(Close Window)
Topic: My First Foray Into Bending Air
Greetings everyone!

Just received the "Klutz Book of Balloon Twisting" so I can learn some techniques.

First section after tying the balloon says: "Stretch the balloon from the nozzle to the tail by pulling it through your grasp. Don't skip this step -- it really helps."
Does anyone do that? I've never seen that done before. Any tips on what to do after tying before twisting?

And do most of your creations start with the balloon fully inflated to the tip? That seems to be pretty standard in this little book.

I've made a couple hats already, so I'm feeling pretty good... don't "burst" my bubble (balloon) with snarky comments about the Klutz book please!

Thanks everyone!
[quote]
First section after tying the balloon says: "Stretch the balloon from the nozzle to the tail by pulling it through your grasp. Don't skip this step -- it really helps."
Does anyone do that? I've never seen that done before. Any tips on what to do after tying before twisting?

And do most of your creations start with the balloon fully inflated to the tip? That seems to be pretty standard in this little book.
[/quote]

Welcome to the twisted world of balloons. Stretching the balloon is helpful for fully inflated balloons in hat sculptures, allowing you 1-2 extra twists. I assume the book also taught you to let a "burp" of air out before you tie it. Both of these techniques soften the balloon, helping to ward off the dreaded pop monster. Soften it too much, though, and the balloon won't hold the twists and will be difficult to work with.

I could go on (and on, and on ...) but I strongly suggest you find a local seasoned twister or group to learn from. There are several great twisters in Michigan. BHQ.com has a search function that can help find twisters near you. You are going to have many more questions and talking with someone in person will be more help than writing back and forth on forums. (just my humble opinion)
As with everything, the more you do it the easier it gets. You have to go through the bad balloons before you get to the good ones.

Best of luck!