(Close Window)
Topic: What motivates you?
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Feb 12, 2012 03:00PM)
What book (magic or non-magic related) motivates you? Also is there a DVD that does the same?

Mark
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Feb 15, 2012 02:32PM)
Well, I'll start. I favor sport movies, Rudy, Rocky I, Miracle etc. Magic wise old videos of David Copperfield, World's Greatest Magic I & Lance Burton's dove act. This fires me up to practice, practice, practice!!!

Mark
I love to watch anything with Michael Ammar. He just has a way with words
The money for one. Big pay days really make me give just that much more to the art that I am blessed to get paid to do.

Other times is having something new that really helps to keep me interested.
Watching videos of Lennart Green doing cardwork motivates me; he's so good with cards, makes me want to do better.
Some of my favorite motivational material comes from authors such as Brian Tracy ('Maximum Achievement', 'Change Your Thinking Change Your Life', 'Speak to Win', etc.); Les Brown ('Live Your Dreams', 'It's Not Over Until You Win', etc.); David J. Schwartz ('The Magic of Thinking Big'). Steve Martin's 'Born Standing Up' describes the trials and tribulations of an entertainer's life (will either inspire you or discourage you completely if you can't take the hardship involved).

Magically, I have always enjoyed 'The Fitzkee Trilogy', 'Tarbell', and anything from the mind of Max Maven (Phil Goldstein) and Eugene Burger.

Ray
Le Plus Grand Cabaret du Monde

Idears from.
Tom Stone
Paul Gordon
R. Paul Wilson
Rune Klan
Max Maven
Dai Vernon - Revelations series
Anything fiction. Sometimes I just need to give my brains and hands a break. I'll take a book and go hide somewhere and forget about magic for a while.
To be honest, and I'm not sure I should really be admitting to this in public but, sitting down to watch a Harry Potter movie, especially the earlier to middle order ones. always seems to get me thinking creatively.

Beside the obvious magical content of the films I think it is the music and the production style that gets me thinking of creating new effects. Puts me in mind of doing something that really has a feel of the impossible about it.

Richie.
For me its seeing people that are better than me at what I am trying to accomplish so I know that it is possible to do what I am trying to do as well as so that I can tell myself everyday you are not trying to accomplish this goal that person is already moved onto something else!
It's a double edged sword- Tommy Wonder. Watching his old vids is motivating and tremendously discouraging at the same time!

:smiletear:
Reading
Excellent performances motivate me. When I see an excellent performance, act, or show. It get my juices flowing for week or two.
For books, Mr. Tommy Wonder's books motivate me. For videos, all Mr. Lance Burton's act really let me feel magic and inspired me and motivated me!
For me, its music. Music is not only motivating but may also help with creativity. Andre Kole once told me that he found classical music to be inspirational when creating a new illusion.