(Close Window)
Topic: Apples for the Cups???
I'm sure many of you here make the regular trip to the grocery to purchase oranges for your cups. Of course the oranges must be the right size.
Lately it has been getting more difficult to find animal or cellini cup oranges cause the oranges seem to all be on steroids now. Too bloody big!

However I have no problem finding the right size apples. So.....
I was wondering if any of you lot have tried using apples as your finale. Was the response as good as oranges?? Did they hold up well????
I think that aples have a great mythologic backround : Adam and Eve, snow withe, Alan Turing, the Beatles, Steve Job (hommage to Turing)... just by memory...

Something great with aple for cups and balls is that you can bite in it to prove it real in a very natural and convincing maner !
I think they won't last as long as oranges. When you hit an apple they bruise easily.
Just a thought.

Regards
Myke
These days I use the Qualatex versions of the fruits and vegetables when I am not using other, less common objects as a final load. However, I found that potatoes (and to some extent, even tomatoes) get the best reactions. I have used real bell peppers (which I washed before) and then took a bite out of as I walked off stage. I see no reason apples would not work if the load is done right, and you take care not to let them bump all over the place so that they do not bruise.

For another funny final load using real fruit, if you can find them, use baby bananas. I have used these and have gotten the biggest reactions with them. For some reason, people find baby bananas funny!
I typically use a lime, lemon, and a clementine for my loads. I've also used apples, potato's, onions and a rubber eyeball (it's a call back to a joke early on in the show). I just go through the market and pick up what ever will fit. Nothing says it has to be oranges. Also, I go to an organic Co-op - the produce is, in general, smaller than that mutant stuff at the big chains.

The response is great no matter what comes out of the cup. I get about two days of use out of the fruit. more or less.
To quote Sachs: "A most startling and amusing conclusion to a display with the cups and balls is the introduction of large balls, potatoes, oranges, lemons, apples, &c., beneath the cups."

So they must have been used over 100 years ago!
Try it and see?
[quote]
On 2012-05-12 20:06, Andy_Bell wrote:
Try it and see?
[/quote]

Yep, I've got some apples and will try today. The suns finally out and I'm taking advantage. Let you lads know on my findings :)
Thanks all for the input.
If you don't end with bill in fruit, then you have all the choices in the world. If you do end with bill in fruit, well...you're kinda limited due to the nature of the effect.

I've ended with metalic object before, but I wasn't using metal cups. I wanted the final load so badly, that I ended up using different...uhh..."cups". Which then took my show in a whole new direction.

Point being, if you have a final load in mind, and really want to use it, then there's going to be a way to make it happen. Ya just gotta be ready to make vast changes to your show.

Pretty soon...you may even be doing something 100% totally original. Now, how would that grad ya?
Oh, and that's not directed towards anyone in particular. I've never seen anyone's show on this thread....just adding to the conversation and bringing up the idea of "how to spark original thoughts and creativity". Hope I didn't come off as attacking...chat forums being what they are and all.
Mark Wilson suggests three lemons or potatoes in your pants pocket. I have nothing but respect for Mark, but I can't help but think that's going to be really obvious. I've got yarn wrapped up into large ping-pong sized balls (I had to parse that sentence three times before I got something that didn't look like a straight line!) After making the little balls appear and re-appear the last load is the larger balls while I talk about how hard the balls are to see because they're so tiny!

The last thing I have is a fake lime in my back pocket. As I reveal the big balls, I sneak the lime into the cup and comment that after a routine like that, I want an ice cold Corona... (lift the stack of cups) and I already have the lime.
I use (when I use final loads) two artifical limes and an artificial lemon. No worries about fruit spoilage there.

I like the apples idea and the bananas sound hilarious.
Stperformer

You can buy organic organges they are smaller. Tom Franks has picture on his Facebook of Gazzo and he is using apples.
Audience don't care about the fruit... all they want is the rest... focus on the rest and any lemon will be great... fruit freaks
What the heck kind of question is this: is one fruit better than the other?

Go out and try it? You've been getting great reactions with oranges and people are telling you that they are getting good reactions with apples and they're easier to get. So you go out and use apples as loads and get a lukewarm reaction? Is it the apple's fault?

Do you now take a poll and find out if a Red Delicious gets a better reaction than a Granny Smith apple? Should we lean towards the Macintosh instead? How about the Gala apples?

And why doesn't anyone ever use a pear? What's wrong with pears?
Red is always better. Like with cards.

And Macintosh apples are too soft; I recommend Fuji's (Honeycrisp if you can get them).

On the pears -- they have to be loaded so that they are oriented properly -- with the large part on the bottom when revealed. This orientation issue makes them less desirable.

0pus
[quote]
On 2012-06-12 11:03, 0pus wrote:
.... This orientation issue makes them less desirable.

0pus
[/quote]

Sorry but you can't choose based on their orientation LOL

Apples did work fine, Granny Smiths are good and show up better during evening and are harder. However.......Oranges are orange, bright, recognizable, don't bruise so.....I'm using oranges again :)
Any fruit with a strong primary color that "pops" will work; and fits in your cup, of course.