(Close Window)
Topic: Zero to Booked Solid in 30 Days Review?
Hello all! I came upon this program and it looks very good. Could I please get a review on it? Does it work like it says? How did it work for you? Does it work in all economic regions? Thank you!
James Munton pops in here from time to time and seems quite accessible to answer questions about this. Seems many speak very highly of him and this program. Very credible.
I'm also curious what users of it think of it. I've got a bunch of marketing courses just want to see how this is helpful.
I purchased James Mutton's course last summer. To answer your question "Does it work like it says?" - that will depend on if you work like he says to. It is much like an exercise program, if you stick to the program it works. To answer your question more specifically though, you will need to have a strong show to start, as I do not recall much on show content in the course. He provides detailed and specific tips on what markets to pursue and how to land the gigs, as well as how to make the most from each one. He also includes an opportunity to ask questions directly to him for up to one year from purchase. I will also mention here that I am not a full time magician. I am a student and I book shows around my school schedule. My intent in purchasing James Mutton's course was to greatly increase my bookings, not to become a full timer. Now I book as many shows as I can handle and I will be turning shows away this summer. I owe much of that to James' for sharing (at my expense of course) his secrets. I believe anyone who has a strong show and lives in a reasonably populated area could follow James receipe and be booked solid soon enough. If you have a personality like James, you could do it in 30 days as he states he did.

P.S. Mindpro is right on. Prior to my purchase, I PM'd James and asked him to view my website to determine if my type of show would benefit from his course. He took the time to review my website and promptly got back to me with several specific reasons why his course was right for me.
M&M Magic,
His course is fantastic. Will it book you solid? No. But it will give you some strategies and ideas that can get the ball rolling..Absolutely. If you put in the work and do everything he suggests (and you have a good product and good personality), you should be able to get yourself booked solid.

James should be charging much, much more for his course, it's filled with incredibly valuable insights from a real professional. Having completed his course, and knowing what I know, I would have spent more than double his asking price and felt like I got a great return on my money.

Some advice: don't skip things over, massive action is the only way to get results! Don't just blow through the course, make sure you're taking action on the information you've already assimilated before you attempt to absorb more!

Best Wishes,
Kevin
Is this based on/for kids party entertainers? Or would it work for theaters and corporate entertainers?
James is the owner of the magic bistro, and he posts there daily.
Thank you for the nice comments. I agree with almost everything you mentioned - especially about not blowing through the course and needing to take massive action yourself. No marketing course can hand bookings to you on a plate. My course requires you to do some serious self-analysis and make some major changes to how you go about things. I think of it like playing guitar. You can get into some bad habits which can be quite hard to correct. But I try to break everything down into manageable steps.

One thing I want to correct is that there is no time limit on completing the course. Yes, it is designed to read through in 30 days. But it will probably take you longer to do all the things I say. And many people go through more than once. I find people tend to race through it the first time and then go back when they realize things aren't working as they had hoped and do everything properly.

The course is designed for people like myself who are "general practitioners" and do both family and adult shows and tend to stay mainly local. This describes about 80% of full-time performers I would say. However, there are many articles that are applicable for adult-only performers.

Best,
James
I recently took this course (End of 2011).

Here's my review. I have been meaning to do this for some time. Full disclosure: I have never met James Munton and had never really heard of him before this course. So, even though my review is pretty positive, I hope it is objective too.

BACKGROUND: I have been full time as a Clown/Magician since July 2011 (not even a year yet). When I ordered the course it was tough to come up with the money because I was really struggling to get things off the ground.

WHAT IT IS: The course is a set of instructions meant to be worked through every day. It is NOT a 3-Ring Binder you get in the mail. It is NOT an eBook you download. The daily interaction pages are not very long. That's a plus and a minus. They are easy to work through even when you are busy. The minus is that sometimes the topics are handled relativity briefly.

James does not promise to get YOU booked solid in 30 days. It is what he did to go from Zero to Booked Solid in 30-days after moving from DC to Dallas. His tips have helped me book a lot more gigs but I did not get "booked solid" in 30-days. I'd love to get more and am getting closer to my goals every day. This is not a magic bullet approach but specific steps that work (but they take hard work).

I have read (and written) marketing material in other fields. This is not warmed-over Dan Kennedy or Alex Mandossian stuff. It is specific steps for magicians and not general internet marketing stuff.

It handles very practical day-to-day issues yet emphasizes the big picture.

I tracked carefully and I earned back the cost of the program in less than a month. I counted money I earned directly from James tips, not general advice that encouraged me to do better marketing but very specific tips that got me gigs that I would not have gotten without the course.

The course is worth more than it costs (that's how I define a good value) in these ways. NOTE: I do mostly kids shows so my comments are about what I use for kids shows. Here's my partial list of items that each would make it worth the cost:

1) What James says about how to close the show so the birthday child gets a great surprise and the other kids get jealous (and wanting you at their next birthday).

2) The way James handles photos so mom and day feel they got their money's worth (and other moms and dads want to book you too).

3) Resources for where to purchase things like marketing materials, banners, customer relationship management tools, and things that have already saved me more money than the cost of the course. These are things I would have bought anyway. James' suggestions saved me money.

4) Areas to expand my market. (I've booked over $1000 in gigs that were in markets I had not served before, since taking the course).

5) Suggestions for follow-up. James' blueprint for what to say and do as you get paid and Thank You emails have helped me book extra gigs.

6) TOTTR helped me get a lot more gigs. But I'm still working on that. (I'm not going to tell you what TOTTR stands for. Yes, it is a marketing tease so you will take the course, but it is worth a lot. If you do this right you will be the number one performer in your market.)

CONS:

1) The material is great but I want to be fair and give you a realistic picture. There is not a lot of material compared to some other courses. The daily format keeps it short and pithy. But, that comes at a cost. There is not a whole lot of material. He hits high points and sets you in the right direction. Not every aspect is explained in the detail that I am used to from these types of tools.

2) I took the course during one of James' busy periods and sometimes I'd have to wait a couple of days for a reply to my comments. He is very personal with the comments and interaction but it is not going to be as fast as an autoresponder, form email, or note from an office assistant.

BOTTOM LINE: I made my money back in a short time. That's all I would have needed to know before I took this. I have more money now than I did before taking the course directly because of things James taught.

Also, the ideas continue to make me money. Over the next year I will make MANY times more than the cost of the program directly from things I am doing now that I would not be doing if I had not purchased the program.

This course makes good business sense because you will have more money in your pocket.
Great review.
If you want to see a short video that shows screenshots etc
visit. Http://www.magiccoach.com/magicsells.html

There is a special price on for a few more days

TH
Mr Hyde. When is the last day of the deal?

Since you're promoting it, what have you personally gotten out of the marketing course. Just curious.
Message: Posted by: Al Kazam the Magic Man (Mar 19, 2012 12:02PM)
MT asked: what have you personally gotten out of the marketing course. Just curious.

Probably money, as he is a re-seller of the product. :) Mr. Hyde does not do kids shows anymore.
Yes it expires on March 222nd at least that is what the website says!

I don't own the course matter of fact I don't own any of the marketing courses but this one has been given some really good reviews and comes highly recommended and like any marketing course it all comes down to how hard YOU are willing to work.

sam
[quote]
On 2012-03-19 12:26, MT wrote:
Mr Hyde. When is the last day of the deal?

Since you're promoting it, what have you personally gotten out of the marketing course. Just curious.
[/quote]

Hi MT

Yeah, the deal is still on, probably for another week.

I've hardly been home in the last few days near my desktop
to actually change the "last day" date OR remove the link.
(And that may stay there for a few days more. Back on a plane
in half an hour, Sydney to Cairns.3 days work at a corporate event
then fly to Fiji, get on a Princess Ship and cruise back to Sydney.

But still managing to process the sales "on the road".
The last sale went through when I was in Bali for the day
having dinner just down the road from where the 5 terrorists
were shot on Sunday night. Yikes.

I actually help promote very few products from other people.
Sometimes for a small commission, sometimes because they are friends.
In this case both.

No I don't do kids shows any more, or even family style shows.
But, I know it's good and great value and that's why I help James market it.

Yes, I got a few things out of the course. A couple of useful tools.
I also think James is dynamic and quite motivating
and if you want to get ahead in this game
start hanging out with dynamic and motivating people
rather than armchair experts.

I've not heard of anyone who has not recieved
far more than $150 value from this innovative course.

Timothy
Timothy Hyde is THE MAN and my absolute first choice to do a joint venture with.

Best,
James
I hope Timothy keeps the special up until tomorrow as I'm seriously considering getting this tonight even though I DON"T do kid or family shows.

I think it may be adaptable to dinner parties & corporate.

Mark
Yes, I cover all that in the course too.

I think Timothy is still swanning around the South China Sea on a cruise so I am sure the offer will be good for a few more days!
I took James' course a few months back. Here's the thing, you don't have to do kid shows in order to benefit from this course. I do kid shows and corporate and private party events. James' course shows you different techniques for each market.

Now, here is where James' course is different from all the other courses. If you ask a question he will make sure you're in the right place in the course and if you're not he will "politely" tell you to go back and finish the steps before. This happened to me. I wanted to move forward and get to all the meat and potatoes parts about booking shows. He reeled me back and now I appreciate it.

James gives you a 1) solid foundation on which a real business in entertainment is based and 2) the tools to go out and make business for yourself.

It is a great course and after I was done I bought his instant author package and instead of shleping goodie bags all over town every weekend I print books for $1 each and sell them for $5 each and make an extra $50-$100 per kid show!

The course has paid for itself many times as has his author book. I am in debt to James Munton!

Josh London
I have to say that I'm intrigued enough to take the course...so I AM taking the course.

James told me that my websites were awful, that I wasn't telling my clients the right things and that my 20+ years as a full time performer were both a big advantage and a huge disadvantage. He's a real charmer. :) But you know something? Maybe he's right.

As performers we design our own acts, our own costumes, our scripting, our marketing materials, our websites, or sales materials our own EVERYTHING. Who knows it all? Not me. Good advice is as valuable as gold. If it saves time...GREAT. If it lands me more bookings...GREATER.

I've managed to perform full-time for over 20 years precisely because I welcome help and advice from people who know more than I do. So what's a hundred and fifty bucks compared to maybe learning valuable techniques that can land even more shows? I'll make the investment back the first time I'm booked. So where's the risk?

The course has good reviews from people I respect, James is credible in his interview...so....? And who doesn't want more bookings?

David
David, you won't regret it. James is perfectly right in saying that having 20 years experience is both good and bad. I recently asked for a review of my newly designed kid show website on the Café here and a lot of people didn't like the site. But here's the thing, it worked and continues to pull better than my old site.

James' course will be very upfront and honest and let you know if it's working or not. You'll be able to stop thinking like a magician and start thinking like a party planner. He is a solid guy and it was a pleasure doing business with him.

Josh
Yup, giving this a try. I agree with David. It could give you good returns on investment. Give it a shot.

Anyone got any personal experience selling Munton's adult mentalism booklets? Is it working out for you?
Hi Guys, sorry for the delay to the few people who took up the offer in the last few days.
Yes, I'm back on a cruise, in beautiful Vanuatu, using dodgy wifi in the crew mess.

Yesterday I got up at 3am, drove 2 hours to the airport
waited 2 hours, flew 4 hours, waited an hour for our transfer,
drove 1 hour, waited for a Tender to take us to the ship,
30 minute transfer, an hour dealing with signing onto the ship,
straight into tech rehursal, then 2 X 50 minute shows
for about 1800 happy people. Gota love this job to do it. I do.

Offers still stand if the Links are still there on the Info Page

TH
James and I had a chat about this
and we have agreed to leave the special price
on Zero to Booked Solid
and the 2 Instant BOR products til the end of April.
We are really pleased with the response.

So this is an ideal time to join up...
not only do you save significant $
but there are quite a few people joining at the same time
which will mean the discussion boards linked to each days activities
will be quite lively and supportive

TH
I've got a few different websites. My newer ones are better than my original.
My original website certainly needs a face lift and I intend to get to it. I've had friend magicians tell me the site isn't so good. But I've also had clients tell me they love that website. Who to believe?

Jim
[quote]I've got a few different websites. My newer ones are better than my original.
My original website certainly needs a face lift and I intend to get to it. I've had friend magicians tell me the site isn't so good. But I've also had clients tell me they love that website. Who to believe?

Jim[/quote]

I believe my telephone! When I do a marketing activity and the phone rings with potential gigs, that's when I believe.
I've been working through this course of James' and I highly recommend it. Even one change or one idea can generate tons of money for you so do yourself a favor.
Has anyone working in the U.K. benefitted from this course?
I took the plunge & bought the course a few weeks ago.

James has put together a unique marketing course with suggestions, methods, ideas & secret information that I haven't seen anywhere else. I've bought the Dave Dee & Eric Paul course years ago but came away from them feeling like it was 'pie-in-the-sky fluff. Maybe I didn't work hard enough with those courses but, James' Zero to Booked Solid course has me stopping my focus in other areas & re-vamping my current marketing ideas & implementing his knowledge into my 'plans of attack'.

I can just FEEL that his ideas & suggestions are going to work because they're different than other strategies I've read & because he's living proof!

Thanks, James (and Thanks, Timothy, too!)
Mark
Thanks Mark, James and I are really pleased with the response to the sale
and more importantly the feedback from people like you.

Timothy ( Special offer ends 30th April)
I'm very interested in this course.
I've been to the website but didn't see the special offer.

How do I sign up and get the discount?

Thanks!

andrew
[quote]
On 2012-03-19 07:17, MrHyde wrote:
Great review.
If you want to see a short video that shows screenshots etc
visit. Http://www.magiccoach.com/magicsells.html

There is a special price on for a few more days

TH
[/quote]

Andrew -

Follow the link in the post I'm quoting above.

- Donald
Donald,

Many Thanks!

andrew
Andrew ... We recieved your order , thanks, sent you an email.
Sorry for the delay, I've been performing in New Zealand.

Donald .. thanks for that, James and I appreciate it

Gang .. The Discount is still valid but will be removed in the next few days .
(Probably when I'm back from my next assignment in Cairns.
If its still on the site we will honour the price offered.)

Timothy
[quote]
On 2012-03-24 12:19, David Thiel wrote:
I have to say that I'm intrigued enough to take the course...so I AM taking the course.

David - I wonder what your thoughts were on the material in this course. It would be interesting to hear what someone with 20+ years experience in the business has to say.

Thanks
Hi, Charlie...

In my conversations with James, both on the phone and in email, he told me that his worry was that I would bypass some of the steps in his course because I've been running my magic/mentalism career AS a business for so long. So, I decided that I wouldn't. I was going to go step by step through the days and do exactly what he suggested.

Here's my honest review -- because you asked.

1) There's stuff -- lots of stuff -- in this course that any real full time pro is already doing. I won't get into specifics because I don't want to give away information on the course. But there are a lot of basic things: fanatical client care, simple sales techniques, generation of marketing materials, phone techniques etc. that you MUST do in order to stay in business.

2) The information on improving my web presence and the marketing of myself was truly valuable to me. I'd gotten interested in the course because James told me he felt my website was not anywhere near as good as it could be. He was right. This, to me, was the key benefit of the course. My website is MUCH improved as a direct result of having taken this course. I would have paid many times more than this to a pro to re-design it.

3) There is a very definite cant toward children's performers, although it could be argued that the same techniques, with a little imagination, could be applied to marketing to adults.

4) Like many others, I felt that a little more detail -- more explanation on some of the key topics would have been appreciated. James is very brief in his topics...sometimes a little TOO brief.

5) One very interesting thing about this specific approach is that there is a forum after each day where people who have taken the course before have written their questions or observations. This was most valuable for teasing out many of the details and questions that occurred as we worked through the days.

Realistically, if you've never taken a marketing course before or are thinking of going full-time -- or even increasing your bookings...if you're unsure of how to get started working in this business...this course will be worth its weight in gold. The good business sense it offers, coupled with effective marketing ideas will be a wonderful revelation. There's very little that is unique to this course -- things that haven't been said or written about before. But the system for the delivery of these ideas and the clarity and order with which they are delivered is a wonderful and effective combination.

If you've been performing for a while -- then you already know that if you can get even ONE idea that helps you increase your effectiveness or be more efficient...$150 is a very reasonable price to pay.

Was the course a revelation to me? I can't honestly say it was. Was it worth the investment? Absolutely. I'm walking away from it with a significantly deeper understanding of web marketing -- along with a few marketing ideas that I didn't have before.

I hope this perspective helps.

David
David, thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts. Very informative.

One line seems to be recurring in each of the reviews: It was worth the investment.
David - thanks. Your desire and willingness to learn and share serves as an inspiration to me.
Thanks for the great review. I really appreciate it.

I tried to break everything down into bite sized pieces so it doesn't overwhelm or intimidate. It is tricky to get the right balance. The discussion section under each article is available to ask any follow-up questions where I can go into greater detail.

Best,
James
Here is some great information I found on the Café.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=338503&forum=44&start=0
Yes James is not just another guru. He has made DVD's, written books, sells his marketing course, produces podcast's, Runs a magic forum, and does about 200 shows a year in his spare time. He certainly practices what he preaches. Unlike others only a small part of James' income comes from being a marketing guru.
Al, reading that made me feel exhausted! And you didn't include the most tiring part which is being a dad!
I don't consider myself a guru of anything. Everything I do, I do for fun. If it isn't fun, why bother?

But for those who want to know the real secret for success:

http://i.eatliver.com/2012/8870.jpg
Well I tall you this. James gives away more shows than most guru types do. Good paying ones I hasten to point out.

That alone speaks to the veracity of his claims. He also makes no phoney promises. He shows you how to work hard. He also has many years of success you can easily track.

I am not recommending, Just sayin.
Thank you, Danny.

Mother, what are you jabbering about? Happy belated birthday by the way.
He'll be opening the Zero to Booked Solid in 30 Days 2.0 course in a couple of weeks.
I too, will vouch for James and his Booked Solid course. IF you DO what he says, don't just read it but follow his advice, you WILL be booked more than ever before. Well worth three times what you pay for it!!!!
James is probably aiming for end of January on this, a lot of extra material being added and rewriting going on.

And yes, we will probably have a discount deal once again for MagicCoach subscribers
A friend of mine purchased James Munton's course and thought it was very good. He said it was very thorough.

It just makes you wonder, though, how much more new stuff can be said when his last course covered just about - EVERYTHING?

Gerry
Ha! That is a good point.

There will be quite a few updates. Here are a few:

1. All the Magic Bistro podcasts will be added for download. Since the Bistro closed these are no longer available. I just need to check with all the guests to make sure they don't mind first. This will be over 12 hours of interviews with people such as Jolly Roger, Great Zucchini and one of my favorites - Starrpower! I'm going to give them all a free membership so I am sure they won't mind.
2. I have changed some of the products I use such as my CRM and website host. I am adding a complete resource list of everything I use in my business. I am also adding all the forms and emails, etc that I use.
3. I am expanding the sections on school/library shows and corporate events. I am going to go into great detail about developing shows for these markets.
4. Lots more video. I am adding actual performance clips and showing what I pack for shows - also the how and why.
5. I am completely redesigning the section on websites. A lot has changed over the last two years.
6. There are many things in the original course that I mentioned briefly and then were discussed in the comments sections. So I am expanding a lot of the information. This is a challenge, because I still want to stick to the 30 days formula - i.e. you work through the course spending 30 minutes a day for 30 days. But realistically, if you really put the work in and do all the things I suggest, it is going to take you longer than 30 days.

Things that are the same:

I still hate FaceBook and think it is an ineffective marketing tool for what most of us do.

I keep having more ideas to add and this is now taking me a lot longer than I initially planned. Instead of a simple edit, it has turned into a major re-write. The whole site is being redesigned. So the target date is now Feb. 1.

I have just put up a sign-up sheet at http://www.zerotobookedsolid.com - the first 10 people will receive a discount. I will also give a discount to the people who already emailed me. Of course existing members will have free access to the updated course.

Sorry if this has started sounding like an ad. I just wanted to respond to Gerry's comment.

Best,
James
James,

Do existing members still have access? I didn't know about the upgrade and went to login to look for a resource and got the new launch countdown site.

Tim
Will there be an endorsement from Muscles the Clown? :clownonball:

Good to sea you James. Hope you're doing well.

John
James, restart the Bistro again!! It was a place where we could talk about politics, our problems, everything and even if we disagreed we were all friends that would help each other if one of us needed help. Loved the discussions with Al Angello and learned from him too.
Tim, yes existing members will have free access. I just closed the old site down for a few weeks while I build the new site. Sorry for the temporary disruption.

Peter, I just don't have the energy for the Bistro I'm afraid.
[quote]
On 2014-01-06 16:32, James Munton wrote:
Tim, yes existing members will have free access. I just closed the old site down for a few weeks while I build the new site. Sorry for the temporary disruption.

[/quote]

Good to know! Looking forward to it.
[quote]

Good to know! Looking forward to it.
[/quote]

Me too! I took the plunge and signed up on the link here in the thread.
Those podcasts are incredible. Fair warning, however -- unless James edits it out, the "Magic Bistro Theme Song" is one of those that will get trapped in your head! I have actually found myself singing the bloody thing in the course of my day! And I also hope you keep the Arnold parody, James; it's hilarious.
James,

I am looking forward to the upgrades. I PM'd you, please respond to the email in the PM.

Thanks,
Stephen
James,

Please have more information about growing the birthday party business. My primary business is birthday parties and Day Cares.

Thank you,
Stephen
This is a great course & the updates will make it greater!

I'm glad existing members are getting the free access!

Thanks, James!

Mark
I just signed up and can't wait
Mark, some time ago there was a fellow who put out an e-book for mentalists called Swichcraft. His name was Bresler I think. The book started out as 100 pages and every few months I would get an updated version as the thing grew and grew. I didn't have to pay a penny more. I always thought that was a fabulous service to provide the customer. Can you imagine Apple giving everyone a free iPhone when the latest and greatest model comes out?

Anyway, I liked this Bresler and the cut of his jib, so I thought I would do the same. I know many people buy things and then never bother using them. There are hundreds of good books I started, but never read all the way through. So hopefully the newly revised course will be a good incentive for those who previously joined, but for some reason never made it all the way through.

Best,
James
Looking forward to the updated release, James. I'll be on board!
It seems like most of us are pleased customers, but if there's anyone who hasn't bought the course yet, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

At Kidabra (KAX), I was asked what courses I would recommend to people newer to the entertainment business, specifically family magicians. I told the person that I had read just about everything I could when I was starting out, that you glean gems from each course. Some were better than others, but it's good to read a lot of things. The person persisted and asked, "But if there was one course on the business part of it that you really had to recommend, which one would it be?" I told them I would choose Zero to Booked Solid. It's a great course with TONS of useful, real-world strategies. I feel like James has a course that's set apart from the others.

James - Thanks again for updating the course and adding even more! It speaks highly of you (for even thinking to improve the course) and it sounds like everyone who's participated is speaking highly of it.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Signed up! I'm very excited. :)
I have completed day #2's lesson, and already I have learned some valuable information. ...looking forward to today's lesson
--Charlie
Is it correct that members of the first course can not log in anymore on the new website?
I bought access to the online course in 2012 and it seems like my account does not work anymore.
I got a response from James recently indicating that he would be sending out an email soon to those of us that were previous members. I assume that he will be giving us instructions at that time on how to access the site. I am anxious to see it as well, but am trying to be patient knowing all the hours and headaches that are involved in not only rebuilding, but rewriting a site such as ZTBS. I'm sure it will be worth the wait!
I sent out the email already. Everyone who signed up for the original course gets free access to the new one. The email went out to the address you previously registered with. If you didn't get it, please get in touch with me by email and I'll get you sorted out.

Best,
James