(Close Window)
Topic: DAMAGE by Dave Forrest
I think this looks like a great T&R effect: http://youtu.be/osu8-Nwh1Kk
[quote]
On 2012-05-14 14:28, Phatmeat wrote:
[/quote]

Yes, but this seems so boring... What is the justification for this effect? Nothing. I prefer "Star", by the same creator.
Is there a justification for any T n R? I think this looks great. Looking forward to some reviews.
It does look great.
I love that it takes a second "try" to get all the damage out. Very fun!
[quote]
On 2012-05-14 14:44, doriancaudal wrote:
Yes, but this seems so boring... What is the justification for this effect? Nothing. I prefer "Star", by the same creator.
[/quote]

if I only had a penny for every time a spectator had stopped me and shouted "WHAT IS THE JUSTIFICATION FOR THIS EFFECT?"

I bought it, it's good, it's not necessarily the best thing I have purchased from Dave Forrest but it is very good and will I'm sure be a big hit when performed. The restoration is very, very nice. All really well produced and nicely made.
It's very different from STAR, can't really compare them. I put this as almost an impromptu style effect, one of those 'accident' things that work really well as part of a set. Like the disappearing box effect, not going to just perform that and walk off, this is a valuable asset to have.

The video talks about a couple of practical things, storage and prep which are really nice to see.

Not difficult to perform and you won't really need anything out of the ordinary, though you will need to be able to hold a deck of cards etc.

Shouldn't really need to be said but it's not hiding any nasty method cuts or anything, it plays as shown in the trailer. Very nice I say!
Looks nice I do love Dave Forrest's stuff.
I thought it looked great - boring ??
Can we get a demo without all the silly cuts and effects?
Damage is really clever, love the details he added to make it look as magical and real as possible.

It is easy to perform which makes it a real worker.

Kevin
Sticky, nothing is left out. You are basically seeing the full effect how the spectator would see it.
Damage is fantastic. A really great effect with a super convincing method that I'm looking forward to performing. If you like
T & R effects then get this, it's right up there with the best.
Reminds me of something Bernard Billis done years ago,but much better.

The fact they seem to still see their card ripped after the card is turned over and they clearly see their signature in a very open manner as the restore seems to happen is a powerful moment and done without a switch of any kind and can be handed out that instant is some very clever thinking in my opinion,not to mention how easy it is as well.

S
I love it!
Great work dave!!!

looks amazing

John
I got mine just today and seems like the coolest method out there. Great work Dave!

That being said, I would prefer to use it as an accident handled magically, if I understood what Olympic Adam said in the sense he meant. I tried it as a trick while performing for my mom. Something like how Hollingworth entered his Reformation routine by saying that the card is going to be torn and then fixed and all. My mom felt the fact that I held the deck in my hand as pretty suspicious. She asked me to put down the deck and then do the restoration bit. I din't know how exactly to counter that issue.

But when I performed it for my girlfriend, I made it look like I accidentally tore the card and she started giggling wildly saying it's ok and kissed me on the cheek to make me feel better about the apparent faux passe. Guys, you should have seen her reaction when she actually saw me restore the torn card right then and there in front of her eyes! That reaction is what made me confident that this would be a superb way of presenting it. And since it happens as an accident, she dint know what to expect as I started the restoration. The fact that it was clearly seen to be her signed card is what actually got her shocked.

I remember Mike Skinner doing a similar effect where he accidentally tears a card and then puts aside the torn card in his pocket and when the spectator chooses another card, it is found to be the same (signed?) card that was torn just moments ago.

Another instance where it hits the audience right behind their heads is where Copperfield performs his Deathsaw as an escape gone wrong and then righted by his magic.

Thanks a ton Dave Forrest for releasing this gem!

Matt
Looks really good! It does however look very similar to dan hauss's torn and restored card on his restless dvd. Not accusing anyone of any crazy stuff..just seeing a comparison.
Did dan and billi's get credit on the effect?

JM
Looks very similar to 'Torn Twisted and Restored' by Steve Leathwaite but not as good or anywhere near as convincing.
Take a look:

http://www.worldmagicshop.com/Torn_Twisted_and_Restored_DVD_by_Stephen_Leathwa_p/torntwistedrest.htm
So Damage is based on a trick of Dave's called Ripped & Repaired that came out maybe ten years ago. In that version, he tears the corner off a card staples it back on as a joke and then visually heals the card. I need to check out Restless (I do have it but can;t remember the T&R). But the visual heal is Dave's and is what really makes the effect.

Raymondo, I don't understand. Are you saying Stephen's is more convincing. I think Torn, Twisted and Restored is a cool trick but in no way more convincing than damage. It's a completely different effect, more akin to the Albo Card effect that Michael Ammar sells.
Hi Cameron,
Yes - I am saying that Torn Twisted & Restored is more convincing due to the fact that with this effect the bottom part of the card is completely torn off,signed, turned over, shown to be completely seperated then restored in front of the spectators eyes. With Damage from what I can see on the video trailer the card is only partly torn off then quickly restored without the card being lifted off the deck or shown in any other way. Only after the restoration is the card lifted from the deck and shown. For this reason I think it is far from convincing and lacks any real gravitas as a serious T&R effect (I need to own up here and admit to being a complete and total T&R effect junkie!). I also think David's extravagant claim of 'Damage is torn and restored card effect unlike any other' is just a little bit OTT - But hey what's new with a magician hyping his own creation ;-)
I wish him luck with it, but certainly not for me.
I respect your opinion. I personally don't agree that it's stronger. I think they are very different effects.

I also don't think that tearing a piece all the way off or not makes any difference in the world. A tear is a tear. The spectators can unquestionably see the card is torn. But, for my money, what sells Damage is the visual heal of the card. That is its major selling point. That's what makes it unlike any other T&R. Can you name another T&R where the card is visually healed like that?
BTW, you CAN remove the card from the deck and "heal" the card away from it. It does not have to stay on the deck. It is then immediately examinable.
Just watched Dan's T&R. Really nice effect! But the torn card convincer that Dan uses was indeed published by Dave eight years before Restless as Ripped & Repaired. Therefore Dave does get the credit. But I really like Dan's mis-made card idea for it. It's a nice touch.
[quote]
On 2012-08-16 20:38, Cameron Francis wrote:
Just watched Dan's T&R. Really nice effect! But the torn card convincer that Dan uses was indeed published by Dave eight years before Restless as Ripped & Repaired. Therefore Dave does get the credit. But I really like Dan's mis-made card idea for it. It's a nice touch.
[/quote]

Cool, thanks for checking on that cameron! I was not sure. The convincer is really really good!
JM
I like this, but am a little amused by the advertising that claimed that if you tear a card into four pieces, the first restoration is magical, but anything after that is "boring". I think a certain Danny Garcia would vehemently disagree.
I agree - this is a beautiful effect, but it doesn't take the place of a piece-by-piece restoration.
Yeah. I had to laugh when I read that. I knew it wss all hype, but it's amazing how they will say anything to sell an item, even to the point of putting down the classics. And the four piece restoration has stood the test of time. And now they are trying to sell me on thelast three pieces restoration being "boring"
Now I admit that the classic restoration does not have the same " off the cuff" feel as Dave's new effect, so when you are looking for that kind of feel, go for Dave's effect. Otherwise, stick with the classics.
So a Winner?
[quote]
On 2012-08-23 19:48, daffydoug wrote:
Yeah. I had to laugh when I read that. I knew it wss all hype, but it's amazing how they will say anything to sell an item, even to the point of putting down the classics. And the four piece restoration has stood the test of time. And now they are trying to sell me on thelast three pieces restoration being "boring"
Now I admit that the classic restoration does not have the same " off the cuff" feel as Dave's new effect, so when you are looking for that kind of feel, go for Dave's effect. Otherwise, stick with the classics.
[/quote]

It was (and is) such a silly thing to say as one of Mr Forrest's recent release was...
yep a 4 piece T&R effect called STAR!! I wonder if that's now 'boring'?
They are both great effects, (STAR and Damage) they are very different, Damage doesn't replace a TnR but it's excellent for what it is, it looks as real as you get
I have one for Sale if interested. Pm me. It's good.
It was (and is) such a silly thing to say as one of Mr Forrest's recent release was...
yep a 4 piece T&R effect called STAR!! I wonder if that's now 'boring'?

Good question!!
Does the effect take a considerable amount of sleight? Whats the cleanliness of the conclusion?
I just received Damage and thought I'd write a quick blurb. This effect actually packs a lot of punch! I also enjoy doing it in an impromptu fashion although I make the tear my whole effect at times. Either way it produces a tremendous reaction. Of course you always get the odd heckler that asks to search through your whole packet, whether in pocket or not (worst pet peeve). I tend to throw this into many other card routines at the end for a visual kicker. You need some basic card skills and found that I had a more "preferred" that I found easier and more hidden. You can milk the restoration to death, which I just love. Probably one of the easiest and most visual tears I've ever encountred. This is what its supposed to look like. I also love that he teaches how to make the gimmicks so no need to worry about pesky refills. I find the gimmick to be very nice and durable although I could care less if it was durable because they're so easy to make. All round great product!
[quote]
On 2012-05-14 14:28, Phatmeat wrote:
[/quote]

That card sure did look torn. Nice work, dave!
This may be my best purchase this year in terms of simplicity, visuals and to completely honest, "unexpectedly insane" reactions from the spectators. I'm actally basing this review primarily for that reason because I felt it was going to be one of those fly by tricks that people just say "Hmm .. Neat" but in contrast, they were mesmorized to the point of screams. There are many T&R's out there that require more difficulty and practice whereas you WILL be performing this the same day as you open it. The DVD is short, sweet and to the point. Just how I like it. As usual, Dave is very elaborate in his explanations and offers many different handlings, patter and misdirection, alhtough there is not much needed at all, trust me. Personally this is an "impromptu" effect. I'll just finish up say an "Ultra Gum" and after the cheers I'll begin "Damage". I say "Now this is one of my favoite card tricks of all time" and "accidently" rip a card and pretend to be devistated because it was my favorit decks. Then I say "luckily I'm a magician so I've been well trained to handle these situation" and simply HEAL the card on both sides in a way that anybody who does not have this trick yet needs to experience. The illusion, if performed correctly (which it will be) is mind boggling. When you heal the front they're already jumping up and down, but when you heal the back of their signed card and give it to them for complete examination, they just look like a deer caught in headlights. You can see in their eyes that it will take a few seconds for their brain to absorb what they've just witnessed.

HIGHLIGHT:
Dave teaches how to make the gimmick in detail and it is a 2-5 minute job. And believe me when I say that the gimmick is UNBELIEVEABLE! For those of you who have ever read any of my reviews, you know that it is extremely rare for me to say that there are absolutely NO limitations. Even the cleanup is childs play .. there basically is no cleanup.

If you want reactions, bang for your buck and a whole lot of fun, BUY DAMAGE NOW. This was my first Dave Forrest purchase and I am an instant fan! Put the item in the shopping cart before you talk yourself out of itand you'll see what I mean.
I certainly like the look of this as I don 't really do any T&R in my repertoire ,did get PHUZED and found it to fidily,so mmm thinking about this one.Oh how much and where can I purchase, it anyone?.
£15 for the download only, £18 for DVD with gimmick and free download.

1st post and not sure if hyperlinking to purchase pages is allowed but if you internet search "full52 damage" on any search engine apart from Bing it should take you straight there.

To me this is a great effect and some well developed thinking; I feel the handling is as simple and straightforward/streamlined as a T&R can get (maybe excluding reform by the same creator).

Steve Haynes touched on this but the real strength of the effect and the reason why I think the reactions are so great is that you can do the final restoration from a damaged card to a healed one slowly with empty hands while away from the deck and then just hand it straight out.

Also if you go for the "off the deck" handling then needing both hands to do the final restore gives you the perfect excuse to put the deck in your pocket for a moment and clean up when you take it out again.

If you like this then check out "1st aid box" which is a T&R card case by Cameron Francis also available at Full 52 which again is quite straightforward to do. I don't think that you would want to do them both in the same set but having both in your repertoire has its benefits. If someone who's seen you do Damage asks you to show it to a friend you can act like you're happy to oblige them but tear and restore the case instead, or vice versa.

I'm sure this has occurred to anyone who has both.
Great suggestion! And thank you for the nice mention! :)
No worries Cameron, credit where it's due. I've got a lot of respect for your work so a positive response from you to my 1st post means a lot, thank you :)
[quote]
On 2012-11-13 12:31, Stevie Tricker wrote:
£15 for the download only, £18 for DVD with gimmick and free download.

1st post and not sure if hyperlinking to purchase pages is allowed but if you internet search "full52 damage" on any search engine apart from Bing it should take you straight there.

To me this is a great effect and some well developed thinking; I feel the handling is as simple and straightforward/streamlined as a T&R can get (maybe excluding reform by the same creator).

Steve Haynes touched on this but the real strength of the effect and the reason why I think the reactions are so great is that you can do the final restoration from a damaged card to a healed one slowly with empty hands while away from the deck and then just hand it straight out.

Also if you go for the "off the deck" handling then needing both hands to do the final restore gives you the perfect excuse to put the deck in your pocket for a moment and clean up when you take it out again.

If you like this then check out "1st aid box" which is a T&R card case by Cameron Francis also available at Full 52 which again is quite straightforward to do. I don't think that you would want to do them both in the same set but having both in your repertoire has its benefits. If someone who's seen you do Damage asks you to show it to a friend you can act like you're happy to oblige them but tear and restore the case instead, or vice versa.

I'm sure this has occurred to anyone who has both.
[/quote]
Fantastic info ,thankyou very much,all the best.
Please comment on the reset. Do I have to have a handful of gimmicked cards to reset?
KJ
This is a different way to approach the whole TNR theme…..if you want to do 4 pieces do it that way, but if you'd like a very easy yet convincing way to do more impromptu feeling effect, I would highly recommend "Damage". As usual Dave doesn't disappoint!

Thanks for sharing this with us Dave, its worth every penny!

Happy Holidays!

Bk
Ok I was so late to join he discussion . Anyways I just ordered this effect . After seeing many nice reviews , I am sure I will like it .
It will probably arrive next Thus ...
You know, I am going to have to re-visit this effect. I just love threads like this and it makes me take a second look at something I have had for a while. Maybe I am thinking like a magician here, but it was that first tear of the FRONT of the card I was concerned about. Great illusion, but I thought it would not fly. The BACK tear of the card is perfect, another great illusion, but now that I look at it again I have to remember the reason I originally bought it, which was to a layman, it has to look so real. And it really does. I'm breaking this out again as soon as I get home from work tonight.
Dave Forrest really puts out a lot of good stuff. I never realized how many of his effects I have!
There at so many TNR in the market . However , I really dislike the other ones where you fold the card into quarters and bla bla bla ... You know what I meant right ? It takes up a lot of time to start the restoration and it tends to be a little boring sometimes .

This , on the other hand , takes one split second to rip the card " anywhere " , then another split second to restore it . It is that visual , simple and organic . And that's the main reason why I decided to purchase this effect although it is not the newest effects out there .
This look awesome I have many torn and restoration tricks but this look the best I see.