(Close Window)
Topic: C & B Routine - Which one suitable for Beginner?
Dear all:

Would like to gather your views as to, for a beginner, (s)he should start of with which C & B routine ( so that a good foundation can be built, and the routine can get the beginner to get use to the "feel" of C & B performance)

Appreciate your feedback
Hi--

There are so many ways to begin. And of course there are so many opinions on how to begin.

You will get plenty of good advice from some very talented people on this site.

If I may - I will suggest a DVD.

https://www.barrysmagicshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=186

I recently directed a film where an actor needed to learn "Cups and Balls" for a scene and he only had two days to do it in. I gave the actor this DVD (see above) and after a weekend of practice he showed me a routine from things he had learned in the DVD that was as good as many of the "Cups and Balls" routines I had seen. And, being in magic my entire life, I have had the chance to see the best perform this effect.

So have a look at this DVD. Maybe it will teach you what you need and inspire you to perform "Cups and Balls" well. There are many great DVDs and books on the subject. This is just one.

If I may offer additional advice. May I suggest that you create a routine that is uniquely you. Like many of the great actors/actresses will say - once they find the character they are playing, everything else falls into place. So seek that out first. Ask yourself - "Who am I when I am performing The Cups and Balls".

As for a "Cups and Balls" performance - no finer example could be found than the very talented magician and actor Ricky Jay's "The History Lesson". He has his character down perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgm4wZCACYg

I hope my advice has helped.

Of course this is only my opinion.

Good luck!
If you have absolutely NO experience with the C&Bs I usually recommend starting with the Chop Cup. Get comfortable with the vanishes and loading procedures with the single cup, then move onto the 2 or 3 cup routines.
For no experience I would start with the classic no sleight simple routine that comes with plastic cups add a final load - just the penetrations no vanishes...you can do that with metal cups as well...works on stacking , inertia move, loading

You can do a fine c&b roputine with no hand to hand vanishes
I started with the routine in Mark Wilson's Complete Course. It gave me a great foundation which I used to build my own routine. It's a pretty cute little routine in it's own right!
Start with the Ammar DVD's. Learn the easy routine first. Then you will have something solid to build on.

The Mark Wilson routine is also good.

John Mendoza has a basic routine that he did with a set of magic shop cups, adding a final load. All of these are good ways to get into the cups and balls.
One thing I might add:

I have been practicing my new set (RnT II) of Paul Fox Cups & Balls for about a year, using a mirror to practice. Then I got a camcorder. Yesterday, I recorded my routine and watched it.

I have to start over. Flash, flash, flash! Changeover palms...LOUSY! I couldn't fool anyone with this routine! In the mirror, everything looked fine! Man, I'm glad I got that camcorder! Don't make the mistake of thinking the mirror shows all.

I wonder what else needs work? Gahhh! I hate to think.... :wow:

Doug
Listen to the guy with the cup on his head. I'm serious. The Ammar DVDs can be intimidating and have a huge amount of material on them. One other path . . .

Also find the Ron Bauer booklet on Cups and Balls. You're not listening are you? Ok . . . go here. Spend ten bucks. Read the booklet, practice, rehearse . . . bingo-bango you're doing the cups and balls.

http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/specialedition/rbcuptech/index.htm

KG
[quote]
On 2012-02-23 23:45, Bill Palmer wrote:
Start with the Ammar DVD's. Learn the easy routine first. Then you will have something solid to build on.[/quote]

I second this recommendation!!
I think we should all get some sales commission from Mr. Michael Ammar. The amount of recommendations given here over the years has surely increased his revenue significantly. I am fine with a set of tennisballs.

Francis
PS, 1 inch in size, preferably include 1 x chopped
I agree with everyone above...the Ammar DVD series is one of the most comprehensive reviews of the cups and balls I have seen. The nice thing about the video is that you see everything in clear detail, and you get the components to build your own routine. Ultimately, he teaches you Vernon's classic routine, as well as his own...but it gives you the building blocks to create your own routine. Nevertheless...there's still a lot out there.