(Close Window)
Topic: What's your favourite food and beverage?
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Jan 24, 2012 12:36PM)
I love a big juicy rare steak and a Coke. :ohyes:
Message: Posted by: critter (Jan 24, 2012 01:07PM)
Food-
Hard to choose. I am very fond of chicken vindaloo and other curries. I also like lutefisk, big juicy burgers, meatloaf casserole, my Mom's macaroni salad (and only hers), haggis, and my Aunt's huckleberry Jell-O thing she makes using fresh huckleberries. I also like Quiche. My favorite cheese is Norwegian Ekte Gjetost on buckwheat waffles drizzled with a little bit of real maple syrup.

Drink-
Also difficult. Guess I'm partial to iced green tea with a half-packet of Stevia.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jan 24, 2012 01:28PM)
[quote]
On 2012-01-24 13:36, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
I love a big juicy rare steak and a Coke. :ohyes:
[/quote]

Works for me. As Doctor Crow says, "I like it fried, not yuppified."
Message: Posted by: critter (Jan 24, 2012 01:38PM)
Good old sea salt is the best steak rub.
Speaking of which, Wolf Lodge in Montana makes the best Porterhouse in all the land. The last time I was there I think I ate about 3 or 4 lbs of steak, mashed potatoes, grilled vegetables, and a full order of Rocky Mountain Oysters. What a fantastic night that was.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jan 24, 2012 02:04PM)
My favorite drink is Coke Zero. Favorite cuisine is Indian (particularly, I loves me some chana masala & samosas). Also a fan of various vegan varieties of: Mexican food (Hugo's Tacos), pizza (TOMATO JOE'S, Cruzer Pizza, Z-Pizza), cinnamon rolls (Cinnaholic(dot com)), and almost everything on the menu at Native Foods (dot com), and the vegan menu at Tony's Darts Away. For vegan dining at home, just about anything by Gardein is ridiculously good (and authentic).
Message: Posted by: mvmagic (Jan 24, 2012 02:19PM)
Food...hhhmmm...mac and cheese with ground beef and fresh tomatoes. Pesto hollandaise chicken pasta. My chicken salad with Paul Newman's Creamy Cesar dressing...yummy :)

Drinks...coke (with sugar), ginger ale and ice cold water.
Message: Posted by: Marlin1894 (Jan 24, 2012 02:25PM)
Slim Jims and whisky.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jan 24, 2012 02:36PM)
[quote]
On 2012-01-24 15:25, Marlin1894 wrote:
Slim Jims and whisky.
[/quote]

Dr. Bob's favorite breakfast!
Message: Posted by: Frank Douglas (Jan 24, 2012 02:55PM)
Mine would have to be home cooked Thai..... Phad Thai with nam pla, Green curry Chicken, Phad Si-io.

Also just about anything Szechuan.

Cheers
Frank
Message: Posted by: diehards2080 (Jan 24, 2012 07:21PM)
Steak. A nice big jucy steak.


Drink- This is very hard because growing up my taste changes back and foward. Some would be: Coca Rico, Jarritos, Cherry Dr. Pepper, Coke, Rasberry Ice Tea, Vanilla Chai Tea w/Stevia. Also a Corona or Abita would go nice with a good steak.
Message: Posted by: PaulPacific (Jan 24, 2012 08:01PM)
Food: Steak is RIGHT up there! Also bacon! Breakfast in general has always been my favourite meal.

Drink: Sometimes nothing beats a tall ice cold glass of chocolate milk!
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Jan 25, 2012 12:51AM)
Great to see that we're watching what we eat! :goof:

[quote]
On 2012-01-24 15:19, mvmagic wrote:

Drinks...coke (with sugar), ginger ale and ice cold water.

[/quote]

mvmagic, Coke with sugar? :wow:
Message: Posted by: critter (Jan 25, 2012 12:54AM)
I think he means as opposed to the High Fructose Corn Syrup version.
Message: Posted by: critter (Jan 25, 2012 12:59AM)
Right now in the food category I'm pretty into my special "Paleo Trail Mix." It's raw almonds, walnuts, pecans, turkey jerky (not raw, obviously), and freeze-dried raspberries (or blueberries) with no added sugar or preservatives. Just the berries. I mix all that in a small ziplock. Been having it for 2nd lunch every day and it is addictive.

One of the best junk food things I ever tasted was chocolate covered potato chips.

My favorite cookies are a tie between oatmeal scotchies and Walkers Pure Butter Shortbreads. Also love Jammie Dodgers but they're hard to get here and expensive.

Another great drink is ChocoFizz soda.
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Jan 25, 2012 01:02AM)
[quote]
On 2012-01-25 01:54, critter wrote:
I think he means as opposed to the High Fructose Corn Syrup version.
[/quote]

Aahhh, I see... :ohyes:
Message: Posted by: critter (Jan 25, 2012 01:04AM)
The greatest bacon in all the world:
[img]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa90/sawyerrt10_2007/IMG_0872.jpg[/img]
Message: Posted by: S2000magician (Jan 25, 2012 01:05AM)
Food's tough: probably sushi, but I love Thai, Indian, Chinese, Italian, Spanish, and Middle Eastern cuisines (and other Japanese food: udon, soba, teriyaki, tempura). And big, juicy steaks (medium rare).

Beverage: Hefeweizen, especially Berliner-style.
Message: Posted by: Salguod Nairb (Jan 25, 2012 02:35AM)
Arabic burritos with chick peas and jasmine rice with a Diet Coke with mint leaves.
Message: Posted by: Vincero (Jan 25, 2012 02:46AM)
Both are too hard to choose from. I love all sorts of meat, all sorts of salads, all sorts of sauce, and all sorts of flavours. In short, I like all sorts of food. Right now, I wouldn't mind tucking into a decent curry.

As for drink: I'm a huge beer fan. I also enjoy a good whiskey. Still, in most cases, beer is where it's at. A variety of IPAs, Largers, Porters, Stouts, Wheat beers, are amongst a small selection of my favourites. It really depends on the meal, and/or the time of year for which beer I enjoy the most though. Having said that, it's summer over here in New Zealand and I found myself devouring a beautiful 10% stout the other day.... Hmmmm. This question is hurting my brain!!!!!

Zac
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Jan 25, 2012 03:27AM)
[quote]
On 2012-01-25 03:35, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Arabic burritos with chick peas and jasmine rice with a Diet Coke with mint leaves.
[/quote]

Arabic burritos? Small kebabs?

Diet Coke with mint leaves, must try that... :ohyes:
Message: Posted by: mvmagic (Jan 25, 2012 03:54AM)
Actually, with sugar I was referring to normal coke. No light or zero versions for me-I just hate the taste of artificial sweeteners.

Another favorite...a turkey/feta cheese/jalopeno pie. LOVE it. Great for lunch.
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Jan 25, 2012 04:12AM)
[quote]
On 2012-01-25 04:54, mvmagic wrote:
Actually, with sugar I was referring to normal coke. No light or zero versions for me-I just hate the taste of artificial sweeteners.

[/quote]

Wow... :wow:
Message: Posted by: Cliffg37 (Jan 25, 2012 08:20AM)
Give me a nice salmon steak perfectly cooked and lightly spiced with garlic. My wife makes one to die for. Throw in some broccoli and a potato. That and a glass of iced tea would be heavenly.
Message: Posted by: mvmagic (Jan 25, 2012 08:52AM)
When's your wife cooking? I'll bring the wine!
Message: Posted by: MobilityBundle (Jan 25, 2012 10:25AM)
There was a place called River Kwai in Chicago. It was truly magical.

It was a small free standing (well... BARELY standing) building, but the roof was coming down in one corner and there was literally a hole in the wall in another. The furniture was cheap, mismatched plastic lawn tables and chairs. And even still, there was only enough room for three or four tables. Strangely, there were something like 25 chairs though. So you could gather 10 people around a table, but nobody would really be "at" the table.

There were two guys who worked there: Desha and Boonsong. Brothers, according to legend. Desha took orders, Boonsong cooked. Neither of them really spoke any English. Desha would acknowledge orders (or regulars) with hostile sounding grunts, which were usually punctuated by a chuckle.

This place was not open during the day. It opened at 10:00 pm... or so. But people would line up beforehand, sometimes by an hour or more. There was never less than an hour wait to get food. Moreover, there was only one wok (and only one Boonsong), who deliberately cooked dishes one at a time. So even if six people in a party ordered at once, the first one would be finished by the time the last person got their food.

I'm not sure if all this detracted from the whole experienced or enhanced it. But my god, the food was good. I had never had food like that before or since.
Message: Posted by: Kevin Ridgeway (Jan 25, 2012 10:43AM)
Sushi...especially Soft Shell Crab & Spicy Tuna.
Message: Posted by: stoneunhinged (Jan 25, 2012 11:53AM)
[quote]
Beverage: Hefeweizen, especially Berliner-style.
[/quote]

Ah, correction. I don't want to be an a-hole, but as y'all know, I care about beer.

Hefeweizen is a Bavarian specialty originally, and traditionally means that there is yeast (Hefe) in the bottle. (I once explained why I prefer bottled Hefeweizen to keg Hefeweizen, but that's another time and place.)

Berliner Weizen is a Berlin specialty (doh!) which is crystal clear (i.e., filtered to remove any yeast residue) and usually served with either a red syrup or a green syrup.

They are both wheat beers, but taste radically different, and they are served in radically different glasses. The traditional Bavarian Hefeweizen glass is shaped like what Americans call a pilsner glass; Berliner Weizen is served in a very round glass.

On topic: my favorite food--by far--is Asian. I pretty much like nearly every Asian country's contribution to cuisine. Of course, this statement could potentially raise a side issue of which countries belong to Asia. But let's not go there.

My favorite drink? Other than TANG? Uh...take a guess....

:lol:

EDIT:

Strangely enough, Wikipedia seems to be a good resource for the difference.

Hefe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weissbier

Berliner: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_Weisse

Who woulda thought? I thought I was the only one who was a bit anal about beer.
Message: Posted by: Tom Jorgenson (Jan 25, 2012 04:09PM)
I am loving '64' beer. Once you divorce it from the idea that it's beer, it's great. Wheat flavored bubble water that doesn't fatten you up....and you can drink beer all night without getting S-faced.

For food, it would be a toss up between a good Porterhouse, and a Mesquite smoked Tri Tip.

Oh...almost forgot: A cup of Frenchroast with a 1/2 shot of Woodford Reserve, for flavor, every evening about 5.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Jan 25, 2012 06:57PM)
I love a good Chicken Parmesan or a pesto dish of some kind, and my favourite drink is Stella Artois!
Message: Posted by: motown (Jan 25, 2012 09:41PM)
BBQ Baby Back Ribs with a sweet tangy sauce and a Sunner Kolsch from Cologne.

Jeff will know what I'm taking about.
Message: Posted by: S2000magician (Jan 25, 2012 10:24PM)
[quote]On 2012-01-25 12:53, stoneunhinged wrote:
[quote]Beverage: Hefeweizen, especially Berliner-style.[/quote]
Ah, correction. I don't want to be an a-hole, but as y'all know, I care about beer.

Hefeweizen is a Bavarian specialty originally, and traditionally means that there is yeast (Hefe) in the bottle. (I once explained why I prefer bottled Hefeweizen to keg Hefeweizen, but that's another time and place.)

Berliner Weizen is a Berlin specialty (doh!) which is crystal clear (i.e., filtered to remove any yeast residue) and usually served with either a red syrup or a green syrup.

They are both wheat beers, but taste radically different, and they are served in radically different glasses. The traditional Bavarian Hefeweizen glass is shaped like what Americans call a pilsner glass; Berliner Weizen is served in a very round glass.

On topic: my favorite food--by far--is Asian. I pretty much like nearly every Asian country's contribution to cuisine. Of course, this statement could potentially raise a side issue of which countries belong to Asia. But let's not go there.

My favorite drink? Other than TANG? Uh...take a guess....

:lol:

EDIT:

Strangely enough, Wikipedia seems to be a good resource for the difference.

Hefe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weissbier

Berliner: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_Weisse

Who woulda thought? I thought I was the only one who was a bit anal about beer.[/quote]
Thanks. I appreciate the clarification.

;)
Message: Posted by: critter (Jan 25, 2012 10:32PM)
[quote]
On 2012-01-25 23:24, S2000magician wrote:
[quote]On 2012-01-25 12:53, stoneunhinged wrote:
[quote]Beverage: Hefeweizen, especially Berliner-style.[/quote]
Ah, correction. I don't want to be an a-hole, but as y'all know, I care about beer.

Hefeweizen is a Bavarian specialty originally, and traditionally means that there is yeast (Hefe) in the bottle. (I once explained why I prefer bottled Hefeweizen to keg Hefeweizen, but that's another time and place.)

Berliner Weizen is a Berlin specialty (doh!) which is crystal clear (i.e., filtered to remove any yeast residue) and usually served with either a red syrup or a green syrup.

They are both wheat beers, but taste radically different, and they are served in radically different glasses. The traditional Bavarian Hefeweizen glass is shaped like what Americans call a pilsner glass; Berliner Weizen is served in a very round glass.

On topic: my favorite food--by far--is Asian. I pretty much like nearly every Asian country's contribution to cuisine. Of course, this statement could potentially raise a side issue of which countries belong to Asia. But let's not go there.

My favorite drink? Other than TANG? Uh...take a guess....

:lol:

EDIT:

Strangely enough, Wikipedia seems to be a good resource for the difference.

Hefe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weissbier

Berliner: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_Weisse

Who woulda thought? I thought I was the only one who was a bit anal about beer.[/quote]
Thanks. I appreciate the clarification.

;)
[/quote]

Clarification is for distilled products.
Message: Posted by: Salguod Nairb (Jan 26, 2012 12:17AM)
[quote]
On 2012-01-25 04:27, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-01-25 03:35, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Arabic burritos with chick peas and jasmine rice with a Diet Coke with mint leaves.
[/quote]

Arabic burritos? Small kebabs?

Diet Coke with mint leaves, must try that... :ohyes:


Yes, chopped up seasoned kebabs with curry, ground red pepper, and a couple cloves of garlic and chick peas. Add rice and shredded cheese and serve in caboose (arabic pita bread). The mint leaves add a bite to the Diet Coke.
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: Frank Douglas (Jan 26, 2012 04:13AM)
[quote]
On 2012-01-26 01:17, Salguod Nairb wrote:
[quote]
[SNIP]... The mint leaves add a bite to the Diet Coke.
[/quote]


Would that make it a Coke-jito?

Cheers
Frank
Message: Posted by: Salguod Nairb (Jan 26, 2012 09:12AM)
Perhaps, but then I would be charged $7 for a minty Diet Coke.