(Close Window)
Topic: Best Adult Comedy Tricks
I do adult comedy magic. I was wondering what are your best comedy tricks.
For me, the Arm Chopper and Lie Detector Helmet get the most laughs.
Yes, I also do the Goshman Ding Dong and Hallelujah but it depends if I can get a suitable volunteer.
How about you guys?
I have my own routine called [i]Correlation[/i] and it proves with out a doubt that if you can pick your nose you can pick a pair of handcuffs. I recently released it in my second manuscript.

The downfall is that it plays best for 40 years and under and the humor is mostly American observations, so In Aussie it does not fare well and gets only a chuckle in the UK but here in the US it keeps them laughing all the way through and is "very memorable."

X
I once saw an hysterical Professor's Nightmare performed by Michael Finney.. I believe.. at Magic Island in California before it closed..

Also... If you do a zombie... Do it to the theme of 2001, a Space Odyssey.. and at every bass note.. have the ball hit the cloth from behind.. at crotch level...very funny......
I believe that the Amazing Jonathan did the zombie bit on his second comedy special on comedy central.
I did see that... and I had seen it at an IBM or SAM meeting in New York about ten years ago... funny is funny.. whenever....
Kerry Pollack's "Stan, Kate and Edith"
Hand Cutter and what I also like is the Ring in Nest. These are my two favourites.

Markus
Martin Lewis has a very funny and adult oriented color changing silk routine.
I like the 21st century bra.
I have an effect called "Sweet Dreams". It is a very funny adult presentation for The Professor's Nightmare rope effect.

There is no "bad language" in the routine...however it is definitely NOT for kid shows. This is always a feature part of my act. I have used this as my closer for my parlor act at The Magic Castle for the past two years...and it always leaves the audience in stitches.

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher

P.S. Hocus Pocus sells it!
Hi Cody:

Can you tell me what makes the routine "adult"? Does the routine have to do with sex? I noticed at the HP site, it's advertised as "R rated". Thanks - it looks very interesting.

Ron
Ron,

There are no "swear words" or "nasty language" in the routine, however it is not for kids. The humor is meant for adults. Even if there were kids present, they wouldn't "get it" anyway. I personally just won't do it around children. It's just not funny for them. So to answer your question, the routine does not have to do with the act of sex.

I personally don't use any X-rated material in my act; just not my style. Some performers can get away with it. I look too wholesome I guess?

The routine is more "PG-13" than "R". I use this for every corporate or college engagement I have. It simply kills! I am not a great "comedy magician" but THE ROUTINE itself is very funny. True story, while performing this in the parlor at The Magic Castle, on one occasion I had to stop for a few minutes as one lady was laughing so hard she couldn't breath. It turned out to be a very funny situation. Now does this happen every time? No, but in the right situation, for the right audience, it gets very close.

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher
Stan Kate and Edith is excellent.
21st Century bra trick is very funny in the right venue.
I have found the Vanishing Bandanna an excellent adult comedy trick. Kids just don't get it the way adults do.
Huge laughs for adults. It can even get a little risqué if that's your style.
Thanks, Cody. It sounds terrific! I will get it right away from HP.

Ron
[quote]
On 2003-10-31 08:44, emyers99 wrote:
Martin Lewis has a very funny and adult oriented color changing silk routine.
[/quote]
Ahaha! Martin's routine is hilarious BUT it isn't as adult oriented as you may think. He has a nice balance in his humor and if ANY kids are in the audience, he will take out certain lines (most noticeable the line about having kids and not having kids.)

Chris
The zombie routine mentionned above is the Amazing Jonathan's and it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen Magic or Non-Magic.
Also excellent is Michael Finney's Card on Forehead.
I use a lot of the same tricks on adults that I use on children. Most adults are just big kids anyway. I do add fire and mental tricks because I feel those are more for adults. ;)
I am a big fan of Bill in Lemon, Balloon Swallowing and Cardiographic. Banana/Bandana also plays well. I'm working on a comedy linking ring routine, Three Rpes and a Baby (Sanders) and Steve Bedwell's “In Over Your Head”. Does anyone have experience with the Beam routine? I am having trouble getting the extra piece of rope to stay in my ear. (If you are not familiar with the routine, that last sentence probably made no sense whatsoever.) For those of you interested in a color changing silk routine, the one in McComb's Magic: 25 Years Wiser is fantastic.
- Dave Schwartz

P.S. Where is Martin Lewis' color changing silk routine written up?
Doug Malloy's "Lemon Game" is a very funny routine that adults love. Martin Lewis' "Technicolor Prediction" is a very funny premise but ends up pretty shocking.

Believe it or not, the "Vanishing Banana"/"Vanishing Bandana" plays really well with adults. When I first tried it, I was really surprised with the outcome.

The rope routine I use is really funny and most any rope routine can be made funny.

Anyhow, green olives are pretty comical.
Dave,

I think the routine you are talking about by Steve Bedwell. I perform it almost nightly. Put the rope in as you are talking or opening your mouth. You will feel the difference as you put the rope in, the extension of your jaw muscle will allow the rope to be held better.

Christopher
Stan, Kate and Edith.
I just received Cody's "Sweet Dreams" routine, and man, is it funny. I've not done it yet, but know it will create some hysterical moments. Cody's right - it's very "adult" but not dirty at all.

Ron
I would like more insight into how any rope trick can be made funny. I do several rope routines and would love to be able to add some humor (adult). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry
I swear by Balloon Swallowing. People laugh and scream and it's truly a highlight of my show. Of course it also fits my character well so I think that's a big consideration.

Also do Vanishing Bandana and it's pretty hysterical. Your reactions are what will really make this great.

Cashetta
[quote]
On 2004-01-03 23:36, Jerry the Great wrote:
I would like more insight into how any rope trick can be made funny. I do several rope routines and would love to be able to add some humor (adult). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry
[/quote]

Jerry... get a copy of Si Adam's booklet "Snappy Rope Patter". It will provide you with a large assortment of comedy gags with rope. One of the best...... Cheers......
One routine that I like to use is "Hello, your name is?" by Barry Mitchell and Peter McCahon. It's a laugh riot and gives your crowd about 8 mins. of non stop laughter. It uses 2 audience members with an exercise in telepathic powers. Real good routine! :rotf:
Dan,

I'm not familiar with that routine. Where is it available?
I got mine at Hank Lee's for I think $20. I think

Barry Mitchell has his own site also but I'm not sure what it is. But it is a very good routine that comes with a few funny props. I added a few more of my own to make it even funnier. :rotf:
I´ve done "Professor´s nightmare" in a risque way... and it worked! Other than that, Daryl´s routines in foolers dooler 3 with rope are great! The play perfect for adults... and, if you want "adults only" try "Petter Rabbit hits big time".
Does anybody use Key-Erect??? I want to know a little more about this effect
[quote]
On 2004-02-02 12:51, Mental_Mike wrote:
Does anybody use Key-Erect??? I want to know a little more about this effect

[/quote]
I just got KeyRRect, and I love it! You as the performer can totally focus on nothing but presentation, because there is absolutely no sleights involved, and it is so self-working that you NEVER have to touch the keys OR the lock - the entire trick can take place in the spectator's hands. Or, you could play a part in it, it's completely up to you. I like having both options available, and KeyRRect allows for that. If you can find it, get it! PM me if you have specific questions.
I must say that the Head Chopper is a tough one to beat for me. Have been working hard to replace this for my repeat clients with other effects but none comes close.

ROY

I use the key-rrect too on occasion and postion it as a lucky draw with the prize being the volunteer's $$$.

Technically it is exactly as jkvand said.

Lots of opportunities for comedic situations and to let your own personality come thru as it is all in the presentation.

It is one of those that packs small and plays big.

ROY
Message: Posted by: The Wizard of Hearts (Feb 5, 2004 12:31PM)
There's a very excellent routine for "Key-r-rect" in Thompson Jr. & Rutledge's "Between Two Minds", that involves two spectators, a spectator time-keeper, and lots of excitement.

_richard
Hocus Pocus Also sells the "Hello my name is" effect but it is listed as "Hello Your Name is" Same effect. It a great one!
Has anyone used Harry anderson's Cuff Links?
Owners please tell me if it is good.
[quote]
On 2004-04-26 05:04, dsilverfield wrote:
Has anyone used Harry anderson's Cuff Links?
Owners please tell me if it is good.
[/quote]

This routine is in Harry Anderson's book 'Wise Guy'. It is also featured on the video of his act. This routine is very funny in Harry's hands, but I dought if anyone else can get away with that much body contact of a spectator.

Is it any good. If you are Harry Anderson, then I guess being a Millionaire is proof enough.
I've had cufflinks for years and occasionally add it to my act. If you feel uncomfortable getting too close to a volunteer use something else. I've used chairs, tent poles, (at fairs) mic stands, etc. And of course, by all means, come up with your own presentation.
Comedy Zombie-

I first performed Zombie to 2001 Space Odyssey theme in Oct 1978 here in New Zealand with all the Innuendo moves etc after a comic magician suggestion also with ladies Bra & Knickers with THE END 0n the backside!! from Dove Pan.

I was 16 & was for Adult Birthday Crowd-was a complete success!!

We are performing tonight for Pre Sold show of 450 in Auckland & I will be finishing with still-- Zombie to 2001 music!!

-Brent
Instant Magician combined with 20th century underpants plays well (spectator pulls out own underpants)

Banana/Bandanan KILLS for aussie adults (kids don't seem to find it as funny!)

Any 'accidentally' destroying money or watched etc is strong

The Missing Spade is another top trick!
Agree with Nicolas-

20th Century Bra/Underpants

Always Plays well-Great Reaction!
As an 11 year old kid I too performed the zombie to the 2001 theme and never understood why people were snickering. I was really playing it dramatic and straight cause I thought the music was cool.

I just didn't understand why people were laughing at this routine that I had practiced so hard on. It wasn't until I was 14 that I realized what all the laughs were about. All of a sudden the light came on.
(Been doing it that way ever since.)

Ah the innocence of youth.
"I just didn't understand why people were laughing at this routine that I had practiced so hard on"

Hi Scott...you got me laughing now. Just ordered your dvds...can't wait!

Cheers
Charlie
Thanks Charlie,

Glad to know I'm good for a chuckle or two.

Enjoy the DVDs and practice hard on them.

Scott