(Close Window)
Topic: The Dark Dawn Tarot...is here
And shipping!
Looks Great!

Gotta picture of the backs laid out?

Gary
Backs. Yes they are one way :bat:

[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8958/tttddd001.jpg[/img]
Nice job, they definitely look like they will allow a multitude of story presentations along with some creepy readings
[quote]
On 2012-04-27 17:16, Roth wrote:
Backs. Yes they are one way :bat:

[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8958/tttddd001.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Thanks for extra photo!
Oh goody, I cant wait to show my neighbor my latest find.......she already thinks I am the devil's minion
Bravo Mr Stolz!
They look gorgeous!
Beautiful

~*~
Gorgeous!
Excellent!! :)
[quote]
On 2012-04-27 18:50, RCP wrote:
Oh goody, I cant wait to show my neighbor my latest find.......she already thinks I am the devil's minion
[/quote]

Wait, I'm confused. I thought you were the devil's minion.

And Rick, et al-
When is Outlaw gonna put out a full deck?
I do not think Cody would survive the production of a complete deck!
Splendid!!! Can't wait till mine get here!! :)
[quote]
On 2012-04-27 22:01, necroloid wrote:
[/quote]

Ah, but now we know his weak point... his collection. I say we break into his house, take all his props and hold them for ransom until he produces it. Yep, that's the plan. I see no flaw here.
[quote]
On 2012-04-27 22:57, MissMage wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-04-27 22:01, necroloid wrote:
[/quote]

Ah, but now we know his weak point... his collection. I say we break into his house, take all his props and hold them for ransom until he produces it. Yep, that's the plan. I see no flaw here.
[/quote]

Touch one of them, I dare you.
I would like to add a new Rapping hand to my collection lol.
[quote]
On 2012-04-27 23:11, Stoltz wrote:

[/quote]

Ooh, feisty. Nice.
[quote]
On 2012-04-27 23:14, MissMage wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Ooh, feisty. Nice.
[/quote]

But you're more than welcome to come visit anytime and give it a try.
[quote]
On 2012-04-27 23:24, Stoltz wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-04-27 23:14, MissMage wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Ooh, feisty. Nice.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh, you guys are just tooooo funny. . .:lol:
[quote]

[/quote]

And,she looks like 'Jessica Rabbit' too...
[quote]
On 2012-04-28 00:08, Godzilla wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well. Only when I'm holding a microphone.
Congratulations :)
[quote]
On 2012-04-28 00:08, Godzilla wrote:

[/quote]

Lol Gary! I thought we already discussed this!!
Just noticed this has jumped from a 100 set limited run to a 150 set limited run(I have noticed this with a few other outlaw items in the past). Personally, I do not care(I collect O.E. because of the quality not because I want a certain number of a limited effect) but some might consider this a bit of "bait and switch".
Necro, while that is a fair point, I think that for most buyers, quality, craftsmanship and maybe cost factors are a lot more important to buyers than the rarity of an item. So I don't think its that big an issue really.

Though I am like you, and I don't really care about limited numbers of items. If anyone thinks differently Im sure they will voice their opinions soon.
[quote]
On 2012-04-28 12:38, Mind illusionist wrote:
Necro, while that is a fair point, I think that for most buyers, quality, craftsmanship and maybe cost factors are a lot more important to buyers than the rarity of an item. So I don't think its that big an issue really.

[/quote]
True enough.
When the production numbers jumped for the SM, I was the first one to state that Rick should just make as many as he wants or needs to sell to make a living. I personally do not believe he is running a "bait and switch", But I am sure that there are those that will be upset that there limited edition is a little less limited.
I do, however, think that if you are going to limit something, you should put a firm number, or none at all. I respect Prof BC's decision to stay firm with his decision to limit his production runs.
After all the blood, sweat and tears for almost 4 months, near death illness and unforseen technical issues, we felt with all that time and effort to make this deck happen the DDT deserved to be seen and owned by at least a mere 150 of the over 2,500 outlaw customers we have.
Less than 10% will have that opportunity.

I was advised early on not to make DDT a limited edition, it will sell for years and years I was told, which is true, but I did make it a limited edition.

Such a small release in the world of tarot cards, for such a wonderful original deck.

I raised the release number well before the deck was finished, in stock or even started shipping.

A very small amount of that number were pre-sold, about 12% of the run, leaving 88% of the buyers to decide if they want one of only 150 units, and the pre-orders getting very very low Certificate numbers .

Making the decision to raise the run before it started shipping was a decision to benefit outlaw customers that want a special product and may not have had the chance to acquire it with a lower number made.

Thanks Guys!

One day they will say "Ï wish there were more DDT available!" and there won't be :)
[quote]
On 2012-04-28 14:30, Roth wrote:
Such a small release in the world of tarot cards, for such a wonderful original deck. [/quote]

My feelings exactly. 150 is nothing when it comes to Tarot decks. Imagine if there were only 150 Rider Waite decks!
Jorey, is correct on this!
I am a collector...but,if you are a true collector,you really would not be purchasing an item to use! You buy it,put it up,and leave it untouched as much as possible!
Rick,did the right thing on this! :) He could have put a limit of 50. Then after the 50 was gone,made another 50 with a slight change in the color of backs,or some other slight change. It still would have only been 50 of each! And,so on! Outlaw just came out and said 150 of the DDT.
That is a better straight forward approach!
[quote]
On 2012-04-28 14:53, afinemesh wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-04-28 14:30, Roth wrote:
Such a small release in the world of tarot cards, for such a wonderful original deck. [/quote]

My feelings exactly. 150 is nothing when it comes to Tarot decks. Imagine if there were only 150 Rider Waite decks!
[/quote]

Agreed with Jorey. 150 in the entire planet is already an extremely rare item.
Well, I am certainly glad that everyone cares as little as I do about "limited editions". After spending 15 years in toy/hobby industry, where people would scream like a banshee over the issue, I was expecting more of a backlash. I am so happy to be proven wrong. Personally, I am happy the run was increased. As many here know I am a bit strapped at the moment, so now I have a bit more time to wait to order.
Congratulations Rick and Cody. They look beautiful. I'm so looking forward to receiving mine.
Has anyone received the DDT...Yet ?
I got mine... Does that count? lol
[quote]
On 2012-05-03 15:23, Godzilla wrote:
Has anyone received the DDT...Yet ?
[/quote]

Yes!
[quote]
On 2012-05-03 15:25, Stoltz wrote:
[/quote]

Are they nicer than what you thought,when you ordered ?
[quote]
On 2012-05-03 15:48, Godzilla wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-05-03 15:25, Stoltz wrote:
[/quote]

Are they nicer than what you thought,when you ordered ?
[/quote]

You think I don't know a trick question when I hear one? lol
They here
Initial impressions review posted in the [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=465037&forum=14&3]"Tarot of the Dark Dawn Spotted in the Wild"[/url] thread.
I received mine today and they are waaaaaaay nicer than the photos. These are a thing of beauty. My hat's off to Cody and Rick on this one. . .brilliant!!
OK, so what do they do? I kid, I kid
If you have ever seen or held cards from the 1800’s then you know what these feel like. They are more faded (aged) then some of the photos here.
They fit in your Hobbs box or the Spiritus, they belong there!
They are a little big for Scott Grossberg’s casting cloth although the color and feel are a perfect match.
WA is a given.
I will post again when I have had time to study them and reflect……..
[quote]
WA is a given.
[/quote]

So, you'll use these with the WA?
Thanks guys.
More will be hitting mailboxes all over in the next few days. We took the boxes down for now because we found the cost of shipping a box (can't get those dang boxes in an envelope) in a box was so expensive that we would of had to raise the price about 50% and didn't want to do that.

The deck and little box shipped Int. priority is $38.00!! Curse the P.O.!

They can be purchased if you email me, but the cost, especially Int. is going way up.

Those that have them on order will be receiving their boxes.

Thanks!
I have the Alchemy Moon box. It's awesome! I'll post some photos once I receive the cards.
Glad to know the boxes will still be available.I would like to get one in the future for sure.
It would be hard to improve on this review
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=465037&forum=14&5
But I’ll add a couple of observations.
Will I use it with WA? You could, I am not a WA expert….there are probably better props? The feel and look is certainly workable.
What is the age of these cards? My impression is they were made sometime in the 1800’s??? I am not an expert but some subtitles make an earlier dating difficult. Perhaps these are Luna Rose’s cards or marketed by Hobbs in the 1930’s.
They have werks accessible from the front or back on the days your intuition may be lacking.
If you like dolls there are some options here.
There old but in good condition!
Collector or performer will appreciate them.
It was a hard choice for me back when I placed my order: Karl's or Chris's? You can't go wrong with either. Both these gifted artists have made superb crafted items for me, so I struggled with the decision. I will be getting my DD & Karl box in the next wave. It's always a moment of bliss when the time comes to actually get them in your hands. Pictures never convey the full excellence of Out***s creations.
Well gang, I've been handling these for a day or so now and still can't get over how nice the look! The size and weight of these cards make them easy to handle, and the "mini scenes" on each card make these a truly unique and special deck.

Really great job Outlaw and Cody!
After seeing these in the flesh I can safely say these cards are stunning. The art work is fantastic, they look circa 1920-1930's (correct me if I'm wrong) Every card draws you in, looking for the little details, my personal favourite is the "Lovers" card, brilliant!

Oh and the smell.............

Awesome

Brilliant deck, I wouldnt be surprised if these sell out over the next few days.
Arghh!! getting impatient waiting for mine as I read all of you guys lovely reviews!

*** you Australia Post!! lol
Watching for the mailman . . . .
Today my set along with Karl's box found its way to me. I'm so glad that these are now in my hands. You will want to set a good amount of time aside to allow yourself to closely examine and enjoy all the wonderful artwork on each DDT card. Love the size that Roth & Cody decided upon, these feel great in my large claws. The faded and worn aging on these cards make it quite special. I also appreciate the thickness of the paper they used. I am actually tempted to order an additional set that I would use in a framed collage board. I think a display of these on my wall would be a great way to display all this beautiful art. In regards to the box, it was such a good move. I cannot stress enough, that no matter what future shipping costs will be, it will be soooo worth it! The DDT Box is incredible and makes the pairing of both perfect. I should also mention that the card back design compliments the whole DDT creation. Superb job guys!

CHRIS
Just got my DDT today - and wow, these are definitely going to go fast! The artwork is stunning, and like a good wine they are aged to perfection. The faint orangy smell is very unusual, but cool, and like no other aged prop. The included bag is well made and looks great with the cards. Others have mentioned the thickness of the cards, but you really have to have these in your hands to appreciate how heavy they are. They look like they came right out of a musty old trunk in the family attic.

I haven't popped for a box yet (waiting on a Luna Key Box at the moment), but I can see one in my future. At least I think so - wait, let me do a quick reading. . .

Great job Rick and Cody! Guys, get these while you can!

Paul
Received mine also. I'm impressed. As mentioned, the stock needs to be handled to be appreciated, and the aging is spot on. Also liked the fact that there were no 'instructions' with the deck (for the backs)- seems like they were saying "if you can't discover our secrets you don't deserve us!" :)

p.s. - box was worth it!
My DDT arrived today!
Great job...Cody & Rick!
If you read my post on TH1 thread,a little hand written note also came with them...
"Ritual completed,at the Darkest Hour,When the Moon Shone Brightest,Tarot of the Dawn of Dark."

The Karl,DDT Box is Awesome! If you can get,it does compliment DDT! :)
Right on, Gary!! :)
Alchemy Moon box.
Dark Dawn Tarot bag in Alchemy Moon box.
Dark Dawn Tarot in Alchemy Moon box.
Dark Dawn Tarot and bag.
Dark Dawn Tarot.
Dark Dawn Tarot backs and Alchemy Moon box.
Sorry for all the pics. You probably deduced that my cards have landed safely in the UK. Very pleased with them. Nice and heavy stock as others have commented. I wasn't familiar with the m***ing system, but Rick spilled the beans and the system couldn't be easier to grasp. The bag that comes with the cards is also great. I received the box a while back, and it's nice to see that the cards including the bag fit nice and snuggly inside. I can hardly wait to use these with my DarkSpell. Awesome job Rick and Cody!
[quote]
On 2012-05-14 16:45, minty wrote:
Sorry for all the pics.
[/quote]
Never apologize for posting pictures ... they whet the appetite of those of us who don't have a deck.
Thanks for the pictures, minty.

It has made me a buyer. :)
Posting pics is always good.
Awesome. The thicker stock matches the bigger size.

Each card has a different pastel color for the background. They look great on a table together. Old and faded.

Every card tells a story. Sometimes scary, sometimes funny, depending on the depth of intuition and sense of humor.
DDT finally reached the shores of Western Aus. It is everything that everyone has alraedy stated above, and probably more.

The smell of the cards themselves is quite acidic and makes you turn up your nose. At least mine smell that way anyway.

The colours and artwork are nicely faded. Perhaps maybe a tiny bit too much on some, so that the images are quite blurred sometimes, but this adds to the authenticity of how old the cards are I guess.

I am very happy with this set and proud to own #6

Great job Cody and Rick!
Today I paired my Dark Dawn Tarot with DarkSpell. A match made in...
They work great together.
Yes they do! Here is my set, with talking board:

[img]http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q597/bedford11/IMG_1890.jpg[/img]
Love your medallion and the way you framed up the talking board Beford. beautiful stuff
Thanks!
Nice pic! Love the medallion.
I just recieved my Dark Dawn Tarot Deck today. These are beautiful. They not only look old & spooky but they feel old and even have a faint musty smell that makes them seem ancient. These tarot decks are a work of art & a limited edition. I have a prediction. One day you'll regret you didn't get these when they were available. ;-)
Just received mine today. Look and smell great. The bag is nice too. Definitely a high quality item.
Is this deck marked?
Check them out on the Outlaw website. I t will tell you there:

http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/golden-gun/the-dark-dawn-tarot.html
"they are marked"

my bad. Thanks.
Message: Posted by: revenantproductions (Jun 15, 2012 03:08PM)
What Brilliant Evil Lies Within The Minds of Outlaw Effects!

We just received our Dark Dawn Tarot last night and can only say that it is truly a work of art. Cody is a miracle worker and the imagery on the cards is stunning. The weight, look and feel of these cards are perfect and they indeed look as though they have been passed down from a time long past.

As for the werks? All that needs to be said is that they are crafted for ease of use for the performer and invisibility of purpose to the uninitiated.

Thank you once more to Rick, Cody and all at Outlaw for all that you do. The Dark Dawn Tarot is just another example of quality effects that are produced by true artisans of the our craft.

Best,
RP
First thing this morning DDT arrived... Can't stop mixing them up and predicting the face...
My set arrived in the UK last week. For me these are the best Tarot cards Outlaw have ever done. Really original artwork coupled with superb hand finishing to age the cards. Totally impressed - great job by Rick and Cody.
Pop quiz: how many times does Death make an appearance?
how many outlaw effects are represented?
what does the signature mean which is found on each card?
Recieved last week the DDT. First impression: This is the real thing. It feels and looks like a old a master piece in your hands.
The art work is special and great for story telling.
I own several Tarot Decks but this one is a killer. I think I'm gonna use this one for my future readings!

Thx Rick and Cody!
I'm proud to be a Canadian with maybe one exception. Sometimes our postal service can be sooooo slooooowwww.

I'd ordered my DDT quite a while ago and started reading the rave reviews from you guys shortly after that. YOU had YOUR cards and apparently mine were somewhere on the back of a husky dog in the Arctic.

They came today, though.

My, my -- Rick and Cody. You guys really outdid yourselves on these babies. Opening the box, there is that patented WTF? Outlaw scent. I'm thinkin' furniture polish on a coffin...but that's probably just me. I open the box...I open the bag...I take off the elastics and start looking at these cards.

One at a time.

Tarot decks can really be works of art...and this one is certainly that. But there's an extra something. I'm not sure what that something is...but it's there in every single image. It's mysterious...sorta spooky...but utterly captivating. I spent nearly an hour looking at those cards one by one. The subtleties and nuances in the drawings simply demand your attention.

They look old and you have to wonder where they were before they showed up in my hands...

That they were designed by performers FOR performers shows true in the way they've been made. The m*rkings are going to be easy to see in low light situations -- an increasingly important consideration for these aging eyes.

But the real remarkable thing is that you just want to hold them...use them. The thickness and odd feel of these cards makes them unique. (And the Hermit looks suspiciously like a certain Outlaw guy-pal-of-mine... :) ...the one with shifty eyes.)

It's another home run for Outlaw as far as I'm concerned.

Will they replace my second favorite Outlaw prop of all time (that second thing being the utterly outstandingly devastating Carnie Tarot) and squirm their way into my shows? Not sure. I love the Carnie and am totally used to it. But maybe there's a second effect in there with this set.

I'm not sure...but in either case...I'm glad I own my own DDT. Lovely creepy wonderful stuff.

David
Just want to say......... A BIG thanks to Rick and Cody for producing this fine deck!i know there was lots of hype about this deck but they are superb in every way!
Another QUALITY item to add to my ever growing outlaw effects!!
[quote]
On 2012-06-26 18:20, goshawk wrote:
Just want to say......... A BIG thanks to Rick and Cody for producing this fine deck!i know there was lots of hype about this deck but they are superb in every way!
Another QUALITY item to add to my ever growing outlaw effects!!
[/quote]

Ditto. They are very clever chappies.
Just received my DDT last week and took some time to look at them yesterday night, putting some of the cards side by side, forming stories in my head. There are thousands of stories to be told, and I can't wait to start telling them.

I only realised that these cards are marked until I saw the instructions. Big bonus, the markings are so easy to read.
[quote]
On 2012-06-26 21:28, piyuyu wrote:

I only realised that these cards are marked until I saw the instructions. Big bonus, the markings are so easy to read.
[/quote]

instructions?? is this a recent addition for DDT? Cause mine never came with any instructions :(
We want to thank all you guys for the wonderful feedback!! There are no "formal" instructions with the DDT. I do email buyers with how to read the M***ings :) and sometimes refer them to their Carnie decks.
I didn't think there was inst***tions with the *DT!
R**k,can you send me some inst***tions on how to read the *arnie cards,so I know how to do *A,and the *DT? :)
And,are both the *arnie Decks ****ed? lol

Just, Ki**ing...
Alternative Comedy I guess.
Ohh Gary, you should do stand up mate! ;)
Okaayyyy... my Dark Dawn Tarot came in today and inspired my first post here ever! Simply put, it's fantastic! The faces of the cards are beautiful - they colours are perfect and the images and contain a lot more symbolism than I expected. The backs are really very authentic-looking and the little something extra isn't apparent until it is, then it's as easy as pie. ;) This is my fourth Outlaw product and is immediately upon receipt tied with The Teller for my fave.

Thanks Rick and Cody. :)
[quote]
On 2012-06-27 04:53, Mind illusionist wrote:
Ohh Gary, you should do stand up mate! ;)
[/quote]

Gary IS pretty funny, isn't he. . .?
[quote]
On 2012-06-29 20:09, Ragged Robin wrote:
Okaayyyy... my Dark Dawn Tarot came in today and inspired my first post here ever! Simply put, it's fantastic! The faces of the cards are beautiful - the colours are perfect and the images contain a lot more symbolism than I expected. The backs are really very authentic-looking and the little something extra isn't apparent until it is, then it's as easy as pie. ;) This is my fourth Outlaw product and is immediately upon receipt tied with The Teller for my fave.

Thanks Rick and Cody. :)
[/quote]
Thank you S.L.! I thought I recognized your name :)
These cards... In S1 S73881NS order using my mnemonic, together with a N0X ARCANA Soundtrack has just upped my game... Thanks.

If anyone is interested we could discuss this downstairs...
Like the others, I'm really admiring my new set of Dark Dawn tarots. They actually present a little bit of a dilemma for me - I don't know if I should actually put them into the act, or frame them as works of art. I would venture to say that I believe these are a collectable item in the making. In my opinion, a rock solid investment.

Can't stop fidgeting with them. Well done Outlaw!
[quote]
On 2012-06-30 01:15, Tim Dowd wrote:
These cards... In S1 S73881NS order using my mnemonic, together with a N0X ARCANA Soundtrack has just upped my game... Thanks.

[/quote]

I'm game!
[quote]
On 2012-07-02 22:52, Pizpor wrote:
Like the others, I'm really admiring my new set of Dark Dawn tarots. They actually present a little bit of a dilemma for me - I don't know if I should actually put them into the act, or frame them as works of art. I would venture to say that I believe these are a collectable item in the making. In my opinion, a rock solid investment.

Can't stop fidgeting with them. Well done Outlaw!
[/quote]
Thank you! We're so glad you like them :)
[quote]
On 2012-07-03 00:42, afinemesh wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I'm game!
[/quote]

Done http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=472355&forum=221#0
[quote]
On 2012-07-04 04:20, Tim Dowd wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-07-03 00:42, afinemesh wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I'm game!
[/quote]

Done http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=472355&forum=221#0
[/quote]

Hi Tim,
I would love to discuss methods further using the DDT and other outlaw products...when I click on link it does not allow me to view. Can you tell me how to gain access?
Thanks
Alan
Goshawk,you have to have 50 post to enter the crypt!

Your screen name,are you into Falconry ?

Gary
[quote]
On 2012-07-21 22:11, Godzilla wrote:
Goshawk,you have to have 50 post to enter the crypt!

Your screen name,are you into Falconry ?

Gary
[/quote]

Thanks Gary, another post done..32 to go! LOL.
Yes..at the moment birdless, having a season off. Had a few gosses in my time :)
Alan
Not trying to derail...

LOL
Love the birds of prey! I know the guys that made 'Hawking the Gos',you may have that DVD.

Get your 50 in,and some of the topics you will enjoy in the crypt! Don't get to excited,there is a lot of great stuff up here in 'Spooky'!

Gary
Dark Dawn Tarot

The deck, based on the numbering would have been printed between 1909, and perhaps up into the 50's (based on paper choices and aging). 'dating' this deck to the 1800's could be a disaster should you find an audience member 'up' on their Tarot history.

The images reflect that Cody Stoltz knows more about Tarot than most luminaries in the field (Temperance contains a clue that most pro readers miss). Truly great stuff.

Now if only we could convince Rick for a marked Dodal…
Temperance - for me, you just dodged, or about to dodge, a bullet

Pm with your clue scathmadre if it is different. thx.
First off, let me repeat, Cody rocks.

Look at the image of Temperance.

Think about #'s 13 & 15. Who are they?

Now look at #14 again. Way mondo cool.
Take a look at card 13, 14 and then look at card 6.

What stories do they share?

I love this. :)
[quote]
On 2012-09-14 16:15, scathmadre wrote:
First off, let me repeat, Cody rocks.
[/quote]

Indeed. I can't speak highly enough of the Dark Dawn Tarot. I even ended up purchasing a second set.

Rick and Cody did a great job.
Message: Posted by: Michael_MacDonald (Sep 17, 2012 02:14AM)
Grrr I had an issue with my paypal account so until I can sort it out I can not buy any new toys. this sucks .....im going through withdrawals here.
DDT is amazing! Just got mine and am in awe of their beauty. Seriously considering a second set for framing.
I couldn't decide between Dark Dawn and Carnie, so I got them both, and I'm very glad indeed that I did.
I remembered the 1st time I used DDT, even before the querent turn the card, he was already feeling goosebump and contemplating whether to turn the card over or not. He did in the end, and it answered his question without me really having to explain the card.

I'm still hoping that Cody will release a minor arcana version. :)
[quote]
On 2013-04-17 22:28, piyuyu wrote:
I remembered the 1st time I used DDT, even before the querent turn the card, he was already feeling goosebump and contemplating whether to turn the card over or not. He did in the end, and it answered his question without me really having to explain the card.

I'm still hoping that Cody will release a minor arcana version. :)
[/quote]

Ive havent used DDT for readings yet, but this will certainly help inspire me to do so!
Would people recommend this over all other Tarot decks (like the Carny etc.) for regular use: or is it more of a 'special' deck for occaisional or select use?
I would say this can be used for any occasion you would need or would normally want to use a major aracana tarot. Though, if you felt you loved the DDT so much and wanted its beauty only to be shared at select times and occasion, you could do that also...

Its not exactly delicate or glass like fragile, if that's what you were asking about constant use?

M.I.
I use a full deck of tarot for the 'regular' reading for my clients. Then, if there is some important question that yet needs to be answered after the regular reading I might pull out the DDT and do a one or two card pull. The deck oozes seriousness and power and, as noted above, people get this the minute you put it in their hands, so I save it for special occasions.
Just received mine on Saturday. Man, that was fast. Thanks, Rick!

Love the idea for the m**kings. Off to the crypt to check out Mr. Dowd's contributions. Thank you as well! :bg:
The cards and the aging is beautiful, but the card 14 is weird. In Roman numerical 14 is XIV not XIIII! :(

I found something interesting on the edges of the cards. Its seems very useful...
[quote]
On 2013-08-28 15:48, numizmata wrote:

I found something interesting on the edges of the cards. Its seems very useful...
[/quote]

I,thought they did have a strange taste! :)

Can you share a little more,about your edge find,if it does not make a total reveal ?

~G
The cutting tool or something else made a classic marking on my pack...
Thanks,numizmata!

I did have a ritual performed on my set,when the moon was at it's brightest! Posted on another thread!

I pulled out my set,and did a study of the edges.
The only thing I could find,was on the Death edge,it kind of looks like Rick's,paypal address! :)
I ordered these lovely things just last night along with another, larger, even more wonderful item. I can't wait to get my hands on both, hopefully in time for Halloween, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait no matter what.
Here is what about I said.

[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/2mxg8ki.jpg[/img]
Using 'XIIII' instead of 'XIV' is, as far as I can tell, an old tradition dating back to the Marseilles Tarot and either has to do with cardmakers not being familiar with roman numerals or the fact that card XIII (Death) is typically unnumbered. Not entirely sure.

That marking on the side is a tiny chip in the blade when the deck was cut. The guillotine-style blades are sharp and sensitive enough to cut a single sheet of paper but they're very thin. You can also see those marks on paperback books. Fine grain sandpaper could smooth it out.

Darrin...
Developer, The Carnie Tarot
Thanks you for the informations DarrinOC.
I love the marking on my card, its very handy for me!
I could see how this could be EXTREMELY useful. Good notice numizmata. I have to check mine out and see if they are similar.
I could see how this could be very useful. Good notice numizmata. I have to check mine out and see if they are similar.
It doesn't happen often as we change out the blade whenever it dulls or we notice a chip. You can probably make your own mark by scratching a screw or nail along the edge at a similar angle. I'd suggest practicing on a stack of index cards before you work on the real deck.

Darrin...
My Dark Dawn Tarot appeared on my doorstep yesterday. In fiendish glee I immediately went to remove them from their envelope and worn pouch, then thought better of it and took them inside, closing the door firmly and drawing the curtains tight. Something whispered in my ear that these cards don't care for the light, having spent such a very long time slumbering in the darkness of some forgotten drawer. They flourish in the shadows, and when you handle them they begin to awaken, the dark fortunes of unlucky souls who shall cross your path flashing through your mind's eye as you gaze on the finely drawn artwork and pass your fingertips over the worn surfaces. Even face down, they speak to you in subtle tones, revealing what fate lies on the other side. They are unsettling dark delights and if you should be so fortunate as to procure a deck of your own you will have no regrets.
You're,only part way there,if you did not get a,DDT Outlaw Box ! :)

Just kidding! Or,is He ? Mwha,ha.ha.ha
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 21:04, Mickturbo wrote:
My Dark Dawn Tarot appeared on my doorstep yesterday. In fiendish glee I immediately went to remove them from their envelope and worn pouch, then thought better of it and took them inside, closing the door firmly and drawing the curtains tight. Something whispered in my ear that these cards don't care for the light, having spent such a very long time slumbering in the darkness of some forgotten drawer. They flourish in the shadows, and when you handle them they begin to awaken, the dark fortunes of unlucky souls who shall cross your path flashing through your mind's eye as you gaze on the finely drawn artwork and pass your fingertips over the worn surfaces. Even face down, they speak to you in subtle tones, revealing what fate lies on the other side. They are unsettling dark delights and if you should be so fortunate as to procure a deck of your own you will have no regrets.
[/quote]

Yeah. What you said.
Have no fear, Godzilla, I've ordered something suitably extravagant that I hope will make a perfect home for the deck.
Mick,do share when you get! :) And,con-grats!
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 21:04, Mickturbo wrote:
My Dark Dawn Tarot appeared on my doorstep yesterday. In fiendish glee I immediately went to remove them from their envelope and worn pouch, then thought better of it and took them inside, closing the door firmly and drawing the curtains tight.
Something whispered in my ear that these cards don't care for the light, having spent such a very long time slumbering in the darkness of some forgotten drawer. They flourish in the shadows, and when you handle them they begin to awaken, the dark fortunes of unlucky souls who shall cross your path flashing through your mind's eye as you gaze on the finely drawn artwork and pass your fingertips over the worn surfaces.
Even face down, they speak to you in subtle tones, revealing what fate lies on the other side. They are unsettling dark delights and if you should be so fortunate as to procure a deck of your own you will have no regrets.
[/quote]
:bat:
[quote]
On 2013-08-29 10:38, DarrinOC wrote:
Using 'XIIII' instead of 'XIV' is, as far as I can tell, an old tradition dating back to the Marseilles Tarot and either has to do with cardmakers not being familiar with roman numerals or the fact that card XIII (Death) is typically unnumbered. Not entirely sure.

That marking on the side is a tiny chip in the blade when the deck was cut. The guillotine-style blades are sharp and sensitive enough to cut a single sheet of paper but they're very thin. You can also see those marks on paperback books. Fine grain sandpaper could smooth it out.

Darrin...
[/quote]

Subtractive Roman Numerals are more common in modern English speaking countries.

In Europe, for many centuries, the additive form of Roman Numerals was most common (and thus used in pre-1850’s Tarot, and Tarocchi decks.

However as soon as you use the additive form of Roman Numerals on a deck where Strength precedes Justice, you’ve created a historical anomaly that never existed in the real world.
Custom box I made for Dark Dawn Tarot. Tallisman and Veves were all chosen to ward off evil and protect the contents of the box from outside harm or influnce. Voodoo, Biblical and witchcraft are all represented. There will be 1 tallisman placed on top of the deck wrapped in cloth when the lid is closed and left unattended. This one remains unseen making it harder for an intruder to penetrate as they cannot see what magik is being used to protect the contents.

[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/zoopdog/DDTbox_zps7c1c6994.jpg[/img]

here is a cleaner one of the front. symbols are etched and burned into the wood
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/zoopdog/box2_zps0df25ea0.jpg[/img]

I want to try and make a similar one that is a corradin box design so the cards could actually appear and disappear.
That us an absolutely gorgeous receptacle. I've tried my hand at woodworking and box making a few times, but never achieved anything that beautiful!
That's a great box for an incredible deck!
AWESOME - VERY nicely done !! Inspires me to bust out the tools to do a few boxes & wood working for myself (instead of for my customers.....LoL) in the slower season this winter.

It looks like something that Dan or Rick would carry / sell :) Careful you might start getting requests for a few of those -

I do believe your DDT's feel very safe & at home :)
Thanks for the nice comments. The DDT decks are amazing and I wanted to have something special for it. I did not construct the box itself. I purchased it at a craft store for $5. They have plain unstained / unpainted boxes that normally have defects of some sort - mostly just cosmetic. I think the defects make it age better and they carry enough of the same type throughout the season to make as many as you wanted.
I love the Dark Dawn Tarot.

Christopher Gould at Alchemy Moon made me a wonderful box to keep them in. It has the design from the back of the cards incorporated on the top of the box. He did an awesome job. I don't think the boxes are officially available anymore, but it may be possible to commission a similar type of box if anyone fancies one.
$5 for the box is great find - what craft store would this be ? Would love to if it's a chain store & may have one or something like near me......
You did a great job staining etch / burned symbol's on it nicely.
Very nice. Thanks for sharing pics.
Very nice.
[quote]
On 2013-10-01 10:47, Merlinsmagic wrote:
$5 for the box is great find - what craft store would this be ? Would love to if it's a chain store & may have one or something like near me......
You did a great job staining etch / burned symbol's on it nicely.
[/quote]

Thanks. I usually look at Michaels for plain boxes. AC Moore would be another that would have things like that. I have not really checked out hobby lobby. If you get the "Michaels app" for you phone - all existing coupons and even bonus ones are on it and they will scan them off your phone at the register. Normally you will always find a 40% coupon in there and a lot of times 25% entire purchase coupons as well. If you own a business you can also get a resale account there (No tax since you are buying it to resell). Boxes are already cheap the one above was $5.99 - but once you use all the coupons etc they are even less. They also will sell metal corners and rivets etc. While you are there, they also sell all the krylon sprays you may want for making gimmicks.

also...The latches on most of the boxes are typically super lame. You will normally need to change that.
Thanx, was wondering if it was something from Michael's, great & thank you for the info will have to hit M's & AC's tomorrow :)
Agree about the latches though.....
I have this deck, but can not locate the instructions / performance manuel. Could one of my dark brothers help me out?
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jan 25, 2015 06:56AM)
I don't remember getting any information on the cards..... I just got the cards.

Ray
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 25, 2015 09:35AM)
[quote]On Jan 25, 2015, steven-gibson wrote:
I have this deck, but can not locate the instructions / performance manuel. Could one of my dark brothers help me out? [/quote]

Steve, PMed you.
Got it, thank you all! Thanks to TH1, Bedford, Pasteboard Alchemist, and Ray. If there is a dark dawn tarot owner out there that needs the directions, pm me your email address. I will send directions to you. It is brief and explain the works. Tell me how many candles on the high priestess card to verify ownership.
Bravo! Gorgeous work and easily passable as a worn deck of arcana from a time gone bye! I look forward to working them into a routine with a Hobbs Hand.
Good avatar uninvited. You are very welcome here in Spooky.
[quote]On Jul 2, 2012, Pizpor wrote:

Can't stop fidgeting with them. Well done Outlaw! [/quote]

Correct you were, collectable they are. You had great insight so maybe you should do readings.....
Does anyone remember what the Dark Dawn sold for? Thinking of selling mine and want to be fair.

Thanks.

John
[quote]On Feb 20, 2021, greerj wrote:
Does anyone remember what the Dark Dawn sold for? Thinking of selling mine and want to be fair.

Thanks.

John [/quote]

pm’d you
Back to the future !

Dark dawn : https://web.archive.org/web/20180307053926/http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/golden-gun/the-dark-dawn-tarot.html

La petite fleure : https://web.archive.org/web/20161219072545/http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-arsenal/specialities/le-petite-fluer-tarot.html
Let the buyer beware