(Close Window)
Topic: Playing Extreme Dean
This may well be specific to me, but Vol 1 of Extreme Dean will not play in either computer DVD. I just got a second DVD today and the computer doesn't even see it. Tried it in another computer and same thing.

Just for the heck of it I stuck it in my TV DVD and it played. I've NEVER had trouble playing a DVD on the computer before and just wondered if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks.....
Steve

PS NO problem on vol 2! Strange.....
Maybe your comps dvd player is dated. As long as it plays on your normal dvd player you have no worries.
Maybe it has to do with the specific file system that vol 1 was created?
as standalone dvd players read the dvd in raw mode there are no problems.
but it could be 1001 other things....
Hi Steve,

I have the same problem - disc 1 is not playing on my PC DVD-drive (NEC DV5800A & WinDVD 2.3).
I couldn't test it on a standalone player and I have finally sent it back to the dealer.
But I think the DVD I will be sent won't play on my PC either.
BTW: I have approx. 30 magic DVDs and had no problems so far.

Josef
Josef,

Glad to hear I'm not nuts. I've played dozens of DVDs in my computer with no problem. My drive is a Sony 500.

Just curious - could you play #2 and could your computer even see the disk? Mine acts like nothing is there.

Later....
Steve
Could be the coating of the DVD or something. My DVD-Rom has problems reading DVDs with Verbatim Coating ( so it seems ). But it reads Exteme Dean DVD 1 with no problems... so I can't quite say what the problem is.

I think DVD-ROM aren't all quite standardised yet. Perhaps that's the problem.
Steve, sometimes DVD have special requirements, for example de speed of your reader in the pc. maybe this is the problem, but im not sure.

:subtrunk:
The coating of the dvd is usually important when it comes to dvd-r/dvd+r discs. pressed silver discs should have no problem media-wise.
Steve,
Disc 2 is playing on my PC without problems, but with Disc 1 my PC acts like nothing is there.

Josef
For those that may be interested in this technical stuff:

I installed a different drive - a "MadDog" brand. It can read the disk. Sony and NEC can't, but MadDog can - strange world.

Anyway, the disks are different. In the lead-in section there is a field called "Book Type". Vol 2 shows as DVD-ROM and Vol 1 shows as DVD+R. Some drives have problems with disks which are marked DVD+R in this area, even though they could read the drive if the header was marked differently. Such is the case with my drive and Josef's drive. Nothing can be done until a firmware upgrade lets these drives accept this type of header.

I thought maybe someone would be interested.

Later.....
Steve
My Toshiba PC DVD drive had the same problems reading DVD+R discs. Some could be read whilst other showed no sign. I upgraded the firmware a and since then it has read all types of discs.
It's strange that an L&L disc is marked as DVD+r.