(Close Window)
Topic: best levitation trick to purchase
I have been reading alot latey about both ground zero and pocket levatator. Which one is better? They are both around the same price. There is also one that sells for about 40 dollars but I cn't remember the name of it. Input from those who have expreience with these or others is appreciated
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (May 8, 2002 11:35AM)
In my opinion, just learn how to do the standard Balducci.

It's perfectly impromptu, and will often have the same psychological impact on your spectators as any of the gimmicked 'enhancements'.

If you're performing in a situation where you have time to prepare, then there are far better levitations/suspensions than Ground Zero or Pocket Levitator.
I second the Balducci! Never got on with Zero Gravity. Pocket levitator isn't very good, according to some of my colleagues.
If performed well the balduci-lev is great. Watch your angle's and don't do it for more than 3 people. Then let them spread the word and don't do it again for the same people. The levitation blaine did was not the one you saw,but this one! :bunny:
I'm putting together a small street act and was looking into getting Zero Gravity by Mike Bent...but I'm not sure. What are your suggestions on the best, most reliable, leviation on the market? I'm shying away from the Balducci because most people know how's its done thanks to the masked street magician. Also, I think seeing BOTH feet come off the ground is much more killer to an audience. :dance:
With Zero Gravity the angles are vastly improved. That allows larger audiences to watch you levitate. Also, you don`t have to be as concerned with the exact placement of the spectators.

You may also want to check out Steve Fearson`s "Fantastic Floatation". It looks pretty good to me. I`m sure it is discussed somewhere here in the Magic Cafe. You can see it performed at http://www.downloadmagic.com/ .
I was a bit dissapointed with zero gravity, it is clever, but for someone who will be out on the street perfroming and not be as easily able to "set up" and clean up, as it takes a bit too much modification to "something" to make it comfortable to keep walking around doing magic.

While being done, it is pretty good, but in my opinion - it is only a little more angle proof than a regular Balducci. Butregardless, I wouldnt want to continue working the street without "ditching the gimmick" which would be hard to do (in my opinion)

As for Fanstastic flotation it takes amuch more "complicated" gimmick. I do not own one, but think for a street performer - it would not be a good thing. Fearson's Box Floation on the other hand also takes a gimmick (the box), but it is much easier to get in and out of, and can even double to be hold things for you. (this will make sense if you have seen it)

Balducci has limits, but for impromptu levitation - it is clean amnd can be pretty amazing.

BroDavid
I have seen Fantastic Floatation performed on the street. You have to be careful and choose the right spot but it can be done. Done properly, it`s a great way to get attention and start your act.

Risto
[quote]
On 2002-05-18 08:36, BroDavid wrote:
I was a bit dissapointed with zero gravity, it is clever, but for someone who will be out on the street perfroming and not be as easily able to "set up" and clean up, as it takes a bit too much modification to "something" to make it comfortable to keep walking around doing magic.
While being done, it is pretty good, but in my opinion - it is only a little more angle proof than a regular Balducci. Butregardless, I wouldnt want to continue working the street without "ditching the gimmick" which would be hard to do (in my opinion)

[/quote]

I've done Zero Gravity on the street and it is great. You wear "the gimmick" all day. There is nothing to get in and out of. If you combine the gimmick with a black piece of material that you lay on the ground it becomes even more angle proof. You can also wear something inside of the gimmick to reduce..er..treadware? It does not have to be done exposed to the elements if you get my meaning. :)

You just need to go beyond the manuscript a little bit to bend the gimmick to fit the street. I believe the bit about a black rug or ground cloth is also mentioned in the manuscript as a way to improve angles.

IMHO it is MUCH better than a regular Balducci as it can play for a larger audience. Also as a note of interest in the recut of David Blaine's first special blaine uses Zero Gravity in the shot on the steps.

It is a great trick.
[quote]
As for Fanstastic flotation it takes amuch more "complicated" gimmick. I do not own one, but think for a street performer - it would not be a good thing. Fearson's Box Floation on the other hand also takes a gimmick (the box), but it is much easier to get in and out of, and can even double to be hold things for you. (this will make sense if you have seen it)
[/quote]

I built one of these boxes and it has many more angle problems than Zero Gravity does. You also can not use it to hold props, you would ruin the gimmick.

But I will tell you, I've done this trick in parlor shows and it absoloutly astonishes people.

It is a great trick just not for street shows especially a circle show.

[quote]

Balducci has limits, but for impromptu levitation - it is clean amnd can be pretty amazing.

[/quote]

The balducci is hard to beat for an impromptu levitation and when done right will have people floored.

Best,

Dan-
I almost completely agree with Danny Hustle and since I really havent used Zero Gravity, I read the manuscript and tossed it aside, I certainly will humbly defer to his actual experience on that one.

As for Fearson's Box, I have a "tent fold" sign that goes into my Box first - and comes out last.

This allows me a couple of luxuries in that the gimmick is not revealed when the box is sitting awaiting a performance, and the gimmick is protected protected against anything that might be otherwise damaging.

I like the idea of putting out a sign and this one is a nice fit to sit approriately in the box, and it stands on its own near my perfomance signaling a high flying act, and coincidently cutting down on the available lines of vison and bad angles. I have thought of making another one also to give even more cover, but so far havent needed it.

BTW I use a plastic gimmick so although it needs certain protections, it is a bit more rugged and with my sign in place the gimmick itself doesnt acutally get touched by anything that I store in it.

So for me it does double duty. And it isnt just another prop to handle. It handles some of my other props too.

But we do come to the same conclusion, if you need clean impromptu, Balducci will amaze!

BroDavid
[quote]
On 2002-05-19 21:28, BroDavid wrote:
As for Fearson's Box, I have a "tent fold" sign that goes into my Box first - and comes out last.

[/quote]

Wow, this is brilliant. I have used a flat sign (per instructions) which of course, is the basis for my previous opinion.

By using a tent fold it is a whole new story. Such a simple, but elegant, soloution. Thanks for sharing it and do you mind if I make one for my box?

Just a great, great, idea.

Best,

Dan-
Be my Guest friend!

If I dont want something used by others, I just dont share it ;) And I do have a few tricks that fall into that category.

But this one is - as you say is simple, and i find it to be effective. And I am honored that you would want to use the concept!

BroDavid
[quote]
On 2002-05-20 14:53, BroDavid wrote:
Be my Guest friend!

If I dont want something used by others, I just dont share it ;) And I do have a few tricks that fall into that category.

But this one is - as you say is simple, and i find it to be effective. And I am honored that you would want to use the concept!

BroDavid

[/quote]

Thanks a million!

Best,

Dan-
I love performing Neo-rise (got mine from http://www.alakazam.co.uk). It's not as 'clean' as the Balducci, but much more angle proof as you can have spectators around almost 180 degrees. The gimmick is also comfortable to wear (I used to wear it to my day job, just in case :))
I highly recommend both Fearson's Floatation and his newest release where you "levitate" in a beer crate. We used both of these for a Red Bull promotion recently ("Red Bull Gives You Wings") and got phenomenal reactions from the audience. They're also both pretty easy to use (even on the street), and are killer effects if combined.

Just my two cents worth...

JACQUES ;)
I don't know if any of you guys like ellusionist because I know I really don't. Except the new levitation there is genious. For 18 dollars a completly gimmick free levitation where both feet can be seen coming off the ground and your back isn't turned. Both toes rise right off the ground. It might sound hard to believe as it was for me. But I decided to actually buy it and well it is amazing.
http://www.ellusionist.com Look for the king lev. right on the main page watch the preview if you do not believe me. It is amazing.
Which book or tape can I learn the Balducci levitation?? :confused:
Michael Maxwell explains the Balducci levitation on his Self levitation video and also on "Learn to levitate". You may want to check http://www.magicsmith.com for more details.
Doc Hilford's levitation video offers not only the Balducci but several other great alternatives, all impromptu. Excellent value for the money on that one!
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
[quote]
On 2002-05-29 22:50, Ben7217 wrote:
I don't know if any of you guys like ellusionist because I know I really don't. Except the new levitation there is genious. For 18 dollars a completly gimmick free levitation where both feet can be seen coming off the ground and your back isn't turned. Both toes rise right off the ground. It might sound hard to believe as it was for me. But I decided to actually buy it and well it is amazing.
http://www.ellusionist.com Look for the king lev. right on the main page watch the preview if you do not believe me. It is amazing.
[/quote]
I have one question: Why do we never fully see the whole shot of him rising and only get close ups of his feet? Does this have to do with how the effect is accomplished? It looks amazing, but I wonder if you have to direct them to look at only your feet and not look up at you.
Greg
Well, from other posts it says that it is "easier" to do the effect if you're wearing a jacket. Maybe that has a hint to it..?
I use the balducci levitation once in awhile but I'm really interested in this new one, the King Levitation. Maybe I'll think about it or try to figure it out myself in the future. :)
I might actually send for this... I've spent much more on terrible items so this won't break my bank account. If I end up getting it I'll post my opinions.
Greg

Well, what do you know? I downloaded the levitation. Here are my thoughts: It's not a new principle, but a great new spin on it. It will take a bit of practice, but it is worth it. I like a lot of the thinking that went into it. I recommend for all those that just want to add another weapon in their arsenal of magic. For seventeen bucks you get a cool idea so keep it to yourself.
Greg
Following Greg's lead, I also downloaded the King's Levitation from ellusionist.com. I own Zero Gravity, but have never taken the time to construct what needs to be constructed. I know the gist of the Balducci, though I'm not familiar with all of the details.

In terms of angles, Zero Gravity is definiately the best, because you can do it with people on three sides. However, King's Levitation is GREAT because it is impromptu, and BOTH shoes clearly rise up. There are no gimmicks to construct and have with you! I haven't tried it yet because I just watched the video moments ago. I know it will take some practice (nothing grueling, just practice). The only drawbacks are that 1) you must wear a jacket (no, you are not hiding behind it during the levitation—you just need it for one aspect of the routine). This isn't a drawback because I wear a tux when I do magic, and wear a sport coat and tie at work. 2) the spectators really need to look at the trick from one direct angle. As long as you can control the situation in terms of angles, this seems like a real powerful illusion, different in details from both Zero Gravity and Balducci. I'm glad I downloaded it. Thanks to Ben7217 above who posted the note about this. From what I know about the Balducci, this seems like a huge improvement.
Has anybody purchased or seen a demo of something called "Wild Levitation"? It appears to be a similar principle to Fearson's, but from a different angle that the body appears to 'float' on, and also requires a jacket. But it's cheaper than Fearson's and seems to have virtually the same effect, except that one shoe must be covered by the jacket, whereas Fearson's requires sewing the pants and other prep work that to me isn't wearable for impromptu situations.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how this compares to Zero Gravity/Pocket Levitator, which I really haven't seen ... are these basically just rising shoe effects with a shoehorn of some sort?
I've just downloaded and seen King's Levitation video and I think it is really good - very effective. Anyway, I don't know the details of the others levitations so I cannot really compare. I think I will use this one, after some practice.

Gio
is the king levatation that much different from the balducci?, and that much better? :bikes:
I own several of the levitation's previously discussed, and in their own way I like each of them.

It really depends on the location, the audience, the prep time, and of course your own personal preference. I like to use a ("modified") "pocket levitator" when I'm in a pinch. If I'm performing in my living room or someplace similar then I'll use the "Fearson's Box" of "Fantastic Flotation". The "Balducci" and "Zero Gravity" are also pretty cool depending on the angles and so forth of course. If I wanna do something a little silly perhaps I might perform "Looy's Sooperman" from the Paul Harris in the book Close-up Entertainer.

If I want to levitate someone other then myself then most of the time I'll stick to something along the lines of a U.F Grant levitation or perhaps the "Suspension Levitation" in the Mark Wilson Book Encyclopedia Of Magic.

Again IMO it depends on what your going for, this is a question where you can get some great solid opinions but you'll have to find the levitation that is right for you, and what you wanna accomplish.

Good Luck !!!! :cheers:
Sorry if this is off-topic, but it was mentioned in the very first post of this topic. What is Ground Zero, and where can I read about it? I've never heard of it before.

Thanks for the comments on King.

-Corey
>I heard wild levitation is suppose to be
>good. My friend bought his here.

Thanks. I did buy it, and it seems to be a decent effect, but I have yet to perform it. The instructions ought to really have illustrations ... they refer to a lot of positions, but you need a heck of a lot of conceptual dexterity to figure out what they're talking about.
Ok, thank you davekilpatrick, that really cleared up somethings for me about the King Levitation.
Thanks.:)
Hey, guys,

Can anyone tell me where I can find:
Spirits in the Sky,
Dracula rising,
Neo Rising,
Balducci Version 2

Thanks. I am compiling a full list of levitation and their secret. So far i have about 9 different levitations.
Why are you "compiling a full list of levitations?"
Guys, I gotta tell ya. Self-levetations are not only angly, but they are also CONDITIONAL. You can't "just do them". The spectator's cannot know what is going to happen before hand. Lighting is a factor as well. a darker atmosphere is better than a brightly light one.

I have "seen 'em all" (or close to it anyway), and the best one, IMHO, is still the Balducci. A common mistake that guys make when performing this effect is that they try to go as high as they can. Only go about one or one and a half inches off the ground. Height is a non-issue. I mean, ask any one else to lift themselves off the ground even a half inch. Besides the spectators memory will embellish the effect, and a week later they will swear that you were a foot off the ground, and that they saw both feet in the air, etc.
:devilish:
davekilpatrick:

To be honest...FOr the sloe purpose of my enjoyment. Yes, I am wierd.
Just afraid you're preparing the next Fox special exposing all the ways to self-levitate. (It's too bad we have become paranoid.)
Let's just kill the MAsked MAgician....:)
I saw the late Bob McCalister perform
his levitation effect at a Magic Convention.
in New jersey.It is still the best I have seen for parlour or stage.
I forgot the name of it but he used a small
cloth and a bag.there could not be anyone behind him or at the sides.
Has anyone seen it performed or know the name of it?
[quote]
On 2002-08-11 09:18, charliemagic wrote:
I saw the late Bob McCalister perform
his levitation effect at a Magic Convention.
in New jersey.It is still the best I have seen for parlour or stage.
I forgot the name of it but he used a small
cloth and a bag.there could not be anyone behind him or at the sides.
Has anyone seen it performed or know the name of it?

[/quote]
Maybe this is the levitation called, "In-Flight"? What happens is you stand in a type of milk crate(it's not Fearson's crate levitation) and you pull up a cloth in front of you and you "float" up and down behind the cloth. It looks like the spectators or audience with this has to be in front of you and not behind or the sides. It's not the pocket levitator either.
Is this what you was talking about? I hope I helped you in some way.
Just my 2 cents..
Mack Magic
Bob actually performed one of the oldest self-levitations in the book. It is found in the U.F. Grant pamphlet called “Bodies In Orbit”. The levitation is titled “Self-Rise. It is the one that Martin Lewis used to perform in his club act. There is a rather expensive version using an “open-sided” cardboard box and drape out based on this principle. It is old wine in a new bottle!
I have been wanting a good self levitation so far my fav is king rising it rocks but I want one that is a little more inpromptu but not balducci!

PS:corey king your levitation is the best People just stare at me like "what?" :confused:
Thanks, Link! Glad you like it.

-Corey
Another good but very unpopular levitation is Raven's flight to know more PM me or email me at Pianoman@one.net
Thanks Mack Magic & Mumblepeas.
The descriptions are accurate,
that was the one.
Fearson's Fantastic Floatation is the best but isn't always practical.Wild Levitation on the other hand is much less expensive and one I use almost everyday.It is better than Mayne's!
Is there a thread on Fearson's Fantastic Floation? I can't seem to find one. I'm interested in buying it for my parlour show. Any suggestions? Bob
magic@rushmore.com