http://www.conistongifts.co.uk/khxc/index.php%3Fapp%3Dgbu0%26ns%3Demailfriend%26ref%3DTOYSF&docid=b_bm_DJPBD--eM&itg=1&imgurl=http://www.conistongifts.co.uk/khxc/media/gbu0/prodlg/DSCN2778.jpg&w=1036&h=760&ei=-kEfT-aZCpGB0QHh1LQZ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=110&sig=103530245087205761726&page=1&tbnh=159&tbnw=212&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=122&ty=54]skyflyer[/url]
They could really travel. Tracey and I sent at least one to the roof of an apartment building in Calgary while we were there. I think we were able to retrieve it, too. They used to laundy on the roofs there. We lucked out. :shrug:
Creepy Crawler Bug Factory. Made some decent Small Mouth lures with that.

Note:
Stuck in the Studio 13 hours and approx 5 more to go... I'm a little buggy.
Michael mentioned kites earlier- we did some of that in Calgary, too. That was a lot of fun. Difficult to find a place open enough anymore. Tried flying one here probably 20 years ago now- the thing took flight, yanked the string out of my hand and flew up and into a tree, where the string got caught, the kite still flying. Flew from the tree top for hours- interesting sight that was. :)

The guns were like these:

[url=http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=old+western+cap+guns&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1600&bih=695&tbm=isch&tbnid=H8PnDR-zQOemmM:&imgrefurl=http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/373938&docid=ljykKKsOY577hM&imgurl=http://antiquehelper.rfcsystems.com/Full/834/78834.jpg&w=600&h=431&ei=WkYfT4m3K4LV0QGxrbgH&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=250&sig=103530245087205761726&page=1&tbnh=147&tbnw=182&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:0&tx=128&ty=76] western cap guns[/url]

Didn't have the holsters, though. Used to pull back the hammer and put those strip caps in and pull the trigger. Much fun.

And these, I haven't thought about these in years! :

http://www.lurvely.com/photo/4020800827/Breaker_Confections__Sunmark__UFO_Candy__1978/
Monster models (many I've recollected)
Captain Action
Tumblebug game
Balsa airplanes
Horrible Hamilton
Robot Commando
Garloo
King-Zor
Johnny-7 (multi-weapon rifle)
Multi-Pistol 09
Thingmaker
cap pistols
Flippy Frogmen
Monster trading cards
Batman toys ('60s TV show era)
Ben Cooper Halloween costumes
Mouse Trap game
Tiger Island game
G.I. Joe
Major Matt Mason
Tonka trucks
Strange Change Time Machine
Matchbox cars
Army surplus gear (helmets; pistol belts; canteens, etc.)
Wood & steel toy army guns
Colorforms
Monster Bubbles
cheap kites
As for games... my all time favorite as a kid was [url=http://www.007collector.com/bond/?p=27225]Thunderball.[/url] James Bond board game.
I have a lot of fav classic toys.

Super Stretch Armstrong
Zap-it Guns
Mighty Max pocket play sets
Transformers
Those model guns that toys r us use to sell during the 80s and early 90s
POGS
The Original MEGO dolls
Did some research just for fun:
Game Gear was released to the US in 1991. The first Game Gear had a 4 hour battery life, which was extended to 5 in later models. The successor to the Game Gear was the Sega Nomad, which had a 30 minute (!) battery life. I had never heard of the Sega Nomad until just now.
One of the biggest challenges the Game Gear faced in the marketplace was that it was almost double the price of the Gameboy. The battery life problem was another common complaint.
[quote]
On 2012-01-24 18:14, magicalaurie wrote:
How about those plastic paratroopers? Fold his plastic parachute up on his back, throw him as high up in the air as you can and watch him drift back down.
[/quote]

I had one of those. Mine was based on an old 60s TV show called "Ripcord"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055698/
Tinkertoys
Gilbert Chemistry set
Remco Magic set ("Every boy wants a Remco toy . . .and so do girls.")
Lincoln Logs
Kenner Give-a-show projector
Risk, Monopoly, Clue, Careers, Life, Stratego
The wind-up Crashmobile
[quote]
On 2012-01-25 05:41, ed rhodes wrote:
[quote]
How about those plastic paratroopers? Fold his plastic parachute up on his back, throw him as high up in the air as you can and watch him drift back down.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, those parachutes were cool! I was really into things that flew. I eventually started making my own parachutes from handkerchiefs or whatever else I could scrounge up. I always wanted to make a parachute big enough for me. Jumping off the garage roof with an umbrella didn't work. (stupid cartoons...)

I even tried to make a dragster-type parachute for my bike. That didn't work, either...
[quote]
On 2012-01-24 06:16, stoneunhinged wrote:
Does anyone still have any special toys... [/quote]

Yes. A very few. Most of them are given away to younger generations in the family, I think. Least, that's what happened to a lot of 'em. Lost, broken, garbage, too, I suppose. Though my Mom wasn't that keen on throwing such things away, for the most part.
I had put this away, so it's still good! Will be back with a pic of it in one piece, later...

[img]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/magicalaurie/P1180073-1.jpg[/img] [img]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/magicalaurie/P1180074-1.jpg[/img] [img]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/magicalaurie/P1180075-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/magicalaurie/P1180076-1.jpg[/img] [img]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/magicalaurie/P1180077-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/magicalaurie/P1180078-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/magicalaurie/P1190084-1.jpg[/img]
I still have my Aurora racing cars and track and my wife has "Thimble City".

Let's not forget "Whamo", especially "Super Balls".
[quote]
[/quote]

[quote]

[/quote]

[quote]
Yeah, those parachutes were cool! I was really into things that flew. I eventually started making my own parachutes from handkerchiefs or whatever else I could scrounge up. I always wanted to make a parachute big enough for me. Jumping off the garage roof with an umbrella didn't work. (stupid cartoons...)

I even tried to make a dragster-type parachute for my bike. That didn't work, either...
[/quote]

Am I the only kid in the world who understood that I was not subject to the cartoon laws of physics?
In the 1950s I received my favorite toy ever. It was a space station, with little astronauts (i guess) much like toy soldiers but grey in color rather than green. It was a Marx Co. toy. I used to love to make up stories using the "space men" as characters.

Later Marx put out a garage, like a repair shop for cars type garage with a gas station. That was fun too. Both had elevators that worked. It's possible that both toys were made using the same molds. The "people" were rubber and the "structure" was tin. And of course the garage had cars and trucks (very small) while the space station had various kinds of rocket ships.