(Close Window)
Topic: Tenyo Prison Box
I read in some post that after serveral uses of Prison Box it broke.
Has anyone had one break and how did it break, just using it or was force being applied, fell on the floor?
I haven't got one yet just wondered if it is something I should get 2 of if it is prone to breakage.
No breaks here at all and I have it loose (but tucked in) in my magic briefcase and thought it would break by now so I got extras.

I never heard of one breaking.

What could happen, if you pass it out I can see that an audience member being too rough could break it.

Also I read somewhere that you should not tighten the bolts too tight when you store it because it can warp.

I have had mine for almost 10 years and it is still going strong.
I read it someplace in a post just a few days ago in older post that one broke but didn't say how.
Now I can't find where I seen it.
You have one 10 years later that still works that is good news.

Did read that too about it warps with bolts too tight and storing it that way.

Is it really necessary to have it covered that long and bounce it around under the cloth to do this effect?
The un natural way the box is being held length ways towards the spectator before it is covered in the video's must be mandatory to work the gimmick I guess.
Love the end effect but not so much the bouncing and way it is held.
But I have to get this for sure it's an all time crowd pleaser.
The "runways" or "guides" (that realigns or guides in the swivelled section )of my prison box broke off but it does not affect the ability to "swap" places. Just that I have to ensure that the positioning is aligned correctly before I remove the cloth / hankie.

Hope that helps
Hi MrWizard

No, you don't have to 'bounce' it around very long. It does need a bit of a 'knack' to get the 'move' done fluently. What I do is
- let specatator examine the box and ring,
- let him put in ring,
- take box back and slide lid on, telling this is another way to make sure I won't take the ring out of the box,
- do the turnover under a handkerchief as a 'joke' - I deliberately make this 'joke-move' pretty long - building up the tention. I'm doing this 'joke' two or three times.
- I take the box back, cover it once more and I then do the 'move' while walking/talking to the spectator so no one thinks something has happened yet
- while doing this (it's important to move a bit with your arms, body ... remember 'bigger' moves cover the smaller ones) I tell the spectator the ring is in the upper (or lower) compartment and I have a bad 'magic day' - I then let the spectator do the 'joke' move ... the specatator did the trick! I take it back and slide the cover off. I give the ring out for inspection.

Yes it can brake, the two sliding grooves (I don't know what else to call them in English) can brake easily when you pull them to the side. EDIT: basically what guerrestellari said :)
Tenyo has a tip on their website whereby you don't need the cloth at all. Looks like it will take some practice but it probably looks really nice if done right.

http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic_en/tips/tip07.html#Anchor01
Mine hasn't broke, but spectators, while examining it do try to force any moving part.
Would doing the move as described in the tip on the Tenyo site would there be even more of a chance to break off the guides by it rotating too fast anyone think?

Again I can only speculate not having one.

I would really like to see a video of it being done without being covered like that.
[quote]Tenyo has a tip on their website whereby you don't need the cloth at all. Looks like it will take some practice but it probably looks really nice if done right. [/quote]

You'd have to rotate your hand at the speed of a fan for someone not to see "the move".

I generally give demerits to tricks where you have to cover something up, but in the case of Prison Box, once you have the move down, you can make the swap in less than 5 seconds, so a cover takes second place to the impossible image of that imprisoned ring sitting in the middle compartment in that short amount of time.
"Rotate at the speed of a fan" : )
That could be a trick all on it's own!

Anyone tell me where is the best trusted reasonable priced place to get a new Prison Box or two?

Why Tenyo doesn't continue to produce the most popular highly sought after effects is amazing to me.
They have an Elite line not many seem to want to pay the high cost of, why not have a prepaid by request only discontinued line available!

Even if there was a minimum number of each you would have to purchase to place an order for resale purpose. You would clearly have to pay more than it cost originally but they would sell more than the Elite line many times over.

Being a businessman it makes no sense to me at all to discontinue something that has no problem with it and is constantly wanted by so many.
Is Hank Lee's Magic factory a good place to order a Prison Box? (Too soon, ;-) )
[quote]
On 2012-04-04 11:45, MrWizard wrote:
Would doing the move as described in the tip on the Tenyo site would there be even more of a chance to break off the guides by it rotating too fast anyone think?

Again I can only speculate not having one.

I would really like to see a video of it being done without being covered like that.
[/quote]

Me too! I would love to see what that looks like done well. I'm not a huge fan of tricks that covered under a hankerchief, but I really like this trick a lot. I can see where someone can break the plastic rails along the top if they pull upwards too hard. I want a metal version via Tenyo Elite- I'm thinking an antique-looking hammered metal finish would be awesome.
One other thing- I was playing with this when I first got it, and thought about a routine focused on Houdini. The ring represents Houdini, and the box represents the jail cell (the bolts look like bars with a bit of imagination). You can show the piece and talk about how Houdini will pass through objects, escape, etc., Hold a piece of paper or cloth over the bottom of the box and perform the move quickly with one hand and lower the cover and show the ring on the inner bolt instead.

John
[quote]
On 2012-04-04 19:59, tristanmagic wrote:
Is Hank Lee's Magic factory a good place to order a Prison Box? (Too soon, ;-) )
[/quote]

I looked didn't see Prison Box listed on Hank Lee's.
Might have missed it but didn't see one.
Prison Box is still easily available in Japanese packaging. So unless you’re a real fanatic that only wants English packaging here is a link where you can buy one with confidence:
http://www.themagictrickshop.co.uk/product.html?prod_id=71

If you do a Google-search you’ll find other sources I’m sure.
I advise you to buy a few because I believe in a few years time this could very well become the next Mini-Morphosis ;)
[quote]
On 2012-04-05 04:38, Killertweety wrote:
Prison Box is still easily available in Japanese packaging. So unless you’re a real fanatic that only wants English packaging here is a link where you can buy one with confidence:
http://www.themagictrickshop.co.uk/product.html?prod_id=71
[/quote]

When you buy from another country do you ever get charged additional fee from Customs when it gets to your country?
I seen this below disclamer that makes me wonder if shipping to USA will have a Customs import duty and tax charge.

CUSTOMS: You may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once the package reaches your country. Additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you; we have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be. Customs policies vary widely from country to country; you should contact your local customs office for further information. Additionally, when ordering from us, you are considered the importer of record and must comply with all laws and regulations of the country in which you are receiving the goods.

Thanks Richard
[quote]
On 2012-04-05 05:01, MrWizard wrote:
When you buy from another country do you ever get charged additional fee from Customs when it gets to your country?
I seen this below disclamer that makes me wonder if shipping to USA will have a Customs import duty and tax charge.

Thanks Richard
[/quote]

Here in Belgium I have a 10% chance of having to pay custom taxes when ordering from outside of the E.U. with standard economy shipping - a 10 EURO standard fee. Ordering with Fedex or DHL however very often gives me a nice litle present of 20 EURO 'administration and customs fees' when the declared value exceeds 50 USD if I'm not mistaking.
Ask the seller to mark the CN-form as gift and declare a low value (25 USD or something). I have sold and traded a lot with people from outside the E.U., mainly the U.S.A., and they never had to pay custom taxes as far as I know when I claim the item to be a gift and declare a low value.
I describe Tenyo items as 'magic tricks' when I send them - I never declare them to be 'toys' as some of the sellers do because some toys may not be imported in some countries (like bibiguns for example in Belgium) - declaring them to be 'toys' therefore often results in inspection and fees, at least here in Belgium.

I hope this helps - to sum it up, I wouldn't worry too much :)
How long has Prison Box been discontinued?
How long would you think it will be before it is almost impossible to find one new in package other than from a collectors stock?
Don't see many places that sell it doing google search now.
Prison Box hasn't been discontinued in Japan according to the official Tenyo site. The English version has been discontinued for over a year more or less I think. Only time will tell when it will become hard to find. Mini Morphosis sold for 60 - 70 USD, then suddenly BAM 350 USD - once that price was 'set' some Tenyo collectors bought up all the stock stores had left - the last one sold for less then 150 USD by the way, so for now that market is kind off 'saturated' - hopefully I will be able to obtain one for a decent price because I'd love to have a spare :)).
Anyway, I believe it will be a pretty long-term investment if you buy now hoping to make a profit out of them in the future ;)
"Mini Morphosis sold for 60 - 70 USD, then suddenly BAM 350 USD" WOW!
I just wanted to get a prison box or 2 before that happenes to it : )
Seen a japan seller on ebay saying it is getting hard to even find in japan now.
Might be just saying that to increase sales but noticed it went from 38.00 to 42.00 so makes me concerned it is time to buy now. Figured if I got 4 to keep 2 and eventually sell the other 2 would work out ok.
Then last night the sudden increase while in my cart to check shipping on 4 went from 36.95 to 44.95 in minutes of asking them can they get more really makes me want to get them now to be safe cause I will never pay 350.00 : )
I guess no reason to panic yet but getting uneasy about it.
Mr. Wizard,

Welcome to the Tenyo infirmary ward. You are in the early stages of the Tenyo Collecting Disease but are showing some signs of the later phases as well.

You are right about the Prison Box. It for sure will be $100 very soon. That why I have a stockpile of just over three dozen.

AA
[quote]
On 2012-04-05 20:53, The Amazing Azzam wrote:
Mr. Wizard,

Welcome to the Tenyo infirmary ward. You are in the early stages of the Tenyo Collecting Disease but are showing some signs of the later phases as well.

You are right about the Prison Box. It for sure will be $100 very soon. That why I have a stockpile of just over three dozen.

AA
[/quote]

hahaha I sure am.
I think it should be referred to from now on as "Tenyoitis" and later stages as "Chronic Tenyoitis" at the end it would be have to be considered to be "Fatal Tenyoitis"!!!!!!! : )
[quote]
On 2012-04-05 20:53, The Amazing Azzam wrote:
Mr. Wizard,

AA
[/quote]

That is not fair. I only have 4 Prison Boxes and it is my flippin' trick :D
Angelo

I was just kidding about having dozens of Prison Box. I was sort of poking fun at the infamous hoarder that lurks on these pages.

When someone in this Tenyo section mentions that a good trick is available somewhere, almost immediately the trick is sold out whether there were a few or a few dozen.

At first I was going to say I have "millions" of Prison Box, a la Dr. Evil in Austin Powers but decided on a somewhat more realistic amount.

I thought maybe I could lure in the hoarder and expose him but now the cat is out of the bag.

AA

P.S. When Stereo translates these messages with the slangs and expressions some of us use like "cat is out of the bag" he must be really puzzled.
I'm !
I believed you AA. Doh!
I'm sorry Angelo.

You should at least have more than anyone here at the Café.

I have 5, so If I give you one, then I will have 4 and you will have 5. It is only fair and a Good Tenyo Karma thing to do.

Please PM your address, I will send you one Mint English Prison Box.

I have to give one of our new Café participants Meridian credit for sparking this routine to use with Prison Box. He mentions about relating the Prison Box to a Houdini Escape and Houdini is the ring.

My idea is to add miniature handcuffs (instead of ring) and a small Houdini escape poster for even more of a Houdini flavor. I will send you the routine with mini handcuffs, mini poster and some patter ideas as well.

AA
You are most kind AA!
Angelo,

It would be my honor to send it to you.

I love the Tenyo tricks you invented. I know you invented other tricks but I mostly only know Tenyo magic.

I perform Prison Box and Crystal Cleaver together all the time. I would say that's my #1 go to tricks.

I perform Mini Morphosis with a coin on top. It works out really well.

I have not opened Floating Card yet but I am sure it is great too.

Plus I learned that you used to live in Manhattan. That's cool as well.

I was born in Brooklyn and worked all over Manhattan. Now I live and work in New Jersey.

Happy Easter
AA
I love New York!

Glad you like my magic :)

Happy Easter to you too!

Angelo
I am sad to report that the Houdini Prison Box Routine is on hold until I find the correct sized mini handcuffs.

This might be tough as I didn't realize how small the Prison Box is.

The mini handcuffs that I ordered above came in, and you can see in the picture that they are too large.

They are very nice steel cuffs with a locking mechanism and key but too big.

[img]http://www.funstuffonly.com/temp/houdiniprisonbox.jpg[/img]
Favor please!

Can one of you nice guys (or gals) please email me the English Instructions for Prison Box?

I just sold mine to someone in Singapore and I can't for the life of me find my instructions! Figures huh?

Waterloopai? John? Help! :)

Gracias.
Hi Brett

My scanner is not working unfortunately. Happy to mail you a copy if needed. Someone else will hopefully help out an old Tenyo regular :)

John
I'll send it tomorrow
Ed
Ed took care of me... THANKS ED !!!!

And thanks anyway John - you guys always come through. Really appreciate it.
You are not supposed to put Prison Box under a handkerchief when you perform it.
If you are not suppose to put Prison Box under a handkerchief when you perform it maybe Tenyo shouldn't print it as step 3 on every package.

[img]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1722/prisonbox01.jpg[/img]
That's not how Angelo Carbone does it.
Just to step in here, I have never performed it by covering it with a handkerchief. Even back with my prototype. I always hold the box behind my back. I guess Tenyo added the handkerchief as an additional way of covering the box.
I perform holding it behind my back, makes it easier to 'hide' the secret :)
Also I don't do the whole move behind my back and then bring it out. I do 90% of the move behind my back and AS I bring the box into view, I execute the final 10% of the move.
Why do you wait to do the last 10%? Just so you have it behind your back for less time?

I'm not following the advantage of doing the final move in the open....
[quote]
On 2013-06-07 11:31, teevtee wrote:
Why do you wait to do the last 10%? Just so you have it behind your back for less time?

I'm not following the advantage of doing the final move in the open....
[/quote]

Indeed teevtee, I was asking myself the same question. We want a video Angelo ;)

By the way, as an inventor of a few of the best Tenyo tricks, is there a reason why you never performed them on video/posted them on youtube? There are some great videos of people performing your Tenyo tricks, but I'd love to see them performed by the inventor :)
Has anyone actually seen the non-hidden move spin technique performed?
Ya I would love to see Angelo perform this please make a video soon.
The video will be in my book. :)
[quote]
On 2013-06-07 03:27, Angelo Carbone wrote:
Also I don't do the whole move behind my back and then bring it out. I do 90% of the move behind my back and AS I bring the box into view, I execute the final 10% of the move.
[/quote]

What is the advantage doing that way ?
It's much quicker.

The whole point in performing "Prison Box" is to cut down the amount of time the box must be out of sight, and also to find a way to excuse the sound. The way Angelo does it solves both of these problems.
I do it this way so it is indeed behind my back for less time. What I do is take much longer for the dummy turn around. This makes the real ending more impressive as it happens much quicker. Richard filmed me perform Prison Box in the Magic Circle library so you can see it on the DVD.

As for not making videos of me performing my Tenyo tricks, there is no specific reason. I just never got around to it. However I do have a youtube channel showcasing the majority of my creations. You can see me perform my Floating Card (Ascent video) but my other Tenyo effects I just found generic good videos for them.

Channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
As an aside... if there were ever a Tenyo trick BEGGING to be made "Elite" it is Prison Box. A bueatiful wooden box with sturdy bolts running through... perfect.

Also, is there anything NOT in your book Richard!?! ;-)
Yes that would be nice.

Just to clarify, the larger motion of the hand moving from behind my back to the front of my body, hides the smaller motion of pushing the gimmick home/closed.
I was thinking about the possibility of modifying the box such that it would be possible to engage the gimmick without the need to cover the box. If the gimmick had a spring or piece of elastic and could be wound under tension before you start the trick, the box could be flipped in the air, and while spinning, the gimmick would engage and move into place to relieve the tension in the spring. The locking mechanism would still enable it to be examined at the end.

I would love to see a Tenyo Elite version of this trick; especially one made of die cast metal with an antique finish.
Since no one, including Tenyo themselves, have a concrete idea of everything they've made, there will likely be quite a few items not in my book (everything pre-1965, for example, is very spotty; catalogues exist, but are mostly full of imported items).

The folks at Tenyo are being extremely helpful in trying to piece together a comprehensive list of items put out, but even for recent decades that's not an easy task. I have more work to do in Japan (two more trips), and some traveling and meeting collectors and so on. Sometimes collectors know things the company has forgotten about.
Lucky you. I love Japan. I try to visit every couple if years.
[quote]On Apr 4, 2012, MrWizard wrote:

Why Tenyo doesn't continue to produce the most popular highly sought after effects is amazing to me.
[/quote]

I've often wondered about that myself. Crystal Cleaver is always available but many others are not and are very expensive on the secondary market. Ultra Tube is one I wouldn't mind having but is near impossible to find.
[quote]On Jun 7, 2013, teevtee wrote:
As an aside... if there were ever a Tenyo trick BEGGING to be made "Elite" it is Prison Box. A bueatiful wooden box with sturdy bolts running through... perfect.

[/quote]

Agreed!!!
I have a seales new Tenyo prison box, whats it worth, Also a Tenyo sealed mobile illusion, magicwalsh@gmail.com
Angelo Carbone's original prototype of "Prison Box" was made of wood, so there's no question it can be done. It should be noted that the prototype was much larger than the product Tenyo put out.
Prison Box is becoming hard to find because it's discontinued and it has one of the most clever mechanisms of all Tenyo tricks. That makes it one of the best choises the guys from Elite could make, we'll see ... .
Angelo's Prototype did not have Sugawara's locking mechanism which was built into the final product. I think it would be difficult to construct the locking mechanism in wood.
The locking mechanism would be difficult to construct in wood. I have Prison Box new in sealed package ( photos available on request) , What would be a fair asking price? I have seen open ones sell between 120.00-277.00 dollars on e bay, this is new and sealed. Would be open for trades as well.
This is a great effect.
Thanks twocan.

@Marvelous I think prices are coming down. One was sold on ebay on 10th May for £40.95 ($68). Seller yellowewan123
Yes Prison Box is great, that is why I kept bought and kept two sealed for a rainy day. I wouldn't even consider less than 150.00 for a sealed Prison Box, one just sold April 4th opened for 165.00 , seller fantasma-collectibles, and there is one listed from the UK now for GBP 105, U.S. 175.76, used with photocopied instructions seller themagictrickshop,

but I am mostly looking to trade as I have two new and sealed Prison Boxes and am looking to trade or maybe sell one of them for Birdwatcher, Bioshock, Credit Slasher, Puzzling Queen, Mystery China Box, Mini Morphosis or various Magic Works tricks, your items can even be opened but in good working order. Or other Tenyo tricks just ask. I also have a sealed President's Cabinet and sealed Origami Tube, both U.S. versions. Photos available.
If your Tenyo or Magic Works tricks are opened it might take more than one Tenyo trick or a little cash to off set the difference considering minde are sealed.
Pm with a reasonable offer and we can proceed.
I have one for sale- prison box never used, but opened top to have a look. I live in England UK, bought it from Angelo a few years ago.
I have one £80. never used.
I know of a gentleman who is looking to sell his very cheap. It has been opened but he has used it very little. PM if you are interested.
Still got my new prison box / new mobile illusion/ wonder window, just going to get some idea of prices.