(Close Window)
Topic: NEW BRIEFCASE TABLE!
Hay Guys,
Here is a new briefcase table that just arrived at Murphy’s Magic Supplies. This is a heavy duty table case that was specifically made for magicians. This will last you a lifetime. There is even a velvet bag for the base (which can fit in the case) to keep it looking like new forever. It has all the bells and whistles. Please contact your favorite dealer for more details.

Patrick

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=48150
Well this case actually leaves a lot to be desired especially for the price. I picked it up on sale at a different dealer at about half price.

The best feature is the oversize flange screwed onto the bottom of the case. Since the case body is basically plastic the center leg would punch right through it if not for this flange. A larger rectangle of wood or steel riveted in place would have been a better solution.

Thumb screws that hold the table to desired hight are small metal affairs and even when twisted in don't hold the top securely. The top will swivel easily.

The feet have to be spread to the maximum limit with the center column sitting (or almost sitting) on the floor to get maximum stability to keep the thing from tipping over if you lean against one side or open the top and the wind catches it (if used out doors).

If you carried the leg/feet in their bag inside the case as recommended you will loose significant prop carry space. Plus there is no way to secure them from bouncing around and potentially damaging your props. You will need to drill holes in the bottom side of the case and affix belts (Velcro or whatever) to hold the legs outside the case. Or if you insist on carrying the leg in the case the belts can be mounted inside to secure them in place.

The Screw heads inside the case are not flush, nor are they covered. They will scratch or damage your props. Right away you will want to cover these screw heads. I don't know why round head screws/bolts weren't used.

The case is shallow (3.5" outside dimension). A standard Don Allen Chop Cup will not fit inside nor will Gazzo Street cups (Babes) fit. However, A set of R&T II Paul Fox cups and Johnson cups will fit just fine. Baseball final loads will fit inside the case just fine too but nothing larger.

You will pretty much have to cut down most standard close-up pads if you want to put a pad on this. It is a hard,textured, plastic surface. You may just want to simply glue a layer of thick felt or wool cut to size for the top.

This is an OK piece as a base to start to customize for your act. Foam board dividers cut to size and held in place with duct tape will work fine and give you the flexibility to change over time.

I'd give this a 6 or 7 out of 10. A good place to start but requiring several modifications to actually make it a worker.

Remember this is only my opinion.
Thanks for taking one for the team, Harry. :)
This is a prop that needs to be built for people who use it. If this was something that was sold by The Ambitious Card then I have every confidence that it would be made right. Based on my reading of the review I definitely wouldn't buy it.
Thanks Harry.
WOW! That's expensive for a tool/briefcase, a flange, and the bottom of a cymbal stand.
I made my own:

http://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x342/SVMystery34/MagicBoxTable/

A "I no longer use this computer repair case", a microphone stand (no modification so it still works as a mic stand when needed) and less than ten bucks worth of parts.
Nice job and looks functional too!
Well done, it looks great!
Great job Captain Hook. You should put these on the market. Bet there would be a lot of interest.
Message: Posted by: sacramentohypnosis (Apr 23, 2012 04:59PM)
I bought one of these off ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARRY-CASE-TABLE-STAGE-MAGIC-TRICK-GREAT-MAGICIAN-PROP-NEW-BUT-SELLING-USED-/230775929085?pt=UK_Collectables_MagicTricks_RL&hash=item35bb5138fd

(Worked out a little over $100)

I had it shipped to a family member in UK and picked it up whilst on Holiday.

It has served me well for a good while now!

BUt you could make one by getting a tool case, a camera tripod with a screwthread top,

then get a metal worker to make a metal plate that screws onto top of the tripod thus giving a flat service to help support underside of the case.

The case bottom has a hole in and slots onto top of the tripod screwthread bit and is then held in place inside the case by a disc which screws onto top of the thread.

Nice bit of kit at the right price and saved me messing about making one!
Tom Krzystof teaches how to make cases like these on his DVD "Go Pro Tables, Cases and Gear."
This is interesting and may be useful in certain situations. I use it as a stand for a large birdcage.
http://www.coleman.com/product/high-stand/2191A700?contextCategory=27400

What I like about it is :
4 feet on the ground and 4 supports for the briefcase or board. No wobble.
It's adjustable. Folds. Cheap $19.99 from Coleman. May be cheaper in discount stores (Walmart?)
Cons:
The briefcase is placed on the 4 supports and not bolted on. With 4 supports, that may not be an issue.
The price too high for what you get!!
I have gotten this but don't find it durable. The clip was broken after a while. Can't seem to find a replacement clip and I threw it away as I was having space constrain in my house (too many props and tables). Sigh....

[quote]
On 2012-04-10 11:44, paw wrote:
Hay Guys,
Here is a new briefcase table that just arrived at Murphy’s Magic Supplies. This is a heavy duty table case that was specifically made for magicians. This will last you a lifetime. There is even a velvet bag for the base (which can fit in the case) to keep it looking like new forever. It has all the bells and whistles. Please contact your favorite dealer for more details.

Patrick

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=48150
[/quote]
Bill Abbott's table is very very nice
The idea of a performing surface on top of the place you go to get your stuff never seems like a good idea to me.
I agree with Frank. Unless you were just using it as a side table, it doesn't make sense to use a briefcase-type table unless you were going to work from an open case.
I saw a nice wooded briefcase table once and still regret not buying it because I have not seen one like it since.
I've made dozens of useful tables for my act. Some were themed for renfairs, others for regular night club work. A nice microphone stand with a soldered-on flange adapter works very well for stability and appearance. Obviously, this is not suitable for renfairs, though.

However, for general performing, it works well. Just make sure it doesn't look like a junky metal briefcase on top of a cymbal stand. Cymbal stands look like erector sets, and don't look professional at all.

Just my two cents.
I use a briefcase in my act and I take the simple route. I bring in or use a table already at the venue and set my briefcase on top of it.
It is set off to the side.
I have a small light-weight harbin table that I use as my only real performing surface and that is out front with me.

Using an actual table with the briefcase allows me to keep the lid open and use the small bits of room around the edges to set things down if I feel like it.

I guess a product like this makes sense if you're never going to use it as a performing surface but I woudln't use it for both.

On the other hand, I've watched Chris Capehart use a nice version of this set-up, where he was getting props in and out of it, plus using it as a small performing surface, and it seemed to give him joy.
I had this before. Don't last.
I've been looking for a good briefcase table, but from what I've read here, and what two friends have told me, this one is junk.

Does anyone actually make a professional one, one that's built to last, with the performer in mind? Everyone talks about building their own, are there really no good options out there?

Thanks for your great, honest review Harry. Patrick I assume you're with Murphy's?

Thanks,
Kevin
I'm with Frank on this, moreover while travelling to performing venues these kind of tables are more of a menace than help. Best Wishes, Raj.