(Close Window)
Topic: Basics of the Memorized Deck
I have been learning Tamariz' stack as I would like to learn some tricks with a memorized deck. I am reading through Mnemonica I have to say that I am finding it a bit heavy going as I have never done any tricks with a MD before and it all seems a bit technical. Are there any good sources for introducing memorized decks and routines that might give me some background knowledge before I delve deep into Mnemonica? Thankyou
Go to Simon Aronson's website:

http://www.simonaronson.com/home.htm

then go the Magicians Only section and download "Memories Are Made Of This"
What's the problem? You have Tamariz' book and ask for good sources? Everything you want to know (and more) is right there. Just read it. There's even a basic routine to develop your skills, called "Divination". And don't forget to follow Tamariz' advice: Learn, study and practice "Divination". When you're ready to perform, throw the book away and perform the routine as often as you can.
Pit Hartling has a great effect called unforgettable. It is a wonderfully constructed effect.
With only two perfect faro shuffles, Hartling's Unforgettable is of course the perfect trick for someone, who finds Mnemonica a bit technical...
Thank you Ian I will try that. hanks TUli after having learned the stack I went back to the book and read through the first couple of tricks. My problem is that I don't understand why certain things work (deck back into staystack etc). I am wanting a good basic source so I can "learn" about the memorized deck without just going through the motions, my reason being if something goes wrong, I will know 1:why and hopefully 2:how to rectify it and or turn it into another trick. My problems are not that I can't do the faros, false shuffles etc most of my trick rely on intermediate/advanced sleights, its just that I feel I am reading a foreign language, its the same when I try and read the Faro diagrams in ECT.
[quote]
On 2012-02-20 14:09, dan84 wrote:
Are there any good sources for introducing memorized decks and routines that might give me some background knowledge before I delve deep into Mnemonica? Thankyou
[/quote]

Look no further!

I designed my [url=http://headinside.blogspot.com/2008/06/memorized-deck-online-toolbox.html]Memorized Deck Online Toolbox[/url] to take you from the basics up to the more advanced aspects of memorized decks.

Even better, everything on the list is available online for free!
Scott, that's great stuff. :)
Thanks for that scott!!