(Close Window)
Topic: Bionik By David Penn
Launching and available from Blackpool February 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHkQ-Dziy84&list=UUp-UJCv7ACFtbpEEJx6E-Fw&index=7&feature=plcp

David will be giving full demonstrations at Blackpool and also openly showing the gimmick and mechanics behind the effect.
The demo looks really bad. Not very good. To meny cuts. For two guys that allways put down bad demos and then Davids is one of the worst ones. We all know there is a gimmick so whats the big deal. I will wait for reviews.
There is little point showing a WHOLE routine during a trailer, call me old school, but if you show the whole thing, it leaves very little to your imagination. Do you not remember the days of mail order when all you had to go by was the ad copy? I even remember the early days of internet shopping, when items did not even HAVE trailers. On that note, it IS a trailer. A trailer, by definition is a short promotional film composed of clips showing highlights of a 'movie' due for release in the near future. In the case of Magic, 'movie' is obviously replaced with 'effect'. Of course, if the trailer showed things happening that could NOT be done with the sold item, then it would be a 'bad' or misleading trailer.

If you do Metal Bending, this will be a great addition to your routine, and also give you the ability do manipulate different items/parts of items.

Dave showed this to some top magicians at the Session Convention and fooled the hell out of them. Just read the quotes from the likes of Alex Pandrea and Eric Jones.
Not for me thanks
It has to be a similar gimmick to Coinvexed 2.0 (Which I think is fantastic by the way!)to get that angle of bend and make it so clean. I do like the look of it and will check it out at Blackpool before ordering as it ain't cheap!
The gimmick is NOT in your hand, Raymond (nor up your sleeve, before anyone suggests!)
[quote]
On 2012-01-30 07:37, MarcLavelle wrote:
The gimmick is NOT in your hand, Raymond (nor up your sleeve, before anyone suggests!)
[/quote]

Hmmmmm... (whilst rubbing chin with thumb and forefinger...) Interesting, Very interesting...
Don't take it the wroung way. I love most of what David puts out. I love my Coinvexed 2.0. But before I dish out that kind of cash I would like to see a better video or see some good reviews. I can put out a demo showing you a bent knife and then send you a pair of pliers.
Lol
[quote]
On 2012-01-30 10:52, nowyoucme wrote:
Don't take it the wroung way. I love most of what David puts out. I love my Coinvexed 2.0. But before I dish out that kind of cash I would like to see a better video or see some good reviews. I can put out a demo showing you a bent knife and then send you a pair of pliers.
[/quote]

Totally agree, but surely that method would have been spotted? :) Feel free to come see Dave at Blackpool!

It is the same Straight Knife, that the spectator signs, that bends.
Surely you could do the same effect with a coinvexed gimmick and misdirection?
In my opinion, the clip don`t show clearly the total performance of the great magican Dadid Penn in his Bionik.

I love this the kind of effects that use a common object, especially for those working in restaurants!

Falconer
Someone hare on the Café has been using the Osterlind 'in the palm' method for bending knives...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=144766&forum=15

I wonder how this compares to Bionic?
I doubt Bionik will be bought as much as coinvexed was. I think DP is a great guy, but the trailer hasn't convinced me :/
Is this the old belt gimmick?
Pass
[quote]
On 2012-02-03 18:21, magik1 wrote:
Is this the old belt gimmick?
[/quote]
Could be.
Like the bending glass was also a very old idea of Ted Lesley.
I know a few people who have been doing this for quite a while now, not utilizing this gimmick
Alternative free routine: http://youtu.be/tyno3utV1hQ
David Penn is an amazing performer. If you watch his lecture dvd, he is VERY talented. And since he invented this, he probably uses it and should release it so he's credited.

I won't order it and will say why. I watched the trailer a few times and don't see anything to get that excited about. You can knock people out doing this with a spoon ( signed like the knife ) and no gimmick. You can knock them out with a borrowed, signed coin and use no gimmick ( with a switch ) or one of the Sharpie gimmicks.

If you have no experience with any bending of any sorts and saw the ad, I guess you'd be interested. But if that's the case, where would someone like that use this? I say that because they probably aren't performing in venues. Most everything released is bought by people that magic is strictly a hobby. They could buy it to use in their home for guests. But it would be easier and far less expensive to learn a spoon or fork bend.

The 'endorsements' made me laugh. Maybe if James Randi gave one, I'd listen. But friends, who you will not see using this in their professional work?

The endorsements didn't even make sense: "James Bond would be proud". Quick, let me hit the order button. lol.

I'm sure it does what it claims. I'm sure people will buy it and say great things. And then they'll sell it. Not because it isn't great, but because there are far less expensive ways to bend spoon and forks with no gimmicks that amaze people as well as the knife.
I had to laugh when I saw the ad... All moody and mysterious. And then pitching it as if the idea of bending a knife is some incredible new breakthrough

'From the mind of David Penn'...'and I thought if I could bend a fork why not a knife.''

Sorry. I'm sure the method is very clever and David is good magician but sometimes we take ourselves a little too seriously. ;-)
Not liking it at all. Here sign my knife, look its bent. You can keep it if you want. ( Laymen ) look guys I got a bent knife from David ( WoW ) Laymens friends. Big deal you now have a Fu__ up knife. Na not for me.
[quote]
On 2012-02-04 10:18, nowyoucme wrote:
Not liking it at all. Here sign my knife, look its bent. You can keep it if you want. ( Laymen ) look guys I got a bent knife from David ( WoW ) Laymens friends. Big deal you now have a Fu__ up knife. Na not for me.
[/quote]

You could say that about any metal bending. Coin, spoon, fork, key.
As in all things presentation is everything.

Steve
I have coinvexed, will not be buying this or any other Penn product. You know what they "live by the sword...."
[quote]
On 2012-02-04 12:47, J M Talbot wrote:
I have coinvexed, will not be buying this or any other Penn product. You know what they "live by the sword...."
[/quote]
Yes JM, David Penn - "live by the sword die by the sword". An ancient saying but perfectly apt for this time.
I agree with the above posts. Not interested. Won't buy.
Tis sad that they have to edit these topics - Alan Rorrison had some really good points.
I still cant believe they are charging 130 bucks for it.
Not for me as I'm not really in to metal bending, at least not yet. Saying that I am saving up to buy Coinvexed 2 the sharpie edition. Wish the prices were a little lower but I suppose you get what you pay for.

AA
Coinvexed 2 the sharpie edition, is this similar to the Quantem Bender or just a coincidence they use the same marker?

NM
[quote]
On 2012-02-05 20:40, magicnorm wrote:
Coinvexed 2 the sharpie edition, is this similar to the Quantem Bender or just a coincidence they use the same marker?

NM
[/quote]

Not sure, I know both effects have been compared a lot but regards how similar they are someone else will have to advise. I do know that a lot of magic tricks and gimmicks use a Sharpie, it is the marker pen of choice for most magicians!!

AA
I vote this as the worst trick of 2012. It seems as if David Penn is going downhill, especially after the recent WPR disaster...too bad for him.

Regards,
Mike
Can't believe you guys are supporting this guy after the big WPR fiasco.
The demo video shows very little of the effect with no presentation. Thus I have based my post on the presumption that Bionik uses a gimmick for bending the blade of a normal table knife during the course of performance. Based on that, here are my thoughts:-

IMO, bending a table knife right under the nose of the spectator is not an easy task. Thus the effect gains greater importance in cutlery bending.

Knife of various brands display different characteristics in their flexibility, softness/ stiffness and brittleness. It seems that Bionik is using a particular brand(s) of knife which must have been shortlisted after many hours of trials and errors.

Also it would need a specially designed gimmick so as to cater for a quick, smooth and easy bend with all the mechanical advantages built into the gimmick. Also the gimmick should be reasonably small, easy to conceal but at the same time it should be easy to get into position to do the dirty work quickly and efficiently.

Hence I think a lot of brainstorming and hard work must have gone into creating Bionik. However I shall await an honest review.

:xmas:
P.S. My above thoughts are independent and irrespective of the latest controversy surrounding the creator of Bionik. I have focused my thoughts exclusively to the Bionik effect.
Can we try and keep the off-topic beating children posts off here? I think all of us want this thread to stay un-deleted.
Seems that Unknown419 has inadvertently posted in the wrong section.

He sent the same post to multiple discussion
Yes.

There seem to be some sort of a glitch in the system.

[b]Mods can you please look into this.[/b]

BioniK is of interest to me. However, I agree with Ustaad's comments about the type of knife being bent - particularly the brittleness of the knife. You need some serious leverage to bend a knife like it shows in the demo trailer. I am merely speculating here but in all cases shown in the trailer he is wearing some sort of very chunky wristband type of thing. I also will wait for the reviews and comments after Blackpool.
[quote]
On 2012-02-04 13:19, David43 wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-02-04 12:47, J M Talbot wrote:
[/quote]
Yes JM, David Penn - "live by the sword die by the sword". An ancient saying but perfectly apt for this time.
[/quote]

The gimmick could be used to bend a sword
Have to pass on this one
"Sorry"
I am also 'sorry'
I think This looks excellent. I imagine this has been worked a lot prior to release and will be very workable. Looking forward to reviews......as opposed to people just saying they won't be buying it! Very constructive
[quote]
The gimmick could be used to bend a sword
[/quote]

I might try that!
Alan Rorrisons comment " James Bond would be proud" is the worrier for me.

I'd hope that this isn't one of those things which is just an impractical new toy for magicians to play around with then stick in the bottom drawer.

Will wait for the reviews on this I think ---- particularly interested in how practical it is, must admit I've always been under the impression that a knife would in all likelihood shatter if you tried to bend it and the video isn't terribly clear.
I would certainly not do this trick in China. Giving a knife or scissors is a no no.
Also in other countries there is still a lot of superstition about "giving a knife". (most of the time as a gift)

In cultures ranging from Latin America to Asia, giving a knife symbolizes severing a relationship. You give a knife to indicate that you are no longer friends. Among the Bavarian peasants, when a friendship is severed by the gift of a knife or pair of scissors, the untoward result may be averted if the recipient smiles pleasantly when the gift is made.
In Thailand, giving a knife as a gift means you want to hurt the recipient or something like that.
Since it is considered bad luck to give a a knife, money is usually included for the recipient to "buy" the knife. The traditional amount to include with the knife (at least in the USA) is a penny.

That there's no room with the number 13 in the hotel, does not mean that the hotelmanager is superstitious. It is because there are potential clients who belief it in....

Maybe this is splitting hairs, but it is always good to know. When you are performing on a table, it is adviseble not to do it with the only chinese between them :)
Breaking off a friendship by giving a knife seems like asking for trouble :)

steve
[quote]
On 2012-02-07 15:47, steveline wrote:
steve
[/quote]
Indeed :) :) :)

There is also a saying : "never give a knife, as you may be stabbed in the back" :)
[quote]
On 2012-02-07 16:20, Waterloophai wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-02-07 15:47, steveline wrote:
steve
[/quote]
Indeed :) :) :)

There is also a saying : "never give a knife, as you may be stabbed in the back" :)
[/quote]

Interesting effect. Can probably play well after Dobson's "Knife Trough Coat" routine.
[quote]
On 2012-02-07 13:16, Paul S Wingham wrote:
Looking forward to reviews......as opposed to people just saying they won't be buying it! Very constructive
[/quote]
I'd second that.
I am not a mentalist, but have played with some fork bending after seeing Banachek lecture. I am very interested in this.

The whole "giving a knife" thing. If I am performing at a resturant, with "the resturant's" knife (at least in the spectator's mind) and the people aren't my friend then what would the problem be.

Oh, I live in the modern age too.
To me, this looks like something you'd add to an existing metal-bending act. Bend a coin or a key, bend a spoon or a fork, finish up with a knife. Something like that. I can't see it being very strong by itself, but I could see it working as a finale'. Bend the signed knife, hand it out as a souvenir...let the spectator try and straighten the knife and wonder how you bent it. If I already did some metal-bending stuff, I'd consider it.
How does one spell that noise you make that is a mix of a laugh, a cough and a snort?!
[quote]
Interesting effect. Can probably play well after Dobson's "Knife Trough Coat" routine.
[/quote]

Now that actually made laugh out loud whilst easting my breakfast in a McDonalds! ;-)
Oh, yeah. The whole thing's been a real riot. :rolleyes:
...Some people just haven't got a sense of humour have they?
[quote]
On 2012-02-09 03:03, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Now that actually made laugh out loud whilst easting my breakfast in a McDonalds! ;-)
[/quote]

er - me too! (well, not McDonalds!) Some folk need to lighten up.
[quote]
On 2012-02-09 08:22, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
...Some people just haven't got a sense of humour have they?
[/quote]
As yourself if any of the people involved found it funny.
Back to the trick.
Have you seen what a heavy wristband he has ?
I think that wouldn't fit in the kind of restaurants where I perform...
Yep - I have mentioned the rather large wrist band he is wearing in a previous post. Could be wrong of course - pure speculation on my part. However, he is wearing it in ALL of the demo's shown on the trailer....
That wrist sees a lot of action on a daily basis. I'm guessing it's some sort of orthopaedic support...

;)
[quote]
[/quote]

Actually, your mistaken. Knife Through Coat is a Jeff McBride routine.
[quote]
On 2012-02-09 11:14, tomsk192 wrote:
That wrist sees a lot of action on a daily basis. I'm guessing it's some sort of orthopaedic support...

;)
[/quote]

That's even funnier!
[quote]
On 2012-02-09 11:32, ku7uk3 wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Actually, your mistaken. Knife Through Coat is a Jeff McBride routine.
[/quote]

So who's routine is 'Knife Through Recorded Phone Messages'?
I wonder if the mods can take a look through this thread and delete any and all references to the Penn/Petty/Dobson/McBride incident.

As far as I recall we're no longer supposed to be posting about it on the Café and these are clearly indirect posts about the matter. I say this as...

1) that's not respecting Steve Brooks' wishes and
2) some people may actually want to discuss this product and review it etc.

By all means people, say you don't want to buy it if it's not for you, that's all part of the discussion, but can we stop with the jibes, like Mr Brooks said this is only going to go away if we stop discussing it (or words to that effect...)

AA
I second!!!
[quote]
On 2012-02-09 15:11, *double-A-magic* wrote:
I wonder if the mods can take a look through this thread and delete any and all references to the Penn/Petty/Dobson/McBride incident.
[/quote]
They can do that, of course -- but the problem's been reported and no action's been taken.

It's a shame. It reminds of standing in a junior high-school hallway while an unpopular kid walks past -- some kids have to show how cool they are by making childish remarks and giggling behind their hands.
[quote]

As far as I recall we're no longer supposed to be posting about it on the Café and these are clearly indirect posts about the matter. I say this as...

By all means people, say you don't want to buy it if it's not for you, that's all part of the discussion, but can we stop with the jibes, like Mr Brooks said this is only going to go away if we stop discussing it (or words to that effect...)

AA
[/quote]

Okay - I'll quit - but its the nature of the beast I'm afraid. Biggest hoo-hah we've had for ages! Whenever Penn's name crops up - it will undoubtedly stir up some memories!

But you're right! It shouldn't be for here.
I agree. Show some respect!
For crying out loud, Lighten up.

We don't all have to be serious, sometimes a little levity to a conversation is welcoming and entertaining to read. Were not talking about the actual problem, were making jokes and having fun.

If you don't want to read them, then don't. But don't start complaining just to ruin other people's fun.

On that note...

David likes to take something long and hard and make it bend upwards, with a little bit of wrist action. Inuendo jokes write themselves into the act!
[quote]
On 2012-02-09 19:31, ku7uk3 wrote:
David likes to take something long and hard and make it bend upwards, with a little bit of wrist action. Inuendo jokes write themselves into the act!
[/quote]
I take it all back. The humor here is mature and sophisticated.
[quote]
On 2012-02-09 16:18, FrenchDrop wrote:
It's a shame. It reminds of standing in a junior high-school hallway while an unpopular kid walks past -- some kids have to show how cool they are by making childish remarks and giggling behind their hands.
[/quote]

Somebody send that poor kid a S.A.M. membership application, now.
They say the Penn is mighter than the sword.

I think this trick is evidence to that fact, in every sense of the word.
I why does David call it a knife? Surely for him its his version of a credit card.
I'm sorry, I admit it - that Penn joke was a bit Petty.
[quote]
On 2012-02-07 18:20, simcoscor wrote:
Interesting effect. Can probably play well after Dobson's "Knife Through Coat" routine.
[/quote]
Intrigued by the magic with knives? Well, some of you might be interested in [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=45MgSjH5-A4]THIS[/url] …
The (most) interesting part starts approx at 2:15… Well, the first 2 minutes also give food for thought…

Squeak! :banned:
Genius :)
[quote]
On 2012-02-09 20:40, simcoscor wrote:
Well, some of you might be interested in [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=45MgSjH5-A4]THIS[/url] …
[/quote]

Yes, yes, yes! Wow - now there's an entertaining routine! That just happens to have a bit of a magic trick as a bonus. Awesome. Thanks for posting.
Yep, Dobson's one magician who knows funny.
I agree - Magicians are not allowed to have any fun or indulge in any childish humour that lets you escape from the hum-drum of domesicity and evry day life for a split second or two, we can only do that when we are performing for others. OK - lets all be very serious, pompous and boring people.
AND.. the ventriloquism was actually GOOD! Like he had practiced it. Dobson didn't even grab his microphone every time he used the vent voices.
Some people could learn something from that.
Just wonderful.
James
[quote]
On 2012-02-10 01:30, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-02-09 20:40, simcoscor wrote:
Well, some of you might be interested in [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=45MgSjH5-A4]THIS[/url] …
[/quote]

Yes, yes, yes! Wow - now there's an entertaining routine! That just happens to have a bit of a magic trick as a bonus. Awesome. Thanks for posting.
[/quote]
We WERE having fun... with an original and entertaining magic review show.
[quote]

AA
[/quote]
Word!
Let it go guys.
[quote]
On 2012-02-10 12:07, nowyoucme wrote:
Let it go guys.
[/quote]
I totaly agree.

I think that will come very soon.
What you now see is a normal phenomenon.
After such events there seem to be the need for a sort of de-briefing. It has it use in a psychological way.
That's what you see here. Don't force it to go away. It will end in a natural way.
Bloody 'ell, grow up....
And yes let it go..
Posted: Feb 10, 2012 3:11pm           
Famine in Africia, children dying
Syria bombing its innocent subjects with people getting killed everyday
Huge world wide ressesion
Poverty

Could go on but this stuff matters...
Want to spend all day on line writing, I have a suggestion( I'm serous) join amnesty international and put your angry energy into writing emails to oppressive governments and help save some lives rather than use all your energy in bashing people on here.

Just a thought
[quote]
On 2012-02-10 12:18, Waterloophai wrote:
Don't force it to go away. It will end in a natural way.
[/quote]
I think you're half right. I think this thread will die out, if it's not deleted outright, thanks to people who would rather make snide remarks about the effect's creator than talk about the effect. But as soon as Penn or Petty releases another effect and it gets a thread here, it's going to start up again. The days of actually being able to discuss an effect by either of these guys are probably over, because some people can't let go.
The only thing I cannot let go of is the positive impact that show had on my Wednesdays

Ok... now I'll shut up
[quote]
On 2012-02-10 15:53, VernonOnCoins wrote:
The only thing I cannot let go of is the positive impact that show had on my Wednesdays
[/quote]
So true.
[quote]
On 2012-02-10 15:13, timski523 wrote:
Poverty
Want to spend all day on line writing, I have a suggestion( I'm serous) join amnesty international and put your angry energy into writing emails to oppressive governments and help save some lives rather than use all your energy in bashing people on here.
Just a thought
[/quote]

At least, there is a small place for MAGIC beneath your deMAgoGIC post... :)
[quote]
On 2012-02-10 15:13, timski523 wrote:
Posted: Feb 10, 2012 3:11pm           
Poverty

Just a thought
[/quote]

You should try and catch Jerry Sadowitz while he's touring. He'll feed your sense of moral outrage to Michelin starred standards. (Oh, and pretty much no magic either. Personally, I loved it.)
Lol I know Jerry well and he would tear into you lot
None of you have got it at all have u!! So funny,
U not heard of irony! Think about it
Anyway in getting as bad as everyone else slagging people off they don't know and wasting thread...
So sorry
Let's please get back to the topic
I personal look forward to seeing bionic in the flesh, I'm thinking belt thing..?
Timski, I hope you didn't get whiplash from those last two posts. :P
Lol thanks French drop
Good to see a. Good sense of humor on here!! Somewhere lol
Thanks for not bashing me!! I knew I would / will it just had to speak my mind!!
( believe me I held back!)
The using of a belt buckle to bend cutlery goes well back, I remember a European dealer selling a special belt buckle to bend cutlery at the International convention a long time ago. I liked it but you had to wear your shirt tucked in and you could not wear a waistcoat, this was why I didn't buy it, it was a good idea though !

I will have a look at this on Friday at Blackpool.

Ben
Yep need to see it in real life, like the idea
If it is a belt buckle then Debenhams in the UK sells a belt with a buckle that can be used to bend cutlery discretely. It's only about 20 quid and works like a dream.
Have to agree the trailer doesn't do it any favours !
[quote]
On 2012-02-11 03:30, benmagic1 wrote:
The using of a belt buckle to bend cutlery goes well back, I remember a European dealer selling a special belt buckle to bend cutlery at the International convention a long time ago. I liked it but you had to wear your shirt tucked in and you could not wear a waistcoat, this was why I didn't buy it, it was a good idea though !

I will have a look at this on Friday at Blackpool.

Ben
[/quote]

I had a similar one sold by I think Seo Magic. Made by Japan Magician. I went to Seo magic website to find it again, but it is no longer selling the item.

Francis
I have now had the full workings of Bionik shown to me by Dave at the WMS stand in Blackpool.

He revealed all the gimmickry involved.

I think there's a lot of faffing about for a simple bend.

I have coinvexed and I like it. This is nothing like coinvexed.

Bionik also relies on you wearing certain clothes to act as a 'host' for one of the gimmicks.

I don't think this will capture the same interest as coinvexed did. Let's see if others agree.
Clothes limitations can be a negative point for improptu fans like me .
is there a much more detailed review before buying?
thanks a lot
mark
I like the premise of this but have the same thoughts concerning clothing limitations. Does this require that you wear a jacket?
No you don't have to wear a jacket..but there would be more cover if you did. Technically there is a clothing requirement but it is something that 99% of us wear every day.
A good effect no doubt, but an expensive one. I bought one as part of a very good deal inclusing coinvexed, liquid forks etc. I bought it to sell really making the other stuff I wanted very cheap!
Belt
[quote]
On 2012-02-17 12:54, Jamie Ferguson wrote:

* Bionik also relies on you wearing certain clothes to act as a 'host' for [b]one of the gimmicks[/b].
[/quote]
From the above statement it is quite evident that the prop is a two part contraption with PROBABLY one part fixed to the belt (like everybody seems to be guessing) and the other part seem to be attached to a pull. The need for a jacket is probably to hide the critical move.

[quote]
On 2012-02-17 12:54, Jamie Ferguson wrote:

[b]* I think there's a lot of faffing about for a simple bend.

* I don't think this will capture the same interest as coinvexed did. Let's see if others agree.[/b]
[/quote]
[b]I fully Agree.[/b] Being a two part prop and the need for cover to do the moves will certainly keep me away from this. This is certainly not for me.

P.S. Jamie Ferguson: Thank you for an honest review.
Ustead:

The bender is a one part contraption.
You can do a knife bend easily with Guy Bavli's Perfect Key Bending gimmick. I never used the gimmick to do a key because people generally don't want their keys bent, but you can borrow a knife at any restaurant. First performed this back around 2002/3.

No need for special clothes, works with most knives (I never had an issue but just in case one of you try it and it doesn't work I won't say works with all knives), gimmick is easily set up (about 2 seconds if that), work it anywhere, and it costs less than $35USD new!!!

To me it's a no brainer.
[quote]
On 2012-02-20 09:09, pduffie wrote:

Ustead:

The bender is a one part contraption.
[/quote]

Thank you for clearing my misconception Mr. Duffie. OK, I am back in the run and will await a detailed review.

Ok guy bavli keybend can be a clever solution for knife bending.
just a single gimmick and no need for misdirection.
I have thought to the same thing and tried it with good results.
Roslyn and Markhitton: Thank you for suggesting a tried-n-tested method for knife bend using Guy Bavli's Perfect Key Bending gimmick. I will give it a try.

Why spend over £80 when something that's less than £25 does the job better?
Penguin Magic site says the Guy Bavli's Perfect Key Bending gimmick has been discontinued.

Sammy
Get it from Guy directly. $40 USD or £25 GBP approx.

http://www.pro-magic.com/product_detail.php?prod_id=11596
[quote]
On 2012-02-20 17:45, Roslyn wrote:

Why spend over £80 when something that's less than £25 does the job better?
[/quote]

[b]Yes, I agree.[/b]

I have given Bavli's Bending gimmick a try and it works like a charm. Thank you for the alternate suggestion.

P.S. Markhitton suggested (through PM) a minor modification to Bavli's Bending gimmick so as to eliminate any metal to metal contact sound created while inserting/ removing the blade of the knife. It's a nice useful modification. Markhitton, Thank you for sharing you idea. :)

Isn't the Café a great place - Magicians helping Magicians! :) ;)
The creator of the effect has been silent - would be interesting to hear his take
Thanks to you Ustaad ,key-man in the magic Café!
Saw it also at blackpool, too much set up for a knife bent, I will still prefer misdirection and a table!
I agree ArtIn. I personally have been doing metal bending consistantly, almost daily, for 7+ years and I can count on one hand the number of times people have asked me to bend a knife. I say a table is the best and still about as organic as you can get!
IMO
[quote]
On 2012-02-05 20:12, *double-A-magic* wrote:
Not for me as I'm not really in to metal bending, at least not yet. Saying that I am saving up to buy Coinvexed 2 the sharpie edition. Wish the prices were a little lower but I suppose you get what you pay for.

AA
[/quote]

Of course if metal bending is not your style this will not be for you.

For me this is amazing.

Thank You David just stunning stuff.

Ian
Hy for all the goodness in the world we have to bend a knife? why not bend
a car or an airplane or the statue of liberty?

just kidding:)

I do metalbending aswell a coupple of years now and perhaps this system is the way to go.
I don't know anything about the gimmick.

it would really be appriciated to see an entire presentation of it. would be easier for deciding
to buy it or not.

thanks david penn for your great ideas and inventions.

best and good luck for the release of bionic
I thought I'd wait until I'd actually performed with this at a gig before giving my thoughts. I did a kids party on Thursday and an adults party for about 90 folks last night. At the kids show I was wearing jeans with no jacket for most of the time as it was unseasonably mild here in York. For Friday's gig I was suited and booted.
The first thing to say is that despite the gimmick being in full view at the kids show all afternoon, it raised no interest whatsoever.

I've been doing coinvexed for years since it first came out. I get many bookings from people who've seen me doing it at gigs and want me to do it for their party so I know how strong it is. I prefer the original coinvexed. I feel less confident with the mechanics of coinvexed 2.

Well it's early days playing with Bionik but so far I'm delighted with the reactions I'm getting with this and I'm sure they will only get better. The mechanics of the effect are pretty straightforward. There's really nothing to stress about and you can focus on presentation. There's a couple of variations in presentation you can use for this shown on the DVD and some subtleties you can add. I've gone for the unsubtle approach and I've been using the Dee Christopher reveal which IMHO looks sensational.

Before doing the reveal I pose a question: if you were stranded on a desert island which would you rather have a knife or a fork? If they say the fork I give them back the fork. If they say the knive I put the fork away in my pocket and either way I've got the knife ready to reveal the bend.

The rest is acting.

Don't do what I did and buy cheap knives from T....s. They are 4 for a quid and bend really easily but unfortunately you can bend them back with your little finger. You do want to ask your spec if they can bend the knife back. If they can it spoils the impact. For gigs I bought some tougher knives from a kitchen shop that cost me 90p each. So I''ve been looking for some remaindered knives today and found some at 6 for a pound which should work.

So all in all it's a worker for me. I probably won't do this at every table, just the ones where folks are really into magic or have been warmed up a bit but I can't see this ending up in a drawer anytime soon.
Thanks for the review Martin.
Thanks Martin - how hard is the misdirection if I might ask?

Justified I'm sure?
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 14:21, saysold1 wrote:
Thanks Martin - how hard is the misdirection if I might ask?

Justified I'm sure?
[/quote]
Pretty easy if you follow the routine on the DVD which is well thought out but I'm sure you could come up with your own version too if you wanted.
I bought this at the Blackpool convention in a bundle deal, I have not tried this as yet but I can see this as a really strong trick if you are in to metal bending ! I knew the method before I bought this and the gimmick is well made, if you want to bend a knife then this would be the perfect way to achieve this.

Ben
I hope this gimmick is different from the old belt gimmick.
if this is what I think is really good and useful.
also suitable for bend handle of spoons and forks.
Is the gimmick unconfortable to wear?
can be put on and hold for all the day?
does it need a lot of misdirection without teh jacket cover?
thanks everyone for the help.
Did a really wild hunt ball on Saturday night where I ended up performing for about 6 hours under arduous conditions. It was absolute mayhem and I exhausted both myself and my supply of knives.

In terms of comfort, you do need to adjust the gimmick a bit to suit you but its really no big deal.

Last week I did a kids show in the afternoon with juggling outside as well so no jacket. Had the gimmick on me all the time with no issues or attention paid to it at all.
[quote]
On 2012-02-28 11:23, inorthcott wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-02-05 20:12, *double-A-magic* wrote:

AA
[/quote]

Of course if metal bending is not your style this will not be for you.

For me this is amazing.

Thank You David just stunning stuff.

Ian
[/quote]

I'm struggling to understand why you quoted me and what point you are trying to make.

My comment was merely just my opinion on the effect, it was only meant in the spirit of engaging with the magic community. I thought these threads were here for users to discuss the product, both those who want it and those who might pass on it.

If you believed my comments to be malicious, in paticular with regards the recent controversy, then I assure you they weren't and my post on page 3 of this thread would back that up.

Anyhoo - there's enough bickering on here without me getting involved so back to the Magic....!!

I would like to venture in to metal bending and imagine I definitely will in the future. Bionik won't be my first purchase though, I'm still saving for Penn's other effect Coinvexed 2.0, not long now... :)

AA
AA, you said "Not for me as I'm not really in to metal bending." Ian replied "Of course if metal bending is not your style this will not be for you."

Where's the malice or bickering? I don't see any.
[quote]
On 2012-03-12 17:35, FrenchDrop wrote:
AA, you said "Not for me as I'm not really in to metal bending." Ian replied "Of course if metal bending is not your style this will not be for you."

Where's the malice or bickering? I don't see any.
[/quote]

I may have completely misread Ian's post and if that's the case then I apologise for my post. When I first read it I felt it was unnecessary to quote me and thought the context of his reply was defensive of the product and as if he thought I was one of the many users having a pop at David Penn on this thread. I just wanted to clear it up that I wasn't.

Sorry if I have caused any unnecessary animosity, I certainly don't want to be making any enemies around here.

AA
Bionik gimmick is a clever idea which relies on a gimmicked b..t I saw some years ago.
it is useful for a quick bending of silverware handles .
misdirection is needed but following the instructions it is not difficult.
the move is not to do in front of spec best turn the body quickly.
the gimmick ,in my opinion,coulb be done in a better way.
it is bulky,big and not so confortable .
also the slot could be much more invisible and silent.
in any case good gimmick but too expensive for my pockets.
mark
I was at Shari's with a group of people last night. The person I was sitting next to asked if I could bend a spoon, random, but I did. Great reactions to it, I was then asked about bending a knife. I came on here thinking about how nice of a routine this would be to have.
[quote]
On 2012-03-13 17:15, Blindside785 wrote:
I was at Shari's with a group of people last night. The person I was sitting next to asked if I could bend a spoon, random, but I did. Great reactions to it, I was then asked about bending a knife. I came on here thinking about how nice of a routine this would be to have.
[/quote]

It's always the case, isn't it? I hate it when I get asked to do something I'm not set up for!
Just a question.is there a routine for bending just one knife without the fork and the signature procedure?
I think it is necessary to turn around just a second to do the move.
in this case if I have just one knife I must try to misdirect
has someone tried a motivation for this kind of scenario?
best
mark
No one has tried to do it with just a knife or with a different routine?
in the dvd david just show one routine with signature if am not wrong.
best
Here's a picture of the after effects of Bionik. The effect is over and I'm going to my pocket to pull out something else. The gimmick, in theory should be in plain view but as you may or may not be able to tell, there's not much to see.
Thanks martin ,do you follow the main routine or did you try bending just one knife with another kind of misdirection?
in any case very useful gimmick for metal benders!
Martin do you do a lot with forks or spoons? I am almost thinking it is good just to have like once or twice a night in a bar setting.
I agree just one or two are good enough to entertain the audience.
then the handle bending is powerful because it is impossible to do bare hands.
this makes the effect unbelievable
Mark.
I just followed the standard routine as taught but with some added scripting of my own.

Yes ideally you need to source the right sort of knives i.e. ones that can't be bent/bent back with your fingers. I'm still working on a regular supply at the right cost. The last lot were in a pack of 12 for £5.75 and were ideal but they were the last pack my local kitchen store had left! Doh.

Luke.
I agree. I'm probably not going to do this at every single table. I'll probably save it for tables where I think I might get the best reactions.
Thanks martin