(Close Window)
Topic: For those into Leather ?
Message: Posted by: Godzilla (Mar 3, 2012 12:09PM)
Hope,this question will make sense?

Is there a good way to age leather with a old look,and still keep it soft? (As in a strap)

I love a good joke,but this is not for bondage...
:)

Thanks!

~G
Message: Posted by: afinemesh (Mar 3, 2012 12:48PM)
Chew on it, Gary! Seriously. . .then treat it with some mink oil.
Message: Posted by: Godzilla (Mar 3, 2012 01:07PM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 13:48, afinemesh wrote:
Chew on it, Gary! Seriously. . .then treat it with some mink oil.
[/quote]




Thanks, Jorey!

I'll have to think about that one...
But,I will get back to you! :)
Message: Posted by: David Eichler (Mar 3, 2012 02:09PM)
You could use some rough sandpaper on it and, depending on the cut of the leather, sand it either by hand or mechanically. You can also take it to some cinder blocks by whipping the snot out of it to give it a random distressing look. Different coloring can be achieved through the same coffee or tea practices used to age paper, but you'd need to soak it much longer to penetrate the leather. Good luck!
Message: Posted by: Godzilla (Mar 3, 2012 02:23PM)
Thanks, David!
I have some distressed Harley Jackets! They look good from a distance,but up close,you can see how the color is faded out to let a white under laying show through!
I will have to try a few things!
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Mar 3, 2012 03:28PM)
Can't you sacrifice one your jackets then, and have the strap cut out of it? then you just age the sides...
Message: Posted by: Godzilla (Mar 3, 2012 05:09PM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 16:28, IAIN wrote:
Can't you sacrifice one your jackets then, and have the strap cut out of it? then you just age the sides...
[/quote]




That is a Great idea! I will do that!
Thanks so much!!!

Gary
Message: Posted by: MissMage (Mar 3, 2012 05:33PM)
NOOOOO!!!!
You finally have a wonderfully worn in leather jacket, and you're gonna sacrifice it for an aged looking strap?!?

If you want to soften and age leather, just use warm water and saddle soap and scrub it, then rinse good, let dry, then treat with something like neats foot oil or leather balm. Depending on how aged you want it, just scrub harder with something more abrasive. For a little, use a nylon scrubber or brush for dishes, for serious wear and tear use a rough bristle brush or brillo pad (think more for cleaning a grill).

Please, please, please don't destroy your jacket. Old leather jackets are awesome.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Mar 3, 2012 05:37PM)
All depends on the style!

I'm not a fan of the traditional looking biker jacket... though I do have some lovely 60s and 70s leather and suede jackets (the collars and pockets are beautifully cracked and beaten)...

destroy your jacket!
Message: Posted by: Godzilla (Mar 3, 2012 05:42PM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 18:33, MissMage wrote:

Please, please, please don't destroy your jacket. Old leather jackets are awesome.
[/quote]



Thank you MissMage! My last post was SARCASM...

Any who,I do not want to get a big Strawberry on skin...if I crash and burn! :)

And,thank you for your suggesstions!

Gary
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Mar 3, 2012 05:45PM)
Lightweight...

suffer for your art!
Message: Posted by: Godzilla (Mar 3, 2012 05:46PM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 18:37, IAIN wrote:


I'm not a fan of the traditional looking biker jacket... though I do have some lovely 60s and 70s leather and suede jackets (the collars and pockets are beautifully cracked and beaten)...




Do you have a Motorcycle too?
Or,just the jackets...
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Mar 3, 2012 06:02PM)
Nah, mine are more 60s/70s cop show style jackets...
Message: Posted by: MissMage (Mar 3, 2012 06:27PM)
What is this for anyways?

And Iain is right about one thing... you should suffer for your art. So send me the leather jacket, get the road rash, and impress the babes with your gnarly scars while you practice your sleight of hand.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Mar 3, 2012 06:38PM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 19:27, MissMage wrote:
What is this for anyways?
[/quote]

I bet its for a steampunk gimp-suit...
Message: Posted by: Godzilla (Mar 3, 2012 08:58PM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 19:38, IAIN wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 19:27, MissMage wrote:
What is this for anyways?
[/quote]

I bet its for a steampunk gimp-suit...



Yep,that would be it!
What's a gimp?
Come on Bro,come up with something worth my reading!

This Lightweight at least rides a Harley!
We will get you a bicycle with training wheels to start with!

And Iain,I have seen movies with those guys,that just wear leather and not ride!
If,you are stalking me,I don't swing that way! :)

And,MissMage,you would be the first to get my jacket!
Just to P-Off Iain! lol
Message: Posted by: Intrepid (Mar 3, 2012 10:14PM)
In adding old straps to a certain box, I ordered some old horseback riding reigns off of eBay for $2 some weeks back for authenticity worn leather. Once I'm done I'll post some pics of the result.
Message: Posted by: Godzilla (Mar 3, 2012 10:23PM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 23:14, Intrepid wrote:
In adding old straps to a certain box, I ordered some old horseback riding reigns off of eBay for $2 some weeks back for authenticity worn leather. Once I'm done I'll post some pics of the result.
[/quote]



Thanks for trying to be helpful on this thread! :)
Message: Posted by: afinemesh (Mar 3, 2012 10:31PM)
I don't think I can improve on what's already going on here, except to say, welcome MissMage. Always nice when the ladies visit! :)
Message: Posted by: Roth (Mar 3, 2012 11:23PM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 19:38, IAIN wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 19:27, MissMage wrote:
What is this for anyways?
[/quote]

I bet its for a steampunk gimp-suit...
[/quote]
I like you man, yer way stranger than I thought.
Message: Posted by: critter (Mar 4, 2012 12:21AM)
My kids' Godfather is an expert leather worker. I will pass this question along to him.
Message: Posted by: Godzilla (Mar 4, 2012 01:25AM)
Thanks Critter! :)
Message: Posted by: MissMage (Mar 4, 2012 01:35AM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 23:31, afinemesh wrote:
I don't think I can improve on what's already going on here, except to say, welcome MissMage. Always nice when the ladies visit! :)
[/quote]


Aw, how sweet. Thanks for the welcome... and on such a respectable thread as this one to boot. I feel all kinds of special!

And can anyone help me with this...
I can't get the image of Iain and the big lizard rolling down the road Easy Rider style in their respective leather frocks sans clothes. I know this is the bizarre forum, but geez, I didn't expect anything this frightening when I signed on.
Message: Posted by: Godzilla (Mar 4, 2012 02:03AM)
I would wear my long leather coat from the 70's for that event! :)
I would look like a Pimp,or a Pro Wrestler! LOL
Iain could wear a Football helmet too!
As many post that vanish here...
And,this one is lasting!
Message: Posted by: Dr Spektor (Mar 4, 2012 07:54AM)
Heck, if you want old distressed leather - go to ebay and buy damaged old leather jackets, purses, bags, etc. Aside: if you want some expensive leather accessories and have the ability to do leather repair... you can get some really good stuff to flash about... one of these days I got to write up on how one can use a variety of high end luxury goods as mentalism and mystery utility props and how you get them in cost effective ways.

Other aside: check out ETSY and strike up convos with some artists who are leather workers... you will find out a ton of things...
Message: Posted by: Jon_Thompson (Mar 4, 2012 08:05AM)
Another tip is to treat the leather with acid. I believe this is how that lovely faded effect is achieved on Chesterfield sofas.
Message: Posted by: afinemesh (Mar 4, 2012 11:50AM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-04 02:35, MissMage wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 23:31, afinemesh wrote:
I don't think I can improve on what's already going on here, except to say, welcome MissMage. Always nice when the ladies visit! :)
[/quote]


Aw, how sweet. Thanks for the welcome... and on such a respectable thread as this one to boot. I feel all kinds of special!

And can anyone help me with this...
I can't get the image of Iain and the big lizard rolling down the road Easy Rider style in their respective leather frocks sans clothes. I know this is the bizarre forum, but geez, I didn't expect anything this frightening when I signed on.
[/quote]

Oh girl, you SO belong. . .stick around! ;)
Message: Posted by: critter (Mar 4, 2012 12:42PM)
Here is Floyd's reply:
[quote]
Depends on the type of leather. Chrome tanned =no. If it is oil tanned you can thin neatsfoot oil. Vegetable tanned, you can mix melted meltonian shoe polish withneatsfoot oil and it will darken it. Also, Tandy leather actually has an antique finish that I have used for theater productions. I am always happy to look at stuff for people, too.
[/quote]

PM me if you want to contact him directly.
That goes for anyone who wants any custom work done as well.
Message: Posted by: afinemesh (Mar 4, 2012 01:10PM)
Thanks, Critter!
Message: Posted by: The Curator (Mar 4, 2012 01:24PM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 13:48, afinemesh wrote:
Chew on it, Gary! Seriously. . .then treat it with some mink oil.
[/quote]

Treat it first with mink oil, THEN chew it.
Message: Posted by: critter (Mar 4, 2012 01:35PM)
Any time.
Message: Posted by: Godzilla (Mar 4, 2012 10:49PM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-04 14:24, The Curator wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 13:48, afinemesh wrote:
Chew on it, Gary! Seriously. . .then treat it with some mink oil.
[/quote]

Treat it first with mink oil, THEN chew it.





How about some Captain Morgan's and Mink oil? :)
I have one leg up on a barrel as I type this...

Thanks Critter!

~G
[/quote]