(Close Window)
Topic: Gazzo live online lecture
Just thought I'd mention in passing that Gazzo is lecturing tomorrow night at Penguin Magic... 26th February 7pm eastern.

I think it'll be worth tuning in.

tom
I've got a gig and won't be able to make it... Do they allow you to download the prerecorded session if you miss it?
Penguin says if you register and miss it, you can download it after it ends.
Darn, I already missed it.

The Doctor
Did you? It happens this evening, 7pm Eastern.
Yes, you can watch it afterwards. However it usually takes2-3 days before you can download.
How was it?
I was disappointed. The first hour and fifteen minutes was spent on a series of three card tricks strung together. Gazzo took a break for some questions, I asked about busking laws to which he said he didn't want the lecture to be about busking. I didn't pay to learn card tricks from one of the worlds best street performers. I want knowledge not tricks. Gazzo then started talking about his egg bag, which seemed more interesting but I didn't finish watching so hopefully there's some good tips in the end.
Thanks MARyan... That sums up everything I wanted to know. :)
I am with MARyan, Penguin kinda misleads you here. It was pretty
good for the beginner, but when your expecting one thing and then
they give you something else it hard to see the value as you battle
your expectation not being met.

I believe everyone who signed in were expecting busking info here,
yet you were given a treatise on classic magic. Gazzo was emphasizing
the classics and how the classic techniques are what really works for an
audience.

So as an example for like the first 45 minutes he spends on a card
routine; explaining the details of the routine, and then goes over
some "classic" handling of cards. A small spat on questions, then
he goes to the egg bag routine which he then explains his working;
again, as an example of the classics.

There were some tips, antics, and jokes to walk away from but I was
led to thinking this would be based on street performing which Gazzo
said somewhere in the middle of the lecture he didn't wanna get into.
So the Penguin folks ignored everyone's questions which was mostly
about street performing. The Penguin folks kinda mislead you here
as their advertisements talks about street performing and their
demo video shows him at the Penn and Teller show...I wish they noted
that.

So I think it was disappointing to most from that perspective only
due to the expectation that was set. But with that being said there
is value; probably more so for the beginner on what works for real people,
some technical details, and using the classics to entertain people.
I like the routines and his thoughts and the egg bag routine.
I have a different view on the lecture ( I'm a huge fan, so take that into consideration ).

I got that he offered golden wisdom:

stop buying all the latest tricks that are released each week. Learn the classics and go out and perform. America is not a pro-street performing nation and if you spend your time checking on laws, etc. you're wasting your time. Just go out and do it and you'll get better.

I LOVED his egg bag. They are going to release it on a dvd, so I bet that one shows him using it on the street.

Clarke
Yeah that's certainly good advice, there some good bits but overall It just wasn't what I was expecting. Believe me I'm a huge fan too I'm sure anyone in this forum is but an hour of card tricks from one of the worlds best street performer and after that hour him saying it wasn't a busking lecture was a bummer.
I get why Gazzo wouldn't want it to be a busking lecture. He's got products out on that already.

In one of the emails Penguin sent me it said something along the lines of "even if you've already got his cups and balls dvd, this is all new material!". I kinda figured by that it would be more "trick" focused, and that's cool. Just not what I'm interested in. I've got more than enough tricks.

For me the question was... "I've scraped together $20. Do I buy his lecture or his book?" I now know I need to go for the book.

I'm sure the lecture was great and that there's plenty of value there. I totally agree with the "stop buying all the latest tricks" sentiment. Ironically that's why I was hesitant to buy the lecture in the first place. lol! ;-)

So it sounds like the definitive answer is "If you want to learn some solid, proven card work buy the lecture. If you want info on busking buy one of his other products"...

Cool.
[quote]
On 2012-02-27 21:34, Zombie Magic wrote:
I LOVED his egg bag. They are going to release it on a dvd, so I bet that one shows him using it on the street.

Clarke
[/quote]
Not really, unless they reshoot the existing DVD. He has one already but I don't think it was sold other than at lectures. If you saw the Penguin lecture, you pretty much saw what was on the DVD.
[quote]
On 2012-02-27 02:53, MARyan wrote:
I was disappointed. The first hour and fifteen minutes was spent on a series of three card tricks strung together. Gazzo took a break for some questions, I asked about busking laws to which he said he didn't want the lecture to be about busking. I didn't pay to learn card tricks from one of the worlds best street performers. I want knowledge not tricks. Gazzo then started talking about his egg bag, which seemed more interesting but I didn't finish watching so hopefully there's some good tips in the end.
[/quote]I,m not Gazzo, nor as good as Gazzo, but I have taken his masterclass and learned from him when he teaches with Bobby Maverick. That said I will answer your question. If there are laws against busking, then do what the cops tell you and STOP! BUT, as they say in the military, "don't ask, don't tell." Find a pitch and start to work, if it's against the law the worst thing that will happen is a cop will tell you to stop. If that happens, DO IT.

Remember the busker's credo is "it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission." If you ask the likely answer will be "no" if you just start the likely act will be to let you alone and you'll make money.
I think the complaint is mainly that Penguin didn't really say what he would be lecturing about. It was "assumed" that it would be street work, or if not that, then "new material" as they promised. Maybe Penguin didn't know either, but they should have known ahead of time to market him properly.

The "new" material was him teaching old (classic) sleights. It might have been new lecture material, but those of us who have seen him live already saw pretty much all he was teaching, including the egg bag material. For me, as a non-card person, the first half (two thirds actually) of the lecture was great for future reference, but it really didn't hold my attention.

In watching the twitter feed throughout the broadcase, it was apparent that he didn't want to go the direction the audience wanted to go. Whoever was screening the twitter feed seemed to know what Gazzo wanted to teach and withheld many of the questions that flowed in. To me, it sort of defeated the purpose of an "interactive" online lecture. Except for a few times where he answered rather generic questions, it could have easily been a static download of a recorded session.

I love seeing Gazzo, and I supported the concept by registering, but in reality I could have just sent in a donation and skipped the lecture. As it turned out, I watched very little of it in real time and opted to wait for the download archive that came later.

If you want to see Gazzo lecture on street magic, and don't have the opportunity to see him in person, buy the Mario Morris DVDs where Gazzo teaches portions of Mario's Street Busking class.
Thanks for all the comments here in this thread. I only just saw it, but had heard similar comments soon after the lecture.

I'm sorry we weren't more clear. While our advertising wasn't specific about what he'd teach, I *know* many were hoping for busking content. I didn't know in advance that he'd skip those questions (and at his lecture, he's the boss!), but I can now understand why. Buskers are a very small group.

That said, my response was to immediately call Gazzo and ask if he'd do a special "pro busking" lecture just for those few who really want to learn about his busking experience.

So, TOMORROW (Saturday March 10th) we're delivering. We're flying Gazzo back over for a second lecture dedicated purely to busking, street performance and the business of making money with magic.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2649

And for anyone who may be suspicious now (I hope no one), I'm happy to guarantee satisfaction, no questions asked.

Thank you all for supporting live magic.
Faux pas, Saturdays are when Buskers work Brother.
It's our go to day. The notice is way too soon for
anyone to schedule it in etc....good luck to you both though.
:applause:
Is there a discount for the people who paid for the last lecture and were disappointed?
Unfortunately, Saturday is booked solid for us, so we will not be able to check it out, and this is the one we want to see the most.

~Nanci
I think you can watch the lectures at a later date and time after the show airs.
Good point about Saturdays, thank you all. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm booking a lecture for street performers. We were thinking Saturday's are good because we can get the most timezones on live (Pacific, East, even England)

And yes, Floyd is right, you can watch it anytime after it's over. Usually it just takes a few hours for the recording to go up.
It's tonight!
Just got in from my gig. How was it? I loved "Krowd Keeping" so I may buy the Gazzo 2.0 lecture depending on the responses.
I have several Gazzo video/dvds and loved the lecture. He has great passion for the art. Had his typical professional advice and several times he warned about listening to online forums about street performing.
Mr Clarke, I wanted to let you know that Ekuth is practically your
neighbor there in the greater Phoenix area. You both should connect.
I miss my old stomping grounds there in the Valley of the Sun.

Congrats on the great lecture Gazzo! Thanks for the review Zombie.
Matthew,
I personally liked the lecture. I am not a full time busker or street performer if you will but I do perform a blend of street performing in many different areas; local amusement parks, small county fairs, state fairs and festivals to help sell my shows or draw a crowd for a fund raiser.

So I canít speak how this could or would help a full time true blue street performer who is living their lifeís working for tips. However I love to study all types of performing and because I do a sudo street act was intrigued to watch and did.

I took several good points away from the lecture, and feel I got my money worth from that alone. Saw some things I could do better with my own sets and enjoyed his straight talk about busking in America, partly why I never had the desire to go at it full time.
I do not agree with his personal attacks on online forums and feel maybe there is a generation gap there with that.

I also feel by saying what he did, that he truly does not give magicians the benefit of knowing how to filter out information and know what advice is good and bad on online forum, I did make a comment about that to my computer screen saying the same could be said for every magic club in the world. However without Magic clubs, forums, and places where we can all meet and discuss I canít help but think what would have happened to our art. Ok I will get off my soap box about that.

Gazzo was his normal self, with his jokes and one liner. I did like the moments where he walked through a pitch and role played the flow of it. When it came to the hour long Q & A I feel that sometimes he did not understand the question or was upset by the questions and keep repeating what he already said over and over.

I have never had the opportunity to watch Gazzo perform live, however I have seen many street magicians and would love to see him work a pitch someday for sure.
I plan to download it and watch again to see if I have missed anything. Depending on what you want to get out of a lecture like this

I feel your millage will very on it.

Hope that helps

Floyd
Gazzo has had more impact on how magic is performed on the streets than any othe magician in history. He's is comedicly brilliant. He may be the most copied magic act in the world and for a reason. Everything this man has to say everyone should listen.

His influence on me and all those who have the opportunity to grace his presence will last a life time. I'm proud to have worked with him and even more honored to call him my friend,

My suggestion would be to buy this lecture and watch it over and over.

Kozmo
Yes!

Gazzo is the REAL deal.

I have said it repeatedly in the past and I will say it here again.

The man has forgotten more about magic than most will ever learn. Let alone the ones our here now pretending to know anything at all. As a street entertainer/ entertainer he is on a different level.

I consider him a good friend and a phenomenal entertainer.
Bravo!!! I'm sure the folks who did attended would agree...

Those who haven't got it yet (the gist on working the streets),
get it, and learn something. I honestly feel that the two lectures
combined will give anyone wanting to start; the material (lecture one),
and the bits on street performing (lecture two).

Perhaps some of the verterans or experienced guys/gals can learn
something...I did.

One thing that is stressed everywhere and Gazzo puts it upfront
is you have to get out there and do it....

I really liked what Gazzo had to say and how he said it...
As someone who's performed for a bit and am planning on trying the streets I felt very happy with the lecture. I'll be watching this again and again as I feel that I missed many important bits. I now feel like I have a plan of attack that's realistic that I just need to implement. Thanks Gazzo!
Great lecture! Thanks to Gazzo and Penguin Magic for doing it a second time and giving myself and others the information we were looking for. Gazzo gave us knowledge that can really impact the way we go about street performing. If you get a chance check out Kozmo's lecture on street performing, couple it with this lecture and you'll be ready to go entertain the people. I'll be watching this video for reference for a long time. Now I just need to get out and do it..
Here's a table like he mentioned.
http://www.samash.com/p/Quik-Lok_LPH001%20Tripod%20Laptop%20Stand_-49946672
[img]http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/419832_321455091243873_100001381552398_885609_1206000464_n.jpg[/img]
Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I finally purchased the lecture and watched it last night.

Holy crap. It was [i]amazing[/i].

I feel like I've been at a turning point in my career for a while now. This lecture really helped give me some direction. His knowledge is invaluable! Someday I'd love the opportunity to have him mentor me.

This is the best $20 I've spent in magic in a [i]very[/i] long time.
Anyone know if Gazzo is doing any "live" lectures or workshops in North America?
Gazzo knows.
Its so true what Gazzo says, just get out there and do it. I have died on my arse more times in the last two weeks than I care to remember, but I still go out and perform.
Because everytime I do, I learn. I have learned more in two weeks working on the street than the 3 years I have spent thinking about what works on the street.

Get this set of lectures they are good.

Best
myke
[quote]
On 2012-04-09 19:49, Magic.J.Manuel wrote:
Gazzo knows.
[/quote]

Actually his work is so secret that he doesn't even know what he's doing...wait that's me!
Hi, regarding Gazzo s Egg bag : I have the Penguin live lecture 1 of Gazzo in 2012 where he explains a routine, and the 2016 at the table where he mention about the multiple egg production.
Also I watched the 2019 live performance at a friends place but left after an hour of show about when he gave the little girl the selected card (did I miss something?).
Is there something new in the Black bag dvd ?
thanks
Does anyone know if the penguin live lecture 2 about busking is the same as the footage on Penguins "Gazzo street cups?", as they have 2 hrs or so of footage after the explanation section.
I love busking, I have been doing it for years but always like to get more info on making things better or other opinions.
If this is a lecture and not just Gazzo in Florida keys making the Penguin video then I would be interested in seeing it.
Don't want to buy the download if it is the same as his DVD I already have.
Thanks....
SSR
Sideshow Rod , in this lecture 2 nothing to do with "Gazzo street cups?". Penguin use this footage to promote the lecture but it's note the same content . Not at all.
The lecture 2 is only on how to do in the street. No tricks , but only great advice. And you undrstand why Gazzo is the best.
He show / explain how be the guy who control the crowd.
If you're a busker it's a must have , and the price is cheap with what you get.
If you look for tricks to do in the street (cup/ card ..) it's not the lecture.
That have been -partially -covert in others lecture and dvd.
The Gazzo 2 penguin lecture was put together to augment the first lecture. Second lecture is basically him talking about the streets and taking questions. But themselves I donít think the lecture stand alone. But together they can give you valuable insight to busking.