(Close Window)
Topic: CAPTIVATE
Hi everyone.

I just thought I would mention a new release from Rus Andrews called 'CAPTIVATE'.It's his take on cap in bottle( yes I know another version), but this looks VERY GOOD and is so practical. It has a number of things going for it. For a start in happens in the spetators hands, and only one cap and bottle are used and both can be signed.

Everything is left with the spectator as you end COMPLETELY CLEAN.

Also it is instantly repeatable ! PS. before you start guessing it doesn't use a pk ring.

You will love the method and I am going to switch over to this method and handeling.

Thank's Rus for letting me see this. Excellent variation for a classic worker. I Love it and will use it!

Mike Donoghue
Can I see a demo of it somewhere? I don't own a 'cap in bottle' trick yet and this would be a 'different' trick for my repertoire. Also, is it easy to do?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Rus will be doing a video demo in the near future, just keeping watching this post or check his website.www.deceptionartist.

Also it's very easy to do and very practical.
Mike donoghue
Sounds interesting. A demo is needed. PLEASE no style MTV demos. Just show the effect in a performance.
[quote]
On 2012-03-06 11:50, mike donoghue wrote:
Hi everyone.

I just thought I would mention a new release from Rus Andrews called 'CAPTIVATE'.It's his take on cap in bottle( yes I know another version), but this looks VERY GOOD and is so practical. It has a number of things going for it. For a start in happens in the spetators hands, and only one cap and bottle are used and both can be signed.

Everything is left with the spectator as you end COMPLETELY CLEAN.

Also it is instantly repeatable ! PS. before you start guessing it doesn't use a pk ring.

You will love the method and I am going to switch over to this method and handeling.

Thank's Rus for letting me see this. Excellent variation for a classic worker. I Love it and will use it!

Mike Donoghue
[/quote]

really looking forward to what this might be but I can only assume you already know that the talking points you pointed out are not a break through:

Captured was the FIRST cap in bottle that happened in the spectators hand!
Captured you could instantly give the bottle to them with the cap in it and end clean!
It is ridiculous to have a spectator sign a cap or bottle!

NOW if you can do it with just ONE cap that would be a huge improvement so I look forward to seeing what this is.
JM
Hi all,

I wondered how long it would take for the mighty JM to appear on this thread, Captivate is part of a large project currently in the works.

JMís Captured was the inspiration behind my method to this great plot. My handling uses one cap, which can be signed if preferred, no setup time, all examinable, everything can be left with the spectator, instantly repeatable with any bottle or cap.

Like I said this is part of a large project so all will be revealed soon.

Ill keep you posted

R
I love captured but this is intriguing!
Justin, surely signing a bottle cap is no weirder than signing a bill?
The reason for signing anything is to eliminate any thought of a switch.

Are you saying that if the cap in the bottle can be signed and then seen inside the bottle you don't think this is an improvement?
No, it's not, Trapped by Jordan Johnson is also a signed cap in bottle routine.

Walk up to spectator borrow their empty bottle and visually penetrate their cap into the bottle. To take it a step farther the cap is in the bottle, and before we forget to mention, the CAP IS SIGNED.

If you have ever wanted to perform the classic visual cap in bottle effect without the use of a PK ring then Trapped is the effect for you. Trapped teaches several very easy methods to accomplish the cap in bottle effect, on the spot, impromptu, with borrowed bottles. There are methods that are 100% impromptu, there are methods that require a very small amount of setup and there is a gimmick included that will make performing this effect way too easy. What separates Trapped from other effects on the market is that the methods taught on this DVD were specifically thought out for the person who wants to ditch the sleight of hand and focus on performing a simple close up effect that people will remember for years. For those who like the sleight of hand, don't worry, we included some of that in there too.

This sounds more like Trapped than Captured by Justin Miller, which by the way is really good if anyone is looking for a great visual penetration effect.
[quote]
On 2012-03-07 06:33, Rus ANDREWS wrote:
Hi all,

I wondered how long it would take for the mighty JM to appear on this thread, Captivate is part of a large project currently in the works.

JMís Captured was the inspiration behind my method to this great plot. My handling uses one cap, which can be signed if preferred, no setup time, all examinable, everything can be left with the spectator, instantly repeatable with any bottle or cap.

Like I said this is part of a large project so all will be revealed soon.

Ill keep you posted

R
[/quote]

Could you have come up with a name that didn't look like a cheap knock off of Justin Miller's "Captured". Considering you admit that Captured was the inspiration behind your effect, maybe at least come up with an original name for it...at least that. :)
Easy tiger!!

First of all, why is a it a cheap knock off just because of the name? When you donít know squat about it? Does that mean every version or method relating to this effect is a cheap knock off??? NO IT DOES NOTÖ..

I was always under the impression that we as creators/performers were to drive this art, push things forward and test the boundaries, yet when someone comes up with a method or a different approach; people jump on their hobby horses ringing bells.

I mentioned that this was a work in progress with a larger project, not every effect that gets released these days is a knock off as you so put it, Trapped is a great method and Jordan is a great creator, and well done for PLUGGING it.

Yes captured was my inspiration, I donít see a problem?

All the best

R
Realax pal, no one said you effect is a rip off. You might want to be careful on how you respond since you will be trying to sell your effect. You are quick to jump the gun. Not a good start.

Let me post the sentence again for you...just for you. "Could you have come up with a name that didn't look like a cheap knock off of Justin Miller's "Captured"

Let's look at the eighth word in that sentence. It says, "name" oh my. How could you miss that?

I'm talking about the name you are calling it. The effect is inspired by Captured, so you call it Captivate. Kind of like a cola company being inspired by Pepsi and calling their drink Pepsical. I am referring to the name, not the product when I mean cheap knock off. If you had Pepsi and Pepsical on the same shelve, one would assume Pepsical was a knock off. Having an original name will save you problems in the long run, but what do I know.
Well then you have my sincere apologies if I took your post out on context.

People seem so quick these days to call something a ripoff.

All good

R
I'm surprised you missed that, Rus. He put it so sweetly....
I totally understand where you are coming from. It's all good! :) I'll even apologize because perhaps my post didn't make myself clear the first time.

I look forward to your release as I'm a big fan of bottle effects. I have Trapped, Captured, Factory Sealed, Prohibition, and All Will Be Consumed. The more the better as far as I'm concerned.

I also want to apologize for plugging Trapped. It wasn't my intentions. I just wanted to point out that there was an effect where you could have the cap signed. I don't mean to insinuate that your effect is like Trapped other than the descriptions. I have no idea.

Where will one be able to purchase it, and when?
WOW GaryLee, for a relatively new user, you a very bold. Rus creates some fantastic work. I am glad to see you rescinded your posts because they were "over the top". There are always new tricks and effects being released that are based on old principles. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the creator has permission and credits the original creator.

Best,
RNK
I was talking about the "name" Captivate sounding close to Captured. And it was only meant as advice for the same reason Rus mentioned. There are many who like to quickly jump on the "knockoff" bandwagon, and figuring Rus was inspired by Captured, having a name that closely resembled it may have people thinking it's a knock off. I'm sure Rus, if he choose to do so, would be able to come up with a name more original. I'm not a dictator, I was merely passing on my opinion, which apparently came out wrong if others still don't understand my intentions.

Once again, sorry for the confusion.

P.S. after reading the original post again, I admit that it left much for the imagination. I hope I've vindicated myself to some degree. I thought Rus was gunning me for something I thought was a blatant misinterpretation of my words. I apologize for that. Others of you apparently see the same thing Russ originally did before I attacked him for what I thought was an attack on me for something I believed I didn't say. (Yes, I lost myself too with that)

I hope all is well between him and I now, and, most of all, I hope I cleared that up.
Gary, using similar names for effects is VERY common and you did come off a bit strong by your choice of word (cheap knock off). JM, I have Captured and think the end result is beautiful. But I think the selling point on this is not only that only one cap is used but also it is instantly repeatable. Can't wait to see as Rus does have some killer material.
[quote]
On 2012-03-07 10:37, Rus ANDREWS wrote:

Easy tiger!!

[/quote]

I am the king of the jungle
They call me the tiger man
I am the king of the jungle
They call me tiger man
If you cross my path
You take your own life in your hands

:coolspot:
Guuuyyysss!
Rus is a GREAT thinker and his material is such a treat to watch. I for one am looking forward to see what captivate will be.
JM
JM you sir will be the first to get it......

All the best

R
Well after reading this, I had to phone Rus and ask him what was going on, without giving everything away, Rus gave me a little insight into how he performs this and what goes on.
Yep the cap can be signed, yes it happens in the spectators hands, and He is a devious, sneaky, bold as brass genius!
David
[quote]
On 2012-03-07 10:49, GaryLee wrote:
Realax pal, no one said you effect is a rip off. You might want to be careful on how you respond since you will be trying to sell your effect. You are quick to jump the gun. Not a good start.

Let me post the sentence again for you...just for you. "Could you have come up with a name that didn't look like a cheap knock off of Justin Miller's "Captured"

Let's look at the eighth word in that sentence. It says, "name" oh my. How could you miss that?

I'm talking about the name you are calling it. The effect is inspired by Captured, so you call it Captivate. Kind of like a cola company being inspired by Pepsi and calling their drink Pepsical. I am referring to the name, not the product when I mean cheap knock off. If you had Pepsi and Pepsical on the same shelve, one would assume Pepsical was a knock off. Having an original name will save you problems in the long run, but what do I know.
[/quote]

You're the one that needs to relax pal. Why don't you stick around and get to know people before starting in with the sarcastic attitude. Rus is one of the good guys and there's enough ***** here already. We don't need another one.
And if you knew a little more about magic you would realise that there is a rich history of honoring the effect that influenced you, within the name of your trick.
Sean, you sir should be a dictator, appreciate your comments.

It's all good.

Best

R
I use [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=384912&forum=159&0]Glimmer [/url] a lot, and I bet
This is just as good..(or bertter :) )...
Oops..I mean better :) ...
Glimmer is a visual stunner and I'm triple sure that Captivate by Rus Andrews will be a Mike Tyson Uppercut knockout of an effect.
If its from Rus I am sure it is a winner!
This guys thinking is awesome!
If its Rus I am sure we're all winners.... Deceptive and Practical = Rus Andrews
Don't forget to add BOLD to the above.. That's why I love Russ's stuf!!
Actually, since I apologized, I believe YOU are the one who needs to relax. Get over it man. It wasn't about you in the first place, and all you are doing is wasting time bringing up yesterdays garbage. Do you have anything constructive to add to the thread,or are you one of those members who just troll around?

[quote]
On 2012-03-08 15:47, Sean Giles wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-07 10:49, GaryLee wrote:

[/quote]

You're the one that needs to relax pal. Why don't you stick around and get to know people before starting in with the sarcastic attitude. Rus is one of the good guys and there's enough ***** here already. We don't need another one.
And if you knew a little more about magic you would realise that there is a rich history of honoring the effect that influenced you, within the name of your trick.
[/quote]

If I knew a little bit more about magic? Get over yourself moron. You're still wet between the ears. I can tell I know ,ore about magic that you do about potty training. If you want a fight, I'm in, but since you praise Rus so much have the respect for him to not come on here and start a flaming war. How disrespectful!!
Hey

No need to bicker guys, all good.

Keep this a happy thread.

Bond19, this is a bold approach never fear, it's a cap in bottle with a Rus Andrews touch.

All the best

R
Hi Rus, when is the 'larger' project due for release ??
I've had the pleasure of recieving just about everything Rus has released so far and I very rarely get impressed and his thinking on design and practicality is well thought out, easy, practical and visual all are great combos for a great effect.

Looking forward to this one Rus,

Shane
The project is in the pipeline at the moment, captivate will come with 2 methods, a gimmicked version and an impromptu version.

Thanks for the comments Shane, you sir are another inspiration to my work.

All the best

R
It sounds great, my question is; who signs the cap?
I have seen the effect.

Rus is CRAZY!
The spectator,their friend, and anyone else who wishes can sign the cap (provided they all leave enough room)
[quote]
On 2012-03-10 02:19, Rus ANDREWS wrote:
The project is in the pipeline at the moment, captivate will come with 2 methods, a gimmicked version and an impromptu version.

Thanks for the comments Shane, you sir are another inspiration to my work.

All the best

R
[/quote]

Thank you Rus I appreciate that sir!
This looks good! I have seen a quick video of this, performed impromptu and it is slick. I understand that there will be a couple methods taught with this release including a gimmicked version which most likely will be easier to perform. I favor impromptu but using a gimmick is not so bad and sometimes looks cleaner. Looking forward to this release, hopefully soon.
Hi Rizzo ,or Rus

Any chance of sending a link to the quick video performance you watched for Captivate??
Watched the impromptu version today and it fooled the people in the bar anyway also looked good

carl
For anyone joining the insidious lecture on friday, I have been twisting Rus arm, and if there is time he might give an impromptu performance. please don't hold him to it, there is a lot of other stuff to get through.
David
No offense but it's all been done before, check out the Provisions disk of Prohibition for a way to put a signed cap into a bottle using only one cap and one bottle. Even after 8 years and numerous copycats, Prohibition is still the best cap in bottle and has been used by more magicians than any other.

Jeff Pierce (Producer of Prohibition)
Hey Jeff

Prohibition is a brilliant effect and I myself have been using it for years, I have just strived to place my take on classic plots using my own unique style and approach.

I do agree it is one of the best and a bench mark in this type of effect, I say one as many versions of this are great, including captured by Justin miller and trapped by Jordan Johnson.

Best

R
Just watched the live performance of Captivated filmed in a bar in the UK. The folks went nuts for it and obviously enjoyed the performance.

This was the impromptu performance and it did have a strong wiff of Prohibition about it. Rus did also mention that the gimmicked version uses a well know and old principle, can be set up so its good to go for 'anytime' use and is totally invisible and leaves you clean at the end.

This does sound interesting, can't wait to see this one in action.
Thanks bond19 glad you like it.

Also just a small point the cap in bottle idea I'm pretty sure was released earlier than prohibition on the wizard p* r**g DVD way back by costas? So this shows that this plot has been played with numerous times through the years.

All the best

R
The bigger point is that the use of the required item for most cap in bottle routines goes back to the first routines and the Wizards P* R**g DVD (2007) came out much later than Prohibition (2004). The Cap Trap move devised by Charlie Justice and used in Prohibition had never been done before.

Feel free to post the performance video others are talking about so we all can see how different it is.

Jeff Pierce
Hi

As mentioned before this is a project I am still currently working, so is not complete as of yet, as soon as I am satisfied with my work I will post a proper demo video for all to see.

I'm not a copycat, I just enjoy putting my touch on great plots as was done with prohibition.

All the best

R
I will be very surprised if this is not very very similar to Justin and Charlies effects . A slight tweak at the very best , I hope its more different and better ( if that's possible of course ) !
Is that all you have to do nowadays? Just add your personal touch to someone elses creation and call it your own? I'm not being rude, just asking to understand this better. You are not claiming anything is new. You are admitting that you like taking tricks and adding your own touch to them. Isn't that what we are all supposed to do with a trick someone else created? Maybe I'm wrong, that's why I am asking.

Will there be new moves involved with this, or new handlings that are indeed an improvememnt and not just an alternative. If it's not finished yet, and it still needs tweeking, then why are we talking about this. It doesn't even exist yet. (lol)
I am pretty sure I just read that Rus enjoys putting his own touch on great plots. But you are right GaryLee I just wish everyone had left Triumph, Ambitious card, the linking rings, sponge balls, ring on string etc alone. All these magicians coming along and putting their own spin on things just makes my head spin.

I'm also pretty sure Rus didn't start this thread, someone else said they had seen this performed and heard from Rus that it was in the pipeline, Rus has explained that he is working on something, and given a little more detail. But GaryLee good idea, its not out why are we talking about this product that is still be worked on, perhaps it this should have been posted under a topic heading that dealt with speculation about forthcoming releases perhaps a
"place where folks can discuss the latest rumors, read announcements and speculate about the obvious hyperbole surrounding many of the upcoming products that are released into magicdom. Will they be genuine miracles or mere rhetoric? We ponder the question..."
if only such a topic existed on the Cafť...
'LOL'
David
[quote]
On 2012-03-14 10:26, GaryLee wrote:
Is that all you have to do nowadays? Just add your personal touch to someone elses creation and call it your own? I'm not being rude, just asking to understand this better. You are not claiming anything is new. You are admitting that you like taking tricks and adding your own touch to them. Isn't that what we are all supposed to do with a trick someone else created? Maybe I'm wrong, that's why I am asking.

[/quote]

I guess it depends on how much either the effect or the method is improved.

Or as in the case with Richard Sanders' "Extreme Burn" both were improved considerably (IMO).

Sammy
Yes, but if I took the gimmick Richard uses and modify it just slightly, would I be allowed to put it on the market and call it, "Extremely Burned"? lol
I don't know GaryLee, why don't you go away and give it a try?
(sorry forget to add LOL)
What a complete waste of thread! 2 pages of hype and arguments - nothing else! Can we just please see a demo?
Read a few genuine user reviews (not the usual hype from the magicians friends!) and we can all
make up our own minds. I use Prohibition and like it a lot so I am interested in seeing this. Less interested
in the hype and childish arguments.
What a complete waste of thread! 2 pages of hype and arguments - nothing else! Can we just please see a demo?
Read a few genuine user reviews (not the usual hype from the magicians friends!) and we can all
make up our own minds. I use Prohibition and like it a lot so I am interested in seeing this. Less interested
in the hype and childish arguments.
That was strange! This thread vanished, and then reappeared again a few hours later.
Jesus guys! (you know who you are). Give the guy a break here. I was able to see Rus perform this and I have to say that for your everyday, totally impromptu, no rings, no clap trap, no magnets, no nada..this is very very good. You have a really nice routine here rus and it is very well thought out.
JM
When can we see it?
Interesting to see people fighting about variations of their variations of variations
Guys,

I have seen this effect, after jamming with Rus tonight, and let me tell you, I will be using this, and I am more of a mentalist, but every now and then I like doing great close-up magic, and I can see me adding this to my repertoire no doubt.

I agree with Justin Miller, Rus did a good job with this one, and it something that you will want to do.

There are two versions

1) Impromptu
2) Gimmicked

You can decide which one suits your style.

Thanks

Alex
How do we know what you, or anyone else has seen will be what Rus puts on the market??

From Rus, "Hi

As mentioned before this is a project I am still currently working, so is not complete as of yet, as soon as I am satisfied with my work I will post a proper demo video for all to see."
Because I along with other people are helping Rus fine tune it, so that what he puts out on the market, will be of the utmost quality.

Alex
[quote]
On 2012-03-19 02:57, BMWGuy wrote:
Because I along with other people are helping Rus fine tune it, so that what he puts out on the market, will be of the utmost quality.

Alex
[/quote]

Hi! Im one of the "other"...
JM
[quote]
On 2012-03-18 21:24, GaryLee wrote:
How do we know what you, or anyone else has seen will be what Rus puts on the market??

From Rus, "Hi

As mentioned before this is a project I am still currently working, so is not complete as of yet, as soon as I am satisfied with my work I will post a proper demo video for all to see."
[/quote]

Gary, you must be happy that Rus is fine tuning this?

I for one am pleased that he is using this in the real world and putting it's through it's paces.
He is asking others to contribute ideas to bring us a quality finished product.

Surely that's what you should do before asking people to part with their hard earned cash?

People who have seen this are saying it is already great.
Just imagine what the end result will be ;)
Yes, but what's the point of giving a review on something that isn't finished yet? I am excited about what Russ is doing, but hearing reviews from those who are contributing to it is sort of biased isn't it. Especially when Russ hasn't finished fine tuning it yet.

Of course I want Russ to fine tune it, and whatever else he has to do before it finalized, and I think that's great!!!!!
Hi All

I see this thread is bouncing all over the place so I will try and shed a little light on this project.

Firstly they are not bias reviews, they are the opinions of people that have either seen me perform the effect live or have seen it via a skype session, they are not contributions, more me asking there thoughts on my approach to this plot.

The only person I have really sat down with and discussed this project in detail with is Justin Miller, he is the only one I have discussed the gimmick with so far.

Over the past week I have managed to sit down and watch every version of cap in bottle that I think has been released, including the prohibition provisions dvd, which I will add is a great dvd full of some amazing ideas to go with the original prohibition dvd, Charlie is a great thinker and performer.

Trapped also by Jordan Johnson, another great dvd.

Captured by Justin Miller, again an amazing approach to this plot also eliminating the use of the bent cap, this I feel took this great effect a step forward and raised the bar a little

Captivate is my take on this, I have always been interested in this as I mainly perform in bars and nightclubs, so developed a way to achieve the cap in bottle using my own performance style which most people know me for which is the BOLD APPROACH.

Like I said this is part of a larger project and will hopefully be complete soon.

Im looking forward to unleashing this peice of madness into the magic fraternity soon

Special thanks also to Justin Miller.

All the best

R
Well, BMWGuy believes he's helping you fine tune it. If that's the case, then he has contributed has he not?

<fine-tune
vb
(tr) to make fine adjustments to (something) in order to obtain optimum performance>

Glad to here Justin Miller is one of the others. He's got a great creative mind.
Gary,

I havent sent my ideas over to Rus yet, since I am jotting them down on paper, but I do have some which I will submit to Rus, and it is up to him whether or not to include them.

Alex
I expect Captivate will be captivating!
Why don't you just wait and see Gary?

What's with all the snide/ childish little comments?

Everyone involved in this project seems happy.

I'm pleased that there are creators out there willing to put their neck on the line to push our industry forward.

Sometimes they may not. Sometimes it may be a backward step. But they are out there doing it.
Pushing the boundaries and evolving tired routines to bring us all something fresh and current.
I am, whats your problem? I have questions, big deal. I didn't start this thread prematurely. But if you want to derail the thread, I'm not going to do that in respect to Russ. I sggest you show the same respect.
It's all gone very, very quiet on this thread. Any news on the release date anyone?
Hard to talk about something that isn't finished, and not worth reading reviews from friends of Russ who claim to have seen the trick that Russ says isn't complete. Until Russ has completed the effect, and is happy with what he has, there is no point in reading biased reviews, or discussing something that is still in the works.

It only fair to let Russ finish first.
Well, I look forward to it when it comes.....
Hi

Sorry for the delay, but as mentioned above I wanted to make sure I'm happy with it before releasing it.
Almost there tho, just a few little nuances to resolve as I want all skill levels of magicians to be able to perform this bit of crazy.

Captivate will be ready very soon, I'm also thinking of changing the name.

All the best

R
Fantastic news Rus, looking forward to this one! Cap in bottle is a stone cold classic and any additional routines are always worth exploring. Intrigued to see what you have done with this!
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 05:35, Rus ANDREWS wrote:
Hi

Sorry for the delay, but as mentioned above I wanted to make sure I'm happy with it before releasing it.
Almost there tho, just a few little nuances to resolve as I want all skill levels of magicians to be able to perform this bit of crazy.

Captivate will be ready very soon, I'm also thinking of changing the name.

All the best

R
[/quote]

C'mon Russ - we are all waiting!!
Great news you are refining it until you are 100% happy - best way to go for sure.
I have just spoke to Rus (about something else entirely) and asked him what was going on with his spin on the cap in bottle effect? the latest news is that he has been working and testing some variations on the idea (including showing the cap penetrated half way into the bottle). So the routine is going to include the original and some interesting ideas, that could be applied to this and other methods. The routine and its various phases, and presentations are going to be on a DVD, with the final product likely to be available by the end of May (and maybe sooner).
David
Here is the trailer for Evolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYIIzhmRk4o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

All the best

R