(Close Window)
Topic: Beer Drinkers Corner
After responding to a post concerning our favorite sandwiches ZeroG suggested having a post on Beer. Well, here it is. Beer not only opens people up to discuss many different topics but is a topic in and of itself. I am an avid Ale drinker and a collector of anything beer related. As I mentioned in the thread on Favorite Sandwiches, I love Arrogant ******* Ale. I did not know that ******* was a forbidden word on the Magic Café' (sorry but it is the name of the Ale). I enjoy Arrogant ******* Ale because it is the Hoppiest Ale I have found to date. If anyone knows of a Hoppier Ale, I would love to hear about it. The pride and joy of my massive beer bottle collection is one of the last bottles of Red Star to come out of East Berlin (the wall came down less than a month after purchase of the beer). I also have a "virgin" Red Star label and a piece of the Berlin Wall, laminated in a block of acrylic. That's it for now, I'll be interested in hearing from drinkers and collectors.
Hoppy Trails
Iven :patty:
:band: :stout: :dancing:
Three Floyd's Alpha King is a nice hoppie ale too! Not as strong as Arrogant B. but pretty nice!
I'm more of a wine drinker, but that's partly because good beer is hard to come by.

My top favourite beer is Old Thumper. I went to a beer festival last year and very much enjoyed Exmoor Beast. If I'm after something a little sweeter then Old Peculiar's quite nice. I used to enjoy Tanglefoot when I was younger but it's not so much to my taste nowadays.

For readily accessible and reliable beer I drink Guinness. If Old Thumper were available everywhere it would be a different story though!

:cheers:
Schneider Weisse & Budweiser Budvar (not the stuff from St. Louis) are my two current favorites.
In my local pub John Willie Lees Bitter otherwise known as gut rot. Newcastle Brown Ale tends to have the desired effect. Miller Genuine Draft is an excellent drink.
Cheers :cheers:
I've not had Newcastle Brown for a while. Used to be one of my favourites. Smooth and reliable!
Toohey's Super Dry from down under is the perfect brew!
:stout:
Usually not the bottled stuff though the draft. Suppose its not a real beer though neither's Bud but I'm quite fond of that.

real beer: I like Bass (live keg), Old Speckled Hen (bottled) and I love testing ales in pubs with micro-brewerys. Mark (magicjosh2) is lucky because Manchester has several pubs like that
Magicgeorge,
We also cater for our Irish friends round my area with several Irish themed bars.
:wavey:
MagicGeorge - I like Old Speckled Hen draft, but not so much in a bottle.

Anyone ever been to a beer festival? I'm going to another in November. They're friendly and very loud!
I also enjoy a glass or two of wine once in awhile as well as an occasional beer.
My favorite as of now is probably Negro Modelo.

Cheerio

GlenD
Hey GlenD,

Prefer red or white (as a rule)? I much prefer red. I'll drink anything red apart from Sirah which affects me much like if you eat ice cream too fast (a wierd sort of spiky headache up above my nose). Strange, but it affects a work colleague of mine in the same way.

I find Merlot pretty stable (ie. even the worse quality ones are still gluggable). I tried to "appreciate" wine more a couple of years back. Problem is I'm too busy drinking it to notice much.

(My father-in-law will have my guts for garters for saying that!)
I've tasted my fair share of beers and most of them I didn't care for. I prefer Budweiser or Coors light. I also enjoy wine on occassion. And going with Beetroot I too prefer red wine. You should try Yellow Tail Merlot 2002 from Australia it's very tasty. If you can find some Merlots from the Okanagan here in B.C. I also recommend them.
Sorry, I don't drink any kind of alcohol or wine. I just wanted to mingle with you. :pepsi:
In case anyone didn't notice - looks like Dynamike's the designated driver!

;)
Hey Beetroot,
I like about all of them ! :babyface:
I enjoy reds, especially Italian wines. I used to really like Cabernets but now I enjoy a little more lighter types. The main reason might be due to food. I find that I order wine with my meal most often when I am at an Italian restaurant and I really like those Chiantis. But I like whites too and have a preferrence for Rieselings. Ever since my wife and I went to our first crush party a few years ago and "discovered" rieseling. They are getting more popular and growing in the types available locally as well.
I don't drink all that often so when I do it is always a tough decision as to which one to go with.
Nice topic.

GlenD
Chimay, Guinness, Beamish, Murphy's, Waggledance, Leffe Blonde, Hoegaarden, ...
Message: Posted by: Craig Krisulevicz (Oct 11, 2003 06:55PM)
Victory Hop Devil and Victory Prima Pils
[quote]
On 2003-10-10 15:26, magicjosh2 wrote:
Magicgeorge,
We also cater for our Irish friends round my area with several Irish themed bars.
:wavey:
[/quote]

Funny you should say that. I used to work in an Irish theme pub in Manchester. I was head barman in O'Sheas's in town for a while.
Mark (Farrar) - you've reminded me of Chimay. I've only had it once (this is the trappist monk ale?). It was good. There were two different bottles I seem to recall but can't remember the difference. It was bought for me by a colleague in Belgium before they stocked it in Tesco.

As for the stout - Guinness is number 1 for me, with Murphy's a really close second. I'm afraid Beamish is not on my list. Too sweet for my liking.
Someone on the alt.magic NG had the following signature. I'm surprised no one here thought to post it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" - Benjamin Franklin.

of course, there's the other side;

"Beer! Now there's a temporary solution!"
&
"Beer! The cause of and solution to all of life's problems!"
Homer Simpson :pepsi:
Bass

Fosters

Killian's Red

And if DYNAMIKE is the designated driver ... I'll take the backseat with the girls.

http://www.EyesandMinds.com :comply:
Bigfoot Barleywine Ale
Does this still fall in the Beer bin?
Sort of a cross between Cognac and a hoppy ale.
Mark
I hate to say it but nothing beats a Nice Cold Bud on a hot summer day or while watchin a good football game!

Although here in Canada our beer is a little stronger than the US.... :goof: So I could be a little bias!

P.
Nothing goes better with a good mexican meal than Negro Modelo.

Nothing goes better with everything else than a classic mix of Guinness and Bass. (although, Yeungling makes a decent black and tan).

Maybe Wolfgang can help me remember the Weiss beer that is loaded with yeast sediment and is still brewing in the bottle. I remember taking about 2 minutes to pour 16 ounces, else it would overflow like a witch's cauldron!
[quote]
On 2003-10-12 12:08, ALEXANDRE wrote:
And if DYNAMIKE is the designated driver ... I'll take the backseat with the girls.
[/quote]

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm leaving my assistants at the bar tonight while I drive away.
[quote]
On 2003-10-12 22:23, blindbo wrote:
Maybe Wolfgang can help me remember the Weiss beer that is loaded with yeast sediment and is still brewing in the bottle. I remember taking about 2 minutes to pour 16 ounces, else it would overflow like a witch's cauldron!
[/quote]

Sounds like a delicious German hefe-weizen to me.

Ones that I like that are easily found: Schneider Weisse, Franziskaner, Erdinger, Weihenstephaner, Tucher, Paulaner, and Ayinger.

My advice, blindbo, try them all.
I'll add Anchor Steam and Newcastle Brown Ale to the mix...my current favorites...

Dan
Not much of a drinker but the bar I work at has had a special on sierra nevada for $2.00 a pint! Great Beer.

:cheers:
[quote]
On 2003-10-12 20:59, Peter Loughran wrote:
I hate to say it but nothing beats a Nice Cold Bud on a hot summer day or while watchin a good football game!

Although here in Canada our beer is a little stronger than the US.... :goof: So I could be a little bias!

P.
[/quote]

I've lived in the US for just over a year. I moved from Canada and I miss the beer more than my family. At least its cheap down here, but it's just not the same. I AM CANADIAN.
Newcastle and anything by Samuel Smith!!!! :cheers:
Now that we are on the subject of Beer, does anyone else Homebrew? I just bottled a good belgian wheat beer and a dark tavern ale brewed with real guiness malt, heavy but very tasty. I am getting in the supplies to brew a holiday spiced ale known as Rudolphs reindeer P***. If anyone wants a good supplier of malts, hops and such, PM me and I'll turn you onto a good supplier that I have been dealing with for a while now.
All the Best
Marty
Homebrew!! Yes, been through that stuff. Done it the hard way with dried hops, malt, brown sugar, fermenting keg etc. etc. Sure is a fine way to put on weight and become alcoholic!! (not that I ever was). Now up 'ere in yonder North of England (quote: from the Slaughtered Lamb Pub in American Werewolf - "keep off the moors lads, and God be with you") - there be a fine brew called Robinsons. I also recently noticed a beer called "Dogs Bol*oc*s Ale" (yes really!!) - but don't know what it tastes like. "Beware the moon"!! :bat: