(Close Window)
Topic: Heart Silk
For many years I have had a 24" white silk with a large red heart on it. The heart is done with a Sharpie Pen. The pattern for the heart was cut from a file folder on the fold crease so that it would be semetrical when opened out flat. It has been very useful as a production in many different circumstances.

For me it has a very special use. I can use it with my wife Lucy on stage.

I Love Lucy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Wiz Kid Ee-gee-fiki (formerly known as Eleazar) used to be able to perform his "Every Century Silks" effect (from The Wizards' Journal #8) with Dollar Store scarves which frequently came with hearts designs. Now, with the demise of many of the Dollar Stores in our area, he has had to start with a plain white silk decorated with hearts as Bob Sanders suggests. The problem there is that the silks must be identical or they give away the effect. Then he discovered that he could get Dollar Store scarves that had pink and white designs- not necessarily the big heart that he wanted for a Valentine, but a busy pattern in pink and white. He used a red sharpie and template to draw the big heart design on these silks... maybe polyesters is a better word... and I showed him how to put resist around the edges of the heart. Resist is a special glue-like substance that keeps silk dye from spreading or bleeding out beyond the resist boundaries. Once the dye is set (by ironing) the resist can then be washed away, leaving only the large red heart in tbe middle of the pink and white designs of the polyester. We get the dyes and resist from the Dharma Trading Company, and the resulting silks look very good for the effect. The busy pattern of pink and white designs around the heart makes it impossible to tell that the two silks are duplicates, especially since they are never seen together.
While we're on the subject of marking silks, had anyone checked out the new Sharpie Markers designed for fabric? I'm not sure if they work well on silk, but they claim to be brighter and better for fabrics. I may buy some and test them when a need arises for me, but right now I only found them in a large, multi-colored pack. Maybe someone will test them out before I have too! :)

Regan
Regan,

Once you test them out will you make a new post with your results?

Thanks,

Pete
Pete, I will try to remember to, but I am not sure when that will be. I do not have a need to use them right now, and I really don't want to purchase an entire pack just to test them. The only set I saw had like 6 or 10, maybe 12 markers in it. They may be available in smaller packs, or in single colors, but I could not find them. They must be relatively new, and maybe Sharpie will offer different packs later if they aren't right now.

I was hoping someone else would be the tester! Having said that, if a need arises and I need to color a silk I will by all means buy one, or an entire set if it includes the color(s) I need...and if so I will try my best to remember to post the outcome.
Thanks! I will return the favor if I do the same.

Pete
Welcome...and thank you too!
Regan,

I have looked but can't find the new Sharpie Fabric Markers. I really thought Staples would have them but not here. Help!

The special fabric wax crayons, I have used but it takes extra steps covered in my lectures. Sharpie pens are much faster.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I just bought a four pack for $6.99 at Meijer. Red, Blue, Green and Black.
Chris,

Thanks for letting us know where to get them. Meijer doesn't market here but I will be in Ohio in April and May.

Please keep us posted on how well it works for you.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[quote]
On 2012-03-25 17:40, ChrisG wrote:
[/quote]
Chris,

How well did they work?

Bob
[quote]
On 2012-03-16 07:52, Bob Sanders wrote:
Regan,

I have looked but can't find the new Sharpie Fabric Markers. I really thought Staples would have them but not here. Help!

The special fabric wax crayons, I have used but it takes extra steps covered in my lectures. Sharpie pens are much faster.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[/quote]
Bob, I apologize for taking so long to answer. I just saw your request.

Walmart carries the Sharpie Fabric Markers. I have seen them at several locations around here. When I first saw them they were not in the same isle with the other Sharpies. I'm not sure where they were, but I remember spotting them at the end of an isle...probably just so people like me would notice them! Since then I have seen them with the markers, pens, pencils, etc. I first only saw them in larger packs of like 10 or 12, but I think they come in a smaller pack. (maybe 4) I still haven't had a need for them yet, and I hate to buy a pack and not use them. When I have a need a will try them if I can find the correct color.

Regan
Bob
So far I have only used it on muslin bags and works great. They don't bleed with the heavy fabric.

Once I get better with my lettering I will try them on silk.
Everyone is also not considering the magic machine they are sitting in front of right now.

An ink jet printer can print on fabric, and also iron-on designs.

They sell 8.5" by 11" silk fabric on a card that will go through your printer. If you have a large format printer, they also sell large size fabric cards.

They also sell transfer paper for iron-on designs that can be applied to silk.

Here is the easy way to print a heart. In your word processor or publisher program, pull up character map. Under Times Roman font, there will be heart, diamond, club, and spade symbols. Now increase the font size or type in a number beyond the sizes available to make it the size you desire.

There is also drawing shapes available and there is a heart design. Pick the heart and insert it into your page. Now put your mouse pointer on a corner and drag the heart to the size you desire. Now click on the heart, and then choose fill color from the menu. Click on Red, and the heart will fill with red.

There may also be clip-art that you may like to chose as well on your computer, on the Internet, or Microsoft web sit for free clip art.

Now you can also place any text you wish on the page.

Insert the silk material or iron-on and print.

On some of the sewing TV shows they also show how to print directly on your own loose fabric. I don't have a link to this, but it is for smaller fabric material than a silk.
My wife and the ladies she quilts with use butcher paper to run through the printer to make their iron on transfers.
I found those special Sharpie Pens at WalMart!

Bob
Here is another thread about Heart Silks I found. It may add something missed in the new one.
Or you could just go to your local screen printing shop and have it done correctly.