(Close Window)
Topic: Hopping Half which to buy
I'm a hobbiest looking to buy a decent hopping half coin set in the UK but I am not sure who to buy from. Difficult when you can't see the product.

Tango have got a good reputation £42
Mark Masons own brand seem to have a good mention £28
I've seen a Sasco set for £28 but forums seem to think the quality is poor
Other MAgic shops such as Merlins have similar but Don't mention of who makes them
If I bought Johnson form the US with duty tax and postage seems to be prohibitively expensive

Any suggestions? I'll be using them for the occasional close up with kids and adults do not looking for the highest quality pro version

And is Tango quality very similar to Johnson?

And if any one has a set for sale let me know!

Thanks in advance

Mark
Hi Mark.
I have a great set from tango, and I'm real happy about the quality of the gaff. and ease of use. I have however made a few small modifications for my set, with a little teflon tape on all the expanded [s to make the gaff more silent.

so I will say go for the Tango and a little Teflon tape. and you have a great set.
Thanks Henrik. I was thinking Tango might be the way to go

Any other advice would be welcome
Mark
mark mason has a very nice set also.
and in my opinon johnson set can't be beat
unless you have a custom galfer make it for you.
todd
I have never seen this by Mark Mason. It's not on his USA website. Where did you find this Todd?

Thank you.

Jim
Link here to Mark Masons. I've emailed him and they are made by his own coin guy. At the price it's a good deal

http://www.jbtv.co.uk/bar-tricks/hopping-half-usa-half-dollar-english-penny-203-72-.php
Sounds like you found your answer!
Now that's really weird. They are only sold on Mark's UK site and not the US site, though the set does include a US half dollar. I would think that would be a good seller on the US site as well. Then again, what do I know?!

Thanks!

Jim
I don't understand it either jim.
I have purchased many coins from tango and have no complaints. Although you can never go wrong with Johnson coins.
Second vote for Johnson. Worth the extra little money. If you can get to a shop tell them you are buying a set. Compare the ones they have and you will see a noticeable difference. That's what I did and ended up with Johnson. Good luck!
Johnson has a pretty good quality Hopping Half set. You could always go the more expensive route and acquire a Hopping Half set from one of the coin gaff guys, (Schoolcraft, Lassen, etc.). Personally, I've been disappointed with Tango and would recommend sticking with Johnson. I've never seen Mark Mason's (JB Magic) Hopping Half set. But I know that his "coin guy",(or at least one of them), is Bob Swadling. If Mark had someone else make them, I'd stick with Johnson. But if Mark's set was made by Swadling, then I'd buy it sight-unseen without fear. Bob's work is top-notch and worth whatever Mark is charging.
I agree 100% with your assessment of Bob Swadling's work. He creates outstanding Gaffed coins!
I've ordered an expanded shell 2p from Bob. As he's in the States now it's taking a little time to arrive
Bought the English currency hopping half set a 2p and a 10p yesterday from Merlins Magic Shop in Wakefield. Beautifully made by a local jewler. Even close up they pass for regular coins. Can't recommend them enough. Unfortunately I had to return my Tango Hopping Half (in half dollars and pennies) back to another dealer due to circulat scratches on the super expanded penny shell.
I have a morgen dollar indian rupee
hopping half set coming next week
from roy kuepper.
Received my hopping half from kuepper today.
it is beautiful and perfectly made.
There are two different types of HH. One uses expanded- [, the other does not.
I think most would prefer the expanded; it can be used in many other effects.

John
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Apr 14, 2012 04:54AM)
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 23:46, Bendy wrote:
Johnson has a pretty good quality Hopping Half set. You could always go the more expensive route and acquire a Hopping Half set from one of the coin gaff guys, (Schoolcraft, Lassen, etc.). Personally, I've been disappointed with Tango and would recommend sticking with Johnson. I've never seen Mark Mason's (JB Magic) Hopping Half set. But I know that his "coin guy",(or at least one of them), is Bob Swadling. If Mark had someone else make them, I'd stick with Johnson. But if Mark's set was made by Swadling, then I'd buy it sight-unseen without fear. Bob's work is top-notch and worth whatever Mark is charging.
[/quote]

That is almost exactly word for word what I was thinking when I was reading this thread! I concur Bendy. I personally wouldn't go down the Tango route simply because I found him very blunt and rude when I asked for some advice about some gaffs I bought from him (not cheap either, genuine silver Morgan fakes.)

I wish I hadn't sold my old Johnson hopping half and I would buy from Bob Swadling in a heartbeat.

Also, for the price Mark Mason one is very good value. I believe (though you may want to check with Mark and ask if Bob makes them) that the £2 is expanded but the 2p is not. So you'd have an expanded £2 to do shadow coins, coins acress etc to.

Bri
If you want this for the HH routine you might want to check out Curtis Kam's HH routine that uses a completely different gaff. I think he teaches this in Dangeous Notations.
Message: Posted by: somethingupmysleeve (Nov 8, 2016 04:36PM)
Hi all. I'd like to buy a Hopping Halves set in UK coins. I've seen Alakazam now offer a £2/2p version like Mark Mason (jbtv).

Alakazam is slightly more expensive (£65 vs £55), but I would be interested to know if anyone has a strong recommendation of one above the other?

Many thanks for your help.

Jon
I am a huge Mark Mason fan but Alakazam has a pretty good reputation as far as I have seen. ( I have never seen a thread complaining about anything they make or their service ). It is really up to you. I do know for a fact that any coin gaff you buy from Mark will be top shelf though.
Another vote for Johnson here. I have had a csb set for about 20+ years now and it is still a great set of coins! I recently bought a Johnson HH set and it is in excellent condition. The ['s fit perfect. I cant wait to get time to play with it! Johnson (for me) is no doubt the best bang for the buck.. :)
Message: Posted by: somethingupmysleeve (Nov 9, 2016 04:49PM)
Thanks both for your input. I bought a Coin Unique from Mark and loved it, but have also bought a few things from Alakazam in my time. Unfortunately with the exchange rate at the moment Johnson will be too expensive - alas!
I am also a huge fan of Mark Mason. I got Coin Unique too, waiting in the mail.
Message: Posted by: somethingupmysleeve (Nov 11, 2016 01:57AM)
Coin Unique is fantastic. I have the 1 pound / 1 pence version, so I'll need to introduce it differently once the pound coin changes in the UK next year! I'm hoping they don't change any more currency - doesn't help our coin magic!

Re. hopping halves, I've asked Mark if he has any in stock, so fingers crossed...
Mine is Johnson. Affordable price and good quality.

I still remember how happy is when my first time received it. It was 25yrs ago.
I too owned a Sun and Moon American half-dollar and English penny set, by Tango.
They rattled about like an old pair of false teeth.
Maybe I just got unlucky. Or perhaps expect too much.

I eventually got disheartened with them, and sold them on.
The spectator never noticed, but I always cringed every time I used them.
No, the coins not the old false teeth!

However, I do miss that routine.

Consequently, I have bought another set of coins, sold by Merlins Magic, of Wakefield, England.
Machined by a local engineer with 30 years experience.

A set of Tango coins will cost about £65-£70 in the UK.
Merlins sell this routine for £40 - which includes a matching ungimmicked penny and half-dollar.

Looking forward to reviewing this item when I receive it.
I have a Mason Walking Liberty set. The shells are not expanded, so the coins are shaved as a result. It handles great! Also have a Johnson Kennedy set that works great, as well!!

Canít go wrong with either!!
Shouksmiths ...
on your recommendation, I bought the half-dollar and English penny from Merlins Magic of Wakefield.
I understand they are made by a local jeweller with 30 years experience of working with coins.

Wow - quality is excellent.
I ordered mine 3:30pm - and received the coins the very next day.

I took the option to purchase a matching ungimmicked set of coins too, to use with the Quiver purse.

Cannot recommend this supplier and the quality of goods highly enough!!
Fantastic customer service, quality - and VERY competitive price.
Saved me £££'s
What are the resources for other hopping half routines? The effect is nice, but it seems a bit repetitive and can make the person watching feel a bit dumb
Hi wilso,

Take a look here form some ideas of hopping half routines: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=181198&forum=202

Regards, Steve
[quote]On Feb 22, 2020, w I l s o wrote:
What are the resources for other hopping half routines? The effect is nice, but it seems a bit repetitive and can make the person watching feel a bit dumb [/quote]

Lots of effects are just about equally repetitive. Iíd say the main thing is to avoid making your spectator feel dumb, and thatís easy.

Instead of challenging them each time to say what coin remains (and always being wrong), make it about how you yourself once saw a magician doing this effect, and YOU (the magician) were always wrong. It baffled you, but lo and behold, it still happens, every time you demo it. You still canít figure out why it happens, but it does.

This takes the spectator out of the equation of being a victim; instead, you present yourself as the baffled dunce (and let the spec be baffled silently and harmlessly).

Or make up some sort of 3rd person story to narrate, and let the coins represent two deeply bonded characters in that story who just canít stay apart, no matter what. Or the like.